Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2018, 20:01   #1096
BANNED

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Only if the daily running cycle is less and the engine does not get enough time to heat up, the soot will build up and the ECU will then run a DPF regeneration cycle. During this time the engine will run at a higher idle rpm (1000-1100) to heat up the exhaust and burn off the soot. After 10-15 min the cycle will end and it will be back to normal.
I guess in Mumbai the weather is rainy and your drive is short so it was not getting the exhaust hot enough to burn the soot and hence it went through this.
My Compass in Delhi (so far done 10k kms) has not done this cycle yet as it is hot here and our drive is 30-50 min every time.
@Behemoth - My Jeep did 2300 Kms in 1 1/2 month I hope that should be good. My daily commute is 20- 25 KMS and it takes 2 to 2.5 hours. I am yet to analyze if anything else caused this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Yikes, the dealer did not tell you about this. Am also surprised that the DPF is fitted to the Compass. Also does it use AdBlue

It is not an error. It is a warning not to switch the car off until this has been completed. If not, the unburnt diesel used to clean the DPF will end up in the sump. An excess of diesel will overfill the sump and cause the engine to run on.

Considering a lot of Compass owners live in town and do short distances, this will happen more frequently. Unaware owners like yourselves might switch off the engine causing more havoc.

Note - the DPF has a limited life of around 7 years, less if the car has frequent cold starts. A replacement DPF will cost around Rs 1 Lakh. There are professional ways to clean but cannot be done in India as per my knowledge.

If this is the case, expect a lot of sick Compasses for sale down the line, DPF's can be removed but as regulations become more stringent, this will be illegal.
@ ajmat I called up Pune workshop service manager and she told me She never heard such problem yet and referred me to Mumbai service manager who suggested if I get same message again then get the car for scanning. But looked like both service managers were clueless. Also I am yet to understand how can this happen to a car which is month old in use. Also this something no one faced or may ignored as well as light comes in and goes off. Anyways this defiantly calls for SIP to save some money to avoid future expenses.
Old 10th July 2018, 21:03   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
@Behemoth - My Jeep did 2300 Kms in 1 1/2 month I hope that should be good. My daily commute is 20- 25 KMS and it takes 2 to 2.5 hours. I am yet to analyze if anything else caused this.

@ ajmat I called up Pune workshop service manager and she told me She never heard such problem yet and referred me to Mumbai service manager who suggested if I get same message again then get the car for scanning. But looked like both service managers were clueless. Also I am yet to understand how can this happen to a car which is month old in use. Also this something no one faced or may ignored as well as light comes in and goes off. Anyways this defiantly calls for SIP to save some money to avoid future expenses.
Is it possible that some water got into the tail pipe? Basically the sensor senses pressure buildup in the exhaust as soot causes the back pressure to increase and the flow of exhaust reduces. Water in the tail pipe may cause similar blockage, fooling the ECU into thinking the dpf is choked. Water in the tail pipe can also cause a lot more damage to the lambda sensor and the exhaust sensors, so try to be careful.
I reckon the current error was probably a one off and no need to get alarmed. However be careful of driving through deep water though.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd July 2018 at 11:51. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 08:28   #1098
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Is it possible that some water got into the tail pipe? Basically the sensor senses pressure buildup in the exhaust as soot causes the back pressure to increase and the flow of exhaust reduces. Water in the tail pipe may cause similar blockage, fooling the ECU into thinking the dpf is choked. Water in the tail pipe can also cause a lot more damage to the lambda sensor and the exhaust sensors, so try to be careful.
I reckon the current error was probably a one off and no need to get alarmed. However be careful of driving through deep water though.
Since I have parked out side and rainfall was heavy there is a possibility of water going inside tail pipe. Also tail pipe is tilted towards ground, that may have caused some water going in the tail pipe. Even I was thinking about the same as tail pipe facing the ground.

So I am thinking to add a muffler to tail pipe and making it straight and not facing ground. Also will get underbody checked in case if there is damage to exhaust as there can be a pot holes impact on exhaust.

Last edited by sameerpb : 11th July 2018 at 08:35. Reason: added a point
Old 11th July 2018, 18:54   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone enquired on the Extended Warranty that Jeep is now offering for new Compass Buyers. Below is a screenshot that they posted on Facebook recently:

Name:  Jeep_Compass_Freedom_Pack.png
Views: 8578
Size:  1,000.4 KB

Any idea how much this would cost for existing Compass owners? Also the Ad does not call out how many kilometers is the warranty valid for - is it unlimited kilometers or is there a cap on it?
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 19:19   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

Any idea how much this would cost
Rs 50k, mentioned in the picture itself.
It should be same for all, why would it be any different for existing owners? Its been just one year.
Old 11th July 2018, 19:23   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Rs 50k, mentioned in the picture itself.
It should be same for all, why would it be any different for existing owners? Its been just one year.
Oh the Ad on Facebook clearly called out that 50K is only when combined with new Compass Sale. My Uncle did call the Jeep Dealer in Bangalore (KHT Prime) today and the SA had no idea how much it would cost for existing owners and the terms and conditions and has said he would get back.
Old 11th July 2018, 19:33   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Oh the Ad on Facebook clearly called out that 50K is only when combined with new Compass Sale. My Uncle did call the Jeep Dealer in Bangalore (KHT Prime) today and the SA had no idea how much it would cost for existing owners and the terms and conditions and has said he would get back.
My apologies, I assumed it to be extended warranty with RSA. Just went through the ad again, its warranty + maintenance + RSA. Yes it could be different for existing owners.
Old 11th July 2018, 20:00   #1103
BHPian

I enquired with Skymoto (Pune) today. I was told that they have discontinued the 4x4 offer of 75k and come up with this offer to entice customers. Does not apply to existing customers or bookings yet to be given delivery. No word on standard extended warranty either yet.
Old 12th July 2018, 11:48   #1104
Team-BHP Support

Jeep India completes 25,000 deliveries of the Compass, within a year of launch. (Was launched on 31st July last year).

Source

Had a quick look at our sales figures, as the 25k figure took me by surprise. Is indeed true, with a reported figure of 24,262 cars till June 2018. Also here's a look at the numbers, with respect to some competition, for the same period.

Jeep Compass - 24,262.

Hyundai Tucson - 2,229.
VW Tiguan - 1,278.

Mahindra XUV 5OO - 28,205.
TATA Hexa - 13,109.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 20:13   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the Race Dynamics team, I have with me the dyno test results for the Compass 2.0 diesel.

The Stock dyno results are

134.11 HP at around 3500/3700 rpm

And

279.56 nm Torque at around 3200 rpm.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1531411845.579332.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1531411861.833224.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1531411872.882764.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th July 2018 at 21:44.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 20:53   #1106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Thanks to the Race Dynamics team, I have with me the dyno test results for the Compass 2.0 diesel.
Thanks a lot Arjun! Yup these numbers correlate with my back of seat feeling and add the heavy kerb weight of the Compass you get a much realistic view of the Compass's real world performance.

Last edited by ampere : 6th August 2018 at 07:12. Reason: compacted quoted post
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 21:24   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Jeep India completes 25,000 deliveries of the Compass, within a year of launch. (Was launched on 31st July last year).
That's really interesting. XUV despite being established brand and lower priced has managed only to sell almost as much as compass.
Jeep Compass has surely impressed many buyers, quite odd for a market that is considered risk averse.

Last edited by ampere : 6th August 2018 at 07:13. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 12th July 2018, 21:38   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
That's really interesting. XUV despite being established brand and lower priced has managed only to sell almost as much as compass.
Jeep Compass has surely impressed many buyers, quite odd for a market that is considered risk averse.

XUV is an almost seven year old product, despite the face lifts, age does show on it.
If you wish an apple to apple comparison then look at sales numbers of XUV in first 12 months of its launch.
It was certainly above 50 thousands.
Acharya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 22:56   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
The Stock dyno results are
This means 20% transmission loss? That's crazy! Unless Fiat was lying about the numbers, that is.

Old 13th July 2018, 23:32   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
What do the "Power 0", "Power 1" imply. I see 151bhp for the Power 1 value.
Similar for the torque.

Most Viewed