Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2019, 22:33   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Well, the engine has not given me any trouble over the 8 months of ownership. But it is not as fuel-efficient as I would like it to be, given the power delivery is not all that great. The AMT spoils the package for me. The shifts are somewhat unpredictable, especially between 1st and 2nd gears upshift and downshift. So it leaves you powerless for a second during upshift, or does a very late jerky downshift at times when you least expect it to.
Not investigated the tyre pressure drop much.
I watched some videos where they said manual transmission could yield better mileage.
Did you use your Nexon for long trips including ghat sections? How does the engine perform there?
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 02:09   #2192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Naveen, why don't you look at getting the doors damped? I got it done for my Tiago XZA, and it has made a significant improvement to the sound quality.

Thank you for the suggestion. The noise is only from driver side door. And it sounds like the window glass is vibrating, but could not find any play in the windows. Will check out on the next service.
Planning to get a underseat sub installed. Hence the question on getting Sub-output from the head unit.
Old 26th April 2019, 07:45   #2193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I watched some videos where they said manual transmission could yield better mileage.
Did you use your Nexon for long trips including ghat sections? How does the engine perform there?
I expect manual will give better mileage. I had taken my car to chikkamagalur and mullaiyanagiri. Got overall mileage of around 13kmpl in that trip. But the engine was fairly new, so I think it would improve after run in.
Old 26th April 2019, 08:35   #2194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
A little
Manual's are generally more fuel efficient than their auto counterparts, however, this may not be true for AMT. From what i understand, AMTs are as fuel efficient as manuals because they are essentially manuals only with actuators doing what a driver is supposed to do (press clutch-shift gear-release clutch). Nexon comes with an AMT so you won't sacrifice your FE.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 21:53   #2195
BHPian

Folks, is there some production cut on Nexon XZA+ ?
Went to Concorde bangalore and they showed a letter from company to not accept any orders on White, Orange, Grey color.
They have given us an ETA of 6 weeks with no option of booking at the moment.

I was actually hoping of some discounts and it was a great surprise to see no discounts and long waiting time.
Anything which we guys are missing ?
Old 30th April 2019, 08:27   #2196
BHPian

After years of seeing thousands of erstwhile i20 carry the badge of 5 Star Safety Rating, Feeling proud of the Indian offering from TATA

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20190430_082444.jpg
Moto$apien is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 08:33   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Folks, is there some production cut on Nexon XZA+ ?
Went to Concorde bangalore and they showed a letter from company to not accept any orders on White, Orange, Grey color.
They have given us an ETA of 6 weeks with no option of booking at the moment.

I was actually hoping of some discounts and it was a great surprise to see no discounts and long waiting time.
Anything which we guys are missing ?
Yeah they didn't have discounts even in March compared to others. Guess Tata is happy with the numbers they are achieving already. Moreover just like Maruti all manufacturers are wary of the upcoming BS-VI norms, so probably are checking the production in order to avoid last minute heavy discounts ( example: the tsunami of Discounts offered in March 2018 for 2 wheelers)
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 08:35   #2198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
After years of seeing thousands of erstwhile i20 carry the badge of 5 Star Safety Rating, Feeling proud of the Indian offering from TATA
Is i20 5-star rated at GNCAP? I don't think so. May be i am not aware.
Old 30th April 2019, 09:12   #2199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Moreover just like Maruti all manufacturers are wary of the upcoming BS-VI norms, so probably are checking the production in order to avoid last minute heavy discounts ( example: the tsunami of Discounts offered in March 2018 for 2 wheelers)
Why are they killing the golden duck 12 months in advance ?
They still have time - moreover this looks like regressive mode to not take bookings.
Old 30th April 2019, 11:37   #2200
BHPian

My first service is due and I am confused a bit. Got the car from KHT motors and the service center for that is quite away from my home and opposite direction to office.
1. Can i give it for service at any other dealer.
2. Can I buy extended warranty from any dealer or I have to go to the same dealer from where I got the car.
Old 30th April 2019, 11:46   #2201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
My first service is due and I am confused a bit. Got the car from KHT motors and the service center for that is quite away from my home and opposite direction to office.
1. Can i give it for service at any other dealer.
2. Can I buy extended warranty from any dealer or I have to go to the same dealer from where I got the car.
1) you can service your car at any dealer.
2) you can buy the extended warranty and AMC from any dealer.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 11:47   #2202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
1) you can service your car at any dealer.
2) you can buy the extended warranty and AMC from any dealer.
That help, will give it this Thursday, already covered close to 1400 KM
Old 1st May 2019, 22:06   #2203
BHPian

One month back, after a lot of running around and cancellation and booking at different dealer I got my Tata NexonXZ+ (D) home on March 30, 2019. Few pages back I had written about my booking experience and the reason I went for Nexon.

Today my car has covered 1400KM and will be sent for first service tomorrow.

My ride prior to the Nexon was Honda Brio so comparisons are inevitable.

Why the change:
Honestly more of a want than a need. Brio is a fuss free car with robust mechanicals and decent space. It was serving me fine, done 49,000KM on the ODO in 6 years and still running on stock everything (expect tyres, changed at 41,000KM, battery changed after 3.5 years and relay for the headlight).

The car never gave up on me, even after I moving out of Honda service to a FNG. Service interval was also moved to 10K and synthetic oil used after 30K

What impressed about the Brio was its stability at highway speeds, it can easily do 100-110 all day without feeling stressed. Changing lane at those speeds was unbelievably easy. And the car is good fun round the bends, have taken it twice to Wayanad and once to Munnar, Coorg, Chennai. The car is really good on highways and can keep up with a segment above easily.

Now for not so good things.
  • Ride Quality: Stiff. Even after upgrading from 175/65/14 to 185/65/14 and Goodyear to Michelin the ride quality is stiff. And this was giving me back pain. Also the seats are very thin not very supportive. Rear seats have pretty useless headrest. Front seats lack a bit of under thigh support.
    For a car that was intended to city drive the seats makes sense the ride quality does not.
  • Stability over bad roads: Car gets unsettled easily esp when the road has a lot of patchwork or bad roads. Felt it big time going to Coorg.
  • Boot space: 175L with deep running boot and narrow opening is plain silly. Once I had to get carton boxes but it will just not fit. Beat has similar boot space but the opening makes it more functional.
  • AC: Mediocre. Even for Bangalore.
  • GC: Scrapped very less, but each time I have to be very cautious over large potholes and speed/car breakers in Bengaluru. Esp with full load.
  • NVH: Quite a lot of noise filters into the cabin.
  • Engine: It is much better than in Jazz, but there is a flat spot around 2K RPM and after 2500 it takes off. Low end is liveable.
  • Speed masking: 80 feels like 110 on Brio. So the hunt started and finally zeroed on the Nexon (details given few pages back). In a gist, did not want Brezza, Ecosport has stiff ride quality and short space, WR-V loud engine, fixed headrest average build quality.

Much has been written and reviewed. I will present my observations.
    Out of 1400KM, 550Km were on highway/free moving light traffic. Remaining on horrible rush hour Bengaluru traffic.
  • Handling and Stability: I miss the Brio here. I used to drive like go-kart coming out of my office parking from Basement-2, it was real fun to throw the car around. Nexon is stable but not as much fun. One can feel the weight and height of the car. It's not bad but Brio is more fun. However Nexon feel more planted, road irregularities do not bother the composure much and we can take small potholes and rough surface at speed. Speed masking compared to Brio is very good.
  • Ride quality: Feels so good. Big tyres and decent suspension set up is way better than the Brio and even better than Ecosport and Brezza. Though it could have been better with lower GC or multi-link (day dreaming ain't a crime )
  • Features: This is a big step up. ACC, steering mounted controls, Android Auto, Seat height adjust, rake adjustment, ABS, dual airbags, adjustable head rest, Projector headlights. Would have loved to have a complete top end with 6 airbags and all other safety features.
  • Build quality: Needless to say, 5 star crash rating, and in general better build quality than most budget Hondas.
  • NVH: This is what surprised me. The car has very good NVH and at 100KMPH we can hardly hear any noise. Both wind noise and tyre noise are kept under control. Only on concrete road the tyre noise increases a bit. Engine is audible whenever we accelerate at cursing it is drowned in the music.
  • Music system: Wow. At this price point the audio quality is amazing, better than segment above or should I say competes with 2 segment above.
  • GC: Its going to be difficult to drive a low slung sedan or hatchback again. I don't even bother with the speed breakers. Funny part is my time to office has actually reduced after moving from Brio to Nexon. Same rough and pot holed road I am able to take at higher speeds, don't have to come to a crawl and pray at speed breakers, no driving cross over large speed breakers,
  • Engine: Engine has sufficient pull to avoid many gear changes. It is powerful and quite good at pulling the bulk around. Not a eager engine but quite good esp in sports mode.
  • FE: This has been so pleasant. Yet to have first service.
    My first tank full yielded 15.2 KMPL (T2T) over 463KM with 150KM driven on highway/low traffic and the remaining in rush hour.
    Second Tank full (T2T) yielded 14.5 KMPL over 425KM with full city driving in bad traffic.
    Third Tank full yielded 19.8 over 423Km with 40KM in horrible traffic, balance on highway/low traffic.
    All figures with ACC set between 24-26 all the time.
  • Seating: Much improvement over the low slung Brio. Back ache has gone and the seats are very comfortable. The high seating give much needed visibility on highways and city alike.
    The rear seat is quite comfortable as well and adequate space for 5 people. I have actually taken 5 people and no one complained. One of them was slim built though.
  • Headlights: Low beam is average, plan to upgrade it. The illumination is not great. Same for the fog lights, will upgrade that too. High beam is good will stick to stock.
  • AC: Very very effective. Cools the cabin quickly. The rear vents help a lot and passengers liked this.
  • Gears: Shifting is good, Suzuki has a better shifting. 6th Gear helps immensely on the highway.

Dislikes:

• MID: It has limited info compared to rest in segment, does not show average speed. Has horrible FE accuracy, always shows 3KMPL higher. Also the range is shown way lower than actual. For eg, MID showed range for 145KM but when I tanked up, car took in 29L, meaning about 15L very remaining. Even at 15KMPL FE, the range was 225 but MID showed only 145KM.
  • Feature deletion: Very very irritating. Tata removed rear seat charging, tray from glovebox, auto-locking removed, rear vents only blower, spare a steel wheel and few more small features deleted.
  • No true top end: 6 airbags and Hill hold, ESC, EBD etc. Not a fan of leather seats or auto everything but safety should have been provided.
  • Smallish tank: Tank size should have been 48-50L for a better range

Despite the negatives, I am surely liking the car and very happy with the purchase. Few niggles like strange rattling comes from near the seat/read door will get that sorted and reverse gear sometimes does not engage smoothly.

I thought I will miss cruise control but my trip to Mysore proved otherwise, I could not maintain speed of more than 110 for 2 mins, the traffic is crazy and unpredictable.

Mysore ride was good, felt very comfortable in the Nexon, on return we did 160KM in about 3 hours (hotel to home) non stop, and not a hint of tiredness
Both me and wife went to office after the drive back.

After a month of ownership, I will surely recommend Nexon to prospective owners, it is a good robust comfortable car. I hope the service does not disappoint.

PS: Tried adding few pics but could not. Some issue with site. Will try and upload pics tomorrow

Last edited by ampere : 2nd May 2019 at 07:12.
aniyo is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:22   #2204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After a month of ownership, I will surely recommend Nexon to prospective owners, it is a good robust comfortable car. I hope the service does not disappoint.
Congratulations on your purchase. Wish you a wonderful ownership

Around 11-12L range(OTR), Nexon is indeed one of the best out there if you are looking for a manual car. It was my first choice as well while upgrading(last month) but sadly I needed an automatic and the AMT is just not good enough(Not just in Nexon, but in general). Wish Tata provided a TC for Nexon , would have surely landed in my garage
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:55   #2205
BHPian

Quote:
[*]AC: Mediocre. Even for Bangalore.
[*]AC: Very very effective. Cools the cabin quickly. The rear vents help a lot and passengers liked this.
explain!
unless the car cooled down towards the end of the post

Most Viewed