Team-BHP - Jeep Compass : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Jeep Compass : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/189786-jeep-compass-official-review-297.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhaumik (Post 5645070)
Is it possible to hardwire a dash cam in Jeep Compass? Has anyone done it yet? I'm planning to get a dash cam installed and trying to see if I can avoid internal wiring and using up the only USB port at the front.

Multiple options are available,

1. USB port from the front or rear cigarette lighter port
2. OBD port connector - 70MAI has OBD port connector which can be plug and play
3. Hardwire from fuse box - this option is also available with 70mai wire kit. would recommend not doing that as this can void the warranty as an external connection to the Jeep internal systems.

Trust this helps.

Dear All,

Is there any way to move the vertical left side menu to right side in Apple Carplay on Jeep Compass? I have tried but have been unable to do the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameerpb (Post 5645342)

1. USB port from front or rear cigrate lighter port

I have a doubt regarding using one of the two USB ports at the front (one type C port and one type A port) for powering the dashcam.

In case I use one of the ports for the dashcam and the other to connect the phone for CarPlay, is there a possibility for the head unit to get confused by recognising the dashcam as a media source?

Inputs from Compass owners who power the dashcam this way would be very helpful.

I have connected the dashcam to the rear USB port as that is the least used. Now even if you connect it to the front USB port, the head unit will probably ask if you wish to switch user. So it should not be a problem. I would also like to add that the wiring stay out of sight if you connect it to the rear USB port.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameerpb (Post 5645342)
3. Hard wire from fuse box - this option is also available with 70mai wire kit. would recommend not to do that as this can void warranty as external connection to the jeep internal systems.

I checked with the service centre today, and they denied to doing this as well. I'm waiting for some reference pics of how they have done. I'm hoping to find a way which does not block any of the USB ports.

But then my understanding is that the parking monitor mode will not be working. Is that right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auto freak (Post 5645621)
I have a doubt regarding using one of the two USB ports at the front (one type C port and one type A port) for powering the dashcam.

In case I use one of the ports for the dashcam and the other to connect the phone for CarPlay, is there a possibility for the head unit to get confused by recognising the dashcam as a media source?

Inputs from Compass owners who power the dashcam this way would be very helpful.

You can use A type usb port, may be you take an extension box and add.

Pls refer a picture below.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-beacbf941dc64ba9b50e867ed0c5f27c.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhaumik (Post 5646418)
I checked with the service centre today, and they denied to doing this as well. I'm waiting for some reference pics of how they have done. I'm hoping to find a way which does not block any of the USB ports.

But then my understanding is that the parking monitor mode will not be working. Is that right?

As I said before, Using hard wiring may cause warranty issues. The above picture may help you. Also, there are 2 ports at the rear seat underneath the AC vent. USB A type and cigarette lighter, those 2 also can be used to power dashcam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhaumik (Post 5645070)
Is it possible to hardwire a dash cam in Jeep Compass? Has anyone done it yet? I'm planning to get a dash cam installed and trying to see if I can avoid internal wiring and using up the only USB port at the front.

I had lifted off my ddpai screenless dashcam from previous car and fixed it on the drivers side of the IRVM with a good 3 M tape . Ran the micro usb cable from the cam under the roof liner with help of two plastic clips to keep it in place across the front and then pushed it inside the a pillar trim, routed it across from inside the glove box and plugged it to the USB A Port. I use the C to charge my phone so A was unused as such. The device works well. Doesn’t conflict as a storage device with the Head Unit and remains on for some time and switches off after the car is switched off and locked also. Haven’t had any problem as such and looks fairly neat only the wire is grossly visible from the port to the glovebox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ad47 (Post 5616731)
Hello fellow bhpians! This is my first post on the forum. I had been reading all the advice/information on the forum for the past 13 years since I was in college but got my membership a few months back only after i got my first four wheeler- a pre-owned Jeep Compass, for which I required some much needed advice. I am really indebted to the moderators for approving my membership to this esteemed forum. I hope to be an active member and participate in the discussions.
About me- I am mechanical engineer working with Railways and have experience of handling a Diesel Engine depot/shed with a holding of over 200 diesel and electric locomotives consisting of ALCO, GM and WAG7.
I have much to share about my ownership experience. Will do that in a separate post later.
I would be really grateful if I could be added to the Delhi-NCR Jeep whatsapp group for now.
Thanks

This was my first post here on the forum, which might have gone unnoticed, so just quoting it. I would like to dowsize my 18” wheels to 17” and get good AT tires in that size. I have gone through previous posts on this thread on the same but could not make out much. I have shorlisted 2 sizes, 1. 225 65 R17 and 2. 235 65 R17. Size 1 is within the 3% variation limit while size 2 is around 4.5%. I have 1 question-1 Can option 2 with 4.5% variation be used. Also I need suggestions on 17” best AT Tires apart from Yokohama Geolander. Is pirelli scorpion all terrain plus in 225 65 R17 available anywhere in India, I am inclined towards it but can’t seem to find. Thanks in advance.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ad47 (Post 5648922)
This was my first post here on the forum, which might have gone unnoticed, so just quoting it. I would like to dowsize my 18” wheels to 17” and get good AT tires in that size. I have gone through previous posts on this thread on the same but could not make out much. I have shorlisted 2 sizes, 1. 225 65 R17 and 2. 235 65 R17. Size 1 is within the 3% variation limit while size 2 is around 4.5%. I have 1 question-1 Can option 2 with 4.5% variation be used. Also I need suggestions on 17” best AT Tires apart from Yokohama Geolander. Is pirelli scorpion all terrain plus in 225 65 R17 available anywhere in India, I am inclined towards it but can’t seem to find. Thanks in advance.:)

I have 18” on my 2022 Compass, so dont really have a first hand experience of 17” sizes. However, going by many views and opinions on the Bangalore Jeep Club group, many members have recently opted for 235/65/17 and they dont seem to have any issue at all. If you dont mind the slight deviation in the speedo readings, 235 would be ok. On the Tyre brand, Yokohama Geolandar is the most popular choice in this size. I think Yokos offer fantastic all round performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ad47 (Post 5648922)
I would like to dowsize my 18” wheels to 17” and get good AT tires in that size.

best AT Tires apart from Yokohama Geolander.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorworks (Post 5649370)
On the Tyre brand, Yokohama Geolandar is the most popular choice in this size. I think Yokos offer fantastic all round performance.

Geolander AT is a fantastic tire, but I don’t think it is suited to the character of Jeep Compass. Compass is a purely road based crossover, front wheel drive, literally a hatchback on stilts. It’s a highway car. Trailhawk models aside, it can’t off road. Even the 4x4 is a light soft roader meant to only get you through things like mild snow or a bit of slush. AT tires will add a lot of road noise and compromise the high speed behaviour. Unless you have specific rough roading requirements, you will be better served by investing in high quality highway based tires for better road grip, wet weather performance and lower noise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKKK (Post 5645600)
Dear All,

Is there any way to move the vertical left side menu to right side in Apple Carplay on Jeep Compass? I have tried but have been unable to do the same.

The country selection in your iphone is causing this. Your phone needs to be configured with India region and CarPlay will show this on right side. The country might be USA as of now. iPhone is over-smart to decide which side your are driving depending upon country you choose.

Very well put Shreyans Jain, your narrative was spot on. The Jeep 4x4 is basically a soft off roader and not meant for serious off roading

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 5649390)
Geolander AT is a fantastic tire, but I don’t think it is suited to the character of Jeep Compass. Compass is a purely road based crossover, front wheel drive, literally a hatchback on stilts. It’s a highway car. Trailhawk models aside, it can’t off road. Even the 4x4 is a light soft roader meant to only get you through things like mild snow or a bit of slush..

My bad! I missed the fact that we were talking specifically about Geolandar AT tyres. There are two versions in Geolandar, one called as Geolandar AT and the other called as Geolandar SUV. Now, i have no idea if the Geolandar SUV tyre is available in 17” for the Compass, however I had used these tyres on my earlier car, a Creta and they were fantastic in terms of grip and all-round ability.

However, i disagree with your comment that the Compass is a “hatchback on stilts” and its a “highway car”. I have been to some Jeep events conducted by the Bangalore Jeep Club and I have seen the Compass do some really great stuff off-road and Im not talking just about the Trail hawk version. I know the Compass is originally based on the Fiat 500x platform, but its capabilities have to be acknowledged and given due. I mean, we call cross overs like the Creta, Seltos as Cross overs stating that they have no real 4x4 and when a car like the Compass gets it and does demonstrate fair amount of off-road ability we then call this too a “hatchback on stilts”. I mean, whats not then, right? By this logic, how do we classify a Fortuner 4x2? Many monocoque cross overs have 4x4 capabilities and are fairly capable off-road.

Not defending the Compass here, but lets give credit where its due. The Compass is no “Defender” but its no slouch on most common offroad conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorworks (Post 5650887)
However, i disagree with your comment that the Compass is a “hatchback on stilts”
Not defending the Compass here, but lets give credit where its due. The Compass is no “Defender” but its no slouch on most common offroad conditions.

Compared to other softroaders like Seltos , Harrier and Creta, Jeep Compass AWD is better but even Trailhawk has its limitation. From our beloved BHPian Anshuman’s channel

https://youtu.be/z2BfKgvMnJ0?si=ApCWpq_2rJaHpFGW