Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2023, 21:31   #4276
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

So today i completed the 2nd free service at 1 year interval Sky moto Akurdi Pune. The car, a 1.4 petrol manual had completed 5574km. Here's my service experience below :

The car was taken in the bay sharp at 0930hrs as per appointment and paper formalities completed. As the car had only done 5000 kms, the service advisor didn't recommend wheel balancing and alignment. Also their balancing and alignment machine was broken.

Now the staff i must say were really cooperative and polite and were explaining stuff that i asked questions for. At this point the service advisor recommended for 2 years extended warranty for rs. 35K to which I agreed. The service also included 2 software updates one for the infotainment system and one for the ECM. All was going well till it was time for the oil change.

I saw that the technician along with the service advisor was about to put Mopar SAE 0W20 diesel engine oil to which I immediately told them to stop and check with their system the correct grade and type of oil since this was a petrol car. They both confidently replied that 'don't worry sir, all bs6 petrol cars we have been putting the same oil diesel or petrol doesn't matter'.

I started downloading the Jeep user manual but by then they had already filled the oil. I took photos of the act as well as the oil can and advised the service person that i will be sending this oil change matter along with the photos of the oil and the user manual showing that the manufacturer recommended oil for the 1.4 multiair is 'SAE 0W30 for gasoline engine' to Mopar and FCA. I told them that i need a signed letter from sky moto that substituting a low viscosity oil meant for diesel engine is acceptable instead of the OEM recommendation for higher viscosity gasoline engine oil.

At this point the service personnel told me not to send any email and talk to the general manager and then disappeared in the GMs office. Their spare parts section actually had the SAE 0W30 in stock. After about half an hour i was called to the GM's office and here they all accepted that it was a mistake on their part and agreed to drain the oil and fill it up with the correct recommended oil.

Now here's another strange observation. When he was opening the oil cans i noticed that the front sticker showed it is a gasoline oil but back sticker said it is a diesel oil but same grade. Check attached GIF. So i really don't know what these guys are up to and where they get their material from. My only worry is that there might have been some damage to the engine because before replacing the wrong oil the car was run idle for the software patches update for nearly two hours. When he drained the wrong oil it came out almost black as opposed to pale yellow when it was poured.

Next horror came when the car went for washing. They pressure washed the car with the tail gate open till i told them to stop. By then water had gone inside the boot space. Next they washed the floor mats which were of fabric and were about to put them back in the car in a wet dripping state. Another strange practice i saw was pressure washing inside an open bonnet all over the engine, battery and engine bay which I found ridiculous.

The servicing finished at 5pm, bill came to just about 7K. Initially they had quoted 9.5K, so I'm guessing this was a 'pacifying the customer' act due to the engine oil issue.

All this made me think for a while that if I had accepted the first oil change and if something were to go wrong with the engine would they have refused repair under warranty citing wrong engine oil used by customer? Or is this some kind of scam?

I appreciate that they at least owned up to their mistake but that was only after i escalated the matter.
I can't even imagine ever of dropping off the car here for servicing and staying home. One will never know what would happen to the car in the owner's absence. And they plainly told me that they have been putting this SAE 0W20 diesel engine oil in all the bs6 petrol cars lately.
Attached Images

Last edited by argchoff : 4th May 2023 at 21:34. Reason: Added one more line
argchoff is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 11:46   #4277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronos596 View Post
This looks like a LHD variant, similar to the Brazil spec Compass below -:
Attachment 2446890
After reading your post I asked the Jeep Sales person I had been in contact with from the time I was considering the Compass and this was his response:

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_7363.jpeg

He did not answer my question regarding the taillight change and Sports feature addition but instead confirmed the discontinuation of the Petrol Jeep Compass entirely! with no information on if it will return.
Maky is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 12:28   #4278
BHPian

Did he give any reason on why the Petrol Compass is being discontinued? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
After reading your post I asked the Jeep Sales person I had been in contact with from the time I was considering the Compass and this was his response:

Attachment 2447400

He did not answer my question regarding the taillight change and Sports feature addition but instead confirmed the discontinuation of the Petrol Jeep Compass entirely! with no information on if it will return.
Old 5th May 2023, 13:07   #4279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks4077 View Post
Did he give any reason on why the Petrol Compass is being discontinued? Thanks
He did not. Nor did I pursue it further. Such news really does not bode well for the future of Jeep in our country.

I want to be optimistic and say they will return the Petrol Compass with the updated features as shared above and perhaps that RDE norms were the reason they stopped production to clear existing stocks, but realistically speaking they could have already done that by now as other manufacturers too had halted for RDE norms but resumed MY2023 manufacturing by March-April 2023.
Maky is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 18:11   #4280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When some car makers have stopped making Diesel cars & have moved to only Petrol or electric, how can Jeep India discontinue petrol models?
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 18:19   #4281
BHPian

Quote:
He did not. Nor did I pursue it further. Such news really does not bode well for the future of Jeep in our country.

I want to be optimistic and say they will return the Petrol Compass with the updated features as shared above and perhaps that RDE norms were the reason they stopped production to clear existing stocks, but realistically speaking they could have already done that by now as other manufacturers too had halted for RDE norms but resumed MY2023 manufacturing by March-April 2023.
When i checked with my SA, he said the same that petrol is discontinued now but will be re introduced after June. I asked if it will be updated with sport mode and E20 compliance, he was'nt sure.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 20:10   #4282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2447400

Take it with a grain of salt. Salesmen are low level grunts and generally have no clue of anything the coorporate higher ups are planning until they are called in for training for a specific model.

And even when they do know, they will likely tell you whatever helps them move a model. Case in point: When I was looking at the prev gen X1 last year, I asked why there are no discounts when the features have been significantly reduced and wouldn't the internationally launched current gen make this obsolete when it arrives here in a year. Senior BMW salesrep guaranteed that the new gen X1 wouldn't arrive here in a year.

Well, the new X1 is on our roads now.
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 21:47   #4283
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2447400

I can concur on the same. I asked Jeep Landmark Mumbai SA, and he said that Jeep Compass petrol is discontinued.
parthdmaniar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 14:29   #4284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark7426 View Post
Hello everyone,

So I just started having a very weird problem.

When I am going above 80 Kmph, after the warning tone comes.. somewhere around 90 a werid static starts coming from one of left speakers. I am unable to isolate where the sound is coming from exactly. It's like a static heard during bad reception of a radio channel.

Althe first time it happened today, I just slammed the brake fearing if something was sparking inside the engine bay. Then, later when I tried replicating the issue, I understood it's more of a static from one of the speakers.

I am driving petrol AT model S bought in March.

Any idea what it could be.
I had encountered the exact same issue. It took me two weeks to figure out the source. It is not from the speakers, though feels very much like it. Behind the front doors and just at the start of the engine compart, there is a moulded polyurethane foam. Just move it up or down a bit and then drive. For me the sound disappeared.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img202305061407392.jpg  

AW1972 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 23:06   #4285

Quote:

Attachment 2447400

Hi Jeep lovers, I am also looking for Jeep Compass Petrol AT and for that i contacted Jeep sales person in Chandigarh and Delhi. At present they are only selling old variant i.e pre RDE compliant and are giving handsome discount.

One SA told me that they have no knowledge of new RDE petrol engines or whether Jeep will introduce it or not. Another SA told me that a new petrol engine is being tested at present and will be released soon and this could bump the price also.

I am in two minds whether to buy the old variant (which is on discount) or wait for the RDE compliant version.

I have few questions -

1) Is it possible that Jeep will come up with a better petrol engine (by better I mean more or same power with better FE)?

2) Will the RDE compliant engine be also E20 compliant? As E20 compliance is not made mandatory

3) How can Jeep sell non RDE compliant engines after 1st April 2023? Will there be any problem in car registration (though SA is saying there will not be)?

Thanks
delphi_dl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 21:58   #4286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi_dl View Post
I have few questions -

1) Is it possible that Jeep will come up with a better petrol engine (by better I mean more or same power with better FE)?

2) Will the RDE compliant engine be also E20 compliant? As E20 compliance is not made mandatory

3) How can Jeep sell non RDE compliant engines after 1st April 2023? Will there be any problem in car registration (though SA is saying there will not be)?

Thanks
- You may have to look up which existing Petrol engines Jeep sells the Compass with internationally besides the 1.4L Multiair to get a better idea on options. Jeep India will surely not be putting any more money into refining or developing a new Petrol engine wiht improved Power/FE for this average selling vehicle in our market.

- Being RDE complaint does not necessarily mean the engine is e20 fuel compliant as well. They are mutually exclusive. One will need to see an official announcement stating their particular vehicle is e20 fuel complaint to confirm.

- As far as my understanding goes, the govt. did not allow non-RDE compliant engine/cars to be manufactured into 2023, however they did allow non-RDE stock to be sold/registered.
Maky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 23:14   #4287
BHPian

Quote:
- You may have to look up which existing Petrol engines Jeep sells the Compass with internationally besides the 1.4L Multiair to get a better idea on options. Jeep India will surely not be putting any more money into refining or developing a new Petrol engine wiht improved Power/FE for this average selling vehicle in our market.
Given Compass's recent sales, it would make more sense for Jeep India to calibrate the current 1.4 Multiair to make it RDE and E20 compliant.

If at all a new engine is coming, the possible candidates are -:

A. 1.3 Firefly -: Available in 130/150/180 Bhp tunes with 270 Nm of Torque. Currently in use across Europe and Americas for Compass and Renegade in Normal, Strong Hybrid and PHEV variants.

B. 2.4L Tigershark -: Makes 177Bhp, 230 Nm. Used to power Compass in USA and Australia till last year.

C. 2.0 Turbo -: Makes 221 Bhp, 300 Nm. Recently introduced in Compass in USA and Mexico for 2023.

D. 1.5L T4 e-hybrid -: Mild Hybrid introduced for Europe, makes 128 Bhp, 240 Nm aided by 48V mild hybrid setup making 20 Bhp, 55 Nm.

Out of these, the 1.3 Firefly will be the most suitable candidate. Why?
1. It also powers the Meridian(known as Jeep Commander) in Latin America Markets in 185 Bhp, 270 Nm tune.
2. Supports flex fuel, up to E85 in Brazil.
3. At 1.3L, it will also attract lower taxes. (whether our market will accept a 1.3L engine for a car of the size of Meridian is a different thing altogether)
kronos596 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 09:08   #4288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks4077 View Post
Took the car straight away to Reflecton for their UNCR ceramic coating. This is my second vehicle getting the UNCR coating and I must say its really good. It keeps the gloss and shine, makes cleaning easy and amazing hydrophobic abilities. The XL6 lasted for 2 years in pristine condition with the coating before I sold the car off.
Congrats on the new Jeep! Looks great, and also glad to see a fellow ReflectON customer. I also had a great experience with them for my car. Relieves me to hear that the coating has lasted well for 2 years plus.
IonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 10:12   #4289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
Regarding the sluggish gearbox response as posted by others, I too had faced the same. Low fuel economy (10-11 Km/L) & slow acceleration below 60 km/Hr. I did a bit of research and went ahead for a remap from Wolf Moto. Their quoted post remap figures were 210 BHP & 420 Nm of torque along with a 15% increase in fuel economy. I went ahead and post remap the vehicle feels very responsive and smooth. The in cabin droning noise during acceleration has almost disappeared. The Jeep feels smoother to accelerate and reach 100 km/hr in roughly 1-1.5 seconds less, though I have not timed it. In-gear acceleration has improved tremendously and vehicle barely lags. Fuel efficiency ranges from 13-15 km/L depending on traffic and speed maintained, earlier it was around 10-11 km/L. And most importantly, gearbox seems to hold the right gear 90% of the time and even when it upshifts, there is ample torque to power up and the vehicle comes into powerband instantly.
I would suggest owners unhappy with the performance to give it a try. I’m attaching a photo of the fuel economy after a highway drive with moderate traffic.
Attachment 2427822
I own a Jeep Meridian, bought a month ago. I'm a little less acquainted about remap. Could you please tell me more about the Remap, its Pros and Cons.
Also if there are any reliable remap options available in Pune.
Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by graaja : 9th May 2023 at 10:14. Reason: Minor typo: let >> less
Old 9th May 2023, 12:48   #4290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwar19 View Post
I own a Jeep Meridian, bought a month ago. I'm a little less acquainted about remap. Could you please tell me more about the Remap, its Pros and Cons.
Hi and congratulations on your Jeep. Remap mainly alters the state of tune of the ECU making the engine produce more power, thereby increasing the flat out acceleration, in-gear acceleration and throttle response making the vehicle feel faster and peppier to drive.
For the Jeep Compass/Meridian, a remap is a must. It transforms a slow and heavy feeling vehicle into a missile.
Harsha89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks