Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2020, 16:32   #2926

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Is Nexon Petrol a good choice for city usage at all?
Unfortunately I have been driving it only for a week or so, So can't comment much.

Regarding mileage, I am getting very low (~8 kmpl) and it might improve after initial service. Although, I don't expect it to be good due to the turbo, weight and wide tyres (It is wider than a hatchback, I mean)

Coming from driving Chevy Beat, main issue I have felt is that the low end performance is not good below 1500 rpm. Down shift to 1st is often required at speed breakers, crawling traffic etc. Not sure if this is due to the 3 cylinder engine or the heavy weight or me not knowing how to drive.
Bagheera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 17:22   #2927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
Coming from driving Chevy Beat, main issue I have felt is that the low end performance is not good below 1500 rpm. Down shift to 1st is often required at speed breakers, crawling traffic etc. Not sure if this is due to the 3 cylinder engine or the heavy weight or me not knowing how to drive.
Two things. Turbo is one and 3 cyl is the other. Even for Tiago I face same if the speed falls below 10kmph. I am driving Ertiga with 1.4 liter engine (4 cyl) and have driven Santro (4 cyl ), Estilo (3 cyl). All 3 cyl seem to have same issue. Turbo is an added thing due to less capacity engine on a big car.
I am hearing about low mileage of petrol Nexon from multiple sources. Any other petrol nexon owners please comment here on mileage you are getting after long term ownership.
Old 30th January 2020, 21:23   #2928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
.. Any other petrol nexon owners please comment here on mileage you are getting after long term ownership.
After 6500 kms.and 2 services,my Petrol AMT odo panel shows 10.5 kmpl in city and 14+ on highways most of the times.

Query: Will shifting to Manual mode from Auto mode while the vehicle is in motion cause any problem?
Ram78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 18:51   #2929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
Are you having the diesel? I'm trying to drive the petrol below 2000 rpm for break-in and I find the city mode weak below 1500rpm. The sport mode does aid a little bit better in the low rpms.
Silly me! Yes I have the diesel one. Guess in petrol sports mode might be more useful indeed as a regular driving mode to reach the higher torque output quickly.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 18:27   #2930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
After 6500 kms.and 2 services,my Petrol AMT odo panel shows 10.5 kmpl in city and 14+ on highways most of the times.
It has been generally observed (even by me) that the MID FE is quite optimistic, sometimes showing 20% more than real FE.

Quote:
Query: Will shifting to Manual mode from Auto mode while the vehicle is in motion cause any problem?
No problem expected, the mode is not mechanically connected to the gearbox but just like a switch to the electronics commanding the shifts.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 23:47   #2931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
It has been generally observed (even by me) that the MID FE is quite optimistic, sometimes showing 20% more than real....
Don't say that please..I know it.Let me live in my make believe world with the FE numbers In any case anyone out there who has calculated the FE using the T2T method in Petrol AMT?

One of the reasons I did not consider Hyundai's were the reported pathetic Fe in automatics..something in 6s . If you tell me that Nexon is close to that ,it will be very difficult to comfort myself !
Old 4th February 2020, 15:32   #2932
BHPian

Quote:
Don't say that please..I know it.Let me live in my make believe world with the FE numbers In any case anyone out there who has calculated the FE using the T2T method in Petrol AMT?

One of the reasons I did not consider Hyundai's were the reported pathetic Fe in automatics..something in 6s . If you tell me that Nexon is close to that ,it will be very difficult to comfort myself !
8-11 KMPL - T2T for Petrol Auto in the City
12-14 KMPL - T2T for highways

This is with Eco/City mode for city driving and Sport mode used only during Highway runs. I use the Fuelio App for all fuel ups, and it currently shows average of 10.72 KMPL for the 28000 kms i have covered with 60% City and 40% Highway driving.

In order of preference I use MRPL, Essar, Shell and BP fuels based on availability and location.
ananthacharya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 14:29   #2933

I bought a used one and a half year petrol Nexon AMT (XZA+). I am facing an issue on cold start. The car literally jumps forward when I release the brake pedal. In my tight parking space, this is turning to be a nightmare. However slow I try to release the brake, I am experiencing this forward jerk which seems very difficult to control. I went to the service centre and the SM is saying this is a usual behaviour and many Nexon car owners have complained.

Could anyone with petrol Nexon can comment?
Old 6th February 2020, 23:47   #2934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince1a View Post
I bought a used one and a half year petrol Nexon AMT (XZA+). I am facing an issue on cold start. The car literally jumps forward when I release the brake pedal. In my tight parking space, this is turning to be a nightmare. However slow I try to release the brake, I am experiencing this forward jerk which seems very difficult to control. I went to the service centre and the SM is saying this is a usual behaviour and many Nexon car owners have complained.

I too own the same petrol XZA+ i.e.the AMT but never faced any such start issue. I stay in Hyderabad,so the level of ' cold' would be similar to Kochi which I believe is where you are from based on your handle.Is this issue only during a cold start ?

I have a feeling that this is because of your driving style.Are you new to AMTs?Nexon's AMT tuning is nothing to write about but that is experienced during driving and not when starting.
Old 7th February 2020, 08:27   #2935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is a simple rule to follow for AT cars. Always start the car with brake pressed hard. Then release the brake slowly when you move in "D", I mean get used to that. All cars have some fuel supply to engine in all gears. For MT cars even if you do not accelerate car can move forward in first/second gear with proper clutch control.
What you could do probably is to get the mapping table checked at service center for this. It should not "jump" but forward movement is very much expected as soon as you put in "D" and release the brake.
Old 7th February 2020, 09:05   #2936
BHPian

Having driven the Nexon petrol AMT quite a lot recently I can vouch that it doesn't really jump. It starts a gradual crawl and then even a tiny A input makes it rolling and then a noticeable head nod and you're in 2nd gear. From there onwards it's smooth.
Dieselritzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 16:08   #2937
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, i have faced this as well. Reduce the torque by putting it into Eco mode and be gentle on the brake release. I recently got brake pads replaced for free due to AMC for a similar aged Petrol ZXA+ and the issue seems to have been resolved almost completely. So not sure whether i am now used to it, or the brake pads were the culprit.
Old 10th February 2020, 17:22   #2938
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Tyres

Which brand tyres should I consider for Nexon XZ+, my priority being less noise with safety, used 70-80% on tolled highway roads and the rest on city roads?
Old 10th February 2020, 17:40   #2939

I have Nexon XMA (D), When starting in morning as I turn the key the Heater Plug light stays for around 3 secs and after starting it appears again for 1-2 secs and then disappears. Is this normal in Nexon. In my other Diesel cars heater plug light comes for less than a second and doesn't come up again after starting. Talked to service advisor and he said this is in every Nexon. Went to Shimla recently and the vehicle refused to start. Took 4-5 attempts to start it, this happened to one of my friend as well in his Hexa. Are heater plugs of low quality or something. Never happened to me in other Diesel cars even in Himachal.
Old 11th February 2020, 19:14   #2940
Distinguished - BHPian

Has any owner here tried to install after-market (AliExpress ) auto-dimming IRVM in their Nexon? Its something I'm thinking of doing since some days as my next update on the already modded up car. Will be a very useful thing to have. I'm not too happy with the flippy mechanism as when coming back to "day mode" - the mirror position changes and I have to adjust it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katochrishi View Post
I have Nexon XMA (D), When starting in morning as I turn the key the Heater Plug light stays for around 3 secs and after starting it appears again for 1-2 secs and then disappears. Is this normal in Nexon. In my other Diesel cars heater plug light comes for less than a second and doesn't come up again after starting.
This is normal. Not just Nexon, but in fact to almost all diesel cars. I'm a bit surprised that your previous diesel cars had a shorter duration.

General advise is not to crank the car till the glow plug light goes off. They are heating up the chamber/fuel mixture for optimum temperature for startup. Its like an oven pre-heat. In my car the light also comes up after startup for a few seconds further. Since I idle for about a minute after startup, it doesn't make any difference anyway.

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th February 2020 at 19:19.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks