Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2020, 12:57   #3151
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Any nexon owners from Delhi. Need some assistance.
I'm looking for someone who have bought the car from a Tata Motor dealership in NCR. Please PM me or post a reply here and then I will PM you.
Thanx in advance.
Cheers!
chiefpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 14:03   #3152
BHPian

This is the quote I received from the dealer here in Kochi for Nexon Petrol XZ+

Ex-showroom : Rs.9,50,000/-
Temp regn : Rs.160/-
FastTag : Rs.600/-
Road Tax : Rs.1,05,310/-
Discount from TML : Rs.10,000/-

Total on-road price : Rs.10,46,070/-

They had quoted Rs.41k for insurance, but upon checking outside I was quoted Rs.24k by a New India Assurance agent for zero depreciation insurance (1 years comprehensive, 3 years TP), so decided to go with the agent.

Adding the insurance, the OTR price would be Rs.10,70,000/-

We will be booking two Nexons (one for my cousin, same variant). Over the phone, we were told that we will get an additional 10k dealer discount. However, in person, when they came to know that I am not purchasing the insurance from them, they said their 10k discount was on the insurance amount of Rs.41k. So, turned out that the only discount they are offering me is the 10k consumer discount offered by TML.

I went to another dealer, they said Rs.10,46,030 without insurance. A difference of Rs.40/-

Lets see.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 21:28   #3153
BHPian

I'm driving a Nexon XZ+ Diesel from Sept 2019, the car has been running fine without any niggles or major issues. Off late I made an observation, where, if I use the side ORVM button to open or close the mirrors (toggle), the press only works for 3 times. Yes, 4th time onward its stops working. I initially thought the button is faulty.

The car can be in engine started condition or accessory (ignition state), basically the start button is either amber or green, the behavior remains same. It can be replicated every time. It's back operational after I lock the car or do not start is for sometime. Basically till all the component completely powers down I guess. I'm still confused as to what the failure point could be?

I would request, if any one can try it and confirm if its a software thing otherwise I can request the service guys to check accordingly. The fact that it fails consistently on 4th try make me to believe it may be to prevent excessive usage of it, but its hard to believe its intended. I have an upcoming service, do not want them to fiddle with it unless really needed.

Many Thanks!
Old 4th September 2020, 18:17   #3154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
. Off late I made an observation, where, if I use the side ORVM button to open or close the mirrors (toggle), the press only works for 3 times. Yes, 4th time onward its stops working. I initially thought the button is faulty.!
I was baffled just like you when I experienced it for the first time. I thought the ORVM motor went kaput . But then I realized that it is intentionally set this way by Tata. The open close action of ORVM works only for three consecutive times and then it goes to zen mode .

We'll either have to restart the electrical systems once or wait for sometime before we can operate it again (not sure about the exact time span, but it does work after some time).

So, I assume that this is intentionally done to protect the motor of ORVM. Also, I don't find any issues with this setting, because apart from accidentally operating it for three consecutive times and intentionally checking to confirm it once, I didn't end up in a similar situation afterwards.

Hence, nothing to worry about. That is how it functions.

Last edited by Sudarshan_N : 4th September 2020 at 18:30.
Sudarshan_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 20:44   #3155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan_N View Post
So, I assume that this is intentionally done to protect the motor of ORVM. Also, I don't find any issues with this setting, because apart from accidentally operating it for three consecutive times and intentionally checking to confirm it once, I didn't end up in a similar situation afterwards.

Hence, nothing to worry about. That is how it functions.
That's a relief! Yes it's no annoyance in any way, but a mention in the owner's manual will prevent surprises. Thanks for confirming. How's your Nexon doing by the way?
Old 5th September 2020, 02:06   #3156
BHPian

Quote:
That's a relief! Yes it's no annoyance in any way, but a mention in the owner's manual will prevent surprises. Thanks for confirming. How's your Nexon doing by the way?
Yes. They should have mentioned it in the manual.

Regarding my Nexon, i'll be completing 2 years of ownership by October. It's been really good so far and I'm loving every bit of it. But, I did face one major issue that could have easily left me stranded in the middle of highways.

I usually inspect the bonnet area of my vehicle once in few weeks or before a highway drive, to look for any signs of irregularities. During one such inspection, I noticed accumulation of oil along with signs for oil splash on the right side of the engine. Immediately took the vehicle to service center and the source of the leak was identified. It was due to the O-Ring of vacuum pump. The O-Ring gave up within a year .

After much deliberation, it was decided to replace the entire vacuum pump under warranty. But, it took 3 full weeks to come to a conclusion and complete the work.

Apart from this, there is one annoying issue that I'm facing currently.

Hard/ notchy slotting of 3rd gear.

During the initial days, sometimes the gear lever used to completely slip back to neutral from 3rd gear. This was addressed during the 6th month service and it was corrected.

After that, everything was smooth for few months. But for the past 6-8 months, I'm experiencing hard/ notchy slotting of 3rd gear. All other gear shits are perfectly fine.

The hard gear shifts is also specific to certain engine RPM range. Shifting is butter smooth if the engine revvs are close to 2000RPM and it's somewhat notchy/ hard at other RPMs. Sometimes at higher engine revvs (above 3500RPM) the gear refuses to slot completely and it slots only after the engine RPM drops below 2000.

As far as I know, this 3rd gear slotting issue is fairly common in many Nexons. Heck! I even saw this issue in Faisal Khan's review of facelifted Nexon (skip to 19m.30s in the review). He had also faced the issue multiple times during the drive.
Please do something about this Tata.

To correct the gear slotting issue, my SA has adjusted/ aligned the gates during my last service (18th month). Although there is some improvement, it's far from being perfect.

Any pointers in this regard is highly appreciated

Cheers.

Last edited by Sudarshan_N : 5th September 2020 at 02:29.
Sudarshan_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 07:28   #3157

Quote:
I'm driving a Nexon XZ+ Diesel, if I use the side ORVM button to open or close the mirrors (toggle), the press only works for 3 times. Yes, 4th time onward its stops working.
I own Nexon XZ+ diesel from one of the initial batches. I purchased my car in December, 2017 (11/2017 Mfg.). After reading your post, out of curiosity, I tried to fold and unfold ORVMs of my car repeatedly. Surprisingly, I could not find any pattern in the working of the toggle for opening and closing of mirrors. I was able to open and close the mirrors at least 10 times. It is to mention that the software version in my car is of July 2018.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-4389885338db4b61a3a41c118150fa7b.jpeg

My Nexon does not have the auto-fold mirrors activated. Further speed sensitive auto locking of doors work in my car. I like it that way, so I have not bothered to update the infotainment software.

It is just a personal preference, but I do not understand the fascination of auto-folding ORVMs with locking and unlocking of the car. It sure does look cool, however it is a point of failure in my opinion. I seldom close ORVMs of my car, only in case when I have to park in really tight space and I feel that some fool may brush the side mirror off. I have always kept open side mirrors of my motorcycles (Pulsar 220 and Apache RR-310), while I noticed the majority folding their mirrors inwards. It all boils down to what we like in the end. My philosophy, mirrors remains open unless closing them is absolutely required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan_N View Post
During the initial days, sometimes the gear lever used to completely slip back to neutral from 3rd gear.

As far as I know, this 3rd gear slotting issue is fairly common in many Nexons.
I was thinking of sharing this observation of mine with the forum and lo behold, you have discussed the issue. We, in our friend circle own 3 Nexons (2 XZ+ and 1 XM) from the initial batches (2017 and early 2018). So it appears that sometime in 2018, Tata made some changes in the Nexon. Clutch was made lighter and slightly longer in operation, gearshift was considerably softened up (easy and lighter to slot). The clutch in my car is slightly harder and shorter in operation than the Nexons manufactured in late 2018. Further, gears are sure slotting in my car and slightly tighter and short throw to operate. I have faced 3rd gear not slotting issue may be 2 times till date. This I feel may be because I did not press the gear lever in correct gate. Also I have never found gear lever slip into neutral from 3rd or 2nd gear in my car which sometimes does happen in the 2018 and later model Nexons.

I think to battle the popular perception that Tata cars require physical effort to drive, Tata softened things up for Nexon in 2018. I find the steering of later model Nexons also to be a tad bit lighter than my car. Further, sometimes the steering hardens on full lock turns in the new Nexons which has not happened in my car till date. Well they have not messed up everything but have improved some things as well. I find later Nexon models as slightly more free revving and eager to get off the line. While my car feels slightly gruff in comparison and slightly hesitant to get a move on at lower speeds.

So it always is like we lose some and we win some. It is a sad reality that we enthusiasts are a clear minority in the car buyers. The mass market demands fancy blingy features and feather light controls on the cars. Still I find that Tata is one company which does not skimp on the basics. We are living in the age of touchscreen and voice control everything, driving pleasure be damned. Cars are more of a toy to be shown off nowadays, not adrenaline inducing driving machines we enthusiasts want them to be. It is what it is, otherwise we would not have seen such outstanding response on the Kia Sonet thread which is mechanically similar to the Hyundai Venue.
Seenz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 11:18   #3158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dips View Post
I had a weird issue with my XZA infotainment system.
Few days ago, the ICE system work up by itself in my locked Nexon. A neighbor realized and informed me. The car was locked and I remember the system was off when I locked it. Anyways, when I unlocked the car and opened the door, the system switched off itself.
I thought this maybe some SW anomaly and so did not report it.
Couple of days ago, I saw same thing happen in front of me when I locked the car and deliberately waited to notice. In about 4-5 minutes, the screen cane on and started playing radio. The car was still locked and I was outside it.
I noticed that screen briefly showed message "one hour mode ON" when it switched on.
Again it switched off itself on unlocking and opening the driver side door.
I locked the car again and waited few minutes. The system stayed shut.
Today, after 2 days, I realized it may have come on itself. Because the battery is completely dead. I cannot crank my car and had to call Roadside assistance.
Taking the car to service centre and will update on this.
An update on this: The service advisor immediately thought this was some malfunction with driver side door sensor switch. However I did argue that the cabin light or central locking system did not show any problem, which obviously is also connected with this switch. Still, his word was final and I left the car with him since it also needed routine service. Received car after 4 days (they were very busy and understaffed). He had replaced the said switch and the car seemed ok. I checked everything before taking the delivery and also again when I parked my car in building. All was good. However, the same issue came up again last week. So i have now disconnected the battery and will take the car again to service centre tomorrow. I strongly feel some problem with software. The current version is R15.20 dated 23 July 2019
Old 7th September 2020, 10:18   #3159
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the diesel Nexon over the weekend, while the car has a punchy mid-range, the turbo lag was horrible (I am a guy with petrol ownership only so far).

The lag requires significant adjustment to my driving style if I ever own a diesel.

I am officially a "Petrol"-Head I believe!!
Old 7th September 2020, 20:31   #3160

I always wanted to afford an Evoque. Never had the money for it. Hence "TATA" to that dream.

Hello everyone, I'm here to share my complete buying experience of 2020 Nexon XZA+ (O) with you.

Prelude:

I (read as my Dad) started off on Maruti 800 back in 2001. This was our first car and is still going strong!! In 2016, my father upgraded to Ciaz. I was happy with the car but then Bangalore happened. Had to shift here for my job.

For the last 3 years that I had been in Bangalore, my bike fulfilled my commuting and short-travelling needs. It is during the pandemic that a need of a vehicle started to arise. By June end, I had made up my mind about 3 things:
1) I definitely need a car
2) It should not be Maruti as we have had 2 before
3) It should not be a sedan

For reasons unbeknownst to me, I found myself inclined towards sub-compact SUV segment. At this point, I should make it clear that I never liked the pre- 2020 Nexon's design. The front was too bulbous for my liking.

Anyway, with that thought in mind, the R&D started for Petrol automatic models. My main requirements were safety, looks and features, cabin space, rear space comfort and features in that specific order. The contenders were:

1) Ford Ecosport

What I liked?

-The driving dynamics
-Ecosport's strong pedigree

What I didn't like?

-Same age old design
-Ford's feature deletion spree
-Lack of rear space comfort
-Lack of rear ac vents in a 12+ lakh (on road) car

2) Hyundai Venue

What I liked?

-DCT gearbox
-Hyundai's reliability
-The overall fit-n-finish

What I didn't like?

-Size. Looks really tiny when compared to some other sub compact SUVs
-Lack of rear space comfort

3) Mahindra Xuv 300

What I liked?

-Ginormous cabin and rear space
-Above and beyond safety and segment first features

What I didn't like?

- The dashboard design that looked like the dashboard of Captain Vyom's ship (yep, it looks that old to me)
-The boot space or lack of it
-No rear AC vents
-No petrol automatic

4)Nexon 2020

What I liked?

-The new and fresh design
-The cabin space

What I didn't like?

-The AMT gearbox
-Tata's poor after sales and service track record

Why I chose Nexon?

I was completely blown away with the new aka 2020 Nexon's design language.
Fell in love with it the moment I laid my eyes upon the car. As if this was not enough, the moment I sat inside the car, was overwhelmed with the upmarket and premium feel that had been provided. The seating position was on point. High above the ground just like in a proper SUV. The look and feel of the materials inside the cabin were, for me, way above it's class. And dare I say that the 8 speaker Harman-Kardon puts even the audio systems offered in a class above to shame.

Feature wise too, it had all the features that I really needed. A wireless charging might look appealing on brochure, but for me personally, I don't use it ever as the charging is really slow for one. Hence, it was more of a gimmick for me.

Buying experience
After taking a test ride of the XZA+ (O) model, I booked a same form Key Motors Bangalore on 27th July. The delivery was promised on or before 17th August.

But in the second week of August, I was told that the delivery will be delayed by two weeks as the production had stopped due to corona outbreak in the manufacturing plant (someone had tested positive). I really pray for their betterment.
By then, TATA had already increased Nexon's price. Hence, I was told that I would be needing to pay the increased amount as well since the new vehicle would be an AUG model.

Please note that TATA have removed the atrocious 10k handling charges and have adjusted it by increasing the MRP by roughly 15K .

All this made me almost regret my decision of choosing TATA. I was already skeptical after reading thee reviews of its sales/aftersales and service and this certainly wasn't helping.

but since I had already fallen in love with the Nexon, I decided to stick my neck out and go with the flow. Turned out that the production and actually been halted for 2 weeks thereby causing a widespread delay in the deliveries.

On 28th Aug, I was notified by the dealership that thee vehicle had been allotted in my name and it would be reaching their stockyard by 30th. In the following week, I could do the PDI as well.

PDI was done on 2nd Sep and delivery was scheduled for 6th. This delay will be explained further. So please do keep reading

I had already informed the dealership that the loan amount will be disbursed only after the PDI. I expected a few teething issues but to my surprise they agreed right away!

The delivery time was scheduled at 12 PM on 6th. We reached the showroom at around 12 and were done with all the remaining paperwork and ceremonies within 40 minutes! And that, folks, wraps it up.

But wait, there's more :

Showroom experience

Key Motors Bangalore

What I liked?

The sales rep was really patient with all my queries and demands. He never declined any of my requests.

What I l didn't like?

The only thing I think that can be improved is that fact that the sales rep was not very proactive. Every time it was me who was taking the updates even when I was told that I will be given an update. Meaning I had to follow up quite some times to get the latest updates.

And this is an issue which I found quite common across TATA dealerships. For instance, I had Hyundai rep call me up at least thrice a week and he even tried to pursue me to buy a venue when I told that I had zeroed down on a Nexon.

The TATA rep of another dealer that I had visited initially didn't even bother following up with me even when I had clearly told him that I was really interested and had asked him to arrange a TD for me when the automatic variant was available.

Vehicle Details

Model: XZA+ (O) (Petrol)
Color: Calgary White

For some weird reason, TATA chose to go with a grey dual tone roof. I did not like it. Also it was around 22k-25k higher than the single tone. Hence I opted the single tone and asked the dealer to get it customized to a piano black roof.

A decision well made indeed (you'll see why in the pics) .The price quoted for this was 24k but I was manage to negotiate it down to 16K. The car was taken to paint shop post PDI on 2nd and hence the delay in delivery.

Total on road cost including roof coloring and outside insurance: 14,08,000/-

I call her Zoya. And I really hope the pictures do her justice.Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20200906_130005.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20200906_130016.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20200906_141156.jpg
J_K_A is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 00:13   #3161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K_A View Post
I
First congratulations on the getting the car, the car looks smashing in this colour with the contrast roof and the window line blackened, have you done the same for the rear as well? Can you please share some more pictures?

My brother in law is in the process of getting a new car as well and everyday i'm shifting him towards the nexon from the xuv 300 his main issue was with the white window line as well as the rear line, and your pictures really helped.
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 10:33   #3162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
the car looks smashing in this colour with the contrast roof and the window line blackened, have you done the same for the rear as well? Can you please share some more pictures?

...his main issue was with the white window line as well as the rear line, and your pictures really helped.
White Nexon comes with dark grey window strips from factory including the rear.
Old 9th September 2020, 10:57   #3163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K_A View Post
I
4)Nexon 2020

What I liked?

-The new and fresh design
-The cabin space

What I didn't like?

-The AMT gearbox
You will enjoy it, once you master the art of driving an AMT.
I've 2 in my garage, and just love it.

-Tata's poor after sales and service track record
Stick with one SA, and do take the EW and or AMC, install the TMSC app on your phone.
I call her Zoya.
Congrats on getting your Zoya factor

Regards
Vinod
Vinod_nair is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 11:16   #3164

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K_A

I always wanted to afford an Evoque. Never had the money for it. Hence "TATA" to that dream.

Hello everyone, I'm here to share my complete buying experience of 2020 Nexon XZA+ (O) with you.
I also zeroed down on XZA+(O) but considering that XZA+(S) offered everything apart from mobile connectivity, i went for the S model.

Can you please tell how much useful is the mobile connectivity feature? Mahindra konnect first is available in market and I am planning to install the same.

And the black roof with white body paint does look amazing

Thanks
Abhinav466 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 14:06   #3165

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
First congratulations on the getting the car, the car looks smashing in this colour with the contrast roof and the window line blackened, have you done the same for the rear as well? Can you please share some more pictures?

My brother in law is in the process of getting a new car as well and everyday i'm shifting him towards the nexon from the xuv 300 his main issue was with the white window line as well as the rear line, and your pictures really helped.
Thank you so much. Yes I have done the same for the back as well. I didn't quite like the white ceramics. Hence I got them painted black. Will be sharing pics soon.
J_K_A is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks