Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2019, 08:49   #2266
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

So my 15 month and 33k kms old Nexon's AC gave up this week. There was complete lack of cooling when i started the car on Sunday. Gave it to the nearest service centre and the issue was zeroed down to the cooling coil. The coil was replaced under warranty and i got the car back yesterday. Cooling is back to its normal.

However, this is not confidence inspiring at all. I don't expect cooling coil to give up so early in the ownership. I hope this is a one-off case and i don't see more failures going forward. Reason for my apprehension is my experience with my previous car, which again was a new age Tata (Zest XMA). My Zest encountered multiple part failures and replacements (all under warranty) in its life of 3 years and 95k kms. After i parted with my Zest, nothing apart from Nexon struck my heart. Once you drive a Tata, you just cannot compromise on the build quality and the only option is to go back to Tata or move to VW/Skoda.
tarik.arora is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 09:18   #2267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
However, this is not confidence inspiring at all. I don't expect cooling coil to give up so early in the ownership. I hope this is a one-off case and i don't see more failures going forward.
I too hope it's just a one of case. We have multiple Hyundai Creta and other models on this forum with similar mileage as yours having AC issues.
Good thing is TATA resolved the issue without hassle.

Though I agree 33K is quite low for AC faliure. My Brio is 50K and no issue on any mechanical or electrical components. Just hoping my Nexon stays the same.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 16:04   #2268
BHPian

I have AC compressor clutch failure in my Verna at 1Lakh kms mark and 9th year of ownership,there was also some metal shavings in compressor oil.I think part failures are more to do with vendor specific scenarios especially localized variants which look the same but not necessarily perform the same.
To give an example from my experience, I have owned a 2006 Ford fiesta ZXI TDI as well as First generation Ford figo.Although the engine and gearbox components are same the smoothness of the gearshifts in Fiesta(which had higher imported parts content) could never be matched by the Figo with localized components.
BeingHuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 07:52   #2269
Senior - BHPian

For guys yearning for a rear passenger light DOT-IT from Osram is a viable option. This, I found in a 'clearance bin', at a check-out counter - cost me just Rs. 150 and works on pencil batteries
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_6791.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 16:12   #2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
After navigating a steep climb on a narrow road in south Bengalooru, squeezing in between parked cars and oncoming vehicles at high revs in 1st gear, the AMT warning light started flashing. This happened after just about 500 meters of such driving. I had to stop for a minute and the light went away. Has anyone else seen such behaviour?
Yes and it keeps coming more than often these days, during the initial days this was not happening. but now the light comes in beeping till I stop or clear the traffic jams.
Old 30th May 2019, 23:03   #2271
Senior - BHPian

Finally booked myself a White XZ+ ST, Final On road amount is yet to be finalized as i am negotiating with the Dealer for some extra discount. Also waiting for June discounts from Tata Motors. Tyre Upgrade is on top of the To-do list, would appreciate any suggestions from fellow Bhpians.
agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 02:08   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Tyre Upgrade is on top of the To-do list, would appreciate any suggestions from fellow Bhpians.

Go for Michelin Primacy 4. They are a bit pricey but well worth the comfort and handling compared to stock Goodyear tires.
badboyscad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 08:00   #2273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Finally booked myself a White XZ+ ST, Final On road amount is yet to be finalized as i am negotiating with the Dealer for some extra discount. Also waiting for June discounts from Tata Motors.
Hi, is there any sense from the dealer on whether June will have extra discounts?

I have booked my XZA+ DT D and the car would be available in the first week of June - evaluating whether wait for the billing.
Old 31st May 2019, 10:36   #2274
BHPian

I hardly got any discounts in March despite haggling with 3 dealers. But now after Venue and XUV300 one might squeeze some discount. Though Nexon does not directly compete with XUV300 on pricing front, Venue may have some effect on discounts.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 11:40   #2275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Hi, is there any sense from the dealer on whether June will have extra discounts?

I have booked my XZA+ DT D and the car would be available in the first week of June - evaluating whether wait for the billing.

Went ahead to get it. Planning to take delivery on the 6th.
Old 1st June 2019, 21:31   #2276
BHPian

Firstly I thank Moderators for approving my membership on TeamBhp and this is my first post.

I was looking for an upgrade and I have booked TATA Nexon XZ+Petrol after a couple of test drives. Currently I drive an Alto K10(2011) and I felt the Nexon to be miles ahead in terms of performance,quality and comfort during the test drive.
The SA has just shared the VIN MATxxxxxxKLExxxxx and I guess its 2019 May manufactured one. Kindly correct me if I am wrong here.

People are asking me TATA with questioning eyes and I am getting nervous due to that. Please let me know if there are any major issues with respect to Manual Petrol during the long term ownership.
Old 2nd June 2019, 15:43   #2277

Quote:
Originally Posted by bled_soul View Post
I have driven the Nexon amt. I drive a kodiaq (dsg) and have owned cvts (altis and city) and about to own a tc (ecosport) so I think I can help you with this. If your wife is used to driving a Tc or a cvt, she wouldn’t appreciate an amt. if she hasn’t driven an auto before, she’d love the amt. the car drives well but the head nods are very much perceptible. Anyone who says head nods are not noticeable is either lying or hasn’t driven conventional automatics. You can clearly sense the loss of power when the clutch is engaged and disengaged during a gear change. That being said, the car is really good and for anyone who hasn’t driven a conventional auto before, amt would be loved by them. There’s no issue, be it in traffic or otherwise. Just think about her driving experience. If it’s purely manual or other amts, go for it. Else have her test drive it and if she says she likes it, only then go for it.
I do agree with this evaluation. I drive a 6-speed torque converter automatioc Ford Territory in Australia and own a Tata Nexon XZA here. Of course there is a difference between the two. The torque converter automatic makes the car heavier and is generally less fuel efficient but depending on the manufacturer it can be smooth and seameless but complex and expensive to repair. I have driven other cars with Torque Converters that are jerky on occasions. The AMT on the other hand I understand does not add weight and is based on a hydraulic actuator system controlled by the ECU. So the quality of gear changes would be as good as the quality of the actuator and the programming. In real life I have find that the Nexon that I drive simulates someone pressing the clutch and changing gears on occasions. But mostly the shifts are seamless. It is particularly good in Sports mode and slightly less so in City mode. The final point is that the Torque Converters are expensive, have higher running and maintenance costs and the AMT is cheaper to run and maintain but are certainly less smooth. I think in India I would prefer the AMT for the reason that it is simple and robust and good for fuel economy
Edaks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 12:25   #2278
BHPian

Looks like June pricing is out today and the offers are same as May. Is anyone hearing anything different?

I am canceling my Venue SX(O) D booking and picking up my Nexon XZA+ D
Glass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 12:46   #2279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edaks View Post
The AMT on the other hand I understand does not add weight and is based on a hydraulic actuator system controlled by the ECU. The final point is that the Torque Converters are expensive, have higher running and maintenance costs and the AMT is cheaper to run and maintain but are certainly less smooth. I think in India I would prefer the AMT for the reason that it is simple and robust and good for fuel economy
I second your views, AMT is all about getting used to the lag of 3-4 seconds. The cost factor of buying an AMT and its maintenance is favorable to India.
Old 4th June 2019, 13:14   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Looks like June pricing is out today and the offers are same as May. Is anyone hearing anything different?

I am canceling my Venue SX(O) D booking and picking up my Nexon XZA+ D
It will be very interesting to know what sealed the deal in favour of Nexon?

Most Viewed