Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2018, 15:17   #1576
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Apple Car play has been added . Software has been upgraded to Ver 12.5

ECU and BCM updates also done for some customers , which has completely ironed out issues related to jerks between gears . Am assuming these jerks are in the AMT model . Even I am eager to get this update .

Pics courtsey ( Nexon owners group on FB )
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-12.5.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-apple-car-play.jpg  

gautamkhadse is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 13:46   #1577
BHPian

I have had the Nexon XZA+ for little more than a month now. During this period he car has completed 1500 kms and its first long drive to Kodaikanal. I don't expect to find time to come up with an ownership thread. Hence, I have put together my thoughts and experience in this post and especially how it compares to my previous ride, Linea MJD.

Many of my friends were surprised that I sold my beautiful Linea only to buy a Nexon - a wannabe SUV. Even I consider this to be a downgrade in many ways but decided its the right choice at this stage of my life where I expected to be driving lot lesser and completely different priorities. I was willing to trade the fun-factor for a practical vehicle.
So, has Nexon lived up to my expectation? In one line, it certainly has, so far. Anyway, here it goes. To help break the monotony of my writing style, I have added some pictures I took during the last trip. Hope they do the job.

The drive:
When I sold my Linea two months back, it had clocked 1,65,000 kilometers and was old and tired. So, perhaps it's not a fair comparison, but with fully loaded and AC on, the Nexon pulls lot better than the Linea. Not only is the Nexon adequately powered, the AMT always finds the right gear to ensure the car pulls well. The ride quality, as reported and expected, is one of the two weaknesses I find with the Nexon. The ride is bumpy in roads where the Linea will just dismiss the imperfections. Having said that, the Nexon is very well planted on the road even at high speed. At hundred KMPH on a good quality road, you hardly notice the speed which is wonderfully aided by the well-insulated cabin. It's wonderful to have a quiet car, indeed. Cool.

I already mentioned in my other posts about the AMT and gear shifting. For my driving style, I find the gear shifts to be good enough. The modes do their job very well and for all my drive to work, I use city mode and for the highway drive I used the Economy and occasionally Sports. For the drive on the hills, I was playing around with all the modes, including manual. I was expecting the economy mode to not work for the steep climbs, but no such issue encountered. This is one area where I found the manual mode to be somewhat helpful. On occasions, depending on how deep the climb is, the AMT would maintain the gear at either on 1st or 2nd longer than I feel necessary. On such occasions, I found this mode to be useful where I could up-shift it sooner when I wanted. But even then, I ended up down-shifting occasionally, which basically means that unless you enjoy using this mode, any of the automatic modes should just suffice. Check.

The most surprising fact is how well the Nexon handles. I could pretty much do everything I did with my Linea on the Kodaikanal's winding roads and the Nexon never complained. Awesome.

Ground clearance:
This, one of the main reasons I went for the Nexon, is just too good to ignore. In my Linea, whenever I was at bad patches or especially the huge Bangalore speed breakers, I would pause, fumble and deliberate on which way to tackle it. Now with the Nexon, whatever is thrown at me, I just take it head on. It's incredible that such a relatively small car offers such a high clearance. Awesome.

Steering and seating comfort:
Steering is the other weakness of the Nexon. I knew the EPS is not as much fun and that Nexon's was not as calibrated as let's say the Ford Fiesta. But it's not the feedback or the choppy nature of the steering I am talking about. The steering gets way too heavy at high speed. In the Linea, at any speed over 80, the steering hardly required any input from the driver that I held it between my thumb and index finger. Now, out of habit I do the same with Nexon and my hand started hurting. It simply requires lot of effort just to hold it on winding roads. And it's not cool to having to hold the wheel firmly with two hands, is it? Not cool.

Talking of steering wheels, I also feel it's tad smaller and lacks adequate grip. Looks like I am going to wrap it in leather.

The other beef I have with the steering wheel is the position of it. Within its adjustment range, I am not finding a position that lets me see the instrument cluster completely and at the same time rest my right hand. I like to rest my right hand on the door-pad when cruising on the highway, but if I adjust the wheel for that, the display almost disappears behind the wheel. Not cool.

The left arm-rest seems just about right for me. No complaints there. Check.

The seat is just about okay and slightly better than the Linea, which isn't really a compliment. The seat could have been deeper and firmer. Under-thigh support is lacking as well. All in all, I am still finding out the best seating position. What also doesn't help is the visibility for the driver is very restricted. Jury is still out on this one.

MID and other options:

The mode selector may do its job, but is inconveniently positioned. How is one supposed to change the mode or reset the trip meter while driving? In the Linea, the mode selector was integrated with the wiper stalk. Besides, I don't understand why the outer temperature and ODO reading is not always shown. Not cool.

Every time I start the car, the car doesn't remember that I was playing audio via Bluetooth last. Not cool. But it's all worth it when you eventually listen to the music with very high quality sound effect. Awesome.

Fuel consumption:
I calculated the fuel consumption over a distance of 400 kilometers of which 180 kilometers on hilly terrains and got figure of 12.5 kmpl. This is not much different from the MID, which showed 13.3. The trip had three adult, a 10 year old and a dachshund and with AC mostly on, either cooling or warming. On another trip with just four lane driving, the MID was showing around 16 kmpl. Not bad at all, in my opinion. Check.

Other bits:
  • I don't particularly like the alloy wheel design. But I do appreciate that this design suits this car better than the multi-spoke alloy that my Linea had. Besides, it's much easier to clean the wheels
  • Talking about cleaning, the honeycomb pattern in the front grill is going to be difficult to keep clean.
  • I don't like the fact that the smart band doesn't double up as fitness band. As of now, my ten year old uses it occasionally when picking up something from the car while in the garage.
  • The tires require 30psi and even one point lesser seem to affect the ride of the car. Don't recall encountering this with the Linea.
  • Android Auto navigation requires the mobile to be connected via USB. May be there's a way, but I am yet to figure that out.
  • The rear wiper is a bit of as joke. Covers very little area.
And finally, some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03931.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03932.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03933.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03937.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03938.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03942.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03943.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03944.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03945.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03949.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03951.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dsc03953.jpg  

prakash_ajp is online now   (50) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 15:51   #1578

Tata Nexon Gets 4 Star Rating in GNCAP test.
#SaferCarsForIndia

http://www.globalncap.org/safercarsf...lt-tata-nexon/
4x4@theheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 16:52   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Philips Ultinon xtreme LED is available in H7 type and a few other members who have used it (albeit on other cars) have claimed good results from it.
PHILIPS H7 LED X-treme Ultinon 6000K (Set of 2) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B075QHPBRK/..._na.zBbE0E8A84
Thank you for the suggestion. I have not finalised this one yet due to the price. Saw Auxbeam T1 series LED Bulbs which also claim to use philips' chips costing around $68 with shipping. I am still in the searching mode though.

I have seen a significant number of Nexon XZ+ owners driving with the DRLs switched off. Is there any particular reason for it ? ( Like DRLs not under warranty, etc)

Last edited by gk.93 : 12th August 2018 at 17:22.
Old 13th August 2018, 00:19   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk.93 View Post
I have seen a significant number of Nexon XZ+ owners driving with the DRLs switched off. Is there any particular reason for it ? ( Like DRLs not under warranty, etc)
i don't think there is any particular reason. Only reason I can think of is they might have accidentally turned it off while switching on/off the lights.
It happened to me couple of times. I only came to know when casually looking at the console.
Old 13th August 2018, 09:22   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally turn off DRLs and drive and as i feel there is no need to use DRLs in most places in India. DRLs are needed only in Scandinavian countries where daylight is low. I am in Chennai and I don't think we need DRLs here.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 09:30   #1582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I personally turn off DRLs and drive and as i feel there is no need to use DRLs in most places in India. DRLs are needed only in Scandinavian countries where daylight is low. I am in Chennai and I don't think we need DRLs here.
DRL's are not needed for lighting up roads; they are needed to draw attention to the vehicle (especially during the day) and thereby increase safety for yourself and others.
DRL's are not cosmetic, they are functional and part of overall safety.
roy_libran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 11:17   #1583
BHPian

HI All,

Read this on web regarding the wearable key as accessory for Nexon. Seems accept the XZA+ variant owners, all have to pay for it..
Details here:

https://www.rushlane.com/tata-nexon-...-12277155.html

Contents copied from original article. All copyrights to original auther

Quote:

There seems to be a confusion among a few Nexon owners as to why some are getting the wearable key for free and why some have to pay.

Tata Motors says ‘the wearable smart key is available only for the Nexon XZA+ variant (TATA Nexon HyprDrive SS-G) as complimentary accessory. The smart key feature is not standard to all variants of the Tata Nexon. This puts to rest the notion that all Nexon owners would at some point have access to a wearable key.

The confusion probably stems from the fact that the the wearable key was made available as part of the pre-launch Nexon test drive, and was featured in reviews at the time. With no announcement made regarding availability for only a single variant, it’s easy to see why one would assume it was a standard accessory for Tata Nexon. It’s only when we were repeatedly approached by readers these past few months that we realised we had no clarity on the matter.

In a nutshell, the peps wearable key was shown to be compatible with manual Nexon variants but wasn’t part of the purchase process. So, for the most part a number of buyers have been waiting for the wearable PEPS wristband key believing it would be made available at a later date.

The wearable smart key has in fact been available since May 2018 when Tata Nexon AMT was launched. It was after this, customers who had manual variants were also allowed to buy, but as an accessory. Dealers are charging about Rs 5,500 for the wearable key. So those Nexon owners who have been waiting for the key, you can get in touch with your dealer and get one for yourself. Below is a short video showing how the wearable key works.

Speaking about Nexon, the car has been a huge success for Tata. More and more new buyers are opting for Tata, thanks to the Nexon. Recently, the Nexon was in news for getting a 4 star safety rating by Global NCAP.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 13th August 2018 at 11:18.
Old 13th August 2018, 12:07   #1584
BHPian

The black roof and black wrapping on the grey strips looks really good in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20180813_1126522.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20180813_1127122.jpg  

damodar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 12:15   #1585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
The black roof and black wrapping on the grey strips looks really good in person.
Do you mind sharing the costs for the wrapping ? I am also looking to wrap the ceramic white bits to black . I have a glasgow grey nexon XZA + which comes with those white strips that I dont like . Will be getting them wrapped in black gloss vinyl .
Old 13th August 2018, 12:51   #1586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DRLs are needed only in Scandinavian countries where daylight is low. I am in Chennai and I don't think we need DRLs here.
This is not really true, DRLs help other drivers spot or recognize your car in any low-visibility condition. I managed to avoid a side-scraping situation with a d'zire some months back solely because I spotted his DRLs. I was driving my Punto and he was overtaking an old KSRTC bus just pulling out from a bus bay, emitting tons of soot and smoke in first gear. The grey or silver D'zire was almost completely hidden inside the smoke plume except the DRLs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
DRL's are not cosmetic, they are functional and part of overall safety.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 13th August 2018 at 12:54.
sandeepmdas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 13:20   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Looks like the wrap has covered the Nexon's X - factor and made it look better.. wonder what goes in the minds of the designers while designing cars ?

Understated is a thing of the past.

I went with Orange nexon with Gray DT. The Gray strip looked much better and cooler than the white one.
Old 13th August 2018, 21:25   #1588
BHPian

Done with the first service at Concorde Motors, Bangalore. From booking to delivery, it was a good experience. Had mentioned the following issues to the SA: rear hatch wouldn't close easily and an air leak near the driver side. The former has been fixed and the latter I will only know after a highway drive, but the door has been realigned apparently.

I had a few scratches on the rear left panel next to the bumper. Thanks to the 3M PPF the body paint wasn't damaged, but there was visible scratches. They cleaned it up pretty good though.

Overall happy. Oh and I got the ICE upgrade as well. Updated to Feb version.
Old 14th August 2018, 09:16   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
As has been stated in this thread, DRL is a must have safety device. It helps in spotting on coming vehicles, very helpful in city where there is no road divider. Is also very helpful for vehicles in front of you. Lights shining in the rvm ensures driver is aware of vehicles behind you.

Since my 2012 i10 doesn't have them, I switch on the fog lamps all the time while driving. It helps to make others take notice of your presence.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 10:11   #1590
BHPian

So, I took my Nexon out for a drive yesterday and noticed a serious flaw in the AMT ECU.

The highway is undergoing repairs and the traffic is diverted to the service road. By chance, there was an incident when a tractor-trailer carrying sand for construction accidentally lifted its trailor and dumped quite a large amount of sand on the service road. Now, it wasn't a big deal as even the humble Alto's and Eon's were passing above it. But when I reached that section and drove from stationary, the car had a massive wheel-spin. After that the wheels refused to rotate even after hard accelerator pedal input. And mind you, this was all in first gear. I tried putting it in neutral and back in first gear but still nothing. The car just revved till 6K RPM but the gearbox didn't give any torque at all to the wheels.

After about 5 minutes with many vehicles honking behind me, I gave up, turned off the ignition and turned it back on. And the error went away. What would've been probable cause of the issue? What should be my further course of action? My car has covered 800 km and the first service is due in a week.

Last edited by ampere : 14th August 2018 at 10:13. Reason: Formatted post
PapaKiloSierra9 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed