Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2020, 10:06   #3001
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
While the distance specification was fine, I too think that the time duration is quite early. While one can say that the duration is due to the car having a belt instead of a chain, Tata could have put in a better quality belt, may be ?

Having said that, the Timing belt specification for the Zest / Bolt must be 2 years - the one not-so-good thing about that car.
19K is about par for the part as compared to other Tata cars. Again, would have liked it if Tata had kept it lower.
Zest has timing chain, and the recommended replacement of kit is 60,000 km for the 90 ps diesel, and 1,05,000 km for the 75 ps engine. And the replacement cost, inclusive of spares and labour, was about Rs. 7,800/-. I do not recollect about the time period for replacement. In any case, I clocked 60,000 km in 33 months.

36 month interval is ridiculous, especially when it doesn't take into consideration the kilometres run. And the cost is very high, comparatively.

I remember going through a friend's Etios manual, and I am sure I didn't see replacement requirement below 1,00,000 km.
simplyself is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 11:13   #3002
Distinguished - BHPian

Then wonder where did I get this information ?? I was partially interested in the Zest/Bolt in between, and had read something to this effect - shorter interval for the Timing Belt.

Sorry, folks.
Old 16th March 2020, 11:34   #3003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
36 month interval is ridiculous, especially when it doesn't take into consideration the kilometres run. And the cost is very high, comparatively.
In the case of Nexon, its not just the timer belt. The entire kit is to be replaced including the tensioner and the idler pulley. That is why it costs nearly 19K.
Old 16th March 2020, 12:20   #3004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
In the case of Nexon, its not just the timer belt. The entire kit is to be replaced including the tensioner and the idler pulley. That is why it costs nearly 19K.

I meant the entire kit including the belt, tensioner and other spares. Actually, it is better to replace all the related parts when going for the replacement job.

However, its still very expensive, more so because of the relatively low time period of 36 months.

And this is for diesel Nexon, I guess.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th March 2020 at 14:07. Reason: Line spacing.
Old 16th March 2020, 13:51   #3005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Then wonder where did I get this information ?? I was partially interested in the Zest/Bolt in between, and had read something to this effect - shorter interval for the Timing Belt.
Most importantly - these cars in diesel avatar run with the 1.3 MJD, so there is no timing belt. Its a chain drive. Generally no replacement is needed even after 100K kms if used well without any abuse.

There is no specific interval that MUST be followed (regardless of what the manual may say for different cars as car makers have the liberty to print anything). The FIAT engine generally is simply inspected after 80K odd KMs or so for excess rattle/vibrations. If found in order, the chain isn't touched.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 14:54   #3006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Most importantly - these cars in diesel avatar run with the 1.3 MJD, so there is no timing belt. Its a chain drive. Generally no replacement is needed even after 100K kms if used well without any abuse.
That's true, my old Swift diesel ran 1.4L kms without any issues till I sold it off. Unless any problems crop up, no change in chain needed.
asethi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 15:59   #3007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post

I had to drop Nexon because of limited rear headroom.
Hi
We have been using nexon as a family car for about 2 months now. My parents have never had any issues with rear headroom. I'd advice you to please check nexon in person again.
Have been super comfortable with nexon as compared to my brother-in-law's brezza vdi.
Torq is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 16:28   #3008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Hi
We have been using nexon as a family car for about 2 months now. My parents have never had any issues with rear headroom. I'd advice you to please check nexon in person again.
Have been super comfortable with nexon as compared to my brother-in-law's brezza vdi.
Hey thanks for the info. In what aspects did you find the nexon more comfortable than brezza?

When I say rear headroom, my main concern is to fit in my daughter in the car seat for which I have to bend over in the rear of the car. Won't the swooping roof-line affect that?
Old 16th March 2020, 16:49   #3009
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks for the info. In what aspects did you find the nexon more comfortable than brezza?

When I say rear headroom, my main concern is to fit in my daughter in the car seat for which I have to bend over in the rear of the car. Won't the swooping roof-line affect that?
Nexon is much more refined and smoother to drive. Also, seat ergonomics are much improved over brezza.
Swooping roof line can be deceptive, inner space is in no way compromised.

A few posts from tbhp itself for your perusal. I still think you should check it out firsthand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post
.... Head space is good though despite the sloping roofline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manjunag View Post

Rear seats are comfortable to seat 3 medium built persons (75-85kgs) with good thigh support (5.6 to 6ft). Even though Nexon has the sloping roofline towards rear side, the headroom & shoulder room too are sufficient to accommodate 6 feet guys.
Torq is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 20:20   #3010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I use this seat in my Nexon -

Amazon.in - Graco Affix

My son (4 years) sits only in this and is fully buckled in for absolutely any journey. I am 6'3" myself. Yet have not even once had any issue in placing him in / taking him out or buckling up the seat belt. If you need, I can share a picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Nexon is much more refined and smoother to drive.
Its a tough one between the Nexon & Brezza. Suzuki petrol engines are hard to outright beat when it comes to refinement. However - the Nexon's powerful engine is absolutely fine & is also quite fuel efficient! So not a huge compromise of any sort.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th March 2020 at 20:22.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 21:01   #3011
BHPian

Quote:
I use this seat in my Nexon -

Amazon.in - Graco Affix

My son (4 years) sits only in this and is fully buckled in for absolutely any journey. I am 6'3" myself. Yet have not even once had any issue in placing him in / taking him out or buckling up the seat belt. If you need, I can share a picture.

Its a tough one between the Nexon & Brezza. Suzuki petrol engines are hard to outright beat when it comes to refinement. However - the Nexon's powerful engine is absolutely fine & is also quite fuel efficient! So not a huge compromise of any sort.
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply with respect to car seat especially with a 4 year old.
Glad that I posted this on tbhp.

Will definitely check out the nexon this weekend.
ank.nsit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 21:25   #3012
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed another DIY on my Nexon. Installed an auto-dimming IRVM. A much needed update.

Here is a list of DIY projects completed on the car so far -
  1. Auto dimming IRVM

2. HID Bi-Xenon projector fog lamps (Tata Nexon DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps installation)

3. OEM rear fog light (DIY: Tata Nexon XZ+ - Installing OEM Rear Fog Lamp)

4. Osram Xenarc 35W HID low beam headlamp conversion (DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit)
Additionally have also installed a cabin air purifier, 70mai dashcam with GPS & a compass vinyl wrap on the bonnet all by myself. But those are too simple to make a DIY thread.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 22:58   #3013
BHPian

Quote:
Additionally have also installed a cabin air purifier, 70mai dashcam with GPS & a compass vinyl wrap on the bonnet all by myself. But those are too simple to make a DIY thread.
We don't mind having a look at the other DIYs as well.

If not a seperate thread, you can share few pics atleast (if not shared earlier), of the dash cam, vinyl wrap and air purifier, for viewers.
A few lines of description and your observations on each of them, will be helpful too.
DLC5005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 11:17   #3014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
However, its still very expensive, more so because of the relatively low time period of 36 months.
And this is for diesel Nexon, I guess.
Yes. For Diesel Nexon.
I just now talked to the SA in Malik Cars Tolichowki. He says that the timer kit is to be replaced at 3 years, whatever the odo reading may be.

Now problem is like this: I have a gold AMC for 45K Kms or 3 Years, whichever is earlier. My odo reading is 45K Kms in less than 2.5 Years. The SA says that they will not change the timer kit because the car has not completed 3 Years. When the car completes 3 Years, my AMC would have expired, so I would have to pay for the change of timer kit. I am still not sure if the timer kit change would be covered under gold AMC.

In this scenario, the gold AMC is a total waste of money for normal users. In the past 2.5 years, I would have covered 3 major services. They had done just the routine service and oil and filters change in the first 2 major services. My brake pads still look good for another 15-20K Kms. My clutch functions perfectly and this too looks good for another 25K Kms at least (My clutches lasted a minimum of 80K Kms in all my previous cars). Everything else is functioning perfectly normal too. So nothing would need replacement in the current 45K kms service except the routine stuff.

So the total value I receive from the gold AMC will not exceed 20K INR (Including the current 45K service). I paid in excess of 30K INR for the gold AMC, 2.5 Years in advance.

If you are an extremely rough driver and consume a couple of sets of brake pads, and a set or two of clutch within 45K kms, only then go for the Tata gold AMC. Otherwise, P2P is more than enough.
Enobarbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 13:40   #3015
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My friend had recently bought Nexon Petrol XM Jan 20 model. It has speed beeps at 80 and 120 kmph respectively.

However, he says that the car doesn't accelerate more than 80 kmph in any circumstances, other than a downward slope. When asked about the same at TASS, they said, it's a government regulative to speed cap at 80 kmph and they will remove it post 2nd service. I was shocked and I wasn't buying this argument from TASS.

So is it true? Have you had any such experience of Tata capping the speed of a brand new car? Please enlighten.

Sai

Most Viewed