Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2018, 14:53   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

I went to the showroom to book the Tiguan for my dad, but was disappointed. After a great test drive, I felt the car is an able highway cruiser. Just what my dad needs as he never drives and the car will be 100% driven by my driver, but for some night drives by me. That brings me to the disappointing part, I asked the SA if there's any recall in India for the ambient lighting in the sunroof shade causing a short circuit, he said that the issue is noted by VW India, and until further notice, all cars are equipped with the LED light strips in the sunroof shade, but are deactivated from the factory. I was surprised as either a recall should fix this issue if its software based, or the LED assembly itself should be removed from the car. Weirdly enough the SA did not have any further clarification when this issue will be fixed, and even more weird is the presence of the brightness adjuster int he HU for the roof lighting as well. Thats something that pissed me off beyond a point where I just left the whole deal on the table and asked them to get back to me with an official statement from VW India, until then there's no booking happening from my side. Anyone who has recently got the Highline, facing the same issue of deactivated ambient lighting for the sunroof? When I checked with some service staff at the dealership, they said they are actively deactivating the ambient lighting for cars sold prior to this issue as and when cars come in for service as well.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 11:07   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

VW launches a 227 bhp Tiguan for the EU! Highly unlikely for conservative VW to bring it to India though.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volksw...-petrol-engine

VW now offers the Tiguan with a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine with 227bhp and 350Nm of torque, borrowed from the current Golf GTI. It feeds its power to all four wheels through a seven-speed DSG, giving the Tiguan a 0-62mph time of 6.3 seconds and a top speed of 142mph.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:26   #198
BHPian

VW will not get any petrol SUV (wish they bring GTi trims of Polo or better the Golf), we are a diesel heavy SUV market today and their current TDI being sub 2L can still sell in NCR. They might still think of the 1.4TSI rather than the 2.0 TSi (they took it out of the Audi range too).

They will not even bring the 2.0 TDI in higher state of tune the 180 BHP / 400 Nm to avoid cannibalizing the Q3.

OT: can we swap the Tiguan ECU with that of the Q3's and get the higher output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
VW launches a 227 bhp Tiguan for the EU! Highly unlikely for conservative VW to bring it to India though.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volksw...-petrol-engine

VW now offers the Tiguan with a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine with 227bhp and 350Nm of torque, borrowed from the current Golf GTI. It feeds its power to all four wheels through a seven-speed DSG, giving the Tiguan a 0-62mph time of 6.3 seconds and a top speed of 142mph.
Old 20th January 2019, 08:14   #199
BHPian

Can some one post photos of the comfortline variant exteriors and interiors. I am seriously considering the tiguan comfortline, though it is just outside my budget. I am getting a deal of 34L OTR for the comforline. Even VW dealer has no clue on the differences between the comfortline and the highline variants
Old 22nd January 2019, 04:41   #200
BHPian

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Can some one post photos of the comfortline variant exteriors and interiors.

I own a Comfortline variant and it ticks all the right boxes with respect to features and specs that I need.

The key differences are as follows

Tyre size - 18 inch 235 cross section vs 17 inch 215 cross section
Auto boot opening - you can open the boot by waving your foot below rear bumper
Panoramic sunroof
Grey accents in dashboard and door instead of silver ones in Comfortline
Interior ambient lighting
Keyless entry
Reverse parking camera ( should have been offered on Comfortline variant)
Chrome strips in rear number and front air dam

Hope the above information is helpful. I am not able to post pictures here.

Last edited by shaktisarangi : 22nd January 2019 at 04:43.
shaktisarangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 06:46   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Can some one post photos of the comfortline variant exteriors and interiors. I am seriously considering the tiguan comfortline, though it is just outside my budget. I am getting a deal of 34L OTR for the comforline. Even VW dealer has no clue on the differences between the comfortline and the highline variants
This is hardly a great deal, mate. My friend in Chennai got the Tiguan highline for 33 lakhs on-road last month. You might want to negotiate harder.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 23:09   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
This is hardly a great deal, mate. My friend in Chennai got the Tiguan highline for 33 lakhs on-road last month. You might want to negotiate harder.
What are the discounts being offered right now ? The final OTR in Kolkata is 35L here in Kolkata.
Old 13th March 2019, 08:26   #203
BANNED

VW Tiguan SUV available on a good discount of up to Rs. 3 lakh in Delhi-NCR on current year manufactured stock. Tiguan is the flagship model of VW in India and the SUV is facing stiff competition from rivals. On some Delhi-NCR dealership, current year stock of Tiguan is available with a good discount of up to Rs. 3 lakh, which makes it more attractive. The Tiguan is currently available in two variants – Comfortline and Highline.

Source
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 19:44   #204
BHPian

A great car overall, but there are 3 factors that kill it:

- Price, price, price. I will explain it in detail:
A typical SUV buyer with 3 million in his deep pockets can choose from the following:
1. He can choose from the Compass-Tucson segment and save big bucks
2. He can choose from the Fortuner-Endeavour segment for the same money
3. He can choose from the Q3-X1 segment according to how much his budget can be stretched.
The problems?
1. The Tucson suddenly seems VFM when you see the Tiguan’s pricing. The Compass’s pricing will just leave you in splits. It also now offers that delicious panoramic sunroof which was a USP of the Tiguan.
2.Most of the customers put their money on the Fortuner (about 75%). 15% shell out the dough for the Endeavour and the other contenders are left with the crumbs (10%).
3. The biggest killer of the Tiguan is its own Kodiaq itself! In India, Skoda is seen as premium while VW has the more basic offerings. The Kodiaq is also a damn good product at just a small stretch from the Tiguan. The Q3 is also snatching some share from the Tiguan. Then suddenly even the Kodiaq seems very VFM as it offers you 2 extra seats and a host of features for a little more money! Completely wrong positioning by VW.
And whatever is leftover from all this competition (maybe 40-50 units?), the Tiguan has to make do with that.

-Engine. Maybe, this is not very important in the Indian context (as most owners would be satisfied with the power figures. The rest of them are Team-BHP members ) But when the Compass can offer 170 bhp and the Tucson 185 bhp, why did they use the 141 bhp state of tune (other than saving costs)?Maybe they wanted to play the fuel efficiency card? But the 30-lakh customer is not very tensed about “kitna deti hai”, or else we wouldn’t see the 3.2 Endeavour in such demand.

-Lack of identity. I feel this is the biggest killer of them all. In a segment where the buyers want maximum real estate per paisa, the Tiguan feels very diminutive. It is easily lost in the sea of cars. It does not have a unique identity as it looks like any other car (save for the LED headlights) Some people have commented that it even looks like the Polo. There is simply no comparing its street cred to that of the other segment players. That is its biggest problem. Even a Q3 has more presence!

(Spoiler alert: Detailed thread coming up on this matter! Stay tuned!)
balderash_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 23:04   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderash_12 View Post
A great car overall, but there are 3 factors that kill it:

(Spoiler alert: Detailed thread coming up on this matter! Stay tuned!)
Great topic. I really fell for the Tiguan when it was launched and price was the major factor I did not go for it. It made me consider stepping up to the German luxury league and that is what I did eventually.

I feel the reason it is not so popular is that the tastes of the Indian SUV buyers are evolving, but from a starting point which is akin to what prevailed in the US market in the 90s. The most popular SUVs 20 years ago in the US where "mid-size" (in US terms, equivalent to the Indian "Full-size" SUVs like the Fortuner and the Endeavour). It was a race on the basis of size and power and body-on-frame trucks with massive V6 and V8 engines dominated the scene. The vehicles were badly designed in terms of passenger comfort, safety and fuel efficiency. Today, most of the iconic brands including the iconic Ford Explorer have switched over to monocoque platforms, most of them use smaller 4 cylinder turbo-petrol or turbo-diesel engines and are competing on design, passenger comfort, on-board electronics and "just enough" 4WD capabilities that do not add massive weight and complexity.

What we have to remember is that Tiguan is a new age SUV that is a bog hit in the US and other developed markets arriving into the Indian market that is virtually still 20 years behind in consumer tastes and preferences and what they consider a "good SUV". Value is determined by size and road presence rather than some of the standards that the Tiguan is designed to meet globally. The Tiguan meets these standards so well, whoch is the reason gor his huge success globally. These standards are around simplicity and elegance in design and aesthetics, superb in-cabin ergonomics, best-in-class practicality for day-to-day for busy urban family use, driving comfort and effortless cruising for long journeys, excellent fuel efficiency, built to last, overcome wear and tear and look good long term, and an effective 4WD system that can tackle the most common situations like snow, mud, simple off-road trails etc. without adding a ton of weight etc.

Unfortunately, the Indian customer base is still evolving to appreciate these qualities in their SUV. But, Tiguan's time will come soon, as the audience needs evolve, but probably not till the next generation Tiguan arrives.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 06:25   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

I feel the reason it is not so popular is that the tastes of the Indian SUV buyers are evolving, but from a starting point which is akin to what prevailed in the US market in the 90s. The most popular SUVs 20 years ago in the US where "mid-size" (in US terms, equivalent to the Indian "Full-size" SUVs like the Fortuner and the Endeavour). It was a race on the basis of size and power and body-on-frame trucks with massive V6 and V8 engines dominated the scene. The vehicles were badly designed in terms of passenger comfort, safety and fuel efficiency. Today, most of the iconic brands including the iconic Ford Explorer have switched over to monocoque platforms, most of them use smaller 4 cylinder turbo-petrol or turbo-diesel engines and are competing on design, passenger comfort, on-board electronics and "just enough" 4WD capabilities that do not add massive weight and complexity.

What we have to remember is that Tiguan is a new age SUV that is a bog hit in the US and other developed markets arriving into the Indian market that is virtually still 20 years behind in consumer tastes and preferences and what they consider a "good SUV". Value is determined by size and road presence rather than some of the standards that the Tiguan is designed to meet globally. The Tiguan meets these standards so well, whoch is the reason gor his huge success globally. These standards are around simplicity and elegance in design and aesthetics, superb in-cabin ergonomics, best-in-class practicality for day-to-day for busy urban family use, driving comfort and effortless cruising for long journeys, excellent fuel efficiency, built to last, overcome wear and tear and look good long term, and an effective 4WD system that can tackle the most common situations like snow, mud, simple off-road trails etc. without adding a ton of weight etc.

Unfortunately, the Indian customer base is still evolving to appreciate these qualities in their SUV. But, Tiguan's time will come soon, as the audience needs evolve, but probably not till the next generation Tiguan arrives.
Absolutely spot on! We are evolving rather late, compared to the world. The reason I feel is (pardon me, just my opinions) is that we were never introduced to the latest models of the world early on. There were (and are) double standards for Indian cars and world cars. Delete safety kit and some equipment for India and then you are good to go!
The customer demands are definitely changing. Take the Fortuner itself as an example. It stormed the segment by giving customers in India what they want: maximum real estate for the money with sheer road presence, combined with the legendary values of Quality, Durability and Reliability. It had no real competition as the Endeavour and Pajero were outdated. The others were monocoques. But the latest Fortuner has also not escaped the knife as it is loaded with creature comforts, sharp design. But it has diluted some of the core values of a simple body-on-frame.
The Tiguan is not VFM when we see that our money does not buy us the maximum real estate! But what we do not see is that is has simplicity and elegance in design and aesthetics, superb in-cabin ergonomics, best-in-class practicality for day-to-day for busy urban family use, driving comfort and effortless cruising for long journeys, excellent fuel efficiency, built to last, overcome wear and tear and look good long term, and an effective 4WD system that can tackle the most common situations like snow, mud, simple off-road trails etc. without adding a ton of weight etc. When we do get a good international spec vehicle, we reject it When we realise that the manufacturers are double-playing us, we will look at such examples of cars and be proud.
balderash_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 13:11   #207
BHPian

It is a fantastic car. Challenges are that BMW x1 with the discounts is around 36 on road in Gurgaon. Q3 will be lower still. And this is no match for either of those on most parameters.

Quality of faux leather upholstery is surprisingly rough. Lacks quality and premiun feel. Why has vw done this to their flagship is beyond comprehension.
Old 16th March 2019, 16:24   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
It is a fantastic car. Challenges are that BMW x1 with the discounts is around 36 on road in Gurgaon. Q3 will be lower still. And this is no match for either of those on most parameters.

Quality of faux leather upholstery is surprisingly rough. Lacks quality and premiun feel. Why has vw done this to their flagship is beyond comprehension.

I beg to differ on the quality aspect. I think the cabin build quality is excellent and it is built in a manner that will be easy to maintain and will last really long. The Q3 is severely cramped, has very few features, unless you go for top end which is north of 50 lacs. The X1 is a compelling choice as a driver's car but when you take all aspects into the picture the Tiguan is a better all rounder.
shaktisarangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 22:54   #209
BHPian

Great views especially from current owners esp Shaktisarangi, of Tiguan, which makes prospects like me to think around and around and come back to this thread.

I am looking for a 5 seater SUV and deeply confused between Tiguan vs upcoming 2019 facelift Tucson. If not VW tough stories of service, any day this is my favourite pick.

I request all owners to keep their ownership experiences here as there are none dedicated ownership threads for Tiguan!

Thanks again!
Old 18th March 2019, 11:14   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
VW Tiguan SUV available on a good discount of up to Rs. 3 lakh in Delhi-NCR on current year manufactured stock. Tiguan is the flagship model of VW in India and the SUV is facing stiff competition from rivals. On some Delhi-NCR dealership, current year stock of Tiguan is available with a good discount of up to Rs. 3 lakh, which makes it more attractive.
Source
On the VW India website, the official discounts don't seem to be updated. It still shows ex-showroom cost of INR 28+ lakhs, when I last checked over the weekend.

So, the discounts quoted for the Delhi-NCR dealership seem to be localized for a particular stock?

Most Viewed