Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2020, 00:14   #676
MVM
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

I feel that VW should have kept both the long wheelbase and short wheelbase Tiguan. But sadly the Tiguan is sold only in the form of the Allspace with only 1 fully loaded variant costing 33 Lakh Rupees (ex-showroom), which would work out to around 40 Lakh Rupees on road.
That is BMW X1 money and since the 6th and 7th-row seats are not very comfortable, the people buying the Tiguan Allspace are buying them because : (a) They really like the previous generation Tiguan but could not buy it for some reason.
(b) They want a comfortable, premium SUV but do not want to deal with the maintenance costs of cars such as the BMW X1 or Mercedes GLA.
They mostly aren't buying the Tiguan Allspace for the added row of seats.
And also there are many cars which are priced lower than this but offer better offroad capability, on-road presence and a more comfortable 3rd row of seats like the Ford Endeavor.
MVM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 17:22   #677
BHPian

Did anybody get the voice command activated in the recent Tiguans?
I have received the activation code from the dealer but the car needs to be taken to them for activation. I plan to get this activated during the first service.

Wondering how useful it is. The existing owners would be in a better position to explain the utility of the voice command feature.

Secondly, did anyone receive the service booklet with the car?
There is none in my manual folder. The same is not mentioned also in the paper cover of the folder which mentions the contents of that folder. So it hasn't been taken out either.
Old 1st April 2020, 18:55   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
I have received the activation code from the dealer but the car needs to be taken to them for activation. I plan to get this activated during the first service.

Wondering how useful it is. The existing owners would be in a better position to explain the utility of the voice command feature.

There is none in my manual folder. The same is not mentioned also in the paper cover of the folder which mentions the contents of that folder. So it hasn't been taken out either.
I also did not get a service manual. I was told that they do not give it anymore. So there is no document that shows the scheduled services broken down by items.

How did you get the voice activation code? I just saw this option today .
Old 1st April 2020, 19:48   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
How did you get the voice activation code? I just saw this option today .
To my surprise, my dealer despatched the code to my address without me asking for it. In fact, i was also not aware of the requirement of code. Since my dealer is from a different town, i will have to wait a bit longer to have the feature activated.

It came in a casing that looks like a DVD case and contain a booklet with the code stamped.

PS: Omission of service schedule is absolutely illogical in my opinion. Now the customer is at the mercy of the ASS.

Would request the initial owners to upload the relevant pages from the service booklet if they received it back then.

Last edited by torque18 : 1st April 2020 at 19:53.
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:17   #680
BHPian

Quote:
To my surprise, my dealer despatched the code to my address without me asking for it. In fact, i was also not aware of the requirement of code. Since my dealer is from a different town, i will have to wait a bit longer to have the feature activated.

It came in a casing that looks like a DVD case and contain a booklet with the code stamped.

PS: Omission of service schedule is absolutely illogical in my opinion. Now the customer is at the mercy of the ASS.

Would request the initial owners to upload the relevant pages from the service booklet if they received it back then.
Ah lucky. I have not received anything yet. I will reach out to my dealer. The service schedule is a huge omission. I've been trying to figure out whether or not to take the service pack and I've got no way to calculate which is a better deal.

Yes please. If anyone can share there copy that would be great.
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:54   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
I've been trying to figure out whether or not to take the service pack and I've got no way to calculate which is a better deal.
The service pack that i was offered looked ridiculous to me. They have different price for CL and HL while the spares covered are common between them.

They cover the front brakes but not the rear ones. No DSG service also. It didn't make sense to me. Made an approx calculation of the yearly service which would not exceed 15k (engine oil, all 4 filters, lubricant spray, windshield washer).

Attaching the service offer that was sent to me. Do check if it's the same thing that you are being offered.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VW Hi5 5 Years Service Value Package.pdf (202.5 KB, 1902 views)
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 17:11   #682
BHPian

Quote:
The service pack that i was offered looked ridiculous to me. They have different price for CL and HL while the spares covered are common between them.

They cover the front brakes but not the rear ones. No DSG service also. It didn't make sense to me. Made an approx calculation of the yearly service which would not exceed 15k (engine oil, all 4 filters, lubricant spray, windshield washer).

Attaching the service offer that was sent to me. Do check if it's the same thing that you are being offered.
I got something similar and posted about it a month or so back. Brakes and pads are expensive. Pads are somewhere around 15k for all 4. And discs must be closer to 35k for all 4. And services are around 15k if you remove
wheel.balancing and alignment. Battery would be around 6k best case.

So what the service plan covers is around 1.35 lakh worth of parts (and assuming full service price of 20k, and two discs and pads). Which seems like a 15-20k savings. But if we do the actuals at rs.15k per service it would be around 1.1 or so for the same coverage. Not to mention the opportunity cost on the 1.1lakh or so for the service pack. Doesn't make much sense. I've excluded the DSG service which I've heard is expensive (10k ish) since its not covered in the plan.
showboat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 21:48   #683
BHPian

I would have definitely taken . I'm not eligible as my first service is done . This is applicable for only those who have not completed the first service . The regular service is anywhere between 18-20 k excluding wheel alignment , balance, lubricant spray etc . This is higher for 60k service . Battery costs 8k plus . Brakes and pads are expensive . If I remember correctly I calculated it to be 1.5L + in total . So was definitely worth but unfortunately I'm not eligible.
Ak007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 19:19   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak007 View Post
I would have definitely taken . I'm not eligible as my first service is done . This is applicable for only those who have not completed the first service . The regular service is anywhere between 18-20 k excluding wheel alignment , balance, lubricant spray etc . This is higher for 60k service . Battery costs 8k plus . Brakes and pads are expensive . If I remember correctly I calculated it to be 1.5L + in total . So was definitely worth but unfortunately I'm not eligible.
@AK007 So the services are 18-20k without non-essential (sorry covid times) items? Dang. Was told it was less. What is the major cost of the service?
I know the 60k service is more expensive because it includes transmission oil. Which is not included in the service pack.

Have any existing owners changed their discs yet or their transmission oil? Those seem to be the biggest two costs. Would it be possible to share your actuals if you have?
Old 5th April 2020, 21:32   #685
BHPian

My first service was 18.5 k for basic service without wheel alignment and balancing , disinfectant etc . Will share the actuals once the lock down is over . Only additional was I changed the AC filter to carbon filter which is slightly costlier than the normal one . Was suggested by the SM . I checked the cost of the discs and pads cost with the ASS when I did the calculation for the service pack but don't recall the individual rates now.
Ak007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 10:35   #686
BHPian

Quote:

Torque18 - You must be lucky to get the activation code free. My dealer told me this is an option that costs Rs.9000/- (Nine thousand rupees, no less). I obviously refused it. I guess it is a personal choice. If you use Carplay / Android Auto, this may not be useful. Since there is no in-built navigation, voice activation is not really useful according to me.

No service booklet nor any warranty certificate. I don't know if this is VW way of cost cutting of some paper. It is supposed to be in their system which we don't have access to. I only received an email with a certificate from my dealer for the 5th year warranty.
baskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 11:33   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
If you use Carplay / Android Auto, this may not be useful. Since there is no in-built navigation, voice activation is not really useful according to me.

No service booklet nor any warranty certificate.
Yes i do use Android auto and that's why I had not bothered to ask the dealer about it. In fact, i thought the button would activate Google voice command. Mine is probably one of the last cars assembled so may be they wanted to get rid of these codes as the Allspace would have a slightly different unit with navigation integrated.

I am having a hard time procuring the OEM accessories though. Placed order with them but the dealer is also doubtful if the accessories for this model would ever come.

Yes, i also received a PDF relating to 4+1 year warranty.
Old 6th April 2020, 15:14   #688
MVM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVM View Post
Hello Guys
I recently purchased a Volkswagen Tiguan in the month of November. One problem that I also faced in my Vento which I had previously is that the gauge/instrument cluster plastic scratches very easily due to improper cleaning procedures.
Please let me know how I can remove these scratches without replacing this piece. It is a huge hindrance while driving and the scratches are clearly visible especially when the sun falls on it.
Thank You
Has anyone else had this issue ?
Old 6th April 2020, 23:30   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone else had this issue ?
I had the same issue on a Polo GT, the plastic on the instrument cluster is too delicate.

The detailer I take my car too used some polish to buff out the scratch, it almost gone now.

The other way is to get the plastic replaced, I think it is available as a spare part.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 07:51   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys
I recently purchased a Volkswagen Tiguan in the month of November. One problem that I also faced in my Vento which I had previously is that the gauge/instrument cluster plastic scratches very easily due to improper cleaning procedures.
Please let me know how I can remove these scratches without replacing this piece. It is a huge hindrance while driving and the scratches are clearly visible especially when the sun falls on it.
Thank You
Very difficult to remove. See the ones on my 4 1/2 year old Octavia .

I had asked a trusted detailer who replied that he can try and use a mild abrasive compound on it (used to restore headlights), but refused to guarantee the outcome. So I backed away.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img_20200305_142839.jpg  

itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks