Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2020, 20:16   #2041

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
This is some progress. All the best and I hope this gets resolved quickly. Don't stop now and of things don't move please escalate via email also.

By the way, what variant is yours and is it Diesel or Petrol. How has been your experience so far barring the unfortunate flooding incident.
I have the Diesel one. The drive experience is awesome. It is really an amazing vehicle. But for this incident, things were really good with the vehicle.
Old 16th November 2020, 20:30   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 : A review from the hills of Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
I acquired a Jeep Compass 4X4 Diesel Automatic (Limited Plus) in February 2020. I couldn't drive it around as much as I would have liked, thanks to the prevailing circumstances. I could only drive 2500 Kms. While I like everything about the car, I am concerned about one thing.

Ever since I bought it, I have been hearing this noise when accelerating from low speeds. It is a "Grrr" sound which comes when I hit the accelerator pedal when driving around say 40 Kmph and it goes away and everything is then normal until I am back at low speed and accelerate.

I reported the problem to the Jeep Service center here in Hyderabad. The service engineer drove the car and stated that this is an "Operational Issue" that Jeep is working on fixing. According to him, it is there in all automatic cars and he was telling me some technical stuff about hydraulics that I couldn't make any sense of!! He said that a fix will be coming soon any maybe when I give the car for the second services (in another six months or so), it might have arrived.

I wasn't convinced with his answer. I had test driven the same model for quite a few times and there was no such noise and when I searched Team-BHP, I didn't find anybody bringing out this issue.

I have written to Jeep and have escalated the matter to the top management of Pride Jeep in Hyderabad but I wanted to see if anybody has a similar experience with the vehicle?

Hi,

I have a Diesel 4x4 Limited Plus Automatic purchased in August 2020. I can confirm that the noise you are referring to is present in my vehicle also. It happens when the automatic gearbox upshifts and changes gear while you are accelerating slowly and constantly. The same noise is present in my neighbours Diesel 4x4 Automatic Limited Plus as well.

I also showed the vehicle to the dealer the very next day of taking delivery and he said that Jeep is aware and that this noise is present in all 4x4 automatics.

He said Jeep states that this as an Operational Noise of the gearbox and it is normal. He mentioned that this is due to some hydraulic pressure and the Dog Clutches in the gearbox that make this noise while the gears are being shifted. The noise is most obvious when the gear change happens from 4th to 5th gear. He did not tell me about any software update or fix that would be made available.

Further, the noise is more apparent on a cold transmission, once the car has run about 20 odd kilometres and the transmission temperature is > 70 Degrees the noise subsides quite a bit.

Do update regarding this noise if you get the software update as your dealer mentioned.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:11   #2043
BHPian

Can someone please validate the video uploaded on YouTube. I can validate few points, but some points seem to be overly hyped sales pitch.

Old 17th November 2020, 14:30   #2044
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 : A review from the hills of Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Hi,

I have a Diesel 4x4 Limited Plus Automatic purchased in August 2020. I can confirm that the noise you are referring to is present in my vehicle also. It happens when the automatic gearbox upshifts and changes gear while you are accelerating slowly and constantly. The same noise is present in my neighbours Diesel 4x4 Automatic Limited Plus as well.

I also showed the vehicle to the dealer the very next day of taking delivery and he said that Jeep is aware and that this noise is present in all 4x4 automatics.

He said Jeep states that this as an Operational Noise of the gearbox and it is normal. He mentioned that this is due to some hydraulic pressure and the Dog Clutches in the gearbox that make this noise while the gears are being shifted. The noise is most obvious when the gear change happens from 4th to 5th gear. He did not tell me about any software update or fix that would be made available.

Further, the noise is more apparent on a cold transmission, once the car has run about 20 odd kilometres and the transmission temperature is > 70 Degrees the noise subsides quite a bit.

Do update regarding this noise if you get the software update as your dealer mentioned.
Traveller,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I spoke to the dealership again today. Someone there told me that the noise is there in SOME automatic vehicles (explains why it was not present in the vehicle that I test drove). I am not settling for the explanation that they are giving that is an "operational noise" and don't see why I should "live with it", if at all that is their expectation. This is a Rs. 30 L car and there cannot be any such glitches.

I am working with them to resolve this and will keep you posted.

Cheers!
GentleGiant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:18   #2045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
Traveller,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I spoke to the dealership again today. Someone there told me that the noise is there in SOME automatic vehicles (explains why it was not present in the vehicle that I test drove). I am not settling for the explanation that they are giving that is an "operational noise" and don't see why I should "live with it", if at all that is their expectation. This is a Rs. 30 L car and there cannot be any such glitches.

I am working with them to resolve this and will keep you posted.

Cheers!
Thanks a lot. I hope this is resolved quickly and properly with a clear understanding of what exactly cauing this noise.

Do update as soon as you get to the bottom of this. Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:10   #2046

Hi all,
FCA seems to be running a promotion for Jeep owners, wherein you can register yourself at https://thejeeplife.in/ and get some goodies. I ordered mine.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jeep_life.jpg
Old 18th November 2020, 15:27   #2047
BHPian

Is this new? I had received some goodies quite some time back.
Old 19th November 2020, 16:46   #2048

Hello all,

We are thinking of upgrading from a VW Vento. We have test driven the Harrier and the Jeep Compass, and are also considering Hyundai Tucson.

We are leaning more towards the Jeep Compass since my father is more comfortable with its Vento like drivability.

Currently, we have been able to get a price differential between the Longitude Plus and the Limited Plus trims stand at around INR 3 Lakhs. Is the price differential justified going for the higher trim?

We are also concerned about Jeep Service, hence the Tucson still remains a contender.

Your kind advice would be really appreciated.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd November 2020 at 12:58. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 19th November 2020, 18:39   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourishganguly View Post
We are leaning more towards the Jeep Compass since my father is more comfortable with its Vento like drivability.
Currently, we have been able to get a price differential between the Longitude Plus and the Limited Plus trims stand at around INR 3 Lakhs. Is the price differential justified going for the higher trim?
I would recommend Limited Plus variant any day eyes closed, if it is in your budget. This variant has below features above the Longitude Plus
  • Panoramic Sunroof
  • Electric Adjustable driver seat
  • Bigger Alloys
  • 4 Additional Airbags
  • Bigger 8.4 touch screen
  • LED Headlights
  • Auto dimming IRVM
  • Auto wipers and headlights

If you can wait for December clearance sale, you might get a better deal. Best of luck.
Old 19th November 2020, 22:48   #2050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChidSrini75 View Post
The vehicle was estimated for repairs and I got an estimation for 26.07 lakhs.

Another 7 days got spent and eventually I got an estimation for 9 lakhs.
I feel you should have accepted the estimate of 26 lakhs and let the insurance company process a total loss claim. The dealer would have been happier with that arrangement, as he gets to profit from that arrangement. It is not hard to see why they are delaying the paperwork.

I'd suggest you call them up and ask them if the 26L estimate offer is still on the table, and if available, take it and let the insurance company handle the rest.

Its better to drive a brand new vehicle than a flood-damaged-cum-repaired one, which would also have a reduced resale in the used car market.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 11:58   #2051

Yes, I would have agreed had the dealer not put in the following clause:-

1) I had to pay a parking charge of 350/- per day
Note- the insurance company stated that it would take around 2 months to complete the process for total loss, that would end up me paying 350/- multiplied by 60 days

2) The dealer was also quoting that I should pay an estimation charge of 5% on the estimated value. Estimated value in my case was 26L.

I had already incurred an expense of Rs.7000/- on towing the vehicle to the service centre. If I need to avoid the parking charges, then I should have re-towed the vehicle back home, which would have been another 7000/- It is not just the 7000/-, but I would have ended up making numerous calls etc to get all this arranged.

To be honest, ever since my vehicle got flooded, it has really been extremely agonizing days.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd November 2020 at 12:59. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 21st November 2020, 03:02   #2052

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
If you can wait for December clearance sale, you might get a better deal. Best of luck.
Thank you very much for your response. Do you reckon it would be worth waiting for the facelifted Compass that's scheduled for a launch next year, or would it become very expensive taking into consideration the discounts that are being offered on the outgoing model.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st November 2020 at 05:54. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 21st November 2020, 09:55   #2053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you very much for your response. Do you reckon it would be worth waiting for the facelifted Compass that's scheduled for a launch next year, or would it become very expensive taking into consideration the discounts that are being offered on the outgoing model.
It's difficult to predict this easily. With current discounts you maybe able to get the top spec limited plus for a price that will only get you the lower or mid level trims in the facelift when launched.

However there is a gamble to this. JEEP may rationalise prices since sales are really poor and the Compass is literally sinking in numbers after the Seltos/Creta iceberg that struck it.

On the other hand they may not rationalise prices and discounts will start on newer model within few months.

One more twist is if they do decide to get the facelift compass at lower price points, have they done extensive cost cutting to compete lower down the pecking order?
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 12:05   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Do you reckon it would be worth waiting for the facelifted Compass that's scheduled for a launch next year, or would it become very expensive taking into consideration the discounts that are being offered on the outgoing model.
The new model is going to be even more expensive than the current model (I hope and pray that Jeep proves me wrong). There is no clarity on actual release date.

It is totally up to you, if there is no urgent need for a new vehicle, then better wait for facelift one. The facelift version is a lot better than the current model, not sure if Jeep has done any skimming on build quality. The interiors look quantum leap ahead than the ongoing model.

https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-im...gallery-419238
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 22:58   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Knowing how Jeep India positions itself, I am certain that there won't be any year end discounts on the top variants. They have never discounted the top end variants. Its always the mid and lower variants that get the cuts.

Also the new version will definitely be more expensive. No two ways about it.

I know of atleast 3 people including myself who purchased the top end limited 4x4 and none of us really got any discounts. Just some small partly sum was offered as discount that too after a lot of haggling.

If you have your heart and mind set then go for it at the earliest. Prices keep going up as time passes.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks