Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2017, 10:52   #586
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Called for the Compass Petrol DCT for our review. Beautiful colour; with the black roof, she looks smashing. Taking her out on the highway tomorrow. Can't wait to enjoy her high speed behaviour, and also get to know the petrol + DCT better.

Omkar had a short spin and said the petrol isn't as impressive as the diesel.
Smashing looker indeed. Hoping to see a review soon. Only problem is that this is a turbo petrol and not a naturally aspirated one. Could be a pain for city driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Took delivery of my Compass 4x2 Limited last evening in Coimbatore. The compass will be replacing my 2011 Linea.

The experience with SRT was excellent. Right from the test drive, to booking and delivery, everything was seamless and they delivered on promised date and time. Shall put up my ownership log in a while
Congratulations! Looks awesome
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 11:21   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The Jeep Compass is on sale in India at a price of between Rs. 14.95 - 20.65 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you won't:

• Turning radius of 5.65m is more than the Safari Storme's. Also, 17º approach angle is too low

I wanted to understand the significance of the 17º approach angle. What does this mean and what are its implications/drawbacks please?

Also, 5.65 m turning radius - is it really a big deal/problem?
Old 4th November 2017, 12:19   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundeep View Post
I wanted to understand the significance of the 17º approach angle. What does this mean and what are its implications/drawbacks please?

Also, 5.65 m turning radius - is it really a big deal/problem?
Not a big deal unless your parking slot requires a sharp turn of 90 degrees or more to get into it and there is insufficient space at the front of your parking slot. The turning radius is an issue if your society parking is very cluttered and space is at a premium.

Most of our public roads will not be an issue. There might be some problem on very narrow roads having sharp turns.

I just have to reverse one extra time to get in or out of my parking slot as compared to the Fiesta. This small difficulty in parking is ably compensated by the pleasure I get in driving the Compass.
RedRaider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 16:06   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
Not a big deal unless your parking slot requires a sharp turn of 90 degrees or more to get into it and there is insufficient space at the front of your parking slot. The turning radius is an issue if your society parking is very cluttered and space is at a premium.
Oh, good!

And what about the 17º approach angle?

What does this mean and what are its implications/drawbacks please?
Is it a big problem? When does it matter and when does it not matter?
Old 4th November 2017, 16:10   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Only problem is that this is a turbo petrol and not a naturally aspirated one. Could be a pain for city driving
I test drove the turbo petrol Jeep quite recently and quite liked it.

I may be wrong, but I thought it was peppier than the Hyundai Tuscon Diesel (Auto gear variant).

Is this consistent with spec figures and is this also what others think or am I wrong here and that Hyundai Tucson Diesel Auto is a more driveable and peppier car??

Last edited by Aditya : 5th November 2017 at 09:53. Reason: Typo
Old 4th November 2017, 17:22   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, good!

In very simple terms, approach angle is the angle formed by an imaginary line starting at the bottom of the front wheels with the horizontal ground above which some portion of the vehicle will touch the ground.

If you are approaching a ramp from a plane surface, the ramp can only be at 17 degrees or less to the horizontal. If this angle is more, the front fender ( or some other portion ) will scrape the ground.
RedRaider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 17:27   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, good!

Guess this screenshot will help you understand.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot_20171104172151_01.jpg

Source: https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/...f-roading1.htm

Does not have much significance unless you go offroading. Well technically even super big speed breakers or super steep ramps may affect, but an approach angle of 17 degree should get you through the steepest of ramps in our cities.

Last edited by vibbs : 4th November 2017 at 17:28.
vibbs is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 19:32   #593
BHPian

Just back after the brief TD of the diesel compass.
Saw the car in flesh for the first time. The show room was busy (Pinnacle Jeep, Cochin) with almost 3-4 deliveries in the evening. Saw all the variants and colours. Had a feel of the interiors, seats and trim. Loved the solid build and seats. Dashboard plastics were a let down, comparable to the ecosport. Not something expected at this price range. The central console was disappointing with the piano black plastic around the screen looking ugly, more than what is seen in the C segment these days. Was not happy with the rear seat space, though knee room is adequate. This rear seat will not be comfortable for three.

The cock pit is really good looking though. The dials and MID screen oozes quality. The steering felt really good to hold and the dummy switches on the right side was an eye sore. The clutch had huge travel and was tight. The gear shifts were precise and much better than the competition.

Drive was good. It did not launch as I had anticipated. The pick up was sluggish below 1500 rpm. The first gear was too short. The clutch was super heavy in my opinion. It had long travel too. Could not take her to open roads. The second and third gears were good and it reached 60 in a flash. Encountered some thick bumper to bumper traffic for a round 10 minutes. My left calf started aching due to frequent gear shifts. If the traffic is crawling, the car can do slow speeds in second gear. But in Kochi traffic with all the drama using that left foot was a pain. The manual would be a pain to drive in bumper to bumper scenario in my opinion. Got a bit of open stretch and voila, the 2 litre MJD came into its full glory. Post 1.5 to 2k rpm the car pulls cleanly, and is comparable and slightly better than the 1.6 MJD of the S cross. But to get such an open stretch is difficult around here. Loved the car for that performance and feeling of safety. Sad it does not offer 6 airbags in the option pack.

Though lot of features are missing, the limited at 22.52 lacs on the road is a good deal in my opinion. If I would buy a Jeep compass now it would be the Limited Manual 2x4, the only grouse being absence of led lights and 6 airbags. I think I will wait for the automatic 2 L diesel, if it is available in the next year. Traffic around here is getting worse day by day and my knee joints are wearing day by day.

Need to take another TD in open roads. I will be driving the petrol Auto next week end. Lets see how it does in this mad traffic.
sandygordon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 20:44   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
The clutch had huge travel and was tight. The gear shifts were precise and much better than the competition.
The clutch travel was longer, but was very light during my test drive. Infact it was lighter than my Etios Liva diesel. As per the official review "What you'll further appreciate is the smooth gearshift (previously unseen in an FCA India product) and soft clutch". Please enquire with them about the hard clutch next time you go for a TD.

Yes, the vehicle does not launch, but builds up speed very fast even before realizing. Speed masking is very well, excellent NVH also contributing to that.

Longitude (O) is the most VFM option.

Last edited by sups : 4th November 2017 at 20:53.
Old 5th November 2017, 08:40   #595
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Called for the Compass Petrol DCT for our review.
Drove her for ~200 km.

The good:

- Fast performance
- Smooth DCT
- Nice combination of looks, compact size & convenience. I can see why the Compass Petrol AT will appeal to some people. Light steering, tall seating position & smooth shifts made it a breeze to drive in Bombay
- Brakes are adequate even on the AT

The bad:

- Diesel engine is way more impressive. Petrol gets the job done, but doesn't make you smile like the diesel
- In some situations in the city, the kickdown response time is slow. Sometimes, it and turbo lag took 1.5 - 2 seconds to respond! Gearbox can feel dimwitted in certain situations. No problem on the highway though (because engine is usually in 'turbo' zone)
- No paddle shifters or a sport mode on the AT (I'd expect both after spending 23 lakhs)
- Manual mode is way too conservatively tuned (wouldn't even allow me to downshift @ 3,800 rpm in a petrol. Some diesels allow that!!!)

Car has more torque steer than you'd expect from a 160 BHP FWD. 3rd gear, tight corner, I'm focusing on handling the torque steer as much as the corner itself.

Would say that it's overall 'nice', but not 'excellent' (Diesel AT would be something else). Don't even compare this 7-speed dual-clutch to VW's DSG which is a much faster / intelligent / more competent gearbox.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-20171104-10.53.41.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2017 at 09:36.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 09:37   #596
BHPian

Quote:
- Diesel engine is way more impressive. Petrol gets the job done, but doesn't make you smile like the diesel
If you have driven the Ecosport AT in the past, is the Compass any better in power and throttle response than the Ecosport?
Quote:
- In some situations in the city, the kickdown response time is slow. Sometimes, it and turbo lag took 1.5 - 2 seconds to respond! Gearbox can feel dimwitted in certain situations. No problem on the highway though (because engine is usually in 'turbo' zone)
If the gearbox isn't working to keep the engine in the turbo zone, I'd be disappointed. I feel, the Compass is too heavy to be driven by a 1.4L engine in the non-turbo zone.
Old 5th November 2017, 09:53   #597
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Would say that it's overall 'nice', but not 'excellent' (Diesel AT would be something else). Don't even compare this 7-speed dual-clutch to VW's DSG which is a much faster / intelligent / more competent gearbox.

Thanks GTO. Was expecting your report on the drive. The Compass in red does look smashing.

Noticed the alloys are from the Longitude trim.

Is this also a ZF sourced gearbox? Or a Fiat sourced one? 2 seconds on kickdown will feel like eternity. Maybe this will suit the relaxed driver.

Surprised on the amount of torque steer.

Any news on the diesel Auto?

Now that we know that the 9 speed ZF is ready and has been exported to Australia, Jeep should announce their diesel auto launch dates instead of keeping us guessing. A lot of prospective top spec 4*4 Auto customers will be lost to the competition.

Not sure what is the big deal to disclose officially likely date of launch.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 5th November 2017 at 10:03.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 10:29   #598
BHPian

Quote:
FCA milks the 1368cc block similar to how MSIL milks the FIAT 1248cc Multijet. I dislike how Petrols always get the short end of the stick. I guess ours is the only market where diesels are more fun to drive than petrols (in most of the cases).

I believe this engine is imported. They should have gone ahead and given the 2.0 Multiair from Alfa Romeo Giulia making 200PS and 330Nm. Then again, the price could have gone up a bit and the 'petrol engine = cheaper' misconception of our market might have killed the product.

Last edited by theredliner : 5th November 2017 at 10:34.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 10:35   #599
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2017 at 15:19.
sundeep is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th November 2017, 11:26   #600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Drove her for ~200 km.

The bad:

- Diesel engine is way more impressive. Petrol gets the job done, but doesn't make you smile like the
- No paddle shifters or a sport mode on the AT (I'd expect both after spending 23 lakhs)
- Manual mode is way too conservatively tuned (wouldn't even allow me to downshift @ 3,800 rpm in a petrol. Some diesels allow that!!!)

Would say that it's overall 'nice', but not 'excellent' (Diesel AT would be something else).
From your review, is it fair to say that in petrol ATs the Creta probably makes more sense than the Compass? Considering they’re a solid 6-7 lakhs apart on price and almost similarly sized?

I know they’re nowhere in the same segment but I’m actually quite keenly following the new Ecosport as well now. New engine and comes with paddle shift. A great second car option if anyone wants their SUV with a much more compact footprint.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks