Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 14:03   #2521
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
It could be the design and curve of the glass in modern cars which are susceptible. Earlier cars had simple design and body also used to be mostly straight line design.
I think its a combination of -
  • Quality
  • Design
  • Workmanship

Even my Vista's windshield was quite curvy. It survived a horrific accident, infinite rocks being thrown at it from dumpers in front & plenty of large branches of bottle palms falling on it over 9 years. (My parking slot is under a bottle palm tree!) A much newer Honda city right besides has had 3 windshield glasses replaced in 4 years thanks to the palms.

What I see is - the margins of tolerance in design have been squeezed a lot for cost cutting & aesthetics. If you look closely in most new cars - the 4 corners of the glass actually appear "bent" in relation to the rest of the surface plane after installation. So they are pressed at more pressure than rest of the glass area in installation position. Couple that with thinner glass (if that is the case) and even a slight error in installation - result will be a crack in those areas. This in a way can be considered a design flaw or poor manufacture by the supplier against the provided specifications in design.

As evident in the pictures above - the crack is in the RHS bottom area which aligns with my analysis of extra bend and stress in that corner of the glass. That would mean the force required for crack in that area will be lesser in comparison to say in the middle of the glass.

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th August 2019 at 14:06.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 14:06   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
Just another irritant and I believe this is very specific in my case. One of the remote keys went kaput over the weekend, think the battery in it that was dead and that too within the first week. Presently working with the other remote but a little bit worried when it would also go wrong. In contrast my other Toyota and Honda key fobs are going strong even after 7 years..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Looks like a one-off. My previous Tata key battery lasted 9 years. Perhaps the battery supplier made a mistake in the dispatch or a quality issue at Hitachi/Maxell!

I have personally faced an issue with a half-dead key for a Keyless start Nexon, and the spare 'watch' key was not working, because of a conflict with the latter key.

I replaced the battery for a Nexon Key which was 8 months old, and again last week after 6 months of usage. All batteries used were Maxell. I have now purchased Panasonic ones ready for the next replacement.
ananthacharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 14:43   #2523
BHPian

Mini drive on Saturday to Sivasamundra falls.

We had originally decided on Pondi but we felt it would have been very crowded so dropped it. After searching for day trips around bangalore, this seemed a decent option.

Distance 160KM from Bangalore
Route: We started on the Bannerghatta route for some time and realized there is nothing to eat on this route. Took a small diversion after 40 odd KM to hit the Mysore road and then all the way till the waterfalls.

Road conditions were decent for most part and went from bad to worse as we approached the falls. Everytime I drive to Chennai, I feel should have bought a sedan. This drive validated my choice for a Crossover with good GC. Many a times I ran over unmarked speedbreakers and at one place the road just dropped. One thing is clear, going out on Indian highways, having higher GC is a must

We started at about 7:30 and reached the falls at 11:30 including breakfast halt at A2B on Mysore road near Biddadi. After good breakfast and a refreshing coffee we headed on our way.

Traffic was horrible and I felt throughout the drive I was driving in city and not highway. For once I felt happy that my car does not have the Cruise Control. I could not hit 120 even once and for a good time was less than 100 and on 5th gear. Needless to say the pathetic traffic sense on our roads, I was almost rammed by an oncoming tempo on one undivided road.

While going I used Sports mode and coming back used City mode throughout and drove calmly. Took 3.5 hours coming back with little photo break.

Total distance covered 320KM. Total drive time: 7 hours. Total FE: 24.5 (MID) should be 21 or so in actual. DTE+ trip showed 803KM at the end of trip

Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20190819wa0022.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20190819wa0031.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20190819wa0032.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20190819wa0035.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20190819wa0024.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20190819wa0043.jpg  

Last edited by aniyo : 20th August 2019 at 14:47.
aniyo is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 17:39   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Mini drive on Saturday to Sivasamundra falls.

We had originally decided on Pondi but we felt it would have been very crowded so dropped it. After searching for day trips around bangalore, this seemed a decent option.
Ahh absolute eye feast!

I envy you Bangalore, Pune folks. You got lot of options for a weekend getaway unlike us from Hyderabad. We got pretty limited options with unbearable traffic. Last couple of weekends, Srisailam and Sagar Dams witnessed peak traffic. It took almost 11 hours for some folks which ideally is a 4 hour drive
SpideyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 18:06   #2525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk.93 View Post
Question to the Nexon P owners.
On hard acceleration, revving the motor to the redline, I have noticed that after a particular rpm there is crazy vibration. I could feel the car shaking. Has anyone felt that ?
Also, there's a delay when I press the A pedal fully for that quick acceleration and the engine's response to it. Any ideas ?

P.S - RPM is above 2000 so no point of lugging or lagging.

this is pretty old question, but i am concerned about this behaviour. was it ever resolved, perhaps after few service visits? can gk.93 or anyone else confirm this please?
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:53   #2526
BHPian

Having driven my diesel AMT for ~5000kms these are the issues that I am facing and need to be addressed by Tata folks.
1. Flywheel vibration, faint metal to metal rubbing sound coming from gearbox in sport mode and during brisk acceleration.
2. AC cooling, blower fan speed intermittent malfunction with less airflow which I think is due to freezing of evaporator coil.
3. Jerk in 3rd-4th automatic gear change.
Regarding the Engine Jerking I had already applied the latest ECM update during my previous service which fixed violent jerking (like the vehicle is starving of fuel).
There is also a vibration of dashboard on passenger side; I am kind of reluctant to have them touch the dashboard because it feels very scratch prone even with a firm push of the finger especially the glossy black area.
But otherwise the vehicle feels excellent and comfortable on the highway and the pothole ridden city roads.
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:25   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post
Still, I wasnt satisfied with their answer and on the Quality of the Glass and thats mainly because of my previous experience with my Ford Fiesta(10+ years of ownership).
I don't have a Nexon, but I do have an 8-year old Vista that's done 150k kms. I do have a fair amount of experience with glass however and believe it or not, I have replaced the front windshield of the Vista after a mango fell on the glass from a very large old tree under which I used to park my car every day. It resulted in a blunt impact but a crack nevertheless.

Glass is very strong when it is kept vertically but the least when it's horizontal. So, the inclined windshield is somewhere in between. The speed and point of impact for breakage or shattering also matters. If you get a stone hit towards the ends of the windshield, chances are that the glass will chip rendering it extremely weak and prone to a crack. However, if it's more towards the middle, the safety glass will shatter into small chips. A thicker or thinner glass doesn't necessarily make a difference here. That's an innate property of glass.

Some manufacturers use lesser thickness of glass to reduce costs and weight. Check most lower end or the 'Kitna deta hai' cars and check your Nexon. You will understand what I'm saying.

Last edited by discoverwild : 23rd August 2019 at 09:27.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:37   #2528
BHPian

A quick review video of upgraded 7” Infotainment System.

arungeorge is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 19:05   #2529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
A quick review video of upgraded 7” Infotainment System.
Thanks for this.
As expected, just 0.5 inches of increase diagonally doesn't appear that significant to the naked eye. However from a specification point of view, "7" Touchscreen" appears far better in the brouchure so right move.
I wonder why they skimped and saved on .5" in the first place. Should have been 7" to start off with.

The interface software is made to look like the one in Harrier. Looks nice and makes Nexon that much more "baby Harrier".

But again - I like the current "old" one on the Nexon I have. The updated one has too much blue for my liking just like Harrier. The dark mainly black one in my version appears more sober IMO.
I really hope this blue version does NOT find its way to my "older" 6.5" system.

Interface still seems similarly (sometimes less) sensitive to light touch as present model.

Last edited by Reinhard : 23rd August 2019 at 19:06.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 19:14   #2530
BHPian

Has anyone figured out a way to fix this error for music app selection in android auto using touch screen.
The error looks like this "Spotify/Gaana/Amazon music does not seem to be working at the moment"
I am forced to make selection from cellphone and directly launch the music app from there.
I don't want to go with the latest version of software update because it disables auto door lock functionality, what I have is the one prior to that.
Old 23rd August 2019, 19:42   #2531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to fix this error for music app selection in android auto using touch screen.
The error looks like this "Spotify/Gaana/Amazon music does not seem to be working at the moment"
I am forced to make selection from cellphone and directly launch the music app from there.
I don't want to go with the latest version of software update because it disables auto door lock functionality, what I have is the one prior to that.
The fix for that is in your phone actually. Here's what will fix it for you -
  1. Disconnect from car & use phone standalone
  2. Open Android Auto on the phone
  3. Go to the Settings menu of Android Auto app
  4. If not already done - enable "Developer Options". Similar to Android - do this by tapping multiple times on Version details.
  5. Once enabled - inside settings screen, tap the 3 vertical dots in top right
  6. You'll now see "Developer Settings" in the popup menu
  7. In Developer Settings, right at the bottom you'll see "Unknown Sources". Check this box.
  8. Now close Android Auto on phone.
  9. Restart car HU, then connect the USB cable again & tap YES for Android Auto on the HU

Now you should see Spotify properly in the ICE HU directly . Worked alright for me.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 22:29   #2532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
I am forced to make selection from cellphone and directly launch the music app from there
What worked for me was to set an the required apps to have autostart permission in app permissions.

That said, I have a larger issue of AA crashing with unrecoverable error after a few minutes of running.
Glass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 22:40   #2533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
What worked for me was to set an the required apps to have autostart permission in app permissions.

That said, I have a larger issue of AA crashing with unrecoverable error after a few minutes of running.
Yes, I had als enabled auto start but that didn't fix. Needed the above steps in addition.

Are you using the original data cable that came with your phone?
Weirdly, this happens with my AA when I use any other (still from well rated brands) cable but my phone's original cable.

By chance do you have any apps like Whatsapp running in dual-app mode? That is known to freak AA app out. It will happen in any car in that case. Issue of AA that Google is not able to fix yet.
Old 23rd August 2019, 22:43   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Yes, I had als enabled auto start but that didn't fix. Needed the above steps in addition.

Are you using the original data cable that came with your phone?
Weirdly, this happens with my AA when I use any other (still from well rated brands) cable but my phone's original cable.

By chance do you have any apps like Whatsapp running in dual-app mode? That is known to freak AA app out. It will happen in any car in that case. Issue of AA that Google is not able to fix yet.
I used the original and some other good cables too - no luck.

Actually it got worse with the last HU firmware update!

No dual apps for me.
Glass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 22:48   #2535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
I used the original and some other good cables too - no luck.

Actually it got worse with the last HU firmware update!

No dual apps for me.
I'm inclined to think it's actually stability/compatibility issue with AA on phone rather than the HU firmware.

Reason - I had the issue you mentioned often with my Sony XAV AX5000 that i had for 7-8 months till 2 weeks back in my previous car. Software updates on the HU didn't fix it.

But intermittent AA updates via play store on the phone used to fix it (and break after another update).

I still use the same phone. Interesting to see how it goes with firmware update in car that I will do in 1st service next weekend or so.

Thanks for this pointer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks