Team-BHP - Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/190607-volkswagen-tiguan-official-review-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84.monsoon (Post 4279620)
I wonder if VW is quietly withdrawing the Tiguan temporarily to make space for the Kodiaq.

Well, what I understand from the dealer is, the cess increase threat resulted in higher demand in August and early September, finishing up every unit they had in stock (that would have lasted for about a month longer if not for cess increase). In fact, this dealer alone got ~30 bookings in last 2 weeks before cess increase, compared to the same number they booked over entire July and half of Aug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidyabhushan (Post 4280114)
Quick perspective from an owner -
Is it over priced? Heck yeah, but I would rather put my 33.5 L on a comfortline Tiguan than a Fortuner, Endeavor, Q3, X1 (I wouldnt put even 10 Lakhs on GLA though).

Thanks for your detailed response vidyabhushan, much appreciated!
I feel pretty much the same way as you (with some additional constraints: viz. sheer constraint on vehicle length being <4.5m due to parking space restriction, and wife's abhorrence to the big 3 Germans). The only two things I feel Tiguan should have added are a decent audio system (no complaints with HU, speakers are a huge miss for this price point though) and auto-dimming ORVMs.
However, I haven't had a chance to test drive the vehicle yet. Since I am planning to buy the vehicle on lease, I waited for the GST dust to settle down. And now, the dealers are unresponsive...

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidyabhushan (Post 4280121)
...cess increase threat resulted in higher demand in August and early September, finishing up every unit they had in stock (that would have lasted for about a month longer if not for cess increase).

That's pretty much in line with what I heard from my dealer (who said, "Volkswagen has overachieved sales target for Tiguan").
I'd not be very happy if this is true. Tiguan dealer-dispatch figures from August (as reported on another thread on this forum) - which should account for early September deliveries as well if I understand correctly - were nothing to write home about. And if this reflects more than what Volkswagen expected of Tiguan in its early months (where initial euphoria around the product should have resulted in higher dispatch numbers in my opinion), then it makes me wonder what's Volkswagen's intent behind launching this car and their eventual sales targets. Makes me wonder about availability of spares and service personnel expertise in handling the vehicle too down the line if it sells in such low numbers.
Additionally, I'd have expected the company/dealers to account for festive month bookings/deliveries and prepared accordingly - in any case, not having TD vehicles available is absolutely inexcusable in my humble opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidyabhushan (Post 4280114)
yet peppy for his/her solo trips to office

Well, after driving the 1.8 TSi Laura for 8 years, I won't find this one peppy at all. That's one BIG grouse I have against the Tiguan, apart from the price. They should launch an RS version of this and then we will talk (I like the looks, specially the front and the massive sunroof).

BTW, how effective are the headlamps? Can you see the road in the night? If you have owned Vento TSi, you know what I mean, it's one blind car! Can't see a thing in the night...:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 4280258)
Well, after driving the 1.8 TSi Laura for 8 years, I won't find this one peppy at all. That's one BIG grouse I have against the Tiguan, apart from the price. They should launch an RS version of this and then we will talk (I like the looks, specially the front and the massive sunroof).

BTW, how effective are the headlamps? Can you see the road in the night? If you have owned Vento TSi, you know what I mean, it's one blind car! Can't see a thing in the night...:Frustrati

After the 1.8tsi, the only cars which will feel like an upgrade are the 6 cylinder germans. A pre worshipped X3 30D maybe? 😁

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 4280258)

Low beam is excellent and high beam is just adequate. I drove around 400km in the night on all kind of roads and conditions while driving back from interiors of Sakleshpur to Bangalore and had no problem at all with the headlamps. The combination of fog lamps and LED headlamps works well in the rainy conditions.

I compared it side-by-side against my brother's Q3 and my impression was that the low beam illumination and throw match up, however Q3's low beam spreads really wide and the cornering LED is very effective as well. And the high beam of Q3 was far superior and had better throw.

If anyone is seriously interested to know how it compares against X1, I could take help from my neighbor. He has a brand new X1. I wasn't curious at all after my night drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkkkkaran (Post 4280418)
After the 1.8tsi, the only cars which will feel like an upgrade are the 6 cylinder germans. A pre worshipped X3 30D maybe? 😁

6 cylinder German petrol :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj_koova (Post 4280502)
Low beam is excellent and high beam is just adequate.

I compared it side-by-side against my brother's Q3 and my impression was that the low beam illumination and throw match up, however Q3's low beam spreads really wide and the cornering LED is very effective as well. And the high beam of Q3 was far superior and had better throw..

Interesting. Thanks for this. Genrally no reviews cover headlight performance and illumination.

BTW, X1 has 190bhp engine, why would you not be interested in reviewing it? Please do post a detailed comparo whenever you get a chance. Such real world owner's takes are immensely helpful :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkkkkaran (Post 4280418)
After the 1.8tsi, the only cars which will feel like an upgrade are the 6 cylinder germans.

I agree. I meant 'peppy' by standards of Ford Endy 2.2L, especially with the leisurely AT boxes provided by Ford and Toyotas of the world. when i test drove Endeavor, it was 3.2L AT and it was just adequate.
To be honest, i dont find Tiguan accelerating any faster than my Vento TSI. But once you are in triple digits, there is no comparison. Tiguan masks triple digit speeds so well, because of its sorted dynamics as well as low revvs needed to maintain that speed.
BTW, I did notice that I was driving in ECO mode for a good part of first 500 kms - when i switched to Normal, it felt slightly better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj_koova (Post 4280502)
Low beam is excellent and high beam is just adequate. I drove around 400km in the night on all kind of roads and conditions while driving back from interiors of Sakleshpur to Bangalore and had no problem at all with the headlamps. The combination of fog lamps and LED headlamps works well in the rainy conditions.

I compared it side-by-side against my brother's Q3 and my impression was that the low beam illumination and throw match up, however Q3's low beam spreads really wide and the cornering LED is very effective as well. And the high beam of Q3 was far superior and had better throw.

Ditto. My first night drive of Tiguan was immediately after my father's Merc GLE 350D, and I sure doubted if Tiguan really has a LED headlamp - it wasnt even half as bright as the Merc. Coming from the 'blind' Vento, headlamps were a priority in new car.
But even though the headlamps arent as effective as other Germans, it isnt ineffective by any standards. You would find it fairly adequate by most standards. I agree that high beam could have been better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by docsr (Post 4279418)
Same situation with the test drive here in Bangalore too. The sales person does not seem interested in pursuing requests for the test drive. He would never commit to a definite appointment despite multiple calls.
Initially , it was "we can bring vehicle to your door as soon as you ask" to "come to showroom across town and we will try to arrange the test drive if the vehicle is there" later.
So there goes .....

As i understand, most dealers do not have a dedicated test drive TIGUAN yet.
My brother-in-law took delivery of Tiguan Highline 10 days before I booked - having driven his Tiguan, I didnt wait for a test drive from dealer to seal the deal. And guess what, paid booking amount on Monday evening and on Friday evening the car was in my garage - they managed loan approval, registration, PDI etc. all in 4 days. The MD of dealership was ecstatic as it was almost like a record to have sold a 30+ lakh car so quickly, although he did thank that he didnt actually 'sell' the car to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm83 (Post 4272128)
There has been a silent update on the car. The latest ones have a full touchscreen for the infotainment console. The eight physical buttons (Radio, Media, Menu etc) are gone, replaced by touchscreen versions of the same. The two knobs remain.

Do we have more information on this? Are new deliveries (if they are happening at all!) getting the 'new', all touchscreen HU, Or is it something we can expect in MY'18 models? Any other updates to speak of?

Also, is there any member who has gone for a subwoofer install? Team BHP review notes that ICE lacks in the bass department - is it possible to add a single-channel amp+subwoofer without worrying about voided warranty?

A bit off topic but is there any thread or a video which has a detailed comparison between the India spec Tuscon and the Tiguan. I tried you tube but all the comparisons are from international specs. Reason i am looking for it is because i am going to buy a new SUV under the 30L bracket in a month or so, and primarily these are top two contenders. So any help in this regard would be really appreciated. Mods please remove the comment if its not appropriate for this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajamuneeb (Post 4297073)
A bit off topic but is there any thread or a video which has a detailed comparison between the India spec Tuscon and the Tiguan. .

Here you go:
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-com...parison-405566

I am also in the market for 30 lakhs SUV (ex-show room) and I have come to the conclusion that Tuscon AWD is better compared to Tiguan. The other contender I am seriously considering is Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acelerar (Post 4297086)
Here you go:
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-com...parison-405566

I am also in the market for 30 lakhs SUV (ex-show room) and I have come to the conclusion that Tuscon AWD is better compared to Tiguan. The other contender I am seriously considering is Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium.

Thanks Acelerar. I am not considering the Endy or the Fortuner because they too big for my daily needs. I am more inclined as of now towards compact SUV segment. Thanks for sharing the link. Do keep updating on your final choice. Happy hunting :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajamuneeb (Post 4297073)
A bit off topic but is there any thread or a video which has a detailed comparison between the India spec Tuscon and the Tiguan. I tried you tube but all the comparisons are from international specs. Reason i am looking for it is because i am going to buy a new SUV under the 30L bracket in a month or so, and primarily these are top two contenders. So any help in this regard would be really appreciated. Mods please remove the comment if its not appropriate for this thread.

I have seen the Tucson in person many times and also driven it in the US (Petrol version). It is spacious and drives well. From the outside, it looks like a slightly larger Creta. You will like the car but I don't think it is as special as the Tiguan. Although slightly more expensive, Tiguan has been designed thoroughly and painstakingly, and will look good and feel good for a long time to come.

Whoa!!

Quote:

The folks at VW India have told us that the Tiguan SUV has been sold out for the year 2017 and this means from the time it was launched in May this year to now, there are more than 800 units that have/will hit Indian roads. This also means that if you book a Tiguan now, you will only get delivery of the car in 2018.
Source: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/volkswage...r-2017-1772461

If above is to be believed, then VW's own sales target for the car was way to low! (or is it normal for crossovers north of 30L to set ~125 units per month as sales target, that too in 6 months following launch when the enthusiasm for the product is highest?!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by actinium15 (Post 4279197)
This sounds like baloney to me, but the way dealers in Delhi and Noida have been behaving I'm now wondering if this actually is true... Any ideas?

So looks like the dealership was right after all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by actinium15 (Post 4301528)
Whoa!!

Source: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/volkswage...r-2017-1772461

If above is to be believed, then VW's own sales target for the car was way to low! (or is it normal for crossovers north of 30L to set ~125 units per month as sales target, that too in 6 months following launch when the enthusiasm for the product is highest?!)

Now this is interesting. I understand it is CKD and they can't increase the production volume on the fly.

Did they underestimate the Indian market or were they overcautious! 2nd Gen Tiguan is relatively new product, so they were definitely not selling off the leftovers in India. One of the reason I picked up Tiguan.

Or are they giving some room for Kodiaq? Having read about the attitude VW has towards Skoda, hard to think it is true.

There is no mention about the bookings in the article. It just says if you book one now your delivery will be in 2018. But is anyone booking at all.

This is a great car I had the change to rent it in USA, they also had the Compass but I had chosen this instead.

The only sad part is while in America the Volkswagen Tiguan is around the same price as the Compass here its almost double :( "Stupid CKD".

But it still is a great car and a comfortable one for sure