Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
4,650,067 views Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 15:12   #4216
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: COK\BLR\MYS
Posts: 3,380
Thanked: 9,497 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

^ That is a royal ripoff Sahil.

The first four items and labor charge if applicable is all you should be paying for.

I also wonder why the first four items are so expensive though.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 15:20   #4217
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 132
Thanked: 43 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review



Though Compass manual recommends against use of EPB for such emergency braking, is this something true of other vehicles with EPB ? (i.e it use as emergency brake )
Revention is offline  
Old 5th April 2023, 18:14   #4218
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 11
Thanked: 2 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Hello everyone!

New to the forum, although I have been an avid reader of this fantastic forum for many years but only recently I got the oppertunity to be part of this community.

So, I got my new Jeep compass model S petrol AT delivered a week back. Planning to post a detailed thread about the delivery experience and the initial impressions after purchase.

Meanwhile if someone can throw some light on the bumpsteer that I have been experiencing. I hope I am using the term correctly. The drive is perfectly aligned on smooth road without any untowards pull but on bumpy road, at slow speed, I feel the steering jolt, kind of the steering turning in and out on every bump. Only happens at lower speed.

Is it normal of the lower assisted hydraulic steering that the compass has?

I was driving elite i20 before and the bump steer wasn't as pronounced as the compass. Tyre pressure is as per recommendation.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd May 2023 at 04:53. Reason: Minor typos.
Stark7426 is offline  
Old 5th April 2023, 18:57   #4219
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 143
Thanked: 66 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

I really feel stupid in asking this question as I might be missing something very obvious. Jeep is now showing need to fill in the AdBlue. I do have a 5L container purchased from Jeep dealership. Question is where to find the plastic nozzle to use while filling it? None came when I refill container and nothing in the jeep kit itself. Searched and searched but cannot find the answer.

Can some fellow Jeep owner please help.

-Sameer.
samyboy is offline  
Old 5th April 2023, 21:10   #4220
BHPian
 
pgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 215
Thanked: 159 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
+1 to that. The foremost reason I let go of the Compass just after two years was the pathetic gearbox. It's slow, very noisy to the level of getting on my nerves and a poor performer in city traffic conditions.

It saps all the grunt of the engine and let's down the whole vehicle.

Looking at how it is used in all variants of Compass for last 5 to 8 years it's highly unlikely they will be able to tune it further. If they could they would have done it.

I find it impossible to believe that they are not aware of this issue and still don't do anything yo fix it. They simply can't.
Agree to all of your observations and happy to see that I am not the only one facing and most importantly talking about this. Jeep Management is not even acknowledging the issue. Partly because I think many apparently don't see this as an issue or might have gotten used to it. I am finding it difficult to do any of these and inspite of my best efforts I am unable to learn how to drive this vehicle with a "light foot". In fact I am looking for someone who can teach me "how to drive Jeep compass with a light foot"

My Jeep Petrol 1.4 Auto Model S has been to the dealership 4 times already only with this issue. I have spent hours and burnt gallons of petrol, doing test drive with these folks just to explain what the problem is but you can't make one understand if they don't want to understand. They term it "normal" but how can this be normal if this has such a big impact on day-to-day drivability! Actually, they should rather accept that this is as a "defect" which causes this performance lag in lower gears.
pgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 09:19   #4221
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 238
Thanked: 645 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Agree to all of your observations and happy to see that I am not the only one facing and most importantly talking about this. Jeep Management is not even acknowledging the issue. Partly because I think many apparently don't see this as an issue or might have gotten used to it. I am finding it difficult to do any of these and inspite of my best efforts I am unable to learn how to drive this vehicle with a "light foot". In fact I am looking for someone who can teach me "how to drive Jeep compass with a light foot"

My Jeep Petrol 1.4 Auto Model S has been to the dealership 4 times already only with this issue. I have spent hours and burnt gallons of petrol, doing test drive with these folks just to explain what the problem is but you can't make one understand if they don't want to understand. They term it "normal" but how can this be normal if this has such a big impact on day-to-day drivability! Actually, they should rather accept that this is as a "defect" which causes this performance lag in lower gears.
I guess I'm one of those customers that don't have a problem with this gearbox and engine combo. I'm a sedate driver who only likes to speed on highways or when the road is empty and this car handles the horrible Delhi-Gurgaon rush perfectly well. I don't even have an issue performing quick overtakes in moderate traffic.
sid3091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 10:04   #4222
BHPian
 
pgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 215
Thanked: 159 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I guess I'm one of those customers that don't have a problem with this gearbox and engine combo. I'm a sedate driver who only likes to speed on highways or when the road is empty and this car handles the horrible Delhi-Gurgaon rush perfectly well. I don't even have an issue performing quick overtakes in moderate traffic.
And this is why I need to be absolutely sure that there is no problem with the mechanics of the car that I own - Any idea how do I check if the gearbox is working fine?

The problem I have is when you take off (especially in the morning) the RPM will go past 3000 RPM before changing to the next gear. So, the car will make lot of noise but would not move as fast. And this is a problem when the traffic light turns green, I end up holding the traffic or need to ride on the accelerator resulting in high level of noise, low acceleration and low mileage. This also happens suddenly when in traffic it shifts to a lower gear and it holds the gear till the RPM goes upward of 2.5k before upshifting. The interesting thing is sometimes it behaves completely normal changing the gears at the right time. Therefore, makes it really difficult to replicate the issue.
pgupta is offline  
Old 6th April 2023, 10:22   #4223
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: COK\BLR\MYS
Posts: 3,380
Thanked: 9,497 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I guess I'm one of those customers that don't have a problem with this gearbox and engine combo. I'm a sedate driver who only likes to speed on highways or when the road is empty and this car handles the horrible Delhi-Gurgaon rush perfectly well. I don't even have an issue performing quick overtakes in moderate traffic.
Bangalore is either #1 or #2 in the world in terms of traffic congestion, so those who are used to a decent MT equipped car will have different expectations out of their AT equipped vehicles after an upgrade.
Kosfactor is offline  
Old 6th April 2023, 10:33   #4224
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 238
Thanked: 645 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
And this is why I need to be absolutely sure that there is no problem with the mechanics of the car that I own - Any idea how do I check if the gearbox is working fine?

The problem I have is when you take off (especially in the morning) the RPM will go past 3000 RPM before changing to the next gear. So, the car will make lot of noise but would not move as fast. And this is a problem when the traffic light turns green, I end up holding the traffic or need to ride on the accelerator resulting in high level of noise, low acceleration and low mileage. This also happens suddenly when in traffic it shifts to a lower gear and it holds the gear till the RPM goes upward of 2.5k before upshifting. The interesting thing is sometimes it behaves completely normal changing the gears at the right time. Therefore, makes it really difficult to replicate the issue.
So I actually used to face that for about 6 months till I gave my car for servicing in November. I believe the Jeep guys tweaked the software which made the transmission a lot smoother and more responsive. None of my friends seem to find it slow either - even the ones with DSG equipped Superbs and Slavia's.
sid3091 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 11:56   #4225
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Chennai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 27 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
I really feel stupid in asking this question as I might be missing something very obvious. Jeep is now showing need to fill in the AdBlue. I do have a 5L container purchased from Jeep dealership. Question is where to find the plastic nozzle to use while filling it? None came when I refill container and nothing in the jeep kit itself. Searched and searched but cannot find the answer.

Can some fellow Jeep owner please help.

-Sameer.
You can use a normal funnel for refuelling Adblu. You can find them in hardware shops.
Adblue is now available in most petrol bunks. I usually get mine topped up at BP. They have 10 ltr and 20 ltr packaging. So the leftover you can take with you. Some of their pumps even have an adblue dispenser, just like fuel dispenser.
AW1972 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 13:50   #4226
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: KOLKATA
Posts: 39
Thanked: 20 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
I really feel stupid in asking this question as I might be missing something very obvious. Jeep is now showing need to fill in the AdBlue. I do have a 5L container purchased from Jeep dealership. Question is where to find the plastic nozzle to use while filling it? None came when I refill container and nothing in the jeep kit itself. Searched and searched but cannot find the answer.

Can some fellow Jeep owner please help.

-Sameer.
You can use a normal funnel available in local stores or get the plastic nozzle from the service centre. The service centre gave me one when I told them about the problem to fill up on my own.
abhaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 18:21   #4227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 143
Thanked: 66 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW1972 View Post
You can use a normal funnel for refuelling Adblu. You can find them in hardware shops.
Adblue is now available in most petrol bunks. I usually get mine topped up at BP. They have 10 ltr and 20 ltr packaging. So the leftover you can take with you. Some of their pumps even have an adblue dispenser, just like fuel dispenser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
You can use a normal funnel available in local stores or get the plastic nozzle from the service centre. The service centre gave me one when I told them about the problem to fill up on my own.

Thanks both. I will get a plastic funnel and use it with utmost care. I wanted the one that's given out with AdBlue to avoid any spillage. But your suggestion should work just fine provided done right.
samyboy is offline  
Old 6th April 2023, 20:14   #4228
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 65 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
So I actually used to face that for about 6 months till I gave my car for servicing in November. I believe the Jeep guys tweaked the software which made the transmission a lot smoother and more responsive. None of my friends seem to find it slow either - even the ones with DSG equipped Superbs and Slavia's.
I totally agree. I have a petrol automatic and it's a wonderful SUV. I drive in Bangalore and I have no issues. It can also set a blistering pace on open roads and it's as fast as the Jeep diesel automatic in the 0-100 mark. Therefore, no complaints on performance either.
bangaloreguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 20:32   #4229
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 35
Thanked: 42 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark7426 View Post

The drive is perfectly aligned on smooth road without any untowards pull but on bumpy road, at slow speed, I feel the steering jolt, kind of the steering turning in and out on every bump. Only happens at lower speed.

Is it normal of the lower assisted hydrolic steering that the compass has?
I use a diesel automatic Compass. It seems that I felt this jolt a few times while crossing steep bumpers. This, I guess, might be due to the weighted steering control which looses up at lower speed to let it turn with light touch. I am not completely sure if we are talking about similar steering jolt though, but for my case, it seemed normal. It is never something grinding or pulsating jolts.

And I think Jeep's steering is way heavier than Hyundai steering, but, it felt lighter than my previous Polo.

However, having said all that, I would suggest to get it checked once if anything is failing mechanically.

Thanks.
d2krish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 21:29   #4230
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 11
Thanked: 2 Times
Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2krish View Post

However, having said all that, I would suggest to get it checked once if anything is failing mechanically.

Thanks.
I think it's the same thing. The jolt or sudden turn of steering towards the tyre which lands on bump.
Nothing is failing, it's just that I wasn't sure if what I am experiencing is a matter of concern or it's normal. Happy that's it's the usual behaviour.

I read everywhere, that the compass has stiff suspension, but at lower speed like crawling on undulated surfaces, it's can get a wobbly. I think that's the tall body DNA of an SUV. At higher speed it's quite stable.

Thankyou for the reply. Cheers.
Stark7426 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks