Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 08:06   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Saw a Compass Sport at a restaurant parking over the weekend and owner said he was not satisfied when I asked him for his feedback. I was honestly taken aback by that response and wanted to know more. It was an interesting conversation and the following are the details.

1) Let's get it out first without adding to the curiosity even though I took a bit of time to understand what he was on about. He likes the vehicle, but it is the variant he has a problem with.
2) He is thoroughly missing the parcel tray, the parking sensors, keyless entry/go and alloys. And that was in that order. What adds to his frustration is that the service center told him adding a reverse sensor and cam is not easy and needs some software updates which they cannot pull off as of now.
3) When I pointed out that the steel discs look good and all he needs is to replace those weights which look very odd with sticker weights, he told me his children hates it. The young ones say wheels are the first things noted by anyone on a new car and so the steel discs have to go.
4) He is otherwise impressed by the vehicle and very happy about the total price he paid which was 18.06 lakhs on road here at Kochi*.
5) But he is having buyers remorse and thinks he should have gone for the Longitude variant which is just a lakh more and has all the features that he is missing badly now.

*Lucky fella! That landing price is going up by around 1.5 lakhs as of today due to the hike in cess.

The conversation was amusing and shows exactly how the general public is wired here in our market. They really do not care about the intangible features in a car or a variant. I don't think he even knows about the armor of safety features which is standard on the Sport variant. I love the fact that Jeep hasn't skimped on ESP, Traction Control, hill hold or the rear wiper among other things on the base variant.

It is no wonder the mass market manufacturers equip their base and mid variants with gimmicks while cutting cost under the skin. While the owner is happy and proud to show off those superficial features and the manufacturer laughs all the way to the bank. It is what sells here! And I sincerely hope we won't see essential features being replaced from the Sport variant by superficial ones.
deetjohn is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 15:06   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Jeep India celebrating their booking # 10,000.
Special treatment, always good to have

Btw just curious, how could have Jeep possibly known that 10000th booking would come from that particular dealership?
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 19:51   #243
BHPian

I will probably get hell for this but, 1st impression is it doesn't look like a Jeep!
Saw one on the road today and it reminded me of the Creta!

When I hear Jeep, I either imagine the Willys or Mahindra Classic or the Thar. Compass doesn't even come close.
Old 11th September 2017, 20:11   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I will probably get hell for this but, 1st impression is it doesn't look like a Jeep!
Saw one on the road today and it reminded me of the Creta!

When I hear Jeep, I either imagine the Willys or Mahindra Classic or the Thar. Compass doesn't even come close.
There are two family lines within the Jeep family - luxury and Utilitarian.

Compass belongs to the luxury lineup and is largely similar to the grand daddy of the lineup - the Grand Cherokee, in terms of design. Hence a lot of reference to the Compass being a baby Cherokee.

The Utilitarian lineup is headed by the grand daddy of it all - the Wrangler. The affordable one in this lineup is the Renegade, which should be launched in India by 2019, once the facelift is ready internationally - and probably at a cheaper price point directly against the Creta.

If you wanted the traditional Jeep looks in a compact SUV package - Renegade would be more suited for your tastes.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jeeprenegadenighteagle05a.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th September 2017 at 20:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 20:15   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Special treatment, always good to have

Btw just curious, how could have Jeep possibly known that 10000th booking would come from that particular dealership?
All bookings are logged into the DMS. This will generate the booking numbers. Cancellation reverses the Gross and provides the net bookings. It is good that the dealers are aware of the numbers, it will surely keep them interested and getting more sales.
Old 11th September 2017, 20:28   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
All bookings are logged into the DMS. This will generate the booking numbers. Cancellation reverses the Gross and provides the net bookings. It is good that the dealers are aware of the numbers, it will surely keep them interested and getting more sales.
Guess his question was - How did they predict booking number 10000 would be at this particular showroom itself? Had the same question myself.

Mostly he would have been selected randomly just based on the dealership for which they were prepared and may not exactly be booking number 10,000.

Nevertheless, a good PR exercise.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 00:05   #247
Team-BHP Support

FCA dealer Celica in Kolkata had arranged for a test drive of the Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited variant, thanks to my school friend Shayan. Team bhpian and avid off-roader senhero was also there. It was a short TD session on road and just a bit of off-road to check the GC and articulation.

Observations after driving on the road -

Apart from the dummy buttons on the steering, the Compass reeks of quality. Any amount of adjectives will not suffice. Superb build quality, powerful, safe, composed, involving are a few that comes to my mind. A customer paying 22 lacs (on-road) for the Limited 4x4 variant will not feel short changed. In other words, I did not find anything to complaint after the on-road session.

Standalone, the car looks quite big and beautiful. Front 3 quarter angle is the best
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_145321.jpg

The 4x4 Limited variant
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_145426.jpg

Well appointed interior. Jeep could give the option of an all black interior in this variant (only the Sport variant has an all black interior)
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_145638.jpg

Size comparison with my Bolero from different angles -
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_152625.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_152700.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_152708.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_152739.jpg

Observations after driving off the road -

A small video to start with

Took the Compass to the nearest off-road destination nearby where we go almost every Sunday. Unfortunately it had not rained for the last few days, so there was no slush. However there were a few ditches where we tried to check the articulation. The biggest problem was the horrible approach angle thanks to that lip below the bumper. It was scraping everywhere. One of the mud flaps also came out while reversing out of a small ditch. There is no problem with the breakover and departure angles. There has to be an after-market solution to the approach angle, otherwise owners who want to take the Compass off-road have to be prepared for damage to the front bumper.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_150943.jpg

Root cause of all the trouble
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_151041.jpg

No issues with breakover angle. The front left mudflap was still there
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_151216.jpg

The mudflap is gone!
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_151253.jpg

Baby Cherokee looks bold and butch from this angle
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_151353.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_151358.jpg

senhero trying to get one wheel up
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_151414.jpg

Not much articulation at the back
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_151421.jpg

Posing with the Compass. Wish I could call it my own
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_151636.jpg

A parting shot!
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170910_153130.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 12th September 2017 at 00:08.
BlackPearl is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 01:34   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

It is no wonder the mass market manufacturers equip their base and mid variants with gimmicks while cutting cost under the skin. While the owner is happy and proud to show off those superficial features and the manufacturer laughs all the way to the bank. It is what sells here! And I sincerely hope we won't see essential features being replaced from the Sport variant by superficial ones.
Couldn't agree more! Our Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol comes equipped with all sorts of bells and whistles but this is where it all ends. The cost cutting under the hood is so damn apparent. Inferior clutch assembly (makes 'tak tak' noise along with other mechanical noises), steering wheel noise (the entire steering wheel unit has been replaced under two years of ownership), AC unit producing strange noise etcetera remind us how sad their overall quality from inside is .

What is more frustrating is the fact that HASS's so called technicians have no answer to the clutch and AC noises. They have repeatedly told us that this is how this car behaves - All these noises come free with Hyundai's complements and we got to live with them .
Col Mehta is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 07:42   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, the only gripe I have with Jeep (on the safety front) is to skip the additional airbags for the 4x2 variants. Otherwise it’s probably is the best equipped car in this segment as far as safety is concerned. For example, a Tucson or a Santa Fe may give you auto headlamps and other comfort features for the base variant, but if you want hill-hold or ESC you need to get the top variant.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 09:49   #250
Senior - BHPian

Today I saw a Compass test mule with black bumpers. The front one was very accommodating as far as off-road is concerned and then I saw the red emblem with text "Trail rated" on the side of the bonnet . I dont know if it was a manual or AT.
neoonwheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 10:11   #251
BHPian

Quote:

Being in automobile sales for the last 21 years (dealer side, of which 11 years in the middle east), I have come across many an incidences, where in the customer has bought a lower variant and within 24 hours come back to the showroom to express regret and request us to replace it with the higher variant and pay the difference. Unfortunately its not that easy. We could only exchange the older vehicle at a 20 % depreciation hit. In many of these cases, even though the customer has made a rational decision (based on his finances), once he starts showing his prized possession to his friends and relations, it is they who tell him about his wrong decision, to which he gets influenced. At this is has lead to the relation between the customer and the sales executive turning sour.

I remember, after many a visit to the showroom by a mother and daughter duo, they finalized a Micra. Took delivery at 1PM. At 4 PM mother daughter duo are back in the showroom with an aggressive son. The son demanding we take back the Micra and give them a top of the range Sunny!

In another case, a customer fell for a black Altima which was on display in the showroom. The showroom lights was enhancing the shine of the car. He paid in full cash and drove away very happily, only to return back in the evening, the car full of dust and grime, expressing his regret in buying the black colour and if anything could be done to give him a silver or white colour instead.

My personal take to all this is be absolutely sure on your your decision, based on your finances and what you would want in a vehicle, not what your friends, relatives and peers would want you to buy.

Last edited by Zappo : 12th September 2017 at 12:21. Reason: Please avoid quoting a long post. Pick only what is necessary for setting the context. Quoted post edited.
ALTIMAed is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 10:58   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Today I saw a Compass test mule with black bumpers. The front one was very accommodating as far as off-road is concerned and then I saw the red emblem with text "Trail rated" on the side of the bonnet . I dont know if it was a manual or AT.
Has to be the Trailhawk! Did it look like a company test car?

A Trailhawk version with AT and panoramic sunroof could be the final nail in the coffin for the more expensive rivals. Hope they launch it soon.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 11:42   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Has to be the Trailhawk! Did it look like a company test car?

A Trailhawk version with AT and panoramic sunroof could be the final nail in the coffin for the more expensive rivals. Hope they launch it soon.
Yes it was a test mule with red plates and camouflaged to an extent. The rear had LED taillights and front had DRLs which indicated top end version.
neoonwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 18:33   #254
BHPian

Jeep Compass to fall in the 7% bracket, as confirmed by WSL Automobiles, Chandigarh. They are willing to invoice and adjust the residual amount once pricing information is released by FCA.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:16   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

At least 2 owners of the newly launched Jeep Compass are complaining of headlights fogging up due to moisture & water seeping inside headlight issues.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-1.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-2.jpg

Feedback from Pradeep Solath (2nd aggrieved owner):

Quote:
If you are planning Jeep Compass in India
Then be careful that the technical team is illiterate and unsound.
I purchased Jeep Compass on 9th August 2017. Very next morning I found moisture in head lamp of car. I went dealer WSL Automobiles Pvt. Ltd. Mohali Punjab.
Service engineer told that it's general phenomena. I asked why it's not in left head lamp. Then he had no answer. I keep visiting for 7 days. Then they changed head lamp.
But the position worsened. This head lamp is almost filled with water in rain. I sent pictures to service head of dealer. He asked me to wait 1 day. I even talked Jeep company service executive. He told that he will discuss with experts in plant. No one called for two days. Then I called dealer and he showed his inability as matter is with company. Surprisingly when I called on Saturday then he told that company says it's general phenomena.
The gap between head lamp joints is visible from naked eyes but they were blind. Then I sent latest pictures of both head lamp. The photos are as under.
It appears that company is treating India as dumping ground that's why very substandard material is used. Shockingly what kind of PDC was done before delivery of car. The quality check of company of head lamp supplied by vendor is pathetic.
His Compass's headlamp section has been replaced under warranty since.

Also, one owner has received this taillamp section as a part of his red Compass.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-3.jpg

Link 1 (Prem Naidu)

Link 2 (Pradeep Solath)

Link 3 (Amit Dhanuka)
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks