Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 22:52   #1531
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
For me, it is just the opposite - my wife liked the Tucson a lot because of the larger space on offer and the excellent reclining rear seats (those recline really a lot). In fact, she also mentioned that the window line in Compass is higher (need to recheck). I don't know why but I am also more inclined towards the Compass though Tucson seems more logical with the discounts. I have convinced my wife for another drive. Hope she likes it this time and the other dealer throws in some discounts to make the deal sweet.
I too liked the rear seats of Tucson more than Compass. I was a little surprised by that feedback from my wife. Since it was helping me in going for a Compass didn't push her much on that. We did a couple of test drives on Tucson and also a visit to the showroom to look at a newer vehicle that had come for delivery, so there was a good amount of time spent there. There are so many other factors that favor Hyundai, like the lower chances of them shutting shop anytime soon in India which should hopefully make spares availability less of a concern in the long run. I think Compass scores in areas like the perceived sturdiness, the lower cost of spares, the longer service interval, better NVH levels, and more safety-oriented features like Panic brake assist, 4 Channel ABS, Hydraulic Boost Failure Compensation, etc. I don't think you would regret it either way!
sbkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 12:00   #1532
BHPian

Tuscon is a typical hyundai that will pamper you with features, ease of driving and is definitely more spacious than Compass. But for a keen driver, nothing beats Compass in the segment. Both cars have different USPs and final decision will be based on one's priorities. It's impossible to find a perfect car!
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 13:21   #1533
Senior - BHPian

I did a 1 hour plus test drive of the Compass 4*2 diesel limited plus once again today. The car is really solidly built and handles very well.The diesel engine is very powerful though it gets a bit boomy past 3000 rpm. The NVH is excellent otherwise. The ride is little firm but did not feel uncomfortable like the Tucson even though it rides on 18 inch wheels (I think 17 inch is better suited for our roads).
Now coming to the problems. No matter how hard I tried I could not get a proper driving position. The clutch travel is more and the gear lever is positioned pretty low. Since I am short (5.6), when I raised the seat height, I had difficulty in operating the gears - had to really reach out. I had to lower the seat height and that just spoils the outside view. Other than that, my family was fine with the rear seat but they complained about the poor view (rising window line) and upright seat back. So, the diesel compass is ruled out for me. I will try the Petrol automatic once before taking a final call. Any owners of the 1.4 Petrol auto? How is the real life driving performance - pickup, NVH, etc?

Last edited by adimicra : 28th September 2019 at 13:22.
Old 30th September 2019, 07:31   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
Now coming to the problems. No matter how hard I tried I could not get a proper driving position. The clutch travel is more and the gear lever is positioned pretty low. Since I am short (5.6), when I raised the seat height, I had difficulty in operating the gears - had to really reach out. I had to lower the seat height and that just spoils the outside view.
I'm 5' 4" and was able to find a comfortable driving position with the seat high, slightly rolled front, and the arm rest rolled front. I rest my general left upper elbow area on the arm rest and my palm on the gear knob always by habit while driving (except at high speeds). This seating posture on JC is very comfortable for me until a driver comes and changes it (no electronic seat adjustment in mine so I have to tweak it again although I've been getting faster at it). I've done up to 4 hour long continuous rides in this posture comfortably.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:13   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsmit409 View Post
Is it ok to have seat covers in cars with side airbags?
I thought it blocks something. Which cover did you go with OEM or after-market?
Pics will be appreciated
Quote:
I did a 1 hour plus test drive of the Compass 4*2 diesel limited plus once again today. The car is really solidly built and handles very well.The diesel engine is very powerful though it gets a bit boomy past 3000 rpm. The NVH is excellent otherwise. The ride is little firm but did not feel uncomfortable like the Tucson even though it rides on 18 inch wheels (I think 17 inch is better suited for our roads).
Now coming to the problems. No matter how hard I tried I could not get a proper driving position. The clutch travel is more and the gear lever is positioned pretty low. Since I am short (5.6), when I raised the seat height, I had difficulty in operating the gears - had to really reach out. I had to lower the seat height and that just spoils the outside view. Other than that, my family was fine with the rear seat but they complained about the poor view (rising window line) and upright seat back. So, the diesel compass is ruled out for me. I will try the Petrol automatic once before taking a final call. Any owners of the 1.4 Petrol auto? How is the real life driving performance - pickup, NVH, etc?
I doubt that trying Petrol will solve for seating position or seemingly rear poor view and upright seats. All of these things should be same in petrol IMHO.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:42   #1536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
I doubt that trying Petrol will solve for seating position or seemingly rear poor view and upright seats. All of these things should be same in petrol IMHO.
May be I should have clarified that I meant the petrol Auto only. my problem with the seating position was due to clutch travel and gear lever both of which is not a problem with the Petrol Auto. In fact, I had a test drive of the Petrol Auto and it felt very comfortable. The problem is that the engine-gearbox combo is not very receptive to quick acceleration. When you floor the throttle, there is lot of noise and revs but the car takes a while to move. I think with practice, we should be able to work the gearbox to extract the maximum but not so sure. Sadly, I am not finding much information on petrol auto in this forum as there doesn't seem to be many owners of the same.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:44   #1537
BHPian

Jeep Compass : Official Review

I took an hour long test drive of the trailhawk last weekend (8 days ago)followed by a TD of the limited plus 4*2 model (both diesel variants). While I loved the Torque from both the machines, settling in into the automatic ZF transmission was smoother for me thanks to the umpteen reviews on this thread!

I ll detail out my experience at a later point in time, since I'm yet to be convinced on the marginal utility of the features the 4*4 has on offer. Maybe one more TD just to explore these features will help.

The point that stuck me was the claim that landmark group executive made about the 4*4 variant of limited plus. Looks like They has stopped manufacturing the 4*4 variant and will only focus on trailhawk going forward. I called up the dealership yesterday and they mentioned that there's no stock even at the manufacturing unit.

This is from gurgaon. Any air on this news?

Last edited by saurabh89 : 30th September 2019 at 09:50.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:52   #1538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sadly, I am not finding much information on petrol auto in this forum as there doesn't seem to be many owners of the same.
I have done a few drives of the petrol auto since someone in my housing colony had picked it up recently (incidentally, on the same day that I picked up my City) towards the end of March 2019. While my drives have mostly been short and within the city, they did give me some idea about the car. Since my topmost priority in any car that I drive / buy is always the mechanicals and the power/ performance etc., I did not pay too much attention to the creature comforts, which I am sure you would have evaluated during your own test drive. The car felt reasonably powerful - nothing groundbreaking or astounding, but decent. However, if you are looking for blistering performance, this is certainly not the car. Flooring the throttle is not welcomed in this engine gearbox combo, and the car prefers gradual acceleration to sudden inputs. For quick responses on a auto box, look no further than the Octavia TSI (in fact, even the 1.4 manual gives solid performance) from among the cars that you have been looking at.

The ride quality was also comfortable, ironing out most bumps. The autobox was again adequate, but nothing exemplary. Shifts were smooth. I think the best part about the car was the convenience of driving. I have driven a diesel Compass, and the constant clutching effort was irritating within the city to say the least. The clutch is high set and pretty heavy, making city driving a bit of a pain. That way, the petrol auto is much smoother and comfortable to drive. As for seating position, only you can figure out whether the auto provides comfortable seating. I personally did not have much of a problem as far as seating was concerned.

Overall, if your mind is set on Compass, the petrol auto is a decent variant to go for.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 30th September 2019 at 09:57.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 16:45   #1539
BHPian

All, We are seriously considering Compass Diesel Limited Plus 2xD. Will do one TD of Tucson and decide. Hyundai doesnt seem to have TD vehicle of Tuscan in Bangalore south available, they say it has gone for some event (very funny). This makes me think if I should even consider.

This query is for folks in Bangalore who are considering buying the the JC. Could anyone work out a deal on the on-road price for Limited Plus 2xD Diesel?

Last edited by daisyb : 30th September 2019 at 16:49.
Old 30th September 2019, 18:23   #1540
Senior - BHPian

Both Hyderabad dealerships have mentioned that Jeep is not producing any more BS4 Limited plus variants. They want to exhaust the current stock and then BS6 vehicles will roll in from Jan 2020. I was offered 1 Lakh discount on the Limited Plus (both petrol auto and diesel), have not decided yet. These are for cars which are available with the dealer, so color choices are very limited. I think there are much bigger discounts on the Limited and Limited(O) variants but those don't make sense for me after spending 20+ lakhs.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 19:58   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Sadly, I am not finding much information on petrol auto in this forum as there doesn't seem to be many owners of the same.
Hi, I am a new joiner on Team-bhp. Just posted my first post today! Will be posting a detailed unbiased review of petrol auto soon. In the meanwhile if you have any specific question, I will be glad to answer. I am not sure if you can PM me as I am a newbie.
Old 30th September 2019, 20:44   #1542
BHPian

Quote:
Both Hyderabad dealerships have mentioned that Jeep is not producing any more BS4 Limited plus variants. They want to exhaust the current stock and then BS6 vehicles will roll in from Jan 2020. I was offered 1 Lakh discount on the Limited Plus (both petrol auto and diesel), have not decided yet. These are for cars which are available with the dealer, so color choices are very limited. I think there are much bigger discounts on the Limited and Limited(O) variants but those don't make sense for me after spending 20+ lakhs.
Same here, other variants doesnt make any sense. With the relatively better demand for Limited Plus, Jeep dealers seem to be adamant on giving any discounts. we are offered 70k.
Old 30th September 2019, 21:27   #1543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Hi, I am a new joiner on Team-bhp. Just posted my first post today! Will be posting a detailed unbiased review of petrol auto soon. In the meanwhile if you have any specific question, I will be glad to answer. I am not sure if you can PM me as I am a newbie.
Hey, welcome to the forum and wishing you many happy miles with the Compass. Please post your review of the petrol auto in this thread based on your real life experience. . I wanted to know of things like NVH, responsiveness (like a quick overtake), mileage etc. I know if you drive gingerly, this should perform fine as will most other auto transmissions. Do you use the manual mode often?

Last edited by adimicra : 30th September 2019 at 21:54.
Old 30th September 2019, 21:29   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
All, We are seriously considering Compass Diesel Limited Plus 2xD. Will do one TD of Tucson and decide. Hyundai doesnt seem to have TD vehicle of Tuscan in Bangalore south available, they say it has gone for some event (very funny). This makes me think if I should even consider.
I had a similar experience. Both the dealers (Advaith and Trident) seemed to have just one TD vehicle of Tucson. Though both were responsive, I was able to get it from Trident KR Puram quicker on the same day whereas I had to wait for a week with Advaith.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 10:07   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, welcome to the forum and wishing you many happy miles with the Compass. Please post your review of the petrol auto in this thread based on your real life experience. . I wanted to know of things like NVH, responsiveness (like a quick overtake), mileage etc. I know if you drive gingerly, this should perform fine as will most other auto transmissions. Do you use the manual mode often?
Thanks adimicra. I thought I will make a detailed short term ownership review of the same and attach on Jeep compass AT review page as there is none as of now. However for your questions these are my short and quick snippets :

1. NVH - When you start you certainly feel a very slight vibration to let you know that it is "ON". After that you don't feel any noise / undue vibration till 4500 RPM. Post that the engine becomes louder and you know it is boiling. However, for me it is a sporty note rather than a harsh one. So, in normal driving conditions ( 2000 rpm - 4500 rpm) it is super silent and very smooth. And you do hear the turbo whistle at 2100 rpm.
It is no Hyundai in terms of refinement however in my opinion it is not bad either.

2. Responsiveness - I will go in details once I post a detailed review. However, till date I have not encountered any car on Delhi road ( and I mean it, might be I was lucky to not encounter Octys ) which was difficult to overtake. Of course, there are faster cars and they might be going slow. I have not driven a car which is so maniac in nature.
Feelings:
0-40 - Come on baby , move !
40-140 - Oh my god! Let's go slow.

There is a reason why it does 0-100 in a very decent time ( 10.2 sec). It is because of its weight and the late peaking torque curve, that the car is slow off the track. The low range is average, High range is very good and mid - range is phenomenal. 0-100 is not the only criteria to measure the quickness. Kia Seltos claims 0.4 sec quicker to ton. It also claims fastest 0-100 in its class. The difference between both is even less than 0.5 sec. However please note that the peak torque for Seltos ends at 3200 rpm, whereas JC would be still in its peak torque band here and still have lot left. That means the roll on time and top whack on highway will be far more rewarding in JC. City drive-ability will be better in Seltos. The roll on time on JC (20-80, 40-100) are the segment best ( CSUV , Petrol Auto< 30 lacs. ) This is where you will be doing the overtakes. The only thing is that you will have to learn, how to tame those eager 163 horses. Plus add the agility and driving dynamics and there you are. A real good enthusiastic ride.

3. Mileage : I have driven my car for around 3K and it has been in about 75% renowned Ghaziabad -Delhi- Noida - Gurgaon traffic and 25% on Highway ( Yamuna Expressway). I don't drive like a hatchback in city and avoid sudden acceleration, until I think I need some Adrenalin. I am getting an average of 9 kmpl. Lately I changed my driving style where I try to coast rather than using heavy foot in the city traffic and am getting 9.9 kmpl. I expect this to increase after my 1st service. The figures are verified through tank full method as well. The MID is pretty accurate. You will take some time to know how to caress it as it is so tempting to floor the pedal and feel the wheel spin accompanying the torque steer.
Roadster17 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks