Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2017, 18:46   #361
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you own a black car while living in a hot/humid climate, you'll change your mind. I owned a black Baleno in Manipal, and then bought a white GV with even larger windshield area. The GV stays lot lot cooler than the black Baleno, under exactly similar conditions.
There's no denying that dark colours contribute to heat trapped in the cabins of cars parked in the sun. And black roofs on modern cars these days definitely don't help matters.

Oh, and we had the worst of both worlds during our ownership of the erstwhile Civic. Not only was it black, it also had arguably the largest front windshield amongst any car in the market.

Getting back to the Compass, it would be interesting to understand why the camouflaged car is equipped with the 1.6 MJD.

It's entirely plausible that it's being tested for other markets, and you could also say that the Compass 1.6 may be a test bed for the upcoming Renegade's drivetrain. However, let's think out of the box for a minute.

Imagine the prospect of a Compass with the 1.6 MJD as an additional engine option.

It may not work for two reasons. (1) the Compass is a heavy crossover and needs all the additional power and torque of the 2.0 to haul it, and (2) the 2.0 gives it character, as GTO had mentioned.

However, a 1.6 MJD Compass may make it a couple of lakhs cheaper and more accessible to those who couldn't quite stretch their budgets beyond 20 lakhs (on the road). A 1.6 MJD Compass will successfuly poach customers from Hyundai showrooms and rain on the Renault Captur parrade.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 18:59   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

However, a 1.6 MJD Compass may make it a couple of lakhs cheaper and more accessible to those who couldn't quite stretch their budgets beyond 20 lakhs (on the road). A 1.6 MJD Compass will successfuly poach customers from Hyundai showrooms and rain on the Renault Captur parrade.
2.0 diesel is a locally assembled and largely localised engine wheras 1.6 Diesel is an imported one.

2.0 would be cheaper than 1.6, considering the production volume and overall business case for it.
Old 24th September 2017, 19:25   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
2.0 diesel is a locally assembled and largely localised engine wheras 1.6 Diesel is an imported one.

2.0 would be cheaper than 1.6, considering the production volume and overall business case for it.
Umm, the 1.6 will also be locally assembled and largely localised shortly, with the Renegade in the pipeline.

Also, please elaborate how a locally assembled 1.6 priced a few lakhs lower wouldn't be beneficial for FCA's business? I don't know, hence asking.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 19:25   #364
Senior - BHPian

Was crossing one of the Jeeps showroom today so thought of looking at it once. Went to the showroom however due to election day in Gurgaon, it was closed. But i managed to see two compass on display. Looked real HOT.

One thing i noticed. One of the sport variant had lower lip of the front bumper missing. Took few clicks of the same (pics below). Also zoomed in and took screenshot to show a closeup of the bumper (third pic).

So i guess it can be removed easily and this sure will help a lot.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170924_154641.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20170924_154637.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot_20170924191557.png
nitinralli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 19:32   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The biggest casualty will be their own Renegade, which is being planned below the Compass in terms of positioning.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 20:07   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The biggest casualty will be their own Renegade, which is being planned below the Compass in terms of positioning.
Not if they low-ball it with its pricing. No one expected the Compass to be priced at an introductory 14.9 lakhs.

Think about it. Jeep Renegade at 9.9 lakhs ex-showroom may not be believable, but it's plausible.

Anyway, was merely thinking out of the box, and it's unlikely that the Compass will come with the 1.6 anyway. Will be very interesting, if it does though.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 20:42   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Umm, the 1.6 will also be locally assembled and largely localised shortly, with the Renegade in the pipeline.

Also, please elaborate how a locally assembled 1.6 priced a few lakhs lower wouldn't be beneficial for FCA's business? I don't know, hence asking.
Yes, you are right. 1.6 could be cheaper, if manufactured here.

I could have been more explicit in my earlier post. I meant that there is no 1.6 Diesel in India version as 2.0 is cheaper than 1.6 because of the localized production.

And a little birdie tells me that there is no plan to localize 1.6 in foreseeable future.
ritzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 20:57   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's no denying that dark colours contribute to heat trapped in the cabins of cars parked in the sun. And black roofs on modern cars these days definitely don't help matters.

Oh, and we had the worst of both worlds during our ownership of the erstwhile Civic. Not only was it black, it also had arguably the largest front windshield amongst any car in the market. .
Well, dark colors do heat up, I agree. But, take my case for example. My Tiago is Blue & has black cabin. Dad's Brio is Urban Titanium & has Beige Cabin. Now, I have tested both cars in summers this year, and despite Blue being lighter shade, cabin heat inside Tiago is unbearable. It's as hot as oven.

While Brio despite being dark color does much better, while the cabin doesn't feel cool, it's acceptable. Opening Windows for 10 seconds helps hugely. I think the main reason for Brio being cooler is Beige cabin. It doesn't heat up as much as black. And Brio has much bigger glass area compared to Tiago. So, i have a mixed opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It will surely cause problems for Sedans in that 10-12 lakhs range.

Quote:
Not if they low-ball it with its pricing. No one expected the Compass to be priced at an introductory 14.9 lakhs.

Think about it. Jeep Renegade at 9.9 lakhs ex-showroom may not be believable, but it's plausible. .
Yes, agreed. Even I didn't expect Compass at 15 lakhs.

Renegade at 10 odd lakhs will be great. SUV that's more practical then sedans (City/Vento etc) and more premium then rivals (Duster/Creta) would be very well thought out idea at that price if it turns out.

Coming back to Compass, I am waiting for Diesel AT which should launch at Auto Expo. I am looking at replacement for my 2013 Rapid Diesel. And this time, I am looking at Auto considering the horrible traffic conditions. I also wish that they add the missing features (Auto Wipers/Headlamps/Sunroof/Cruise Control/ etc) to Limited variant if they aren't keen on launching Trailhawk version.
CarguyNish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 08:53   #369
BHPian

How is the rear number plate affixed to the Compass ? I have observed that the 2 screws at the top of the number plate used to fix the number plate are insufficient. The number plate vibrates and especially while closing the rear gate, it is very irritating. Am thinking of using 2 way adhesive tape on the lower side of the number plate to take care of these vibrations.
Is this the case all over or is it a dealer specific issue ?
Old 26th September 2017, 01:30   #370

Dear learned comrades, now that my initial Jeep Compass booking euphoria is more or less turning into buyer's confusion (nowhere close to remorse yet, thankfully), I need you guys to do me a solid and help me see light of day. Let me begin by admitting, I am inspired by a quote I came across which said acknowledging what you don't know is when the dawn of wisdom occurs.

And hence begins my admission. I am a car noob. I know nothing about engines, about diesel/petrol, about transmission, about torque, how cc is different from NM, what Bixenon/NVH means.. Well, you get the idea. I currently drive an i20 and the reason I bought the car back in 2010 was- I like the brand, I like the shape, I like the price and hey they make it in a (at that time rare) shiny maroon!

My impulsive booking for the (shiny red) Jeep Compass seems like it matches the above reasons to the T. However, I now have a key decision to make and I need your help on this. I made a booking for the 2.0 Diesel 4 X 2 Limited MT. I now am thinking if I should have gone for the 1.4 Petrol AT Limited. I like the idea of an automatic but have never owned one. Driven a friend's 5 and 3 series a few times and loved the feeling of the gearshift displaying all kinds of autoerotic smoothness. But that's about it.

For me, there were two key decisions to be made when I was booking this car - Do I go for Petrol or Diesel and do I go for MT or AT. Ideally, I would have booked the Diesel AT but the dolts didn't release it and I doubt if I can survive till next year, plus I've already made my booking, so there you go. So now, should I stick to my Diesel 2.0 MT booking and stop thinking or should I shift to Petrol 1.4 AT, if the dealer allows?

Just to describe my real world use cases: In the past 7 years, I have only driven my car in the city about 80k km within Bombay, from home to work and back (about 40-45km a day round trip) and weekends again are spent primarily within the city. I have a few key bad habits- clutch riding, left hand always on the gearshift, loud music inside the car (never with windows open), all of which I'm working on getting rid of. I drive fast when I can, but am learning to cap my speed to about 80kmph as far as possible (owing to the Sea Link speed limit). I am otherwise a solid, dependable, safe driver and don't take risks on the road. Bombay city as you know is as crowded as it gets and I spend close to 2 hours every day driving (minimum), sometimes bumper to bumper.

Now I've done my basic Google searches and thread reading here as well to figure that for my driving distances (<1000k/month), the petrol should be just fine and economical. I'd expect to own this vehicle for atleast 4-5 years.

What do you folks reckon I should give up on:
1. Diesel 2.0 engine so I can get the AT in petrol
2. AT, so I can get the stronger Diesel engine

What do you think I'll value more? Given the shift from an i20 to this beautiful behemoth, I think I'd like about anything. But what would you experienced Gandalfs advise me?

Thanks in advance, folks. I don't know who else to ask, so going for it.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th September 2017 at 03:48.
psychogogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 08:13   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychogogo View Post
For me, there were two key decisions to be made when I was booking this car - Do I go for Petrol or Diesel and do I go for MT or AT. Ideally, I would have booked the Diesel AT but the dolts didn't release it and I doubt if I can survive till next year, plus I've already made my booking, so there you go. So now, should I stick to my Diesel 2.0 MT booking and stop thinking or should I shift to Petrol 1.4 AT, if the dealer allows?

Just to describe my real world use cases: In the past 7 years, I have only driven my car in the city about 80k km within Bombay, from home to work and back (about 40-45km a day round trip) and weekends again are spent primarily within the city. I have a few key bad habits- clutch riding, left hand always on the gearshift, loud music inside the car (never with windows open), all of which I'm working on getting rid of. I drive fast when I can, but am learning to cap my speed to about 80kmph as far as possible (owing to the Sea Link speed limit). I am otherwise a solid, dependable, safe driver and don't take risks on the road. Bombay city as you know is as crowded as it gets and I spend close to 2 hours every day driving (minimum), sometimes bumper to bumper.
Under 1000KM a month you do not need a Diesel car. But 2 hours everyday in bumper to bumper city traffic? I think you should go for an AT. Choose the Multiair AT.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 09:12   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Choose the Multiair AT.
Coming to the AT, it appears to be in production already. Anyone had a chance to drive it?
Old 26th September 2017, 09:31   #373
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance, folks. I don't know who else to ask, so going for it.
I think you should go for AT. You will definitely enjoy it in Mumbai traffic.
sathya.bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 10:06   #374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

For me, there were two key decisions to be made when I was booking this car - Do I go for Petrol or Diesel and do I go for MT or AT.

So now, should I stick to my Diesel 2.0 MT booking and stop thinking or should I shift to Petrol 1.4 AT, if the dealer allows?
I'd say go for the petrol A/T if you're confident of running costs (I have no idea what kind of FE the petrol A/T would give). I say this more so since you were anyway opting for 4x2 diesel and not the 4x4.

What you're losing in power is much lesser than what you're gaining in convenience for the kind of driving you've described.

Once you've experienced A/T convenience, you'll never miss the manual, particularly for your kind of in-city movement. The petrol will also give you the additional peace of mind of a longer usable shelf life given the bit of policy unpredictability on dirtier fuels.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 10:39   #375
BHPian

Petrol AT would be ideal for your requirement, but if you are worried about the fuel efficiency part, then wait for those figures to come in before taking the decision. Even the fuel efficiency of the Creta Petrol AT is dismal (8-9 kmpl in city traffic). The ideal solution would be to have a separate smaller AT car for daily city driving, I don't know how Compass would fit that bill.
aviraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks