Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:01   #1591
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
If you manage to get it for 13L including everything, that's a pretty sweet deal. Of course, you haven't described the condition of the vehicle but I'm assuming it's well cared for.
Condition is good, It's a silver colour Jeep. I did a small test drive in city. I was only able to get to 3rd gear due to heavy traffic. I did not sense any grunt or struggle in the engine. Pickup was good and gear shifts were smooth. I did back 2 back test drives of new Compass and used one. Pretty satisfied with ride quality.

No discoloration or repaint done on it. I also did check for any rust issues under the rubber beedings. Owner said Jeep dealer will charge some 2000 bucks and provide complete report on the condition of the vehicle, I will get that done and also will try to check if any repairs done internally. The only issue was, this was lying in dealer yard without any cover, so there maybe water damage. The side cladding was showing it's age, maybe a good polish will solve it.

There were no claims made as per insurance copy and it was showing 20% NCB on 2nd year insurance. The insurance expired though. I did a quick check on policybazar and got 25k quotation from Royalsundaram with 12 lakhs IDV, Zero dep and 24/7 RSA.

There were 2 pending challans of 2,070 bucks for overspeeding. The owner assured he will clear them before delivery. Just normal wear and tear of 2 years old vehicle, things like fabric seats were dirty, inside requires some good detailing to get rid of swirl marks etc on dashboard. Tyres will run easily for another 25,000. If finalised, then I will do a complete PDI as per team bhp check list.

Quick question - This one has 7 inch touch screen unit. Last I checked with dealer only Longitude Optional variant started with 7 inch HU. Did 2017 variant of Longitude have 7 inch HU previously? Owner said he did not replace anything and everything was stock. RC was showing as Longitude variant only.
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:08   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Do not even think of Harrier. Even the official tbhp review mentions it to be an unfinished product.
What is the basis of this conclusive remark? Do you have first hand experience of driving and owning the Harrier? Do you have any relatives or friends who drive a Harrier and have had horrible experince with it? TBHP official review does not mention that no one should buy the Harrier and no TBHP review would ever say that.

Jeep Compass is a great product, no doubt, but that has nothing to do with Harrier being good or bad. One of friend is pretty satisfied with his Jeep Compass and another colleague of mine is extremely happy with his Harrier.

BY the way, do we have any Trailhawk owners on TBH? At least on paper, the Trailhawk seems significantly better than the standard Compass.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 23rd October 2019 at 10:11.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:11   #1593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do not even think of Harrier. Even the official tbhp review mentions it to be an unfinished product.
This remark is a bit off reality. Harrier and Compass have their own fair share of drawbacks and niggles. But both are good products. For people who find the package on offer suitable for their needs - they are good. Harrier is doing steady sales numbers so it seems to be good for a sufficient number of people with whats on offer. I don't see many horror stories about ownership to just write off the car. I have driven it & loved it. (As a bonus, hardly anything comes near it in street cred & looks.)
Quote:
If you want a complete peace of mind go for a Japanese brand - maruti scross/brezza, honda wrv/brv, Toyota innova/etios cross.
And which cars from these Japanese brands do you find suitable as an alternative to the Harrier or Compass?
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 05:03   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Any specific issues with the tires?
Which Tyres did you go for? There are only a few options in the stock size.
I did not like them. Noisy and a bit too soft for my liking. Plus i had a couple of sidewall tears, so changed them.
You are right- not many options in stock 225 size, and none if you want A/T. Plenty though if you want to upsize to 235, as many fellow Jeepers have done.

I stuck to stock- the options were Yokohama Earth1 and Bluearth, Bridgestone Turanza t001 (OE in Limited Plus variants), Apollo Apterra, Hankook Kinergy GT436, Falken Wildpeak (OE in Trailhawks) and some old Pirellis. Many of them were either hard to procure in Noida, or were 2018 stock or were without decent warranties.

Finally settled on the Yoko BluEarth RV02. Reasonably priced, silent and very grippy. H/T, not A/T though. Has been good going so far.
Old 25th October 2019, 09:10   #1595
BHPian

Just some data for anyone who's been searching for it, I did some measurements today to get the ground clearance of the JC unladen:
  • Unladen GC at front bumper with lower lip/chin: 170mm
  • Unladen GC at front bumper after folding front lower lip/chin: 220mm
  • Unladen GC for underbody components at the centre of body: 245mm

Last edited by di1in : 25th October 2019 at 09:12.
di1in is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 10:39   #1596
BHPian

Guys,

I finally made a decision and blocked Jeep Compass Limited Plus Diesel Manual in KHT Domlur. The car is awaited for delivery by either end of Oct or first week of Nov. The dealer told that we have to pay the entire amount upfront before delivery of the car. My understanding is that the payment happens only after PDI. Need guidance from BHPians on the payment aspects - when do we pay, how much etc. I am going for self + loan.
Old 25th October 2019, 12:02   #1597
Senior - BHPian

It has become common practice where dealers ask for 100% payment before delivery, some times even before PDI, otherwise they threaten to allot the car to someone who will make the full payment before you. Stand your ground, contact Jeep customer care, get your booking details and the car allotted to your booking. Get them on email that final payment will happen only after PDI and having a thorough look at the car. After that you can expect them to take 2-3 days to complete all formalities and release the car to you.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 14:19   #1598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
I finally made a decision and blocked Jeep Compass Limited Plus Diesel Manual in KHT Domlur. The car is awaited for delivery by either end of Oct or first week of Nov. The dealer told that we have to pay the entire amount upfront before delivery of the car. My understanding is that the payment happens only after PDI.
They are not entirely wrong by today's standards. It is a problem if you cancel at last moment and have not made payment. They are stuck with a car in that case in dealer's inventory. Now a days the trend in case of costly cars is to order it from factory only when a customer is committed & has made payment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Get them on email that final payment will happen only after PDI and having a thorough look at the car. After that you can expect them to take 2-3 days to complete all formalities and release the car to you.
Yes - this should work.

Alternatively - make a full payment. But get it in writing from Jeep/Dealer both, that the car MUST not be sent for registration before PDI. And that you are fully entitled to reject the car in PDI and ask for a replacement or cancel the booking and get a refund. If they agree to these terms - make the full payment.

^^ This is what I did in July 2019 & dealers as well as Tata agreed without a single argument. I got a PDI at my time for good 2 hours. And only after my approval did they start the registration process. I had made full payment while the car was still being assembled in factory.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 15:06   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I got a PDI at my time for good 2 hours. And only after my approval did they start the registration process. I had made full payment while the car was still being assembled in factory.
A lot of dealers nowadays are used to the small number of discerning and particular customers who will not budge before they are satisfied about the physical bona fides of the car which is being allotted. Since this is usually a small minority of customers, they are quite OK indulging them since most others will rely on the good faith of the dealership to allot a sound car.

In my case too, I was very clear about the PDI and Honda agreed without any arguments. Gave me a good amount of time without hurry at their stockyard to inspect the car and provide my approval. I kept my end of the bargain and made full payment by the very next day, so that registration and delivery happened fast.

No question of paying anything other than the booking amount before the vehicle is approved by me.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 17:45   #1600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I finally made a decision and blocked Jeep Compass Limited Plus Diesel Manual in KHT Domlur. The car is awaited for delivery by either end of Oct or first week of Nov. The dealer told that we have to pay the entire amount upfront before delivery of the car. My understanding is that the payment happens only after PDI. Need guidance from BHPians on the payment aspects - when do we pay, how much etc. I am going for self + loan.
Pay the booking amount first (50K I think), then the PDI and once you are happy with the PDI, go with the complete payment.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 21:53   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I think you should negotiate for a token booking amount and do the settlement of final amount after PDI. It's hard to get the money back otherwise in case you see a problem with the car but the dealer don't see it that way. Plus, you have the control, for anything you need, only till the time funds are released and once it's done you are totally at their mercy. That's from my personal experience.
sbkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 22:00   #1602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
L
I am again contemplating of Harrier basic variant, which is around 15 lakhs on road here after heavy discounts, BUT thanks to Mahindra's horrible build quality and issues, I am scared of any Indian manufacturers. I do not trust Kia and MG yet. Neither of the other options match the build quality of Compass. What do you think is best option for me?
I had an XUV and although it had great road presence, space and a good torqy engine I hated the ride quality and also the fit and finish. Sold it and took no chance and went for Kia Seltos and trust me it is bang on buck. Love the drive, refinement etc. The criteria I took into account was that I need a compact SUV with a powerful engine with all bells and whistles which is future proof, good automatic(7DCT is excellent), excellent refinement all across and finally which would fetch good resale. Kia Seltos fit all the check boxes and I must say I am super happy.

I was completely confused between JC and Seltos and the uncertainty involved in Compass's future considering it is the only volume car in the stable and looking at Fiat track record generally I thought Kia would be a safe bet. By next change it is going to be an electric car era so if there is any chance of even selling a gasoline car it should be a sheer volume one like the Hyundai, Kia or Maruti.

Although I must admit I loved the JC's ride quality, especially the steering and the power, infact I wanted the Trailhawk but the price made me think twice.

Have been to US a plenty of times and have driven enough Kia cars and realized it is a safe bet. Customer satisfaction index in US for Kia seems to be good in the US as well.

Last edited by springisking : 25th October 2019 at 22:03.
springisking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 15:27   #1603
BHPian

Checked the Jeep Compass Trailhawk today.

At 6'2" and on the bigger side, I found the space inside to be too less, especially for the front seat passengers who would be as tall as I'm. The size of the seats were small as well. Didn't feel like TDing the car.

May be Jeep should have worked on a bigger cabin/car before adding all the Jeep cred.

A lot of times, adventure seekers are generally on the bigger side in size and seek more space. I think that's the reason Compass is not seeing many takers from the offroading enthusiasts.

Jeep should make the Compass Hyundai like.

Variants with more bling features and less off-road capabilities, and standard automatic options for both petrol and diesel variants. With less off-road capabilities, the price should come down significantly as well.

Loading a small cabin car with plethora of offroading capabilities doesn't seem to be logically correct, unless the target is some niche audience.

Quality of the car and Sales experience was top notch. Appreciate Jeep for that and I really want them to do well in India.

Waiting for Jeep to bring a full sized SUV with full localisation.
Old 26th October 2019, 19:50   #1604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Jeep should make the Compass Hyundai like.

Variants with more bling features and less off-road capabilities, and standard automatic options for both petrol and diesel variants. With less off-road capabilities, the price should come down significantly as well.

Instead you can look at Hyundai, right?! And now we have Kia as well which is more Hyundai-like. They have better service network as well.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 20:15   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by springisking View Post
I had an XUV and although it had great road presence, space and a good torqy engine I hated the ride quality and also the fit and finish. Sold it and took no chance and went for Kia Seltos and trust me it is bang on buck. Love the drive, refinement etc. The criteria I took into account was that I need a compact SUV with a powerful engine with all bells and whistles which is future proof, good automatic(7DCT is excellent), excellent refinement all across and finally which would fetch good resale. Kia Seltos fit all the check boxes and I must say I am super happy.

I was completely confused between JC and Seltos and the uncertainty involved in Compass's future considering it is the only volume car in the stable and looking at Fiat track record generally I thought Kia would be a safe bet. By next change it is going to be an electric car era so if there is any chance of even selling a gasoline car it should be a sheer volume one like the Hyundai, Kia or Maruti.
Congrats on the Kia Seltos. It surely is a head turner on road. However, I cannot comment on the resale value yet. MG and Kia are pretty new to India and resale value in India has a lot of indirect factors impacting them.

When I was showing my TUV at Cars24 and Cardekho stores, I enquired them on MG and Kia resale, they said we cannot comment yet as they are pretty new. I agree with them.

Looking at the numbers it is churning I am sure it is a big winner.

I also enquired with my bank on loan closure and new loan on used car. They said 12% is the best they can give on used car, it was shocker

After doing some math, I dropped idea of used JC as it is burning deeper hole in my pocket.

Most Viewed