Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2022, 14:30   #3781

Re: Rain Sensing Auto Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
It should work. I had a similar issue in my previous car Linea and they had to replace the sensor to fix the issue. If you have the video clipping of the issue, then upload it in Youtube and share the link here. You can also get it checked at the service center.
Adding another video

Old 17th August 2022, 15:47   #3782

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Well I think that’s along list for you!! Happy Jeeping.
Thank you for writing this exhaustive list, Traveler. Will help me a lot
Old 17th August 2022, 21:33   #3783
BHPian

I have a question on dashcams, WRT Jeep warranty.

I find that there are many folks who are using dashcams on the Jeep. But do not hard-wire it. Its plugged into the lighter socket. Good.

What is the standard operating procedure when you send your Jeep for service?
Do you disconnect and remove the dashcam out of the Jeep before handing over for service?

Is warranty busted if they find the dashcam installed in the Jeep? Is it ok if they find the dashcam, but not plugged in or hardwired? What has been the real life experience?
Old 17th August 2022, 21:52   #3784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post

I find that there are many folks who are using dashcams on the Jeep. But do not hard-wire it. Its plugged into the lighter socket. Good.

Do you disconnect and remove the dashcam out of the Jeep before handing over for service?

Is warranty busted if they find the dashcam installed in the Jeep? Is it ok if they find the dashcam, but not plugged in or hardwired? What has been the real life experience?
Mine is plugged into the 12v lighter socket and the wires are routed near the roof lining. When I give it for service I just remove the dashcam unit and leave the charger in the car. Never had any issues with service or warranty as there is no wire tapping or hard wiring. I am using the 70mai dashcam 1080p front one only. This is pretty good and also affordable (had got it around 6k)
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 22:06   #3785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post

I have a 70mai rear view mirror dash cam in my Jeep. Wires have been routed through the roof liner and door beadings, adapter plugged in to the 12w socket at the rear. When I gave the Jeep for first service I just pulled out the adapter, nothing else. The Service advisor didn’t mention about any warranty issues. My understanding is unless it is hardwired there shouldn’t be any warranty issues.
Night Raven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 11:29   #3786

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I’m sorry if I’m literally spamming this thread with too many posts. I’m seeking feedback on the Jeep Compass Petrol automatic, especially its fuel efficiency in bumper to bumper traffic conditions, like in Bangalore. I intend to drive around 35kms everyday in peak hour bumper to bumper traffic and the occasional long drives, probably looking at 15k per year and not more. I keep coming across a lot of negative feedback on the Compass Petrol automatic, especially on its low fuel efficiency and also about its rather slow DCT gearbox. During my two test drives I found the DCT gearbox to be rather quick and actually enjoyable.

I own a 2021 Petrol DDCT Limited. I have done 8000-odd kms in the last 8 months, and have observed the following:

A. The transmission does feel slightly sluggish and the engine has a certain grunt at lower gears and speeds. However, it’s not a dealbreaker in anyway. As soon as you move past 30-35kmph, the ride is smooth.

B. The car really dons its beast mode on the highway. It’s an absolute joy to drive on the open road. Gear shifts are smooth. The ride is planted at all times and handles amazingly on corners. Overtakes are easy enough when you have already built some momentum. You may feel a certain split second lag when accelerating suddenly though. But if you are a majorly staid driver like me, such situations will be few and far between.

C. Fuel economy is between 7.5 to 9 KMPL in the city with AC always on. Settles around 9 over a longer period. On the highway I get around 13-14 KMPL. I have always used regular petrol. Not sure if high octane variants lead to better efficiency and ROI.

I have gathered a lot more insight on my Jeep in the last 8 months and intend to do a full review soon, fingers crossed.

As is customary, here are a couple of snaps of my Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-0bed73d4c4ff409787d6a7a75af8baea.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-1ebab098f08f4d55bfd7384d2147192c.jpeg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th August 2022 at 23:38. Reason: Trimming quoted text.
chillingmonk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 22:23   #3787
BHPian

Can anyone tell me how good/bad is the rear view camera of the Compass in darkness? Mine is a 2022 sport model and I find the camera pretty much useless at night. Just wanted to know if it is the same for all variants or if it is some problem with mine.

Attaching a picture for reference. In comparison the view from the dashcam screen is far better.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-627b8de67654400ca9c87e55f151498e.jpeg
Night Raven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 22:25   #3788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Can anyone tell me how good/bad is the rear view camera of the Compass in darkness? Mine is a 2022 sport model and I find the camera pretty much useless at night. Just wanted to know if it is the same for all variants or if it is some problem with mine.

Attaching a picture for reference. In comparison the view from the dashcam screen is far better.

Attachment 2348005
I find the rear camera amongst the best. I have the limited variant so the screen is slightly bigger. I think the Compass has one of the better cameras in the market.
Pancham is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 00:07   #3789
BHPian

Asking again as I did not get a response before.

Has anyone been able to source AT tyres in stock size 225/55/18. Falken Wildpeak AT01 are available in the US and I was wondering if anyone is importing them here.

Since no AT tyre is available in this size in India, I don't think the import regulation will stop an importer.

There is no AT tyre in 17 inches also and my only fallback is to downsize to 16in steel rims and use Geolander 215/65/16 but the ride will get lower and is another can of worms there.

Tyre gurus, please advise!
Old 20th August 2022, 08:31   #3790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_drives View Post
Adding another video
It should work. Get this checked at the service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P View Post

There is no AT tyre in 17 inches also
You have Goodyear Wrangler AT SilentTrac 225/60 R17.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 10:17   #3791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post

Same situation for me too. I took it to Service Centre and showed the night photographs where the throw of reverse light is so poor. They told that it's normal. So I asked them to check at night and they say that Service close by 6 PM I guess it's a case of poor illumination by the reverse lamp.
Mysticeyes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 17:44   #3792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P View Post

Has anyone been able to source AT tyres in stock size 225/55/18. Falken Wildpeak AT01 are available in the US and I was wondering if anyone is importing them here.

Since no AT tyre is available in this size in India, I don't think the import regulation will stop an importer.

There is no AT tyre in 17 inches also and my only fallback is to downsize to 16in steel rims and use Geolander 215/65/16 but the ride will get lower and is another can of worms there.

Tyre gurus, please advise!
I had the same issue for a very long time. My solution was to get 16 inch original Jeep Steel rims that came with the Sports Variant earlier. On these 16 inch wheels you put 235/60 R16 Apollo Aprterra AT2 tyres and you are set. The ground clearance difference is negligible and the car rides way better than the 18inch tyres.

I completed a full Bangalore - Zanskar - Leh - Bangalore trip with this setup and it was a great experience.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 18:15   #3793
Senior - BHPian

Is the Compass likely to get six airbags across its range in the coming months? Wondering if existing owners have some insider info from their contacts.
Old 20th August 2022, 21:46   #3794
BHPian

For a while I have been comparing, reading reviews, talking to people locally in my society, discussing internally within my family, following this and other forums dedicated to Jeep Compass and finally, due to a lot of intermittent reliability issues reported/heard of from existing owners, and elsewhere on the internet, I have decided to no longer pursue this line of thought.

Context
- I am a driving enthusiast - drive about 2-3 long drives in 6 months and long drives are mostly in the range of 1000-1200 kms.
- Extreme off-roading doesn't really interest me that much in real life but I prefer the capability to be able to go over potholes (Indian roads) without any fuss.
- I come from a hatch back background, 8 yr old Nissan Micra, and have driven XUV300 (in family) extensively on a few long road trips.
- I want a reliable, safe car with really solid NCAP ratings (I am a family man in his early thirties) that doesn't give up on me in need of times and doesn't require too many visits to service center.
- I usually maintain my equipment in a disciplined manner (timely services, fix things promptly instead of waiting for them to go fully bad, etc.) and do not try to save every penny at the cost of long term reliability / peace-of-mind.
- I am genuinely interested in experiencing a somewhat premium (less-tiring, reliable nature experience) drive in my upcoming vehicle (Nissan Micra was bought in the phase of life when I was just starting my career, hence went with cheapest possible automatic at the time)
- My initial budget was 40-42L, now stretched till 50L to fit in BMW X1 due to limited options available.
- I have been in petrol variant mindset as my running is under 10k / year with virtually no offroading as such. The most I did in the name of off roading was a Bangalore-Ahmedabad-JK-Leh-Zanskar-Nubra Valley-Turtuk-Pangong-Leh-JK-Ahmedabad-Bangalore trip in an XUV300. Hence my research is primarily aimed towards Petrol variant of vehicles (4x2 automatic transmission Model S in case of Jeep Compass)

For the benefit of others, issues I have heard of so far from owners (almost all of them are intermittent in nature) and feedback I have had from an expert team of mechanical professionals at Wheels Wisdom are:

- Rattling noise - Very intermittent in nature - Faced this in Model S test drive vehicle but this was not so pronounced in diesel test drive (Model S 4x4 variant) vehicle.
- Lethargic pickup until a certain speed is achieved.
- Electrical malfunctioning, e.g. errors on MID that aren't actually true, sometimes door unlocked notifications, sometimes something else, etc.
- Overall unreliable behaviour in day to day running, such as sudden/unexpected heaviness in car, forcing drivers to pull over aside and then car not starting.
- Overall lack of proper answers on service engineer's part about proper solutions to issues (More about it below)
- Intermittent issues with rain sensing wipers.
- AC cooling, to force cooling in mild hot temperatures (around 30-35 degrees Celsius), AC has to be kept at under 20 most of the times, else cooling doesn't really work - this happened with me during my test drive too, and this really kicks back in the blower all the time.
- Sudden/unexpected steering snapback in traffic - this happened with me during my test drive too.

As for what I heard from the expert:
- FCA (now Stellantis) like many other non-Indian automotive manufacturers have their principal R&D centers outside of India (mostly in their base (a developed) country) as a reason of which they often lack on-ground expertise of climatic / road conditions. This hurts their ability to understand real-world issues (often not reproducible in ideal test conditions) faced by Indian drivers.
- There are very few non-Indian automotive manufacturers that invest heavily in R&D Center in India AND more importantly, give their R&D experts (based out of India) the autonomy to take major decisions in vehicle's design. (examples given were of Japanese and S-Korean manufacturers Toyota, Hyundai/Kia, Honda, etc.)
- Due to this limitation, despite the best of their intentions, the service engineers in workshops / service centers do not have good enough answers when it comes to addressing concerns that have not yet been heard off in the manufacturer's home-base country specific roads/climatic conditions.
- More often than not, engineers at service station stick to the book and/or at the best, take bets on what is most probable to solve a previously unseen issue. This hurts customer sentiment as bets sometimes pay well and at other times do not.

Please note, this is all based on ongoing research and I reserve my rights to be wrong. Hence hoping this doesn't trigger any unnecessary quarrels with people who disagree. On the contrary, I definitely welcome constructive criticism especially if its origin is based on real evidence as opposed to one-off experiences, preconceived notions.

I have now started to research Toyota Fortuner (Petrol) - I have heard this is really rare and nobody really buys a Toyota Fortuner (Petrol), so much so that they do not even have a TD vehicle for Petrol variant at any of the dealers in Bangalore - and BMW X1 Petrol xline variant. However I plan on sharing my findings on this comparison in a relevant forum.

I am in no hurry hence waiting it out as SUV market is red hot currently with really extremely vehicle prices and long waiting periods.

Extremely thankful for this forum and I plan to continue to follow posts here for further developments.
PaceTraveller is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 10:28   #3795
BHPian

I see a fall of about 8mm in ride hight. Was that an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I had the same issue for a very long time. My solution was to get 16 inch original Jeep Steel rims that came with the Sports Variant earlier. On these 16 inch wheels you put 235/60 R16 Apollo Aprterra AT2 tyres and you are set. The ground clearance difference is negligible and the car rides way better than the 18inch tyres.

I completed a full Bangalore - Zanskar - Leh - Bangalore trip with this setup and it was a great experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks