Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 15:32   #991
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Have been getting a flashing glow plug warning light on the MID a few times. It goes away on restarting, but wanted to check with other members if they have faced anything similar and what the diagnosis was.

Ours is a 2018 High line done 37.5Kkms so far.

Thank You
Old 6th April 2023, 01:40   #992
BHPian

As soon as my 4 year warranty expired last december, I was lucky enough to have a few niggles in my Tiguan. First being the start stop button operating issue, and the second was the fuel lid actuator.
Both replaced now, the start stop button costs 4400/- and the fuel lid actuator will cost you around 1700/-

Should the fuel lid actuator fail while the lid closed, will take more labor time to open the assembly. In my case thankfully the lid was not getting closed.

Now the start stop button had to be pressed multiple times for it to go on ign or start, the replacement button is now sensitive as it was as new. The fear I had was that, had the button stopped working, there is no other way to manually override the engine start.

Other updates include dunlop tyres 235/55/18 replaced the outgoing hankooks at around 36000km, at 12500/- each. Hankooks beacame harder and showed deep cracks on the sidewall. Beyond 110km/hr the hankooks made a humming noise as to make me think if the bearings had an issue or else alignment of wheels was incorrect. This was risky as on highways speeds the tires might have failed.

Battery however lasted long 4 years only to give delayed start attempts. The original unit was an Exide, manufactured in Poland. Changed it.

Nearing the 4th servicing, and the main ingredient this time is the transmission oil change. Differential oil change done last service.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img_c145bf22179d1.jpeg  

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img_7362.jpeg  

amayjoshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 15:04   #993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayjoshi View Post
As soon as my 4 year warranty expired last december, I was lucky enough to have a few niggles in my Tiguan. First being the start stop button operating issue, and the second was the fuel lid actuator.
Both replaced now, the start stop button costs 4400/- and the fuel lid actuator will cost you around 1700/-

Other updates include dunlop tyres 235/55/18 replaced the outgoing hankooks at around 36000km, at 12500/- each. Hankooks beacame harder and showed deep cracks on the sidewall. Beyond 110km/hr the hankooks made a humming noise as to make me think if the bearings had an issue or else alignment of wheels was incorrect. This was risky as on highways speeds the tires might have failed.

Battery however lasted long 4 years only to give delayed start attempts. The original unit was an Exide, manufactured in Poland. Changed it.
In our 4.5 years of owning the Tiguan, we've also had the start stop button issue which was replaced under warranty.
Other under warranty claim being only for the brake pad which had mysteriously cracked at 6Kkm (it had cracked earlier but they weren't able to diagnose the issue until later).
Now I need to figure this glow plug error light that flashes and goes away on restarting before it gives any issues.

Congratulations on getting the battery to last a cool 4 years!

Quick query on the tyre change : which dunlops did you go for, and how has the experience been?
Our hankooks are also due for replacement, and I have been hearing a weird humming noise + the steering feels a little off around the center.
Did you have similar symptoms?
The VW guys did their best to convince me that it is normal, I told them I will be back before my warranty expires since I suspect it to be the tyres too - a tyre change in next couple of months will confirm the same.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 18:44   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
In our 4.5 years of owning the Tiguan, we've also had the start stop button issue which was replaced under warranty.
Other under warranty claim being only for the brake pad which had mysteriously cracked at 6Kkm (it had cracked earlier but they weren't able to diagnose the issue until later).
Now I need to figure this glow plug error light that flashes and goes away on restarting before it gives any issues.

Congratulations on getting the battery to last a cool 4 years!

Quick query on the tyre change : which dunlops did you go for, and how has the experience been?
Our hankooks are also due for replacement, and I have been hearing a weird humming noise + the steering feels a little off around the center.
Did you have similar symptoms?
The VW guys did their best to convince me that it is normal, I told them I will be back before my warranty expires since I suspect it to be the tyres too - a tyre change in next couple of months will confirm the same.
I had experienced similar symptoms at higher speeds. Please check your tires, for cracks. Mine had deep cracks, as the rubber had become stiff and hard. My 2 tires were out of line hence they were making humming noises. If you experience similar symptoms, please show the tire condition to one of your trusted tire person.
Attaching a few images of my dunlops 235/55/18
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-photo20230211105415.jpeg  

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-photo20230211112955.jpeg  

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-photo20230211113004.jpeg  

amayjoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 23:06   #995
BHPian

Loving this genuine accessory. The dynamic hub caps.
Bought them back in ‘20
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-20201123_132645.jpeg  

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-20201017_230856_original.jpeg  

Attached Images

amayjoshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 23:52   #996
BHPian

Did my 4th service at 40k (odo) km (60k/4yrs)
Haldex oil change was done a service before this.
So did the dsg transmission oil change(12k for 7 litres),
without replacing its filter(5800/-) as inspected and decided by the technician,
Usual oil and filter replacement,
Ac tensioner belt replacement,
Ac activated carbon filter replacement,
Diesel filter replacement,
were some of the highlights of this service.
Brake discs and pads are nearing its life as a few score marks were evident.
Other Owners’ thoughts over this who have passed 4th service
amayjoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 12:47   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, i've also faced this mysterious glow plug error once. It happened out of nowhere and after switching off and on the ignition, it went away.

Do share if you find the solution to this.

Regards.

Quote:
Did my 4th service at 40k (odo) km (60k/4yrs)
Haldex oil change was done a service before this.
Brake discs and pads are nearing its life as a few score marks were evident.
Other Owners’ thoughts over this who have passed 4th service
Did my 3rd service at 26k kms recently. Skipped the Haldex oil change as the running was quite low and the SA was also of the same opinion. Will get it done during the next service along with the rest of the scheduled jobs.

The rear pads don't have wear sensors so do inspect the pad thickness, my car had a bit of uneven pad wear. The LHS was almost gone whilst the RHS had a few mm left. Have already replaced the rear brake pads once and went with aftermarket ones. I wouldn't be buying the brake pads or rotors at VW given their price and the performance offered.

Last edited by duker2997 : 1st May 2023 at 13:00.
duker2997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 19:22   #998
d.j
BHPian

Hi guys, our car won't open with the FOB key, tried with both, the spare key as well, it won’t open. Manually using the key car opens and sticking it at the given point it would start as well, any ideas about it? till the time we reach the service center, thanks!
Old 1st May 2023, 20:30   #999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j View Post
Hi guys, our car won't open with the FOB key, tried with both, the spare key as well, it won’t open. Manually using the key car opens and sticking it at the given point it would start as well, any ideas about it? till the time we reach the service center, thanks!
Not a Tiguan owner but try replacing both cell batteries immediately. Looks like a simple case of them dying off.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 22:23   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j View Post
Faced the same problem a few months ago with one of the fobs, replacing the battery did the trick.
troika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 23:25   #1001

Quote:
This used to happen in our 2019 Passat too; It started happening after we filled up the tank with diesel from a Nayara fuel pump in Kerala.

Upon further inquiry about it at the service centre, the technician adviced my dad against using fuel from Nayara, because "the fuel vapor gets into the engine and it misfires, causing the glow plug symbol"

I am not convinced with the reasoning, but after the fuel from Nayara was completely burnt, the symbol didn't flash up again.

Do note that in my case the glow plug symbol flashed only during harder than usual acceleration (while overtaking) followed by a loss of power, sort of like a limp mode. Whenever this has occurred, the fuel levels were at 30% max.
elampumpkin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 12:39   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had experienced similar symptoms at higher speeds. Please check your tires, for cracks. Mine had deep cracks, as the rubber had become stiff and hard.
Thank you for your inputs.
Swapped the tyres with Conti Sport Contact 5 SUV and issue seems to be resolved, though I will probably try and do another drive to confirm the same entirely.
The new Conti's are grippy - can feel a big difference in grip and braking though not as much in ride quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elampumpkin View Post
This used to happen in our 2019 Passat too; It started happening after we filled up the tank with diesel from a Nayara fuel pump in Kerala.

Upon further inquiry about it at the service centre, the technician adviced my dad against using fuel from Nayara, because "the fuel vapor gets into the engine and it misfires, causing the glow plug symbol"

I am not convinced with the reasoning, but after the fuel from Nayara was completely burnt, the symbol didn't flash up again.

Do note that in my case the glow plug symbol flashed only during harder than usual acceleration (while overtaking) followed by a loss of power, sort of like a limp mode. Whenever this has occurred, the fuel levels were at 30% max.
Interesting! Mine has been showing up from close to start without hard acceleration. Fuel pump has been the same that we use for all our other vehicles - including a few ex - 2.0TDi cars.
Plan to get this shown in August during the next scheduled service.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 13:09   #1003
BHPian

Hello,
quick question:
My 2018 Tiguan comfortline diesel is out of warranty. Done 38000 km in 5 years.
Have changed DSG and final drive oils in addition to regular service and minor dent repairs.
Had multiple ABS sensor replacements, both in and out of warranty.
How relevant is taking an extended warranty for 65k ?
Has anybody had major system failures (engine, DSG, drive train)?
Old 15th June 2023, 11:19   #1004
BHPian

My 2018 HL Tiguan just completed 27000 KM. I have opted for the extended warranty for the 5th Year and extended it for the 6th year from today. It is not cheap paid (40K and 62K respectively). Like your vehicle, I have changed the transmission oil and final drive oils during 3rd and 4th year of service in spite of the low running.

I have not come across any major system failures for the Tiguan so far in the forum. I am planning to buy extended warranties as long as it is available for peace of mind though sometimes I feel it is a waste of money.
AjiGTI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 22:44   #1005
BHPian

Does anyone have any leads on stock tires for the Comfortline? Checked with 3 dealers in Bangalore (Madhus included) and there's no inventory even for order.
One of my tires tore yesterday and need a tire (or set) urgently.

Most Viewed