Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2017, 11:26   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The front bumper hangs really low and scrapes on even small undulations. I had uploaded a video earlier of the Compass but that was heavily edited by the gopro app called Quik. I am uploading one more without editing. If you watch the last part you will understand how low it actually is. A 2nd gen Honda City of bhpian dip27in did not scrape at this place!

I feel the Compass will be able to meet expectations if shod with proper tyres, provided something can be done about the front bumper. Waiting for somebody to do it and show us the way
If we look at the close up of the Bumper, from your photograph, we can see that the Lip and Bumper are two separate parts.
Looks like the Lip is bolted or latched on to the Bumper.

Should be easy to remove the Lip then.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jeep-bumper.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
This looks same here in India also. I press opened the fuel flap of a limited 4x4 in a service center just to check the capless fuel filler system. Although the car was locked, the flap opened. I double checked by closing and reopening the flap. Normally, if the flap is closed once, it can only be opened by a release lever from inside. If this is true, there wouldn't be any fuel flap release lever in the cabin. There is though an emergency fuel flap release in the boot as shown in below pictures from official review.
A lockable fuel cap is a necessity rather than Luxury for India.
Not sure how the smart cap works, but, could someone insert a steel pipe into it and then siphon off fuel once the caps opens?
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 11:35   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This looks same here in India also. I press opened the fuel flap of a limited 4x4 in a service center just to check the capless fuel filler system. Although the car was locked, the flap opened. I double checked by closing and reopening the flap.
Did you confirm that the car was really locked? the vehicle might be switched off but not locked. I'm asking this because inside the service centre (irrespective of the car brand), they don't lock the car most of the times. With Keyless entry cars, they keep the key inside the car door itself (In Honda ASC I've seen this).
In such a case boot and fuel cap opens from outside. so it's very important to check if the car was really locked

Quote:
Normally, if the flap is closed once, it can only be opened by a release lever from inside. If this is true, there wouldn't be any fuel flap release lever in the cabin. There is though an emergency fuel flap release in the boot as shown in below pictures from official review.

Also wondering where is the boot release lever located? Can't find it in the review.
There in none inside the cabin. This is very similar to many cars (including my GT TSI).
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 12:34   #288
BHPian

Here is the update price list scribbled by one of the dealers. Conscious that there is no update on the Jeep website:

Diesels:
  • Sports - 16,03,000
  • Longitude - 17,07,000
  • Long (o) - 17,89,000
  • LTD - 18,72,000
  • LTD (o) - 19,45,000
  • LTD 4X4 - 20,69,000
  • LTD (o) 4X4 - 21,41,000
Old 15th September 2017, 13:06   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
Here is the update price list scribbled by one of the dealers. Conscious that there is no update on the Jeep website:

Diesels:
  • Sports - 16,03,000
  • Longitude - 17,07,000
  • Long (o) - 17,89,000
  • LTD - 18,72,000
  • LTD (o) - 19,45,000
  • LTD 4X4 - 20,69,000
  • LTD (o) 4X4 - 21,41,000
They have most likely applied the 7% increase. We will have to wait for official figures. Jeep may well decide not to pass the entire 7% to the customers.
Old 15th September 2017, 13:51   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
They have most likely applied the 7% increase. We will have to wait for official figures. Jeep may well decide not to pass the entire 7% to the customers.
It is a 5% that they seem to have applied. This is what it should be, considering that Compass does not have more than 170mm GC.
But agree, that we should wait to hear it from the horse's mouth and keep the fingers crossed in hope of some absorption by FCA
Caesar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 14:12   #291
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Compass on road for the first time today. It was a silver coloured car. I must say it is very impressive. The looks are absolutely smashing! And it looks solidly built too. Couldn't see interiors, so wont comment on it.
Old 15th September 2017, 15:02   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Did you confirm that the car was really locked?
I did not open the doors but all the windows were fully rolled up. Usually in service centers if the keys are kept inside the vehicle, driver side window is rolled down. Even assuming that car was not locked, should the closed flap open by a hand tap? Pardon my limited knowledge, but do the fuel lock system senses the key? (like boot in some keyless cars)

Quote:
There in none inside the cabin. This is very similar to many cars (including my GT TSI).
But those cars (including TSI) have boot release button on the remote which is missing in Compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Not sure how the smart cap works, but, could someone insert a steel pipe into it and then siphon off fuel once the caps opens?
There's a springy flap type cap which pushes inside with the force of fuel pump nozzle and comes back in place once the nozzle is removed.
Old 15th September 2017, 15:22   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did not open the doors but all the windows were fully rolled up. Usually in service centers if the keys are kept inside the vehicle, driver side window is rolled down
for vehicles with keyless entry, they don't roll down the window too. I've seen this during service of our Honda City. there is no risk of the car getting locked out with key inside.

Quote:
Even assuming that car was not locked, should the closed flap open by a hand tap? Pardon my limited knowledge, but do the fuel lock system senses the key? (like boot in some keyless cars)
There will be no separate sensing for individual locks. the central locking system detects the key and stores a value "yes" or "no". All the locks check this value and either open or don't open.

Quote:
But those cars (including TSI) have boot release button on the remote which is missing in Compass.
no button on the remote key is certainly a miss in Compass (although I feel its usefulness is overrated).

Anyway the discussion here was about the fuel cap. when the car is unlocked, fuel cap can be opened. no separate release levers/buttons needed in the cabin.

It is definitely a problem in our country if the fuel flap opens even when the car is locked.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 17:49   #294
BHPian

The fuel cap is locked when the car is locked. It can be opened only when the car is unlocked. There is no separate fuel cap release lever in the car. If you are sitting in the car, just unlock the door so that the fuel attendant can open the flap.

As regards the front fender, the bottom portion is made of rubber and is flexible. Supposed to aid aerodynamics. Being flexible, its scraping the road should not be much of an issue. Its another matter if the fender itself also scrapes over large speed breakers.

Last edited by RedRaider : 15th September 2017 at 18:03.
RedRaider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 19:19   #295
BHPian

JEEP COMPASS REVISED PRICES ANNOUNCED

New Prices (source: Compass official site)

JEEP COMPASS SPORT 1.4MAIR INR 15,16,000
JEEP COMPASS SPORT 2.0D INR 15,99,000

JEEP COMPASS LONGITUDE 2.0D INR 17,03,000
JEEP COMPASS LONGITUDE (O) 2.0D AGR INR 17,85,000

JEEP COMPASS LIMITED 4X2 2.0D INR 18,68,000
JEEP COMPASS LIMITED 1.4MAIR DDCT INR 18,96,000
JEEP COMPASS LIMITED 4X2 (O) 2.0D AD1 INR 19,41,000
JEEP COMPASS LIMITED (O)1.4MAIR DDCT AD1 INR 19,67,000
JEEP COMPASS LIMITED 4X4 2.0D INR 20,65,000
JEEP COMPASS LIMITED 4X4 (O) 2.0D AD1 INR 21,37,000

Old prices:

Variant Price (ex-showroom, Delhi)
Petrol
Sport Rs 14.95 lakh
Limited Rs 18.70 lakh
Limited Option Rs 19.40 lakh
Diesel
Sport Rs 15.45 lakh
Longitude Rs 16.45 lakh
Longitude Option Rs 17.35 lakh
Limited Rs 18.45 lakh
Limited Option Rs 18.75 lakh
Limited 4×4 Rs 19.35 lakh
Limited 4×4 Option AWD Rs 20.65 lakh

Good news is that there is marginal increase in petrol prices of only 20-30k. Whereas diesel has seen a price rise of 55k - 72k. Looks like they have applied the 5% cess hike.

Last edited by reddevilgautam : 15th September 2017 at 19:20.
reddevilgautam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 23:57   #296
BHPian

The new prices are ex showroom prices ? If yes, expect more increase because of increased registration charges ( RTO ), increased insurance, etc.
Old 16th September 2017, 01:36   #297

I'm glad to report that I've booked a 4 X 2 Limited in Red today from Landmark Worli, Mumbai. I'll be getting the Dual tone black roof with the side pillars, the Chrome kit, the Side steppers, the front two ambient light kit as additional accessories. By the time I booked it (5pm approx) they mentioned they didn't have the official pricing yet so the exact amount was still to be confirmed-which I was told will happen for sure by the evening. And it seems to have been done, as per reddevilgautam's post. Should get my proforma invoice tomorrow for the actual amount.

I had taken the Longitude for the TD a month ago and have to say, I couldn't stop dreaming of owning this beauty. I have only owned tiny cars earlier and my current vehicle is a 7 year old i20, which has clocked 76k km, and has served me well in Bombay, only for city driving. The Jeep Compass had been on my mind since many months now ever since I heard of its coming to India around Feb/Mar, and finally, out of impulse, I left work in the middle of the day and made the booking at the showroom. Why the impulse? A colleague of mine was sitting with me at lunch and extolling upon the virtues of owning the Ford Ecosport and how she has been dillydallying on buying the car since the past year almost. Listening to her talk and other colleagues around oohing and aahing provoked me way too much and I just decided on the spot (out of nowhere) that today was it-almost like I want to show them all what real beauty is all about. I never liked the Ecosport shape and a more traditional SUV but sporty look was key for me. The missus has no clue and I intend to keep it that way till the day the car arrives.

The only bit that left me aghast was they told me the waiting period is 3 months! That's a crazy timeline- I expected it to be 45-60 days, but no longer! It's going to be a long wait now.

I have to add: I hadn't seen the black Compass in person till today and its gorgeousness today left me so utterly confused and so transfixed, when I saw her in person. I walked in thinking I was dead sure about the red with the black roof but walked out rethinking it with the full black and the silver with black roof as new options in my mind that'll keep me confused for a while -and with the waiting period of 3m, I was told I can change my mind over the next month or so.

I have never owned a large car before so I am excited (and it takes a lot to get me excited these days). What's been the general preference in terms of color on the forum? Also, do you guys feel the side stepper on a vehicle such as this looks good? I see no personal utility value for it, so just for looks did I add that to my list of accessories.

Anyhow, this has turned out to be a giddy, dear diary like post, but I've been following four Compass threads since Day 1 and after reading everyone's opinions, posts and thoughts, I couldn't resist sharing this little update of my own. Will keep you all posted on how the journey continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
Good news is that there is marginal increase in petrol prices of only 20-30k. Whereas diesel has seen a price rise of 55k - 72k. Looks like they have applied the 5% cess hike.
When I was booking my vehicle today, I was told by the Landmark Worli (Mumbai) team that Jeep had already received a govt mandate/notification to apply 7% and the only debate was how much of it they pass on to the customers-which seems closer to 5%.

The cess hike and consequent increase in pricing is being applied on final invoicing date, which will be on date of delivery. So if one hasn't taken delivery of their vehicle yet, it seems the cess hike has already become applicable for them.

Last edited by theMAG : 16th September 2017 at 17:59. Reason: Back-back posts < 20 mins. Please EDIT moving forward.
psychogogo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 08:07   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is the MultiAir available?
No, only the diesels as of now. That's why he is following up. But with the revised pricing, don't think the petrol Sport makes that much sense anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
The fuel cap is locked when the car is locked. It can be opened only when the car is unlocked. There is no separate fuel cap release lever in the car. If you are sitting in the car, just unlock the door so that the fuel attendant can open the flap.

As regards the front fender, the bottom portion is made of rubber and is flexible. Supposed to aid aerodynamics. Being flexible, its scraping the road should not be much of an issue. Its another matter if the fender itself also scrapes over large speed breakers.
Both these features/ quirks are there in the Fiesta too.

The fuel cap is controlled by central locking. In the Fiesta, the fuel cap doesn't shut when the car is locked. I really hate this! The car has to remain unlocked when the fuel is being filled. Or you have to close and open the lock again when the attend has to shut the cap. Not sure how it is in the Compass. If it can be shut while the car is locked, then it is not a big deal.

Others won't be able to siphon off fuel if the car is unlocked. There is another filter just below the mouth which wont let any external pipe get into the tank. Then again, you will have to leave the car unlocked for miscreants to foul about. And that is definitely not recommended to leave the car unlocked in India.

Coming to the aero deflector under the front bumper, for the Fiesta it is not as bad in the Compass because:
1) The plastic is not as stiff as in the Compass. If it's flexible, a little scrape once a while doesn't matter at all. Jeep hasn't compromised on the build of the Compass anywhere.
2) The deflector is not as straight as in the Compass. So, towards the sides it is just in front of the wheels which makes it almost impossible to scrape on the Fiesta. The shape of the front bumper of the Compass also doesn't help. Fiesta is more arrow like and the Compass is a typical SUV cuboid.

Maybe, Jeep can make the deflector three separate pieces for the Compass if a continuous V shape is not possible. One piece for the front and two for the wheels with the latter sitting deep just in front of the wheels. They have given it a slit now, but that isn't enough.
Jeep Compass : Official Review-2017jeepcompass18.jpg
Look how much the deflector curves from the leading edge of the car where is a straight line under the grille. Also, the whole deflector sits a bit inside under the bumper.
Jeep Compass : Official Review-dsc_5517.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post

JEEP COMPASS SPORT 1.4MAIR INR 15,16,000
JEEP COMPASS SPORT 2.0D INR 15,99,000

The best Jeep could do after the hike in cess I guess. But it does take the edge away from the pricing of the Petrol Sport.

In Kerala at least, the road tax jumps from 10% to 15% at 15 lakhs.

Old:
Exshowroom: 14,99,000
Roadtax: 1,50,700

New: 15,54,000 (approx.)
Roadtax: 2,33,900

So, the difference in on road price compared to the diesel Sport comes down even further. From approx. 1.4 L to 90k.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 11:13   #299
BHPian

Yes. I own a Fiesta for 11 years now. Never found this fuel cap problem to be an issue. Do we go anywhere without locking our cars ?

In fact, I would say not having a fuel cap opening lever / switch is one chore less to perform while at the pump.
Old 16th September 2017, 13:23   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychogogo View Post
I have never owned a large car before so I am excited (and it takes a lot to get me excited these days). What's been the general preference in terms of color on the forum? Also, do you guys feel the side stepper on a vehicle such as this looks good? I see no personal utility value for it, so just for looks did I add that to my list of accessories.
First of all congrats on your impulsive purchase

Secondly, please dont add side steps on compass. Its not required as it not a tall SUV neither they look good.

As for the color, Red looks yummy but personally i feel all dark color require high maintenance. I personally choose lighter shades like Silver or White. So go with your heart if you can maintain Red
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks