Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2023, 15:53   #4321
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
I get the feeling that compass sale in India was never a priority for FCA. They mostly stayed in India focusing as a manufacturing hub for cars that are shipped to Australia and other countries i.e. with that 2.4 litre tigershark engine and selling their 2.0 turbo diesel engine to Tata and MG. That seems to be their main business in India.

They seem to have dumped the aging 1.4 multiair petrol engine for the Indian market. Since 2019 this engine was already being phased out in EU. So it might have been a case of getting rid of the unsold inventory in the case of the petrol engine.
So I checked the FCA Jeep site (Link) and found that the 1.4 Multiair is not yet globally discontinued. Apart from India, it is still present in
1. Africa -: Jeep Renegade (Egypt, South Africa, etc)
2. Caribbean -: Jeep Compass (Jamaica, Trinidad, etc)
3. Asia -: Jeep Compass in Philippines, Nepal (exported from India)

The 1.4 Multiair could still be in use due to -:
a. Lower quality of fuel available
b. Less stringent emission norms in these countries.

Ideally, Jeep should have brought the 1.3 Turbo with the 2021 facelift itself to India. But looking at the last 6 months' sales numbers, it doesn't make business sense now.
kronos596 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 16:38   #4322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
2023 4x4 S AT Test Drive
  • The gearbox. I said it is less dog-poop but that is still dog-poop to some degree. At a certain point I needed the full output of the engine. Put my foot down all the way.
    It took 2 seconds. IT TOOK TWO SECONDS! Yeah, I can live with it but compared to this, Scorpio-N and Fortuner torque converters feel like an F1 sequential transmission.
  • No physical controls for ventilated seats. It's right there on the screen but I would just rather avoid using the screen other than for 360, navigation and music.
  • Cannot see the bonnet despite cranking seat height to the max.
  • Brakes are bad. Better than Vento but bad. Not very confidence inspiring. Scorpio/Fortuner/Crysta stopped and slowed exactly how I wanted.
  • A semi dog-poop gearbox like this could be redeemed with paddle shifters but no.
  • Does the subwoofer even work?
  • Overpriced by a couple of lacs but it is totally worth it. Hardly any cars that are not overpriced these days.
  • Ground clearance is way too low for such a nice off-roader
While not totally vetoed out, it remains on the list alongside the Scorpio-N and used Fortuner
My opinion on your cons as an owner of the Petrol S AT

1. Agreed about the ventilated seat controls. It's irritating to use on screen, but thankfully you can set shortcuts in the main home screen.

2. Not an issue for me, but I can understand it might be frustrating

3. I love the brakes. I extensively tested the XUV700, Taigun GT, Seltos and Harrier and found the Compass to be the best amongst the lot. They've saved my skin a few times.

4. Petrol Auto has been called dog-poop by many but honestly I can't understand why. It almost always finds the right gear and is so smooth and predictable in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Also, it's because smoother and faster after the first free service.

5. Yes, the subwoofer works very well. I've set the bass in the equalizer to 3. Any more and it makes the car shake.

6. Agreed completely. It's expensive, but so is everything else and the Compass S is fully loaded.

7. Can't say much about this, but I've faced some hideous roads and rural tracks with my 4x2 and it's tackled them all with no issue.
Old 20th May 2023, 17:20   #4323
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Petrol Auto has been called dog-poop by many but honestly I can't understand why. It almost always finds the right gear and is so smooth and predictable in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
From what I've heard, petrol's 7-DCT is far better tuned than the diesel's ZF9. I can live with the ZF9 but would probably get annoyed easily. I've been using DSGs all my life. I just have to plan overtakes better or go manual mode. It's just that all other torque converter vehicles that have driven, have responded pretty well (except all AMTs and Merc GLA 7-DCT)
DSG DQ200, DQ250, XUV500's Aisin and BMW's ZF8 are benchmark for me. The ZF9 shifts like I am playing Crew 2 on a low spec PC.

Quote:
3. I love the brakes. I extensively tested the XUV700, Taigun GT, Seltos and Harrier and found the Compass to be the best amongst the lot. They've saved my skin a few times.
Could be a particular issue with the TD vehicle. The brakes were working fine but it felt like I had to really step on it. Is it the progressive braking tech that it starts slow and builds up braking? If yes then that's very uncomfortable.

Quote:
5. Yes, the subwoofer works very well. I've set the bass in the equalizer to 3. Any more and it makes the car shake.
Strange. I had bass at +9 and others at +3. Even the EQ one the phone was bass favoring. Tried turning off surround sound but it didn't help.

Quote:
6. Agreed completely. It's expensive, but so is everything else and the Compass S is fully loaded.
I absolutely cannot disagree. It is a fantastic vehicle for sure. But considering my budget and only wanting to get the S variant, I must go the used route (which is not an issue, considering the build quality of everything).

Quote:
7. Can't say much about this, but I've faced some hideous roads and rural tracks with my 4x2 and it's tackled them all with no issue.
It is definitely more than the usual hatch on stilts but for someone who's cross shopping with the likes of Scorpio N and Fortuner, I think extra GC will give me some piece of mind about off-the-road situation.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 20th May 2023 at 17:21.
Old 21st May 2023, 11:32   #4324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
@T. Singh you're welcome
Any members have experience with removing the 80/120 km/Hr warning beep in Jeep compass face-lift? It's most annoying especially after the Remap since the vehicle hits the ton in no time.
Hi Harsha 89,

I have changed the speeds at which the warning starts through the controls given on the steering. Don't remember the exact sequence but it is there. Hope it helps.
On the other hand, I feel the warning is helpful in keeping us aware about the dangers of high speeds as during driving a car like compass many a times you reach high speeds in no time without realising it.

Regards
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 15:57   #4325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Hi Harsha 89,

I feel the warning is helpful in keeping us aware about the dangers of high speeds as during driving a car like compass many a times you reach high speeds in no time without realising it.

Regards
The droning noise keeps me aware of the speed without looking at the cluster

In all seriousness, the Jeep reaches 80 km/hr too soon, and it's a constant irritation hearing bings & bongs every few seconds in moderate traffic.
Harsha89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 14:51   #4326
BHPian

Quote:
I have changed the speeds at which the warning starts through the controls given on the steering.
Regards
I think the controls on the steering wheel are for 'active speed limiting'. i.e. you can prevent the vehicle from going beyond a certain speed.

The 80kmph and 120kmph alerts are required by law and there's no straightforward procedure to work around this, at least not in Compass.
vinodvaddi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 17:31   #4327
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Need your wise inputs here. Mine is a Diesel Manual Compass, 8 months, 5000 kms old. Today my brother while taking it to Uttarakhand, nainital area, during a police checkpost stop, around 10kms before his destination, noticed a severe burning smell in the cabin. He noticed smoke in the engine bay area. There was no display of engine heating up on the display, engine oil was at normal level when he started the journey, coolantlevel too is up to mark. What could be the reason. Shall he start the vehicle after sometime or should it be atrayto send it back to add on a flatbed. Adblue level has not been checked but it should be ok.

The Jeep support is not providing any backup vehicle. Nor are they willing to take it to Noida instead of Dehradun. Noida would be closer to my place of stay.
Regards

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2023 at 21:41. Reason: fixed typos
Old 29th May 2023, 20:39   #4328
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Need your wise inputs here. My compas is diesel manual, 8 months, 5000 kms old. Today my brother while taking it to Uttarakhand, nainital area, during a police checkpost stop, around 10kms before his destination, noticed a severe burning smell in the cabin. He noticed smoke in the engine bay area. There was no display of engine heating up on the display, engine oil was at normal level when he started the journey, coolantlevel too is up to mark. What could be the reason. Shall he start the vehicle after sometime or should it be atrayto send it back to add on a flatbed. Adblue level has not been checked but it should be ok.
The jeep support is not providing any backup vehicle, not are they willing to take it to Noida instead of Dehradun. Noida would be closer to my place of stay.
Regards
This may be a sign of a burnt clutch if your brother was using it too much clutch while driving. There is also an option to check the ad blu level you can check the same in the car display. Also the first time i refilled my ad blu was at the 8K mark.

Try the Mopar RSA number 18001025337. They will help you out with some initial diagnosis as well

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2023 at 21:42. Reason: Formatted
AbhishekMushran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 00:55   #4329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekMushran View Post
This may be a sign of a burnt clutch if your brother was using it too much clutch while driving. There is also an option to check the ad blu level you can check the same in the car display. Also the first time i refilled my ad blu was at the 8K mark.

Try the Mopar RSA number 18001025337. They will help you out with some initial diagnosis as well
Thanks for the reply. The car is being shifted to ASS Noida through RSA Jeep, by a flatbed.. Let's see what do they find tomorrow.
Regards
Old 30th May 2023, 06:11   #4330
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Need your wise inputs here. Mine is a Diesel Manual Compass, 8 months, 5000 kms old. Today my brother while taking it to Uttarakhand, nainital area, during a police checkpost stop, around 10kms before his destination, noticed a severe burning smell in the cabin. He noticed smoke in the engine bay area. There was no display of engine heating up on the display, engine oil was at normal level when he started the journey, coolantlevel too is up to mark. What could be the reason. Shall he start the vehicle after sometime or should it be atrayto send it back to add on a flatbed. Adblue level has not been checked but it should be ok.

The Jeep support is not providing any backup vehicle. Nor are they willing to take it to Noida instead of Dehradun. Noida would be closer to my place of stay.
Regards
I had a similar situation about 2 days after completing the 2nd free service at Pune service center. Mine is a petrol manual compass completed just over 5000km at the time of the incident.

We were on vacation to Mahabaleshwar and the wife was driving. There was a steep slope to climb on a sharp turn on the road to the Nirvana agro resort from Mahabaleshwar.

She had misjudged the incline and tried climbing in 3rd gear with the obvious result of the car losing power. However instead of putting it in lower gear she pressed hard on the accelerator on half clutch for maybe around 10 seconds before realising the mistake. Eventually after engaging 1st gear things went well.

However after a few minutes when we reached the resort a very strong rubber like burning smell was felt in the cabin and on parking and disembarking we realised that the smell came from under the hood. It dissipated after about 10 minutes.

Very next day at Raireshwar fort while i was trying to reverse on that narrow ridge the car lost traction for a few seconds due to loose deep gravel. After some time when I eventually managed to gain traction i got the same smell but wasn't as strong as the previous day.

I too feared clutch burn issue, however the car's been running without any issues since and i have driven it around 1500km after that without any more incidents of this burning smell.

I'm just hoping it is not a clutch issue as i have heard rumours that petrol clutch set is extremely expensive as compared to the diesel car and may not even be readily available in India since petrol variants are discontinued.
argchoff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 08:08   #4331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post

I'm just hoping it is not a clutch issue as i have heard rumours that petrol clutch set is extremely expensive as compared to the diesel car and may not even be readily available in India since petrol variants are discontinued.
Last week at an off-road event near silent valley in Kerala I had asked about this clutch cost. The support staff from Pinnacle Jeep mentioned it will be around 25000.

PS: The organisers at the event were repeatedly reminding us not to half clutch. I tried my best still I think I got a mild rubber burn smell when I went near the hood at one part of the trail. Scared me a bit but the car has been running absolutely fine so far.
Night Raven is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 19:58   #4332
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Regards
Finally the Car reached Noida ASS aftera frustrating 24 hrs.
Following are the photos of the clutch plates sent by the Service advisor. He says that they are gone and need replacement. He says he has requested the company to replace them free of cost as a goodwill gesture. The car is under warranty and has run just 4700 kms
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0031.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0030.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0029.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0028.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0026.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0027.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0022.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0017.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0023.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0019.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0018.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0020.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0021.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20230531wa0025.jpg  

Last edited by fawad0222 : 31st May 2023 at 20:00.
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 09:45   #4333
BHPian

Quote:
Finally the Car reached Noida ASS aftera frustrating 24 hrs.
Following are the photos of the clutch plates sent by the Service advisor. He says that they are gone and need replacement. He says he has requested the company to replace them free of cost as a goodwill gesture. The car is under warranty and has run just 4700 kms
Dear Wise Men,

Do you think that clutch plates were burnt and needed replacement.

Regards
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:03   #4334

Service advice for out of warranty Jeep Compass

Hi,

I have been quoted 32,500 Rs for my Compass's 5th year service.

Current ODO is at 37,532 Kms which is way less than 75000 Kms or 5 year service/parts replacement recommendations by Jeep.

The quotation provided to me includes:

Routine service charge | 6500
----------------------------------------------
Oil & Oil filter | 5000
Air filter | 1100
Windshield washer fluid | 300
AC filter & disinfection | 1600
Diesel filter | 3500
Timing Belt | 9000
EGR System Service | 3100
Brake oil | 750
Wheel alignment & balancing | 1900

What are the things for which I am being overcharged, not needed, or would be better to get done from outside here?

I am from Ahmedabad btw. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 3rd June 2023, 02:20   #4335
BHPian

Since the vehicle is over 5 years, I assume that the warranty is over. In such cases all the jobs can be done outside if you know a reliable mechanic. Will save you a lot. Timimg belt and chain can be postponed. Wheel balancing and alignment will cost you under a thousand bucks if done outside. Windshield washer fluid is nothing but distilled water. I use home ac outlet water or rain water. I'm not sure if the EGR cleaning is required at such low mileage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks