Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2019, 15:45   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Affordable Jeep Compass diesel-AT to launch before Diwali

FCA just got Hyundai(ed). :

I must say that this is a little late in the day to make a mark.

With Seltos expected to launch at a 21 lakh OTR Bangalore for the top spec diesel automatic, the Compass Sport plus manual currently retails at 21.40 lakhs OTR. Looks like this version of the automatic Compass with the BS VI costs and the automatic cost will clearly retail for around 24 lakhs.

Must say FCA missed a big opportunity by not bringing in the diesel automatic earlier.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 22nd July 2019 at 15:55.
Old 27th July 2019, 14:38   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
With ODO closer to 15K Kms, I got the second servicing done. This servicing included, All filter changes, Engine oil replacement, tyre rotation and wheel alignment. The total bill came to 9K+.

I didn't want to do the alignment during this service as I didn't see any issue with it, however they forced me by saying my warranty will be at risk if the wheel alignment is not done there. So, I agreed. But after taking the delivery, I found out that they have messed up the alignment. Later, I had to get it done again outside to resolve the issue. I wonder if they have the right technicians to do the wheel alignment as this is the second time they have screwed up the alignment.
Status of the alignment issue:

This issue was because of a faulty alignment equipment in PPS Motors. They updated me saying that the issue in this equipment has been fixed by the vendor and tested successful.

Checking engine oil level:

In all my previous cars, I used to check the level of the oil in cold condition and this was the norm too. However for Compass, when I was checking in cold condition the dip stick won't have any hint of the oil at all. Later after checking with the service guys and verifying the manual, I understood that Oil level should be checked 5 minutes after a fully warmedup engine is shutdown. This is something new to me.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20190725_130137248.jpg

ODO crossed 15000 Kms:

ODO has crossed the 15000 Kms mark and here are few pics from a recent drive to Mangalore - Irrity and back to Bangalore. Team Bhpian speedsatya and a friend of mine were also along with me on this drive.

It was an enjoyable drive especially on the ghat sections and the curvy roads. And rain accompanied us during most of the trip

Overall distance came to 830Kms with fuel efficiency of 15.2 Kmpl.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20190720wa0062.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20190720wa0073.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20190721wa0012.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20190721wa0037.jpg

Last edited by arun_josie : 27th July 2019 at 15:01.
arun_josie is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 16:55   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Got this Whatsapp forward of a fallen coconut shattering the sunroof. Few fancy accessories are not suited for India.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_3197.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 22:50   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Got this Whatsapp forward of a fallen coconut shattering the sunroof. Few fancy accessories are not suited for India.
Something weird about this picture. Half of the glass has shattered and fallen leaving a big hole but the 'coconut' is still laying on the roof
Old 27th July 2019, 22:58   #1415
Senior - BHPian

I think a bunch of them fell. But the glass does shatter unlike what we are led to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Something weird about this picture. Half of the glass has shattered and fallen leaving a big hole but the 'coconut' is still laying on the roof
Old 27th July 2019, 23:13   #1416
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
FCA just got Hyundai(ed). :

I must say that this is a little late in the day to make a mark.

With Seltos expected to launch at a 21 lakh OTR Bangalore for the top spec diesel automatic, the Compass Sport plus manual currently retails at 21.40 lakhs OTR. Looks like this version of the automatic Compass with the BS VI costs and the automatic cost will clearly retail for around 24 lakhs.

Must say FCA missed a big opportunity by not bringing in the diesel automatic earlier.

The Seltos top end will have 2 Airbags, a 1.5 Litre Diesel putting out 115 BHP.
The Compass gets a 2.0 Litre Diesel Engine putting out 170 BHP. And 6 airbags.

Quite a difference, dont you think. I wouldnt even put them in the same category.

If I'm shopping for a Compass, I wouldn't even consider the Seltos, Creta, the Captur and the Kicks. They're, atleast when it comes to diesel, to my mind, at the very least, a segment below.
simeonovitch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 09:04   #1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Can you please share further details. As in where did you see the compass getting remapped? Is the remapping being done through OBD or the ECU needs to be removed?
Yes i have done my fair share of research on this topic and found out that Pete, Code6, Team Performance Racing and a few other tuners offer a Compass remap.
From a 173 to 200 isn’t a very big upgrade and obviously the dyno figures will vary as both the company and tuners will take the best result out of a bunch of runs.
But going for a ecu box is also a good option as you can just remove it before service.
Jeep can void the full car warranty and also the insurance can lapse if so in this case of an ECU remap.
Moreover in my suggestion the Jeep is fairly new to the Indian market and the tuners take their tunes from an international variant and tweak for their own needs, so i would suggest to wait and to gather proper results from people having successfully done it.
Old 28th July 2019, 10:24   #1418
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
The Seltos top end will have 2 Airbags, a 1.5 Litre Diesel putting out 115 BHP.
The Compass gets a 2.0 Litre Diesel Engine putting out 170 BHP. And 6 airbags.
Thus Compass becomes more VFM and premium at the same time than Seltos. Compass also has independent rear suspension which Seltos lacks (correct me if I am wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Isn’t this to be considered as a one off case. This does not mean that cars with sunroofs should not be sold in countries with coconut trees. A jackfruit can also do the same harm. Instead of sunroof, if those coconuts fell on the front windscreen, we could expect the same result. But we could argue front windscreen is a need, and sunroof is a fancy feature. What I want to convey is ‘that car’s luck was bad that day’.

Note to moderators : Please merge with my previous posts, I did not notice this while posting this comment.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th July 2019 at 11:09. Reason: back to back posts merged
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 10:34   #1419
BHPian

Put a jaali frame on top of the sunroof, much like the grilled windows of the mumbai local train jokes apart, no requirement per se of a "sunroof" in a sunny country like ours with 300 days of sunshine. Rather put a solar panel on the roof and make a mild hybrid. Imagine the irony, in a country where over 60% of the population suffers from vitamin D deficiency due lack of sun exposure, people actually want to buy a car with a sunroof, even though they hide from the sun.

Last edited by AirbusCapt : 28th July 2019 at 10:37.
AirbusCapt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 10:57   #1420
BHPian

My dad's been hearing more underbody scrapes on the compass lately (not sure if just the Compass' front bumper lip) after last year's Kerala flooding ruined most of the roads and 'wannabe' roads in our area. So, could anybody help with answers to these questions?
  • Is the 178mm ground clearance on Compass including the front bumper lip or without.
  • Is Compass Trailhawk's 205mm due to removal of lip as part of bumper re-design, or the new suspension set up?
  • Is the Trailhawk's 840mm water wading capability vs. plain Compass' 330mm water wading due to slits introduced in the bumper grille alone since exhaust seems to be placed the same?
di1in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 14:22   #1421
BHPian

Yesterday, i visited Jeep outlet in domlur, Bangalore as it is a few blocks away from home. Sales executive had no official information from the FCA but was aware of news on internet. As usual, he tried to sell trailhawk and petrol DCT. On the other hand, Hyundai executive confirmed a facelift in 4 months time.
Old 28th July 2019, 14:53   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
My dad's been hearing more underbody scrapes on the compass lately (not sure if just the Compass' front bumper lip) after last year's Kerala flooding ruined most of the roads and 'wannabe' roads in our area. So, could anybody help with answers to these questions?
  • Is the 178mm ground clearance on Compass including the front bumper lip?
In all probability, it's probably the front lip which is extremely low. The GC does not include the front lip. I've never scraped my compass anywhere till date as it is simply too high off the ground. The front lip however, is subject to frequent abuse, and is extremely low. Even a hyundai Creta can clear areas that the front upper lip of the compass cannot. The regular compass should be enough for rough road usage, while the trailhawk is a true off road vehicle, whose utilisation is best in off road terrains.
hrk997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 00:03   #1423

After the launch of the hector and to be launched Seltos, I just dropped in the following mail to Jeep. Who knows they might respond.

“I previously owned a Jeep Liberty when I was working in the Middle East and have driven a wrangler jk on several occasions and desert trails in the club. I love jeep but in India, the compass is a bit expensive comparing the price, features and creature comforts offered. I would prefer to have a 6 speed torque converter in the lower variants too for lower costs, reliability and ease of maintenance .
And if options and features are customisable like a bespoke model, I feel there are many enthusiasts who will buy the Jeep Compass. The market is spoiled with convenience and rich feature list by the competition. Small features like a sunglass holder in the roof panel, auto-dimming mirrors/ rear traffic monitor while driving, vanity mirrors for both driver and passengers, cooled glove box, ventilated seats, tire pressure monitor, led projector headlights, rear reclining seats, a smaller traditional sunroof (optional), etc. We enthusiasts love the build quality and driving dynamics of the compass.
I am primarily interested in the bedrock edition to be provided with bespoke features and kit. Having bespoke options in other variants would be a lot more welcoming to the buyers.”
salmankazi85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 07:20   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
  • Is Compass Trailhawk's 205mm due to removal of lip as part of bumper re-design, or the new suspension set up?
Got the answer to my question from FCA US. The suspension setup contributes to ground clearance. It is reason why unladen 4x2 compass sits 10mm lower than unladen 4x4 compass (awd suspension). However, unladen Trailhawk sits approx. 10mm higher due to combination of offroad suspension and bumpers.

Also got an excel sheet with 300+ rows of detailed data.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Jeep_Compass_Specifications.xlsx (21.6 KB, 464 views)

Last edited by di1in : 29th July 2019 at 07:23.
di1in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 10:35   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
In all probability, it's probably the front lip which is extremely low. The GC does not include the front lip. I've never scraped my compass anywhere till date as it is simply too high off the ground. The front lip however, is subject to frequent abuse, and is extremely low. Even a hyundai Creta can clear areas that the front upper lip of the compass cannot.
There's a smaller front bumper lip available too... I guess it's from the Limited Plus. It cost about Rs 1,700 when I got it fitted last month.
Fusion2006 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks