Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2019, 18:03   #1306
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Congratulations @arun_josie and @abhiram.soma ! Wishing you many happy miles on your steeds!
Arun, this is the upgrade from the Linea. You get all the familiar attributes: solid build, great handling, terrific braking and awesome A.S.S
Any reason you have chosen the Optional Pack? From what I know, you can get a black roof and xenon lamps installed from outside for a lesser cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Took a test drive of the Compass with my cousin. Except for the stiffer ride, we were impressed. If only there had been a Diesel Auto. Few pictures of new Sport plus trim from the showroom:
Thanks a ton! I had heard some news about it but was not sure. I thought it might be an export variant. This should help a lot of Compass owners who want a petrol MT, but with some more kit. The rest (7 inch touchscreen, leather upholstery etc.) can be added on later. Not for me though: I just love the black upholstery!
Did you get to test drive the petrol MT? There is absolutely no information regarding it.

I just visited the Carwale website to check out the new variant. And guess what I see?

Jeep Compass : Official Review-9a7eeb629b954d1a915aeff266b6255e.jpeg
Image source: Carwale - Jeep Compass

There are a total of no fewer than 20 variants! (7 petrol and 13 diesel)
Jeep, what is this? I know this is good for the customers, but can we please have some ‘variant rationalisation’? I’m sure even Hyundai cannot do this!

Some other points (based on the prices displayed on this website only):
-Inexplicably, the Limited 4x4 is more expensive than the Limited (O) 4x4! Is this due to discounts?
-The price of the Limited Plus 4x4 has now increased from about 22.96 lakh to 23.09 lakh

Last edited by aah78 : 11th April 2019 at 18:28. Reason: Picture fixed. Link added to source. Please check Announcements on how to attach pictures. Thanks!
Old 11th April 2019, 18:51   #1307
Distinguished - BHPian

1000 Kms Update:

Jeep Compass : Official Review-1000-kms.jpg

I crossed the 1000 Kms mark, yesterday. So far all is good and I am enjoying this new experience of handling more power. Coming from Linea, this is totally a different world and I am still getting used to it.

The steering was slightly tilted towards the right and I got this fixed at PPS motors.

I didn't like the number plate provided by PPS, it looks small and doesn't even cover the area provided for number plate(especially the rear one). I will look for a better one outside.

During my Bangalore - Chennai(including some 40Kms of city drive) - Bangalore trip, it gave me a fuel efficiency of 15.25 Kmpl. Till Arcot it was around 18.5 Kmpl. And I kept forgetting about the 6th gear.

Within bangalore city(90% on bannerghatta road), for a distance of 150Kms with average speed of 14Kmph, the fuel efficiency is 10 Kmpl.

Keeping the interiors clean is going to be a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
Congratulations @arun_josie and @abhiram.soma ! Wishing you many happy miles on your steeds!
Arun, this is the upgrade from the Linea. You get all the familiar attributes: solid build, great handling, terrific braking and awesome A.S.S
Any reason you have chosen the Optional Pack? From what I know, you can get a black roof and xenon lamps installed from outside for a lesser cost.
Thanks for your wishes!

Regarding Option pack, I prefer getting these things fitted by the manufacturer.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th April 2019 at 19:46. Reason: Typo.
arun_josie is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 17:46   #1308
Senior - BHPian

Trailhawk to launch in July. Was expected in July 18 and now ACI says July 19. Finger crossed.

27 lakhs ex showroom is way too much. I was expecting the price to be around the 24-25 lakh mark.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ly-2019-412311
Old 12th April 2019, 19:40   #1309
Senior - BHPian

The 15 lakh gurkha extreme with front & rear lockable differentials and '4wd low' will run circles around the 27 lakh 'trailhawk', talk about value for money.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 20:05   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
The 15 lakh gurkha extreme with front & rear lockable differentials and '4wd low' will run circles around the 27 lakh 'trailhawk', talk about value for money.
Was that meant to be sarcastic? In case it's not, what sort of comparison is that? A bare-bones/crude offroader with an adequately capable, comfortable, fun to drive, and safe car?

Last edited by Biraj : 12th April 2019 at 20:20. Reason: typo
Biraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 20:31   #1311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
27 lakhs ex-showroom is way too much. I was expecting the price to be around the 24-25 lakh mark.
Limited Plus 4WD Diesel is priced at 23.11 lakhs.

Add 9AT transmission to it (1.5 L?) + BS6 compliant diesel (2L - 2.5L as estimated by various sources when a big diesel engine is adapted for BS6?) = 27 approx?

Not sure how much value can be attributed to all the additional 4WD hardware, but the big price tag may be one of the first casualties of BS6, and should happen to all diesel cars as they are adapted before the deadline of April 2020.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th April 2019 at 20:36.
Old 12th April 2019, 20:52   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Was that meant to be sarcastic? In case it's not, what sort of comparison is that? A bare-bones/crude offroader with an adequately capable, comfortable, fun to drive, and safe car?
It was a serious post. The 'trailhawk' has no rear wheel lockable differential, it has rear LSD and that too ECU controlled. Before going ahead I presume 'trailhawk' will be used by offroaders because for rest of the crowd the 4wd Limited Plus will be more than sufficient.

So coming back to the 'trailhawk' it also has various modes like snow, gravel, rock, clay where the onboard computer decides how best to engage the rear wheel and how to use front wheel braking to achieve the best possible outcome. In a lot of cases while mud-plugging and rock climbing the rear wheel of the trailhawk will slip and will not go over the obstacle smoothly because there is a limit to what a computer can manage.

And thus Jeep came up with both front and rear LSD with lockable rear on the Cherokee trailhawk which is a few leagues and miles ahead of the compass trailhawk in capabilities.

And this is the hardcore offroader Compass 'trailhawk'. Tell me is it wrong then to compare with another hardcore Gurkha extreme which will soon get ABS, power steering, airbags, rear parking camera, seat belt reminder etc by July 2019 and yet really go anywhere unlike compass trailhawk. Now the difference is not that vast for what are both 'hardcore' offroaders.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 22:17   #1313
BHPian

Quote:
Tell me is it wrong then to compare with another hardcore Gurkha extreme which will soon get ABS, power steering, airbags, rear parking camera, seat belt reminder etc by July 2019 and yet really go anywhere unlike compass trailhawk. Now the difference is not that vast for what are both 'hardcore' offroaders.
No matter what we call it in India, Jeep Compass is a crossover, not SUV. The Trail Rated 4x4 is only meant to give it additional capabilities to tackle situations like snow, rough road, etc. It is not a proper or true offroader.

A Compass owner is likely to consider Tucson or Harrier than Gurkha. If ever Force launches a refined and comfortable version of it, it may see some interest from a handful of buyers. Until then, Gurkha is meant only for serious offroaders.

I don't want to get into too much detail on why people consider or don't consider Gurkha as that's for another thread.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 08:39   #1314
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Was talking to someone from FCA about the Trailhawk's drive (happening sometime in June). Got talking about the offroaders among the Support Team and told them there are many - me, Samurai, Khan_Sultan, Jaggu...

Also sent a pic of my Jeep offroading. FCA replies back saying "Nice, but that's a Mahindra ". I responded "Good one, but I could counter that by saying yours is a Fiat" .
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 11:43   #1315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
FCA replies back saying "Nice, but that's a Mahindra ". I responded "Good one, but I could counter that by saying yours is a Fiat" .
Correct!

The new Compass drops the elderly Mitsubishi architecture in favour of a long wheelbase version of the GM Fiat Small platform that already sits under another Jeep - the smaller Renegade.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/motoring/10153...ars-underneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Trailhawk to launch in July. Was expected in July 18 and now ACI says July 19. Finger crossed.

27 lakhs ex showroom is way too much. I was expecting the price to be around the 24-25 lakh mark.
Instead of this variant, they should have first come with an Auto Diesel probably, that would have given them the numbers. Trailhawk will excite only very few guys, in fact, I am yet to decipher who will be their target audience?

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th April 2019 at 11:57.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 16:37   #1316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Instead of this variant, they should have first come with an Auto Diesel probably, that would have given them the numbers. Trailhawk will excite only very few guys, in fact, I am yet to decipher who will be their target audience?
This is their diesel AT right? The showroom over here said it would come in May or June. My cousin who paid the booking amount for the diesel AT is now confused with the upcoming SUV's from Kia, MG. If Compass diesel AT is priced at 25L, he might go for it.
Old 14th April 2019, 22:41   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Add 9AT transmission to it (1.5 L?) + BS6 compliant diesel (2L - 2.5L as estimated by various sources when a big diesel engine is adapted for BS6?) = 27 approx?
I think the Compass diesel engine is already BS6 compliant. Mine has the expensive to repair/replace Diesel Particulate Filter which is one of the prerequisites for achieving BS6 compliance.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 22:53   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Run circles? Do you mean to say that Gurkha has better handling and dynamics? Of course it will be more capable off-roader.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 08:35   #1319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

If they really want to stick around, then they should try to stick within 25L OTR [preferably]. There are no SUV's between 20 - 30 lakhs, they should bank on this. They must try to price competitively, just that they stay afloat and when the brand/model picks up, they can raise its price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Trailhawk will excite only very few guys, in fact, I am yet to decipher who will be their target audience?
Maybe someone like me. Want my next SUV to have a good ride with good comfort, decent cruising abilities without giving me single digit FE. Want it to be decently priced while giving me good NVH, be decently equipped with quality bits.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 09:01   #1320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Maybe someone like me. Want my next SUV to have a good ride with good comfort, decent cruising abilities without giving me single digit FE. Want it to be decently priced while giving me good NVH, be decently equipped with quality bits.
Problem is going to be the Price if we go by the reports or their existing lineup. You or anyone else will think a zillion times before plonking 27 lac on this vs say 32 lac on Endeavour or Fortuner. The kind of road presence or feel large vehicles have to offer makes a tough call picking up something smaller. At least, that's the way I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This is their diesel AT right? The showroom over here said it would come in May or June. My cousin who paid the booking amount for the diesel AT is now confused with the upcoming SUV's from Kia, MG. If Compass diesel AT is priced at 25L, he might go for it.
Trailhawk will be Diesel AT but what I meant was that they should have first launched a regular Diesel AT which is missing from their lineup. That could have given them a lower price point and numbers. They have already lost a lot of time bringing an Auto and going forward as you have pointed out competition is only going to increase.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th April 2019 at 09:09.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks