Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2018, 11:45   #901
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I have only so far installed ... Philips HIR bulbs ordered from Amazon US.
Hey Behemoth,

Is it possible to share the picture of the bulb or packaging or the Amazon link for this?

I am assuming that it is same wattage as our Sylvanias and have been trouble free for you with a 50% improvement.

I had gotten the official bulb upgrade done through FCA and it is as crappy as the previous one. Night navigation on highways is troublesome.

Unless FCA can fix its projector halogens, it is better to go for Sports/Longitude if one can't afford the HID equipped LTD O.
Old 20th March 2018, 11:48   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Anybody here bought the petrol AT and unhappy with the car? And anybody seen/driventhe petrol MT? The dealership does not have one for test drive.

I have a renewed interest in the petrol variant after smelling some diesel fumes.
I have TD-ed the petrol AT twice.I dont think they have a petrol MT(only available in the Sport Edition) for TD.

I have booked the Blue Petrol AT Limited Edition in early Feb.The sales advisor confirmed yesterday that my vehicle is now in transit.It seems the blue color is not being dispatched within India in high numbers.

Can only confirm my experience after a couple of months
Old 20th March 2018, 12:04   #903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
Hey Behemoth,

Is it possible to share the picture of the bulb or packaging or the Amazon link for this?

I am assuming that it is same wattage as our Sylvanias and have been trouble free for you with a 50% improvement.
Here is the Amazon US link where I got my bulbs from (you will need to buy two of these).
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Stand...liips+HIR+9011
The Bulbs I received were genuine - "Made in Germany"

They are same as the OEM wattage of 65W and minor trimming of the top tab allows them to fit perfectly in the Compass. The light improvement over stock is at least 50% and the beam is much better (though still not as much as HID). The pics of the bulbs are on my ownership thread (link below)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4361379

I wish the Jeep would give its customers an HID upgrade option as the stock lights on the Ltd version are absolutely pathetic. Spending 85K more for the LTD (O) option (it actually cascades even more as the RTO charges etc also add on) is just not worth it. Jeep needs to address this asap as we LTD buyers are suffering and Sport versions are better off with the basic headlight which has dual bulbs and reflectors.

Last edited by Behemoth : 20th March 2018 at 12:23.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 16:56   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
I have TD-ed the petrol AT twice.I dont think they have a petrol MT(only available in the Sport Edition) for TD.

I have booked the Blue Petrol AT Limited Edition in early Feb.The sales advisor confirmed yesterday that my vehicle is now in transit.It seems the blue color is not being dispatched within India in high numbers.

Can only confirm my experience after a couple of months
My TD of the AT was pleasant except for the torque steer which, although warned by multiple reviewers, came in like a jolt.

Am not particularly interested in the MT, but Petrol MT is the most VFM option. And if the gearbox is the fly-in-the-ointment in the P+AT combo, as noted by the reviewers, MT makes better sense. To me a high revving petrol is more enticing than a torqey diesel. In my diesel MT test drive, the engine was losing steam past 4000 rpm. You revv a bit, and suddenly its time to change the gear. That's boring.

BTW, P+AT seems to be the least VFM among the variants. A back-of-the-envelope calculation of the ex-showroom prices indicates that Jeep is charging about 1.5L for the AT box, which gets further inflated to 1.9L when you add the sundries like RTO, insurance etc.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st March 2018 at 10:50. Reason: As requested
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 19:07   #905
BHPian

Is there a VIN decoder for Jeep?

Have been provided MCAAJPCH6JFA27311*3J as my VIN.How does this imply March 2018?
Old 22nd March 2018, 19:09   #906
BHPian

Has anyone got the problematic wind deflector removed? When I asked the service center guys to get it removed, they 'strongly' advised against it as it impacts the overall structural integrity of the front bumper.
Old 22nd March 2018, 21:22   #907
Senior - BHPian

So I took a test drive for the 4x4 diesel version today. Here are my thoughts.

The car is well put together, no doubt about that. The space inside is at best snug. By comparison the space inside the S Cross and the Honda WRV is much more, especially the driver seat.

The overall feel is upmarket no doubt but that feeling of being cramped is definitely there. Mind you that I am 6.1 and weigh 85 kilos and wear an 11 number shoe. So these observations are keeping in mind my frame.

Next is that I felt there is too much electronics everywhere, although that is the way the industry is going, I feel this may be an expensive car to maintain in the long run. Electronics no matter how good the quality do tend to fail.

The seating and even the footwell is cramped. I had to look for the dead pedal and when I found it, it was just about adequate. You have to position yourself as per the car, not that you just fit in. Hope you know what I mean.

The drive is plaint and it feels smooth, however the engine requires downshifting very often. You cannot take a sharp turn in second gear. If you slow to crawling speeds you better shift to first gear or else the engine will stall. Too low torque at slow. Speeds.

The steering is well weighted and as per the sales person it is a dual electric plus hydraulic unit. Apparently designed to give better feel at high speeds.

The boot is average size and not as big as one would imagine looking at the overall length of the vehicle. There is a dummy for a rear 12v outlet in the boot. Why..

The MID unit is excellent with comprehensive details available.

The front bumper has a wind deflector which scraped at almost all the speed breakers I encountered. So that is definitely not going to last.

At 26L on road in Bangalore I did not find it value for money.

Last edited by Traveler : 22nd March 2018 at 21:25.
Traveler is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 10:31   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
I had the same issue. No Jeep merchandize. If they are advertising it on the website, they should get on with it. They even called me to confirm my home address for a 'surprise' gift, weeks before delivery. I did get a surprise delivery of 'nothing'.

I had written to Mangesh who heads FCA after sales operation, and told him that their Jeep Wave was partial, with no merchandize; even when their website advertised otherwise.

He acknowledged the issue a month and a half back. So now I have an authentic Jeep acknowledgement of my issue. I will try to think of the acknowledgement as a merchandize and try to be happy.
Looks like they have taken notice of it , this is what the website states now
There is no mention of Merchandise now.
Jeep Compass : Official Review-wave.jpg
https://www.jeep-india.com/roadside-assistance.html

While we were discussing on this, I had posted a picture of what the website was showing then, which is quoted below for quick reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnuk View Post
As per Jeep India website, they are supposed to do this.
Attachment 1715587
They have edited a few points.
Vishnuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 13:39   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Is there a VIN decoder for Jeep?

Have been provided MCAAJPCH6JFA27311*3J as my VIN.How does this imply March 2018?
Last two characters are 3J - which seems to indicate Mar 2018. 3 for March and J for 2018.

No idea how to decode the other characters in the VIN.
motorsan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 15:59   #910
BHPian

Got a message from my sales adviser at the Jeep dealership that prices are being hiked by 4% from April 1st. I thought the budget proposals are with respect to CBU and CKD vehicles. Anybody have any info?
Quote:
Sir, from April 1st 2018 onwards the price of jeep vehicles increasing due to tax hike in imported engines and parts imposed by central government. So the price hike will be around 4%. Certain models will have change in tax slab as the exshowroom price reaches 2000000
Old 24th March 2018, 00:46   #911
Senior - BHPian

Noticed on the internet.

The front bumper itself got pulled out while towing Jeep Compass.

Is it true ?

Old 25th March 2018, 12:45   #912
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday we did a real world comparison of 0-100 between our Laura and our Compass. The Laura is a 110ps with 250 Nm torque Diesel manual 2012 model with 50k on the odo. The Compass is 170ps 380Nm torque with 8k on the odo. I was driving the Laura and my wife the Compass. The Laura won easily by a good margin! I can say maybe my driving had some role, but I have always felt that the Laura is faster than the Jeep and it was proven yesterday. Also shows to go that mere power and torque numbers don't mean real world performance. It is how the torque is delivered is what matters.
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 19:14   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Also shows to go that mere power and torque numbers don't mean real world performance. It is how the torque is delivered is what matters.

Your forgetting key factors like aerodynamics, weight, gearbox and of course the superior driver.

I do not think that the Compass was ever made for a drag. Each vehicle will be superior on their own turf.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 20:22   #914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Your forgetting key factors like aerodynamics, weight, gearbox and of course the superior driver.

I do not think that the Compass was ever made for a drag. Each vehicle will be superior on their own turf.
Of course all these factors are important and which is why we bought the car! The Jeep is more in its elements on semi broken roads and long highway drives. The Laura on the other hand is a great city car and for good roads. The boot size of the Laura is also amazing (almost double of the Compass in usable space) . The engine is also frugal and gives us consistently 18-19 kmpl in the mixed cycle (and as high as 25kmpl on highways.) The only bugbear is the Skoda service experience which leaves a lot to be desired!
Old 25th March 2018, 21:24   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
Has anyone got the problematic wind deflector removed? When I asked the service center guys to get it removed, they 'strongly' advised against it as it impacts the overall structural integrity of the front bumper.
I wanted to remove before going for the Jeep trails at Goa, but was advised against it. The air dam did scrape at a few places, but wasn't damaged in any of the twenty plus Jeeps. They said that since it's flexible it shouldn't create a problem and it's better to have it especially when you drive at high speeds.

I'm going for my 15k service tomorrow and I've NO plans of taking it off

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks