Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2019, 13:50   #2461
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
W

Indeed, auto door locks have been removed. Another item that I had in my 9 year old car.

In the new Nexon 2 years ago, they had issues that the system kept attempting to lock doors in motion even when they were already locked. Is removal of the feature the permanent fix?

I just don't believe it...
I checked with Concorde dairy circle guys, they claim it is due to government order and that all new cars cannot have this feature.
I politely corrected. Child lock should not be there in Taxi and there is no order for auto locking door. Told him Venue and Hector come with the same. He just gave a sheepish smile.

Though I don't miss this feature much as my old car did not have and I am used to lock the door manually. It would have been good to have for sure.
What I hate more is request sensor on the passenger side was deleted and the charging socket from rear
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 14:07   #2462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
Owners who own variants other than XZ+, could you pls let me know, as to how sorely are you missing the rear wipers/defogger? Use of rain repellents like Rain-X to give a beading effect on the rear windshield can be an alternative? XZ+ variant is overshooting my budget and is absolutely an overkill for me. Hence the queries. TIA.
Its certainly a useful feature. But there are millions of hatchbacks, SUVs out on the streets that are running without the rear wiper. So its not exactly a deal breaker if rest of your needs are met.

The wiper is actually more useful to wipe away the soil and mud that gets deposited on the hatch-backs rather than just rain. In your highway drives - you can use your coffee breaks to quickly wash the rear glass with water and continue onwards if you don't have a rear wiper.

The ORVMs give quite a lot of coverage so safety is covered pretty much.

If its purely on budget & you cannot stretch, go for the new XT+. You are not bothered about the touch screen HU with android auto / apple car play? Having an SUV that you will take on long drives makes a lot more sense when it also has a good in-dash navigation with Google maps. Just my experience over last few years. If you are fine with a dash-mounted phone working for Google Maps, then no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
I checked with Concorde dairy circle guys, they claim it is due to government order and that all new cars cannot have this feature.
I politely corrected. Child lock should not be there in Taxi and there is no order for auto locking door. Told him Venue and Hector come with the same. He just gave a sheepish smile.
I am never going to step into Concorde showroom in my life. They hire the most incompetent sales staff ever to walk the earth. Either they don't know the things. Or when they know, they do a pathetic job of PR disasters like your case above.
I purchased my Nexon roughly 20 kms from my home but not from a Concorde that is at 15 minutes distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Though I don't miss this feature much as my old car did not have and I am used to lock the door manually. It would have been good to have for sure.
What I hate more is request sensor on the passenger side was deleted and the charging socket from rear
Yeah I was used to it for 9 years. So now feels frustrating to not have it in an "upgrade" at more than twice the car price!

Thankfully with this refresh, I got the rear 12V socket back. I really needed it. Helps rear passengers to charge mobile with a USB dongle. But most importantly, I intend to connect a Honeywell air purifier back there and needed the socket for it.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 14:16   #2463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
Will using the Manual gear mode always cause any problem?
Not really. When I drive my wife's AltoK10 AMT, I always use it in manual mode exclusively. Points to keep in mind -
  • It stays in gear unless upshifted and happily goes to redline. So if driven with heavy foot, it will give lower FE in normal situations than AMT
  • Obviously if the user consistently revvs higher (not even necessarily to red line) it will cause more wear to engine than AMTs conservative drive would.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th August 2019 at 15:33. Reason: As requested
Old 10th August 2019, 14:56   #2464
BHPian

My post above #2463 has been submitted before i completed drafting of views and hence i request moderators to delete the post. I' sincerely apologise.

12v Splitter

i checked in Amazon and found 3 options from good manufacturers..Pic.provided below.Bestek 3 socket for Rs.2099, Bestek 2 socket for Rs.1099 and TP Link's 3 socket for Rs.645.Will choose between the last 2.TP TP link is cheaper but Bestek's balck color suits best with the car interiors. Point to note is that there is a lot of diff.in prices for the same in Flipkart.For example the Bestek 3 socket costs Rs.3747 in Flipkart but only Rs.2099 in Amazon.Even the mrp is different.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-12-v.png

I have laid the noodle mats.It is maroon-black and i bought a roll which was cut and laid to cover the entire floor including the dicky.Cost me Rs.2000.For those in Hyderabad,you can get this at a shop in Sec-bad which is in a lane going from passport office to Monda market. Not inside the market...there it is expensive.

Name:  Footmat.png
Views: 2883
Size:  876.9 KB

Last edited by Ram78 : 10th August 2019 at 15:22.
Ram78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 14:59   #2465
Senior - BHPian

I just traveled from Bangalore to Chennai on a Nexon AMT. What a car!!! The first time I have ever been on an AMT equipped car and it didn't disappoint.

I traveled in a manual variant a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with the power, ride quality, music system and the general NVH of the car.

This time I got to experience the AMT. Contrary to all the comments about AMT, I didn't feel the gear shifts at all. He had it in Sports mode all the while, maybe that helped.

The braking was felt though when we were inching, could be driver error though. TATA has built an awesome car that is best suited for our roads. Deserves to be #1 C-SUV in the market but it's not.

Hope the service back up is improved as well. I really see it as my next car

And I didn't even get to experience the front seat which is usually the best seats in a car

Last edited by SchumiFan : 10th August 2019 at 15:03.
SchumiFan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 18:16   #2466
BHPian

Quote:
Owners who own variants other than XZ+, could you pls let me know, as to how sorely are you missing the rear wipers/defogger? Use of rain repellents like Rain-X to give a beading effect on the rear windshield can be an alternative? XZ+ variant is overshooting my budget and is absolutely an overkill for me. Hence the queries. TIA.
Hi spr1ngleo:my 2 cents, though im an owner of XZA+.

Some years back, very few cars i know had the rear wipers . Even in the 2 cars i owned which had this feature, i used it minimally. Probably not even in double digits . The defogger was never used. It never functioned...maybe because i did not know how to use it properly. Net - net, lack of rear wipers should not be a show stopper. If you like the Nexon esp. due to its safety features, then go for it.Most of the other features can be installed post purchase.

However i differ a bit with the 'getting out and cleaning' business. You will not be able to do so when you need it the most. Though I understand, it's the best advice if you do not have the wiper. Again, don't break your head on it.

Unless you are born with a golden spoon or have won a lottery , buying a car is a big decision. So research for other models as well which im sure you are . I understand your dilemma because i was in your shoes 2 months back. I don't see any other car in your budget which i assume will be in the 10-11 lakh bracket. that can be classified as 'safe'. Check out for i20 with 6 airbags or even the Venue. I did so and chose the Nexon, though im not a fan of its rear.The rest of it will more than make up for it.

Last edited by Ram78 : 10th August 2019 at 18:18.
Ram78 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 09:02   #2467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't own a Nexon, but having owned numerous other cars and having driven through pouring rain in many a night, I can say I can do without rear wipers or defoggers. It's not something I would spend half a lakh on.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 09:21   #2468

I got the delivery of my Nexon XZ+ (White) about a week back.
Tried city traffic and one day of a highway drive.

(A) Speed and Speeding:
It is nice to drive the car. Feels so steady at even 80-100 kmph.

I was surprised by the beep when I 80 kmph because it still felt like 60 kmph on the highway. Only on turnings you get slight feedback on the steering wheel, a gentle hint hint that you are overspeeding. Cabin noise, lack of vibrations and roll are all to contribute to this feeling of gentle cruising even at high speeds.

Personally I believe we must not exceed 60-80 kmph by daytime and 50-60 kmph by night on highways. But there were times I touched even 100-110 kmph and only a look at the speedometer made me realise it. I think once it beeps, we must just take our foot off the accelarator and slow down. Hope Tata Motors can give us the option of the once in 2-minutes beeps at 80 kmph as at present and the continuous beeps (which I never reached) by 100 kmph if someone wants. Or 70 and 90 kmph if someone else feels so.

(B) Gears: I also felt that the 6th gear was useful mainly on the highway when we exceed 60 kmph. Anytime we brake and drop below 60 kmph speeds, we need to go down to 5th gear. City driving maximum is only 4th gear.

(C) Auto-Locking: I also have a difficulty with automatic locking, it does not lock by itself when we exceed 20 kmph or even 40 kmph; need to do it manually. Some BHP-ians here have mentioned that it gets alright after the first service. Do I need to remind the service center of it?
balaji_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 10:04   #2469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_b View Post
I got the delivery of my Nexon XZ+ (White) about a week back.
Tried city traffic and one day of a highway drive.
Congratulations on your new car! Wishing you & your loved ones unlimited safe & happy miles with it. Enjoy driving the fast tank! I have an identical one and got it last week too .

Quote:
(A) Speed and Speeding:
It is nice to drive the car. Feels so steady at even 80-100 kmph.

I was surprised by the beep when I 80 kmph because it still felt like 60 kmph on the highway.
+1. During my first drive on the highway - I didn't recognize what that beep was for first 2 occurances! I was wondering why others are driving so slow today! Then realized I was going faster than usual. The car doesn't give a "feeling" of high speed at all.

I'm wondering if thats one of the reasons why we often see reports of Nexons meeting accidents & all occupants coming out safe and sound. While the safety is awesome & great that everyone is safe - I wonder if the drivers don't realize they are going faster than they should! And then they lose control? Not a fault of the car at all of course. But quite a possible scenario especially for first time drivers or those upgrading from low power small hatchbacks.

Quote:
Only on turnings you get slight feedback on the steering wheel, a gentle hint hint that you are overspeeding.
Do you mean you are getting slight vibrations or something no the wheel during turns at speed? You might want to check the wheel alignment. I don't get any such feedback on high speed turns also. And I'd rather not have it. Better to have a consistent wheel during high speed turns rather than an unnerving and distracting feedback - my preference only.

Quote:
(C) Auto-Locking: I also have a difficulty with automatic locking, it does not lock by itself when we exceed 20 kmph or even 40 kmph; need to do it manually. Some BHP-ians here have mentioned that it gets alright after the first service. Do I need to remind the service center of it?
Like I mentioned in a previous post - the feature is missing. Let's ask during the first service if its latent & can be activated via software tweak. I don't have high hopes about it though.
Old 12th August 2019, 11:13   #2470
BHPian

Quote:
Owners who own variants other than XZ+, could you pls let me know, as to how sorely are you missing the rear wipers/defogger?.
Depends upon which city you drive mostly. I have XM and never felt the need for rear wiper or defogger in Mumbai/highway drives/Pune. I would have opted for those if the incremental cost was around 5k. Useful only when there are muddy deposits on rear glass, which is rare on Navi Mumbai streets.

On XUV500 though, I occassionally use rear wipers, because it is available and sometimes yet indeed it's glass gets muddy deposits on bad roads. Used defogger probably only 6 times in 8 years, that too for a very short duration when the car was wet from inside when it was locked.
Pulse500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 11:25   #2471
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys the rear wiper sure is useful. There is no doubt about it. So lets not discuss "whether" its required or not. The importance we give to the rear wiper is directly proportional to how worried we feel without any visibility in the IRVM. As simple as that.

If you pay a lot of attention to the IRVM - you need the rear wiper in rainy season. Otherwise you simply feel nervous due to suddenly loosing one of your brain's data inputs while driving. If you don't mind seeing nothing in the IRVM or don't often use it - then you'll be fine without the rear wiper.

It is so important that in most developed countries it is a mandate for automakers to install it - across all trims and not just top trim - if the car is an SUV/notch-back/hatchback. No option.

I have an Alto that doesn't have it. I HATE taking it out of the city on any highway even to office during rainy season. Highway drives are split second decision scenarios and absolutely every visual input I get is vital for me & my family's safety.

My 2 cents.
Reinhard is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 11:49   #2472
BHPian

Thanks guys, the incremental cost in this case is more than a lakh, which I think is not worth it, if rear wipers is the only thing I am looking for. Thanks again for sharing your valuable opinions, they matter a lot.
Old 12th August 2019, 17:53   #2473
BHPian

Last Saturday, took delivery of the Glasgow Grey XZ+. Overall satisfied with the performance of the car purely in city driving conditions (about 100 kms). Too bad that haven't been able to get beyond 4th gear in typical Kolkata traffic. Definitely will have to take her out on the highways on 15th. A small niggle though, the HU clock is slowing down and that too quite appreciably, say 20 minutes a day. Should I be alarmed and immediately head for service centre or wait till the first service? Gurus, please advise.
Inquisitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 18:27   #2474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
Last Saturday, took delivery of the Glasgow Grey XZ+.
Congratulations! Welcome to the gang. Wishing you & the family unlimited safe & happy miles ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
A small niggle though, the HU clock is slowing down and that too quite appreciably, say 20 minutes a day. Should I be alarmed and immediately head for service centre or wait till the first service? Gurus, please advise.
I noticed the same this morning in my car too. In the evening though when I started from office again - it was showing right time. I'm wondering if synced up with the phone clock or something at that time.

Anyway - surely a point to keep a watch & report if repeated during 1st service. What is the version /date of your HU's software? Mine seems to be something like November 2018 IIRC. Quite sure that there will be an update by now. Will ask the service team to patch it during 1st service.

Last edited by Reinhard : 12th August 2019 at 18:41.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 18:58   #2475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I noticed the same this morning in my car too. In the evening though when I started from office again - it was showing right time. I'm wondering if synced up with the phone clock or something at that time.

Anyway - surely a point to keep a watch & report if repeated during 1st service. What is the version /date of your HU's software? Mine seems to be something like November 2018 IIRC. Quite sure that there will be an update by now. Will ask the service team to patch it during 1st service.
Thanks for your wishes. I think mine is the same version as yours but will surely check tonight. I connected the phone by BT and that's it, didn't try the Android Auto yet. If the niggle persists, will have to bring it to their notice and definitely update the version.
Inquisitive is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed