Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2019, 11:08   #2881
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
No, I know the safety issues having a sunroof and a kid standing. However, with good measures and know how of where and how to use, it will be some good fun for the kid.

Thanks for your concern.
Hi, as a father to an 8 year old whose peers are allowed to jut out of the sunroof, I have had long arguments but put my foot down and told him that there will be ABSOLUTELY no standing out of the sunroof.

Sorry if this seems like unwanted advice but there is no 'good measure' in this context. Even if moving at 5kmph it is a bad idea. Arguably the only 'good measure' is if the vehicle is absolutely standstill, parking brakes on, then maybe.

PLEASE don't ever do it, a vehicle moving even at 5kmph has a lot of kinetic force and can prove very risky for a tender child.

Have a sunroof? Pull it open if the weather is good, look out of it in the night (when it is closed) or whatever but never ever encourage ANYONE to stand up from it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd December 2019 at 13:48. Reason: Fixed typos.
Stribog is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 18:07   #2882
BHPian

I agree with Stribog. A very close friends son lost partial vision in a eye when he was sticking his head out of the sunroof and a very very tiny stone/dust particle went in his eyes and he rubbed it too hard due to the itch causing severe damage. You allow the kid ones and trust me, you'll have a crazy hard time to say him NO the next time. Unfortunately, for many parents, its a proud thing to say that "hamaraa ladka toh bindaas sunroof me se bahar nikalkar khada rehta hai". God knows what gives them pride in saying this. The more stupid things the kid does, the more proud parents feel these days and brag about it.
Dieselritzer is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 18:57   #2883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
God knows what gives them pride in saying this. The more stupid things the kid does, the more proud parents feel these days and brag about it.
I'm happy I was curbed from a lot of things as a kid, at that age we simply don't have the wisdom. The old fashioned Indian parenting works best, girls today have more liberty to do adventurous things than I at that age.

Having a sunroof is about as weird as having a sky-light at home, not saying they shouldn't exist but the question still begs to be asked.. why? If one wants the sky one can step out and look up. We are too busy shoving our face down over the phones at that point.

There is a famous car "ass-ess-sorrys" YouTuber based in Delhi who said and I quote almost verbatim "accha khasa jagah sunroof ke liye bhi diya gaya hai, khada hoke bahar dekh sakte hain".. at that point I was thinking buddhi gaya tel lene.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 19:02   #2884
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, let us give VWAllStar some space here. He has said he is aware of the dangers. Looking at his response I would assume that he wont let his kids stand up poking their heads out of the sun-roof. It could be outside the city, in some scenic location or elsewhere.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 19:31   #2885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Brake discs have rust on them. Have asked the SA to get it cleaned off before delivery. Funnily enough, he mentioned, it will wear off on its own.
Bad part: all Tata cars show this, wonder why and that too with daily running cars. It cannot go away and I always worry if that rust is deep enough should not cause any breakdown. To add I have not seen this on Maruti, Hyundai and Honda. I never let the cars rest for more than a week. It could be the design exposing more horizontal portion resulting in rust. My Tiago is 6 months old now and am seeing similar rust from day one. Bad as it looks.
Old 23rd December 2019, 19:53   #2886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Bad part: all Tata cars show this, wonder why and that too with daily running cars. It cannot go away and I always worry if that rust is deep enough should not cause any breakdown. To add I have not seen this on Maruti, Hyundai and Honda. I never let the cars rest for more than a week. It could be the design exposing more horizontal portion resulting in rust. My Tiago is 6 months old now and am seeing similar rust from day one. Bad as it looks.
Brake Disc are cast Iron, it will rust easily and nothing to do with Tata Motors.
All cars have this rust, irrespective of the manufacturer and it has nothing to do with part quality.
speedmiester is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 20:28   #2887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bad part: all Tata cars show this,
Wrong on that. It is normal, and across brands.

btw, Even our Maruti OE discs show this.
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 22:50   #2888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bad part: all Tata cars show this
FYI only

The disc can rust from moisture in the air if not used for few days.
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...t-matter-.html
Quote:
brake rotor surfaces may become covered in a thin film of rust if the vehicle is parked outside during a rainstorm or heavy snowfall. Moisture coats the surface of the steel brake rotor, leaving a very thin layer of rust behind. But not to worry—this form of rust is no cause for alarm. Since it’s a thin layer and exists only at the surface of the steel rotor, it will disappear after a few moments of driving as the brake pads rub it off. Every time you press the brakes, the brake pads clean the engaged surface of the brake rotors of contaminants, including light surface rust.

Last edited by jeepster : 23rd December 2019 at 22:52.
jeepster is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 20:44   #2889

For information, re Nexon XZA plus PEPS keys. Recently my car doors wouldn't open in spite of holding the wristband remote as close as possible to the button on the door lock (drivers side). Fortunately, my wife had the key fob remote in her bag and it worked just to open the door and start the car. The car was delivered late October last year and it can be seen that by December 2019 the battery in both remotes has drained. So as a precaution I suggest that remote batteries be replaced in 12 months. The wristband remote requires a CR1632 battery and requires an M2 screwdriver and is easy to replace the battery once the back is removed. The key fob remote is a bit more fiddly to get to the battery and requires a CR2032 battery. Hope this information helps
Edaks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 00:46   #2890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
During my test drive, I felt that the seats are on the softer side. I fear that this might result in back pain on longer rides. Can any owner share your experience?
The odometer in my Nexon reads 6000+ and it includes a round trip of 2200+ kms. from Hyd->Bglr-> Wayanad and back with a full load of 5 adults.Among the 5 were my parents both aged 70+. Not once did they complain of back pain. Yes..space was an issue as there was a 6th passenger ..a kid of 8 years esp. so because we ensured that the 5 wore the seat belts for sure for every km of the 2200+ kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Yup. Exactly the reason we walked off. The rear seats are too soft and reminded me of the zest(the reason wse sold the zest in 7minths was poor back seat cushion support. Too soft and terrible seats).

The seats in my rigor xz+are limo like in comparison.
Not sure about the Zest,but for Nexon,atleast for me it was a different..good experience. Looks like i got the better lot.I hope it does not deteriorate.Apparently body structure of passengers varies and probably that has got a role to play.Yes,getting into and coming out into the car is not as easy as say a Wagon R,but once inside we found it to be comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Well, zest was exactly the other car that I tested along with Nexon. And I noticed the same issue. Nexon seat was firmer than the Zest though. So I think 5-10 km trips should be ok. Will a tight fitting seat cover make it firmer? I am concerned because I have booked the Nexon EV.
If the seating set-up has not been changed in the EV,then i really don't think you will regret your decision.My car has black-grey colour fabric seats as stock and i personally feel they are asthetically good.However to each his own. If you really want to put in a seat cover ,then also think about putting a very thin layer of foam on two main seats at the rear..not in the mid-seat area..as the middle is a bit raised and the passenger sitting here will not be as comfortable as those sitting in the sides. Then have the covers on top.With the two sides raised a bit with foam,the seat will be just like a sofa ! I had done something similar with my earlier car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Is the Nexon top end Petrol Manual good for a couple in their early 30's, a baby (who would grow quick) and an elderly couple?

Looking for an ownership of 10 years. Will Tata after sales service be good to make the car livable for a decade? Most importantly stress and hassle free?

Since the baby is growing, intend to get the sunroof installed from the company. Is it reliable? What is the cost? Anyone who has done it? Leakage?

Would appreciate thoughts from owners of Nexon.
I own a Nexon top end. From your statement i presume you are a family of 5.We seem to be in the same boat with respect to requirements.I have completed 2 free services and one extra soft recall visit. Atleast with my service centre..except that the first time they caused a delay in servicing..i ensure that im at the service centre and bay for the entire 4 hours when they are with my car . and i made an issue of it,i have had a wonderful experience.I really get treated well. Post service they call me and ask for the experience and offer to have a free pick up and drop just in case im not happy with anything related to the service, 10 / 10. It depends a lot on the relationship you have with the service manager. I own a Maruti and over the past 12 years .have owned a TATA (xeta for 5 years), Renault and Toyota. Experience has been the best with TATA.Probably im lucky that i got the better service centres. Don't know. So probably TASS has a problem but i think we should not generalise it.

I got a 2 years Standard warranty and i also took the extended warranty of 2 more years.Now Tata is offerring the EW even for the 5th year and im going to buy it. So that ensures peace of mind for 5 years atleast.

As for Sun-roof,it is a strict no-no for me.Have heard horror stories of lives lost due to having one's head dangling out of the roof.But again,there are many fans of the feature in this forum.If i remember right,i think it costs around 16k.You can check the details in the Tata accessories website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
So today for the first time I test drove a petrol AMT. My dad and wife accompanied me. Below are my observations:

- 3 adults at the back is a squeeze for sure. Folks in the corner don't get proper back cushioning. Tigor fared better due to the stretched seats whose cushioning touches the doors......The car felt EXTREMELY JERKY. I'm not exaggerating. In B2B traffic it's logic of shifting from 1st to 2nd was extremely erratic. ......... The AMT box had a mind of its own and I found it extremely irritating. Frankly it was such a disappointing experience because I was negotiating prices for a petrol AMT but after this experience I'm just put off for buying a petrol AMT. Their diesel AMT is wayy smoother to drive. I tried all the modes, including manual mode on AMT but nothing improved the gear shift logic...- Petrol AMTs engine NVH is terrible. Tigors engine felt way more silent and refined. Turbo the culprit here ?...Tomorrow we'll be driving the Glanza CVT and Brezza AMT.
My experience of being the owner of a Nexon XZA+ (Petrol AMT) for the past 6 months:
1) 3 adults at the back: I would say for normal sized passengers it is not exactly a squeeze. The issue according to me is that the mid part of the seat is raised a bit and the blower juts back a little.Due to this it is not a flat bench seat..like say a Duster and hence the mid-passenger will not be as comfortable as those sitting in the sides.I have mentioned a workaround for the same in a point above.

2) AMT has a mind of its own : You are absolutely right.It is a problem.Tata needs to do something about it.My Wagon R AMT in comparison is so much better.

3) Manual mode does not help: I would beg to differ here. Manual mode is as good as those you can get in any manuals at this price range.

4) NVH is terrible: I wouldn't say it is terrible but yes..i would have expected a more silent set-up from a petrol. Then i think of the multiple test drives i took of the Ecosport and i start smiling.

5) Glanza and Brezza AMT:I bet you will have a better experience wrt.the NVH levels and even the gear shifts.General perception of service is also that it is much better than TATA. I had taken multiple test drives of the same (Baleno instead of Glanza).

For anyone planning on buying a car,my humble advice would be to have a test drive of ALL the cars available in the market in the budget range. There are multiple good ones.At this price bracket the Venue comes first to my mind.If you can spend a couple of lakhs more and open to a different class,then Verna is a great bet (personal opinion). Somewhere in the forum i had given a detailed reasons for buying Nexon and not the other 10+ cars i considered.Check that out.It may be of help.And yes, though my family do not share the same enthusiasm,i LOVE the car.As for issues,like in any machine i do expect the same to crop up with my Nexon as well.But that i have got even in my Toyota !!

Last edited by Ram78 : 29th December 2019 at 00:53.
Ram78 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 18:51   #2891
BHPian

Guys got my Nexon XZ+ Petrol serviced a few days ago. It was a minor service and 4th service actually to put it precisely. Did not have much to do with the car apart from updating the ICE and BCM along with a few replacements.Over all the experience was good as always with the service centre i go to. So here are a few observations/questions regarding the work done.

1. I was charged around 1500/- for the 4th service which is a minor service. Was it supposed to be free in the first place i would like my fellow users to tell me. 590/- was charged for the service and the rest was charged for some replacements. The tyre lining in front of rear tyre was broken somehow last week so wanted to get it replaced which cost me 477/- and the remaining amount was charged for AC Filter change as it was not giving full blown air from the centre vents.

2. ICE was updated to April 2019 version and BCM was updated too. Not sure they updated it in the first place as i didn't have the information about the previous version of the BCM. Is there a way to find the current version on BCM directly at home or its not possible.

3. Since they said BCM was updated i had to believe them though i wasn't so sure about any change being made with the BCM but i felt some change in driving dynamics of the car. The car was moving and pulling much smoothly and power had become more linear and smooth. Plus i felt the gearing was more precise and slick after the update. Even the lag felt lesser now in lower RPMS. Is it me only who felt so or actually there is a change in driving dynamics of the car.

4. A strange thing i observed today after i parked my car outside my office. When i unlocked the door to come out of the car the music system didn't switch off at all even when i locked the car after coming out of it. I tried to check it again but no different result. Had to manually switch it off before locking the car. Has anybody else observed such a case with their music system so far.

5. Last but not the least i had read somewhere on this forum that the new BCM update had the Auto Folding ORVM activated in the latest build. I was looking forward to that but was disappointed as the ORVM didn't fold even when i locked the car so is it actually available in the new update or i read it wrong somewhere.
Syed Monis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 00:27   #2892
BHPian

While going through Nexon's brochure I noticed that the automatic variant geta 215/65 even in XMA variant and manual gets 195/60 from XE to XZ. Could there be any AMT specific reason for that? Have missed a lot of posts on this review and hence don't know if it's covered already

Here's a screenshot of the same from the brochure
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-20191231_002527.jpg  

Old 31st December 2019, 03:06   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed Monis View Post

2. ICE was updated to April 2019
The latest version available for the infotainment system is R15.20 // Release date 23 July 2019.

Quote:

Since they said BCM was updated I had to believe them though I wasn't so sure about any change being made with the BCM I felt some change in driving dynamics of the car.
It looks like for your car, they updated both, BCM & ECU. BCM controls functions related to the car body such as Lights, ORVM, etc. So when you say that the ORVMs are not folding so yes BCM has been updated and thus the AutoFolding ORVM and Speed Sensing Door Locking are gone.

I went for the third service a couple of days back and specifically asked them not to touch BCM at all for the same reason.

Quote:
music system didn't switch off at all even when i locked the car after coming out of it
Try to perform a factory reset on the system once. I always do it after I get the software updated/flashed.

Last edited by racsaxen : 31st December 2019 at 03:09.
racsaxen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 08:22   #2894
Senior - BHPian

Recently completed a 400 kilometres trip in Nexon petrol, manual transmission.
Consistent speeds of 100-110 kmph saw the Nexon return a tankfull to tankfull fuel consumption of 16.0kmpl. All through "Sports" mode. MID was displaying 17.5kmpl.
The 6th ratio is a very useful cruising tool. At 100 kmph, the engine spins over at a mere 2000-2200 rpm.
High speed ride comfort is also commendable. The vehicle is very stable. Body control over sudden dips and crests are very well controlled. The suspension didn't bottom out anywhere.
The steering weighed up sufficiently at high speeds and provided a surprising level of feedback and accuracy when attacking long, sweeping corners.
Wind noise was well controlled as well.
Overall, i would say the Nexon is a comfortable cruiser indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20191230_1607240101.jpeg  

arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 08:28   #2895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. ICE was updated to April 2019 version and BCM was updated too. Not sure they updated it in the first place as i didn't have the information about the previous version of the BCM. Is there a way to find the current version on BCM directly at home or its not possible.
5. Last but not the least i had read somewhere on this forum that the new BCM update had the Auto Folding ORVM activated in the latest build. I was looking forward to that but was disappointed as the ORVM didn't fold even when i locked the car so is it actually available in the new update or i read it wrong somewhere.
I don't think you are on the latest version still. Ask them to patch the ICE & BCM again. The latest version is 15.2x. My car has July 2019 build 15.20. This & the current version with the BCM do fold the mirrors upon lock. Mirrors unfold only when the ignition is turned on & not unlock - which is correct.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks