Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2019, 15:20   #286
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0405 View Post
Hi, I think you should go for 235/60/R17. You are right, 215/65/R17 isn't available in India and you need to check around a lot for it. Even then am not sure if you will find it. I don't think you should have any issue with the extended Warranty

236/60/R17 is closest in circumference to the OEM size. Many people on international forums have fitted a variety of sizes.
But will VW India continue to honour the extended warranty if I change the size?
Thats the big question.
Old 16th September 2019, 09:51   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjiGTI View Post
My 15 months old Tiguan Highline did not start when cranked and most of the electrical functions (central locking, mirrors, lights etc. ) stopped functioning. I have called the Road Side Assistance. The guy came with a jumper pack and started the car and I drove it to the service centre without any further problems. But after switching off at the service centre it did not start again and I left the car at the service centre for further diagnosis. It turned out to be a battery issue and they have replaced the battery under warranty. The only downside was that I could not use the car for a weekend and the good part is that they have washed the car before returning
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
236/60/R17 is closest in circumference to the OEM size. Many people on international forums have fitted a variety of sizes.
But will VW India continue to honour the extended warranty if I change the size?
Thats the big question.
I seriously don't think you should have any issue with extended warranty for changing to 235/60/R17 tyres. Also, are any suspension issues covered in warranty?
Old 16th September 2019, 12:32   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavit46 View Post
I have faced a similar problem but unfortunately 215/65 R17 is not a regular size in India. I have taken the wheel from VW dealer but got it covered under insurance so have to shell out approx. Rs. 6000 which depends on the depth of the tread, instead of Rs 27000. Check if your insurance has tyre damage covered.
Can you please let us know which insurance do you have and what is the add on coverage that you opted for to cover the tire damage.
Old 18th September 2019, 15:53   #289
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

After going through many forums and threads I felt there is a paucity of information on VW Tiguan. It is understandable though as the car in itself sells very less in India even though it is the sixth most selling car globally.

To set the stage, I am one of the few Indians who took the plunge and bought the Tiguan. To say the least, I am extremely impressed by the car and what it has to offer. I did check the car out when it was launched in India during mid 2017. It didn't impress me then as the information that was floating around at that moment was that it was pricey (which it is) and it has a ground clearance of 149 mm. I had a Skoda Rapid back then and that had a ground clearance of 167 mm. I was just amazed at the fact that how can an SUV have such low ground clearance and still survive on Indian roads. Unfortunately the Sales Adviser in the dealership I visited in Bangalore did not have any clue and he was adamant that it was 149 mm and the Vento which was parked next to it had 165 mm.

In the meantime I was impressed by Jeep Compass for it's looks and heard good things about the car from the people who bought it plus had some good reviews in the forums. Somehow, I was not convinced with almost white interiors it had and was 100% sure that maintaining it would be a herculean task. Moreover, the Jeep was not as spacious nor as luxurious as the Tiguan. It was priced almost right though. I am not fascinated by the idea of driving the butch SUVs like the Fortuner or the Endeavor or any other seven seater as most of them had the seven seats for the sake of having it and it felt too big to take around in Bangalore city with non existent parking and the famous traffic. I did check the Kodiaq too. Felt it was more towards the luxury side than being sportier.

Tiguan, Tuscon and to some extent Compass fit the bill in terms of size and then I had the option of the badge cars (Q3, X1 and GLA). Of the badge ones, I liked the X1. During Oct-Nov of 2018 I decided to narrow down my choices and decided that Tuscon, Compass, Q3 and GLA had to drop out from my list. Tuscon did not feel much different in the inside from a Creta and felt that it didn't justify the price, Compass did not have the automatic in Diesel and the white interiors was a turn off, Q3 and GLA did not offer anything more than X1 would do. So the shortlist was Tiguan and X1.

In the meantime I had figured out Tiguan had close to 190 mm Ground Clearance and it is unlikely to scrape the underbelly anywhere unless you take it to the rocks. Took the test drive of X1, was impressed with the drive and luxury. Somehow didn't feel that I was sitting in a SUV as it was more car like to sit. Test drove the Tiguan and felt it was close to X1 in terms of the driving pleasure, maybe around 90% and was more spacious, more frugal, more SUV like and easier on the pocket with all the year end offers and the exchange offer for my Rapid included, it just turned out to be a very sweet deal.

The car on the whole is excellent. I have taken it to almost everywhere including some mild off roading. It drives like a car on the high ways and ghats. Due to the enhanced ground clearance I have no issues on bad roads or non existent roads. I honestly didn't feel that I need more power. Yes, there is an inherent DSG lag which, if you can ignore, then there is no reason to complain about the 141 BHP power figure. I have tried 0-100 tests and the fastest I could do is around 8.7 secs and the slowest was around 10.7 seconds. The fastest being on a mild incline downwards and the slowest being on a mild incline upwards. On a flat surface, I could do 0-100 at around 9.8 seconds. The highest fuel efficiency I got was 20 KMPL with my speed not crossing 110 KMPH anytime. In Bangalore city with peak hour driving I get around 11 KMPL consistently.

I have crossed 16 K KMs in about 10 months. Had my first paid service last month. The bill was around 18.5 K INR. Nothing too expensive if we consider that the service is done at 15 K KMs and Volkswagen changed all the filters including the fuel filter. One issue though was that my rear brake pads were almost worn out. I would say it had another 2 K KMs left. I decided to change it during service which cost another 5.8 K including service charge. I would say that it is a bit expensive. Thinking of sourcing and fixing the brake pads myself next time.

Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-tiguancl1.jpg  

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-tiguancl3.jpg  

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-tiguancl4.jpg  

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-tiguancl5.jpg  

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-tiguancl6.jpg  

raz0405 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 10:59   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

After going through many forums and threads I felt there is a paucity of information on VW Tiguan. It is understandable though as the car in itself sells very less in India even though it is the sixth most selling car globally. :
I remember reading your thread word for word at http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...sharing.35347/. Hope you are the author of that one.
Old 19th September 2019, 11:20   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
I remember reading your thread word for word at http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...sharing.35347/. Hope you are the author of that one.
Yes, I have a thread running there as well.
Old 19th September 2019, 15:48   #292
BHPian

I share the same passion and spirit for Tiguan as raz0405. I too had gone through the same list of cars before purchasing Tiguan. Final tussle was between Endeavor and Tiguan as I wanted the best AWD and Automatic combo.

Tiguan commands respect for how it drives and what it offers the most understated way. It doesn't scream I am butch or cute. It is just a perfectly built German car for practical use.

One thing I realized is, I haven't developed a deep emotional connect with Tiguan as I did with my beloved CEDIA.

29,000 Kms in 2 years and my Tiguan still drives fresh and solid. I kept my CEDIA for 10 years and I feel I will keep Tiguan also that long.
Old 19th September 2019, 16:41   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I share the same passion and spirit for Tiguan as raz0405. I too had gone through the same list of cars before purchasing Tiguan. Final tussle was between Endeavor and Tiguan as I wanted the best AWD and Automatic combo.

Tiguan commands respect for how it drives and what it offers the most understated way. It doesn't scream I am butch or cute. It is just a perfectly built German car for practical use.

One thing I realized is, I haven't developed a deep emotional connect with Tiguan as I did with my beloved CEDIA.

29,000 Kms in 2 years and my Tiguan still drives fresh and solid. I kept my CEDIA for 10 years and I feel I will keep Tiguan also that long.
I think the person who buys Tiguan has a very evolved taste in cars. He knows exactly where he is putting his money and what to expect from his steed.But according to me it is car which you buy with your mind and as a professional but cars like Endeavour,X1 ,Compass are bought with heart playing a major role.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 15:25   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post

Nice to know that you share the same passion for Tiguan. Wishing you many more miles with the Tiguan. I'm sure it won't disappoint you and you may even find the missing emotional connect soon
Old 20th September 2019, 15:32   #295
BHPian

Yes, you are right Sandeep500. Tiguan appeals to the mind more than it does to the heart. More so when you consider the practical aspects like the space in the city roads, the fuel price and the traffic situation. I kind of feel that fuel cost difference alone would be around 30% between an Endeavor and Tiguan. That alone will more than make up for the higher maintenance cost (if at all) between the two. A rough calculation of fuel cost difference suggests around 50 K difference between Tiguan and Endeavor for an year or about 20K KMs. I am sure that there won't be a 50 K increase in maintenance cost for the Tiguan.
raz0405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 16:27   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you are right Sandeep500. Tiguan appeals to the mind more than it does to the heart. More so when you consider the practical aspects like the space in the city roads, the fuel price and the traffic situation. I kind of feel that fuel cost difference alone would be around 30% between an Endeavor and Tiguan. That alone will more than make up for the higher maintenance cost (if at all) between the two. A rough calculation of fuel cost difference suggests around 50 K difference between Tiguan and Endeavor for an year or about 20K KMs. I am sure that there won't be a 50 K increase in maintenance cost for the Tiguan.
That saving in fuel costs are without compromising driving pleasure,premium quality in addition to easy driving in city and mature behavior of suv on the highways
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 20:10   #297

I have booked a Tiguan Highline. Just need to be clear about the issues mentioned here and other fora.

1. Sunroof is supposed to have ambient lighting. Does it work? Heard it was deactivated because it could be a fire hazard.

2. Some people have had sunroof leaks and moisture getting in the cabin, leading to mould in some cases. If you own one, have you faced issues with this?

3. In the infotainment system, does the voice command system work? Dealer says it requires a key and that's extra cost. Internet says it can be jailbroken via OBD and an smartphone app.

4. Has proximity sensors on all sides. Is it useful or a distraction considering our traffic conditions.

5: I read conflicting things about the ground clearance. Is it 190 or 200, unladen? Has it affected your driving? Do you have to be sedan-level careful or you can drive with SUV-level confidence? I am coming from a Koleos that has great clearance and can drive over Haryana speed-breakers without the fear of scraping the belly.

Last edited by ajmat : 20th September 2019 at 20:18.
kamakaze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 20:39   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaze View Post
I have booked a Tiguan Highline. Just need to be clear about the issues mentioned here and other fora.

1. Sunroof is supposed to have ambient lighting. Does it work? Heard it was deactivated because it could be a fire hazard.

2. Some people have had sunroof leaks and moisture getting in the cabin, leading to mould in some cases. If you own one, have you faced issues with this?

3. In the infotainment system, does the voice command system work? Dealer says it requires a key and that's extra cost. Internet says it can be jailbroken via OBD and an smartphone app.

4. Has proximity sensors on all sides. Is it useful or a distraction considering our traffic conditions.

5: I read conflicting things about the ground clearance. Is it 190 or 200, unladen? Has it affected your driving? Do you have to be sedan-level careful or you can drive with SUV-level confidence? I am coming from a Koleos that has great clearance and can drive over Haryana speed-breakers without the fear of scraping the belly.
I own a comfortline, so can't answer 1 & 2. I haven't tried voice command on infotainment, I use apple car play and very rarely find the need to use the infotainment system for other needs. However, yes it can be jailbroken by OBD. On the proximity sensors, it does act as an irritant in chock o block traffic. Somehow, I have got used to it. It is useful when parking in tight situations though. However, you can turn it off and honestly the all round view is quite good enough for you to judge the space around. The GC is adequate. I think it is around 190 unladen. However, when you look other cars claiming it is above 200, then I do feel Tiguan is also around the 200 mark. I have driven around 16K + KMs and I have not scraped the underbelly anywhere. Did take it to most places where I never used to take my Sedans. The only issue I have is the approach angle is a bit low for SUV standards and you can scrape the mud flap or the deflector sometimes on deep potholes.
raz0405 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 21:52   #299
BHPian

Unfortunately I am in a situation where I might end up selling the 1 year old Tucson which I bought 20 days ago. My city is full of potholes, infact my city is potholes. The ride quality of the Tiguan is hard and its hurting my lower back. I have a L4-L5-S1 disc bulge and my highline with its 235/55 R18 and hard suspension is making it worse.

I just love everything about the car, but I cant continue to drive it this way, it really hurts my lower back.

Important thing to note, it doenst hurt me when I drive for say 30-40 minutes it starts after that. Even if I drive it for 30 mins and come back home sit in my office chair it starts paining. Now you might say its the office chair and not the car, but I have had this chair for years and never had an issue when I drove my sedan. This thing started when I bought the Tiguan.

Things I've tried so far
-fego air cushion (works perfect in my sedan)
-gell mesh cushion
-lumbar support of the car is already set to high
-30/32 psi air pressure
-seating lower
-seating higher
-90 degree seat (makes it worse)
-100 to 120 degrees doenst work (works perfect in my sedan)

things to try
-ordered a foam sheet to increase the lumbar support without any alteration to the seat
-ordered memory foam cushion which might help (not sure)

Tyre/rim options

235/60 R17 gives tyre height of 141mm
235/65 R16 gives tyre height of 152.75mm

the current highline is 235/55 R18 has a tyre height of 129.25mm, the comfortline is 215/65 R17 which has a tyre height of 139.75mm

Wondering if it makes sense to do the tyre/rim change since the suspension is on the stiffer side or just sell it. I bought it used 20 days ago, its 1 year old, 14k kms run and as far as I know the owner transfer is still under process.

I TD the Tiguan extensively before buying, both showroom and the one which I bought, both felt good, no pain, nothing. So decided to buy it, wasnt expecting this. I am in pain, both physically and emotionally any suggestions will be of great help.

Last edited by sreejinair : 20th September 2019 at 21:56.
Old 20th September 2019, 22:10   #300
BHPian

Congratulations Kamakaze.

#1 - My sunroof ambient lighting is working perfectly alright. Not disabled.
#2 - 2+ years and never had any leaking issues from sunroof. I have done two monsoon trips and thoroughly enjoyed.

#3 - I got the same information from dealer. I am happy with Google voice assistant.

#4 - It is actually a very useful feature. You can adjust the beep volume and tone for front and rear separately. I feel confident to take Tiguan to narrow streets and ight spots where I don't dare to take my i10.

#5 - 190mm is what I know. I have driven Tiguan in almost all kind of terrains and weather except ice. Have done mild offroading as well. Yes, approach angle could have been better.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks