Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2018, 12:29   #1066
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
... It has been a brilliant companion and I am super happy with the purchase!
It's a relief for a month old jeep owner, especially after reading so many negatives back to back on the thread.
ank.nsit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 08:35   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Team-BHP fan Anshul shares the following with us.

The 9-month old Jeep Compass he is currently using has faced its fourth breakdown. The first 3 issues included timing belt, diesel pump leakage and battery terminal failure. At the time of this post, the car is with the MOPAR RSA and has yet to reach the service center due to the fourth breakdown.
Anshul shares some details of the 4th breakdown. According to the service centre, it is something to do with the diesel return pipe burst. He has refused to take the car back and escalated this to FCA India head Kevin Flynn. Anshul also reports that he has lost faith in the Jeep brand.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20180611wa0004.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20180615wa0012.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20180615wa0016.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20180615wa0017.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20180615wa0018.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 18th June 2018 at 19:42. Reason: not refused -> refused.
blackwasp is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 13:22   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
This is a serious issue. During my test drive, precisely this aspect crossed my mind. What if the parking brake switch was accidentally pressed. To get around this, there should be a two step system. One for activating the parking brake system and the second to engage the brake.

I had the same thought in my mind and I decided to test it to see what actually happens (Adventurous me!). I thought Jeep would've thought about this scenario as well and perhaps done something about it.
So I went on to an almost empty road and pulled the parking brake at around 50-60 kmph. Much to my surprise, the electronic brakes did not fully engage and retracted itself. I felt a strong jerk because of it (similar to what happens when the car suddenly turns off during gear change) but still didn't lose control at all.
I might not wanna try it again but at least I am better prepared if that ever happens by mistake.
S.Vats is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 00:19   #1069
BHPian

Is it possible for the Jeep Compass Sport to be fitted with OEM HIDs from the Limited O variant, if they can be sourced? If yes, would this be a simple drop-in replacement?
Old 20th June 2018, 09:32   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
Is it possible for the Jeep Compass Sport to be fitted with OEM HIDs from the Limited O variant, if they can be sourced? If yes, would this be a simple drop-in replacement?
Technically it is possible as the Jeep is using common wiring harness for both the models. However I am sure Jeep dealer would be reluctant to do this citing various reasons. Also sourcing of OEM parts would be issue for sometime as Jeep is busy producing new cars than the parts.

Most importantly it is going to cost you a bomb and I would advise you to go for after market LEDs.

Last edited by Wanderers : 20th June 2018 at 09:34.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 10:05   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Technically it is possible as the Jeep is using common wiring harness for both the models. However I am sure Jeep dealer would be reluctant to do this citing various reasons. Also sourcing of OEM parts would be issue for sometime as Jeep is busy producing new cars than the parts.

Most importantly it is going to cost you a bomb and I would advise you to go for after market LEDs.
Thank you for the reply. Is there any way to prove to them that the headlamp and taillamp upgrades would be drop-in?

I was originally interested in the Longitude O variant except for a few changes i wanted -
  1. Alloy wheels from the Limited O variant - I asked Skymoto Pune if they can buy back the stock alloys and give me the sexier ones from the Limited O. They said they can supply the wheels (62k for a set of 4) but cannot buy back the stock ones.
  2. HIDs and LED taillamps from the Limited O variant - I was told the wiring is different, couplers are different hence this cannot be done.

If I go the Limited variant route, then it makes sense to go for the Limited O 4x4 because of the offer going on (pay 75k and get the 4x4 variant upgrade) and that way, i would get the stock HIDs and 6 airbags as well. My budget almost allows for the upgrade too. The only issue is the almost white interiors, which, if i get the 6 airbags, i can't change with aftermarket upholstery as well.

Now I'm thinking - why not get the Sport variant and get wheels, tyres, HU, headlights and taillamps as accessories, from showroom or aftermarket.

Last edited by etchemkay : 20th June 2018 at 10:09.
etchemkay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 10:51   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way to prove to them that the headlamp and taillamp upgrades would be drop-in?
Sorry I did not understand you here.

Quote:

Now I'm thinking - why not get the Sport variant and get wheels, tyres, HU, headlights and taillamps as accessories, from showroom or aftermarket.
This is not at all a wise option.
Things would not total to the price difference and your car will still be called a sports variant and this has direct effect on insurance, resale and snob value.
You cannot insure non- electrical accessories more than a certain value ( I think it is Rs 7500 in case of Bajaj Allianz)
You may have problem claiming insurance for headlamps and tail lamps.
Please buy at least Longitude (O)

Last edited by Wanderers : 20th June 2018 at 10:54.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 11:23   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I did not understand you here.
What i meant to ask is - if the dealer says that the headlights and tail lamps are NOT drop-in replacements (in order to push a higher variant), is there some way to refute their claims and prove to them that the parts can be swapped easily.

Quote:
This is not at all a wise option.
Please buy at least Longitude (O)
Appreciate the advice. Makes sense.
etchemkay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 12:57   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I go the Limited variant route, then it makes sense to go for the Limited O 4x4 because of the offer going on (pay 75k and get the 4x4 variant upgrade) and that way, i would get the stock HIDs and 6 airbags as well. My budget almost allows for the upgrade too. The only issue is the almost white interiors, which, if i get the 6 airbags, i can't change with aftermarket upholstery as well.

Simply get the interiors cleaned every 5-6 months. If your budget permits, always go for the one which has highest safety.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 12:22   #1075
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is the 2nd Compass I've seen with water in its tail-lamp. Points to bad assembly practices. Not cool.

The outermost light is half-filled with water!
Jeep Compass : Official Review-pic.jpg
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 13:18   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is the 2nd Compass I've seen with water in its tail-lamp. Points to bad assembly practices. Not cool.

Could this be due to some crack in the tail light or are you pointing towards the manufacturing defect from the assembly line. If this is a manufacturing defect then it is quite serious for such an expensive car. Moreover, this light should be replaced under warranty, in such a case.
Old 27th June 2018, 15:09   #1077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

This is bad! They talk so much of quality control, have got only one potential volume product in their portfolio, but even cannot manage that very well.
Old 27th June 2018, 15:24   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OEM is OEM!

You mess around with stock and chances of you repenting it later skyrocket over time with a part failing here or a noise creeping up there. Not to forget all of which possibly voiding your warranty too.

Since your budget already allows you to get the Limited (O) I'd suggest go for it. What's the worse that could happen with a light interior? It'll get dirty. You'd be better off having the car go in for an Interior cleaning session once every 6 months - give the car some TLC and make it all shiny again!
Old 27th June 2018, 15:33   #1079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. Is there any way to prove to them that the headlamp and taillamp upgrades would be drop-in?

Why don't you get the newly launched Bedrock edition. That is at a good price point and will have most of the features you need.
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/jeep-indi...3-lakh-1869366
On the headlights, the Sport version headlights are anyday better than the Ltd version headlights unless you are getting the LTD(O) version with Xenon headlights.

Last edited by Behemoth : 27th June 2018 at 15:40.
Old 27th June 2018, 16:23   #1080
BHPian

The Skymoto sales team came by last evening with a Longitude Option car. I got a chance to take a small TD after sundown. I also did a side by side comparison with my Polo GT with 100/90 bulbs. The overall headlight performance (with fog lamps on) of the Compass felt adequate to me. It was slightly better than my GT which I'm used to since 4 years. I'm sure the HIDs would perform much much better, but the cost doesn't seem justified to me. I would imagine that with better bulbs, the projector setup would be easy to live with.

I also got revised "special discounted" rates (only for some variants) from them yesterday (all prices OTR) -
- 24.8L for the Limited 4x4
- 24.4L for the Limited Option 4x2
- 23.4L for the Limited 4x2

For comparison, prices for undiscounted variants are -
- 22.8L for the Longitude Option
- 26.9L for the Limited Option 4x4

Given the performance of the halogen projectors seems liveable to me, I'm leaning towards the Limited 4x4 variant since it fits my budget. I'm guessing 2L extra (over the Longitude Option) for the 4x4 drive train, 4 additional airbags, leather upholstery and steering wheel, reverse parking cam and LED taillamps is fair. Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
OEM is OEM!

You mess around with stock and chances of you repenting it later skyrocket over time with a part failing here or a noise creeping up there. Not to forget all of which possibly voiding your warranty too.

Since your budget already allows you to get the Limited (O) I'd suggest go for it. What's the worse that could happen with a light interior? It'll get dirty. You'd be better off having the car go in for an Interior cleaning session once every 6 months - give the car some TLC and make it all shiny again!
Makes sense. I think I've come to accept that living with the light interiors can be managed. Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Why don't you get the newly launched Bedrock edition. That is at a good price point and will have most of the features you need.
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/jeep-indi...3-lakh-1869366
On the headlights, the Sport version headlights are anyday better than the Ltd version headlights unless you are getting the LTD(O) version with Xenon headlights.
I thought about the Bedrock but I wasn't willing to give up on some of the features when compared with the Longitude Option, which was my meets-minimum-requirements variant to begin with.

Last edited by etchemkay : 27th June 2018 at 16:30.

Most Viewed