Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2022, 11:26   #3691
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Abhisekkhanna, knightfurry has laid it out very well for you. The Compass diesel, though pricey, is currently the right upgrade from the Ecosport.
If you're ok with the Compass diesel manual, I would say go for it.
I too am in the same dilemma as I am looking to replace my Ecosport Ecoboost with a petrol auto upgrade. After test driving a whole lot of options in the petrol auto SUV space in the budget range of 15-25 L ex-showroom, I have narrowed down to the Compass and Taigun. The heart definitely picks the Compass petrol auto if only all decisions could be heart taken.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 18:08   #3692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaj View Post
Hi guys,

I have been considering buying Jeep Compass Model S diesel 4x4 or the trailhawk.
I drive a 22 Compass 2D MT and while exploring off road, found that the front overhang a bit of a handicap in certain situations. Though mine is 2wd, if you have a 4x4 capability and not able to negotiate the terrain because of the overhang, the car would be sitting duck. The below video by Autocar might be helpful, you can skip to around 9.00.

I feel one can explore with greater confidence in a Trailhawk.
Old 6th July 2022, 04:57   #3693
BHPian

Hi all. This is a query regarding service centers in Maharashtra and any issues regarding the multi-air 1.4 engine. My experience with the service center in Pune has been very poor if not shocking. The place is jammed with vehicles, CRM and service advisors are incompetent, lack basic knowledge of features on variants and cannot resolve basic issues with paint work. Vehicles that have finished their servicing take a long time to get out of the service center as the cars could be stuck in there due to other cars blocking the exit. I really do not want to take my car there for the 1st 5000km service. I am guessing the free services should still apply if I decide to get the car serviced from other service centers

Are other service centers similar as in quality and space?

Could members/owners advise on the state and efficiency of other service centers in Maharashtra? I am hoping Kolhapur, Aurangabad or Mumbai service centers are doing a better job and have a spacious enough area.

If the service people struggle with providing basic service what would they end up doing when there is a issue with the car especially with the engine or gearbox.

It would help to know if there are any known issues with the 1.4 petrol engine that could creep up after some time.
Old 6th July 2022, 10:06   #3694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaj View Post
Hi guys,

I have been considering buying Jeep Compass Model S diesel 4x4 or the trailhawk. Have been in 2 minds for a while now. One part of me says, may as well pay a couple of lacs extra and can probably push the car a bit more on the off-road, the other half loves the looks of Model S and says u were driving a Hyundai Verna automatic, the Model S is anyways going to take you beyond that. (I am an amateur bird photographer and tend to just go off exploring small trails whenever opportunity presents itself)

But in between all of this, I get to know of all the rattles and niggles of the Jeep compass and that splits me into a third part which says, almost 40lacs and do u want all the rattles?
I have 2 questions:
1. Does the trailhawk also have the same rattling issue as Model S?
2. How bad is the rattling noise? Owners, how are you all coping up with the noise?

Any help that makes my decision making easier will be appreciated.
I am pretty sure it was a sales pitch but when I took a TD of the Compass last week and asked the SA about the rattles, she assured me it was a thing of past; apparently, this was fixed in all cars rolled out after September 2021.
Old 6th July 2022, 10:49   #3695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_chelat View Post
I am pretty sure it was a sales pitch but when I took a TD of the Compass last week and asked the SA about the rattles, she assured me it was a thing of past; apparently, this was fixed in all cars rolled out after September 2021.
I recently test drove a top end (not the trailhawk) version of compass diesel automatic which I am pretty sure was manufactured after september 2021 and there were rattles somewhere near the sunroof console area. One of the reasons I am holding back on purchase of compass and looking at alternatives.

Last edited by etrast75 : 6th July 2022 at 11:00.
Old 6th July 2022, 11:33   #3696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
I too am in the same dilemma as I am looking to replace my Ecosport Ecoboost with a petrol auto upgrade. After test driving a whole lot of options in the petrol auto SUV space in the budget range of 15-25 L ex-showroom, I have narrowed down to the Compass and Taigun. The heart definitely picks the Compass petrol auto if only all decisions could be heart taken.
We were inclined to see Taigun too, but the horrible reviews of DQ200 DSG didn’t inspire confidence. Setting aside couple of bigones for GB repairs just doesn’t make sense. Also, the service is a hit or miss of VW. Not Jeep is great but after a failed product dealing with VW & SA ASS isn’t worth. All the best!
Old 6th July 2022, 13:47   #3697
BHPian

Happy to inform the Enthusiast Fraternity that after a sudden brain wave and inspiration I have purchased a pre worshipped Jeep Compass 4x4 Ltd Manual. I consider this acquisition as short timed, well planned and executed and it has resulted in that which for me in essence is as having gobbled up a mouthwatering deal. Have generally believed in preowned till date I have gone to the showroom only thrice for a Linea T Jet and a Chevvy Beat (wifeys treat) and an HD Street Rod. Rest three cars namely an Ikon 1.6 (1st among equals), Abarth Punto and the current Jeep have been preworshipped.

The Compass is a late 2018 regd model with 17817 Km on the odo when I aquired it just over a week back for 14.5 L and I sealed the deal with full downpayment i.e cash out and Compass in. I was never was much of an SUV buff and have always preferred cars for pers ownership as in the course of my service have been driving 4x4 all along from deserts to High Altitude Areas (16000 ft) and more from the old Jonga to Mahindra MM540 to Gypsies, 4x4 trucks like TATA 2.5s and Ashok Leyland Stallions, 6x6 Russian Kraz and even a Tatra 8x8 and many other things beyond the road or above it in the air. But the Jeep bug bit me ever since I drove my brothers Compass (2021) 4x2 last yr right after his purchase. This was a veh that offered the true ruggedness of an SUV and the dynamics of a well sorted road car. Rest of the capable ones (except the Audi Q3) appeared to me as either bumpy or lumpy and no matter their creature comforts or "presence" they did not prove to be comfortable on road as a road car of the same price range and that is imp for me from the perspective of pers ownership. That may be due to the fact that for 'the great outdoors' I have never required a pers vehicle. The balance of the candidates appeared just like French Pastries or Jacked up Hathbacks masquerading as SUVs as if in a Pantomine.

For me the Compass appeared as the perfect balance between a sprightly and comfy sedan and an accomplised mudplugger. I was clear on two things for owning an SUV. It had to be 4x4 (preferably manual) and had to move good enough on the road such that I did not miss a good road car while driving. Only other vehicle I seriously was tempted to buy was a 12 yr old Grand Vitara done only 60K.
Even though it was costing me nearly three quarter less than the Compass, and a petrol, (Ive could never make myself be concerned with Kpl) I let it go for the concerns on the practicality of owning such an old car given the constantly mobile nature of my service. The GV was in fine nick though.

Nonetheless all is well that ends well and Im posting a few images of my new love and sure as hell she's one hell of a looker and a heaven of a grinder. Hope to keep riding her well and the first thing I did was get her new shoes in 225/65 R17 speck and Im more the merrier for it than the stock size.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-a0207c55054f46798adcce882f890911.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-00f44e7b0eee4e869b5d3fe911a6d359.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-6f307caceb804aa4bb6b249fd5ef1b5b.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-3948e31322a34f70a186b78df34724fd.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-782954580884400f8e5966b3088afb10.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-930540c6571b4b2a89050532fec0e696.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-93169d8da55549d38ee63e8510b5941e.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-aae521aeae88471181525237a24fc981.jpg  

Air Cav is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 14:02   #3698
BHPian

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has got the screen guard installed on the touchscreen of the facelifted Compass.

If yes, what brand? I've come across one of "Armour Guards 9H Unbreakable Screen Protector" available in gloss as well as matte finish. Should one go for it at all?

Inputs much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 6th July 2022, 15:21   #3699
BHPian

My daughter has the 2020 1.4 petrol 4x2 limited . She has been given a quote by the dealer for extended warranty for 5 years or 1 lac kms for 45K.

Should she go for it? Advice appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EW Terms-and-Condition copy.pdf (279.4 KB, 166 views)
Old 6th July 2022, 16:49   #3700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinRS View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has got the screen guard installed on the touchscreen of the facelifted Compass.

If yes, what brand? I've come across one of "Armour Guards 9H Unbreakable Screen Protector" available in gloss as well as matte finish. Should one go for it at all?

Inputs much appreciated. Thanks!
I had put on the same (10.1" 9h) in my Compass last week. It's glossy and saves the daily morning cleaning of the Screen I feel that the matte finish dulls the display by few notches and went for the glossy.
Mysticeyes is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 00:52   #3701
BHPian

I got a Diesel Manual for my long drives however thanks to family requirements I have started taking this to office in peak Bangalore traffic hours. I am consistently bothered that I will destroy the clutch although I am very careful of not using half clutch. I juggle a fair amount between 1 and Neutral.

Any suggestions so that I can calm down a little?
Old 7th July 2022, 09:43   #3702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
I got a Diesel Manual for my long drives however thanks to family requirements I have started taking this to office in peak Bangalore traffic hours. I am consistently bothered that I will destroy the clutch although I am very careful of not using half clutch. I juggle a fair amount between 1 and Neutral.

Though i drive mainly on highways, my wife frequently drives from Mysore road to Whitefield, you can imagine the traffic.
As the first gear is very short, she modulates the clutch in first gear without throttle in bumper traffic. Unfortunately, this juggling only seems the way, unless any experts can comment here.
bullitt1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 11:54   #3703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post

There is nothing much you can do to completely avoid this half clutch thing in very slow moving traffic, even in first gear. You need to halt and wait for a bigger gap, then slot to first, fill the gap, brake, neutral, stop, repeat .

With heavy traffic in slightly faster conditions, do not do this half clutch in second gear!. That will be harmful to the clutch. But look to move in first as much as you can even at the cost of slightly more fuel.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 15:28   #3704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Congratulations Kalpak. What was the eventual variant that you bought? The diesel 4x2 MT Longitude(O)?
Thank you Kedar.....Yes indeed. That was the model that could fit my budget. Rather I would say that the Jeep got it fitted into my budget i must say.
Old 7th July 2022, 15:46   #3705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cav View Post
The Compass is a late 2018 regd model with 17817 Km on the odo when I acquired it just over a week back for 14.5 L and I sealed the deal with full downpayment i.e cash out and Compass in.
14.5 lakhs?? Thats a real sweet deal you got there! The buyer must have been in a hurry. Most preowned Compass 4X4's retail for a lot more.

Wishing you many miles with the Compass.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 7th July 2022 at 16:12. Reason: Broken quote tags

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks