Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 14:19   #3166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Congratulations on joining the Nexon gang. Wish you & your family unlimited safe & happy miles with this funky little car! Great colour (mine is a Calgary white one too.) & a fabulous finish of the roof in just 16k I must say. And you got it painted. Thats great. So much better than the vinyl wraps generally used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K_A View Post
Thank you so much. Yes I have done the same for the back as well. I didn't quite like the white ceramics. Hence I got them painted black. Will be sharing pics soon.
Did your car come with the strips in white? Calgary white (and previously Etna Orange) come with the strips in grey. One of the reasons for me to pick white over other colours. (The other reason being dust and scratches not being obviously visible on this shade!)
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 14:29   #3167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav466 View Post
I also zeroed down on XZA+(O) but considering that XZA+(S) offered everything apart from mobile connectivity, i went for the S model.

Can you please tell how much useful is the mobile connectivity feature? Mahindra konnect first is available in market and I am planning to install the same.

And the black roof with white body paint does look amazing

Thanks
To be honest, upgrading from (S) to (O) is purely upto you. The reason I upgraded was peace of mind when it comes to security. This vehicle already has a 5-star NCAP rating. And having a connected app that can track your car and give you alerts when it is turned on or is driven outside of the perimeter that you have set, makes it complete in terms of safety and security.

You can also unlock the car, turn on the lights via this app. But for me, they are nothing more than gimmicks.

Other helpful/useful features are the emergency SOS button in the app, the self diagnose button and the service center locator. Go forbid, if you are in any trouble, you can use the SOS button to send message to your contacts. And the service center locator will definitely come in handy if your car breaks down on a trip. The self diagnose button also comes in handy when you want to run a quick diagnose o your car before or after a trip.

Personally, I think it is worth the money spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Congratulations on joining the Nexon gang. Wish you & your family unlimited safe & happy miles with this funky little car! Great colour (mine is a Calgary white one too.) & a fabulous finish of the roof in just 16k I must say. And you got it painted. Thats great. So much better than the vinyl wraps generally used.

Did your car come with the strips in white? Calgary white (and previously Etna Orange) come with the strips in grey. One of the reasons for me to pick white over other colours. (The other reason being dust and scratches not being obviously visible on this shade!)
Thank you so much!

Mine came with grey/silver stripes. I believe all the calgary whites come with the same grey/silver stripes. And since I wanted a pure dual tone look, I got them painted to black.

Here are some more pics of Zoya:
Important
For IRA app to function flawlessly, you need to get the KYC done by the dealer. Otherwise, it would stop connecting to your car after the first on-two weeks. I got my KYC done at the delivery day itself. Hence no issues for me for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20200908_130902.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20200909_131421.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20200909_131412.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20200909_131407.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-p_20200909_131441.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 9th September 2020 at 15:00. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
J_K_A is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 15:11   #3168
BHPian

Looks stunning! Congrats J_K_A I too have finalised on nexon, now wondering whether to stick to xma or stretch for xza+. Am going thru all the posts here and all videos on YouTube, trying to come to a conclusion.

Last edited by zhopudey : 9th September 2020 at 15:14. Reason: Spelling
zhopudey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 18:59   #3169
Senior - BHPian

Can you remote start the engine and turn on the AC using the connected car app ?
Old 9th September 2020, 19:05   #3170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K_A View Post
Mine came with grey/silver stripes. I believe all the calgary whites come with the same grey/silver stripes. And since I wanted a pure dual tone look, I got them painted to black.
WOW! your Zoya is stunning. Can give little bit more info into the painting. Did they removed the panels for painting, I mean the side strips and rear parts. It looks very neat. How much they charged for it?
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 21:36   #3171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Can you remote start the engine and turn on the AC using the connected car app ?
For now, the remote ac or engine on/off is not supported in iRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
WOW! your Zoya is stunning. Can give little bit more info into the painting. Did they removed the panels for painting, I mean the side strips and rear parts. It looks very neat. How much they charged for it?

They charged 16K for the entire upper body of the car including the ceramics. I got it done from the dealership only post the PDI. Hence your guess is as good as mine. But I do remember my sales rep telling me that this was done by removing and coloring the ceramics separately to ensure top notch finish.
J_K_A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 19:24   #3172
BHPian

Recently I had the opportunity to testdrive the new Nexon Petrol BS6. I was checking out the car for one of my friend. He was looking for a Petrol cSUV in below 10lakh range.

I have an Ecosport, he likes it but was not considered due to rear space constraint. For a five member family with three kids, rear seat comfort is of paramount significance to him. According to the space on offer, features for the price and all electronic safety aids, the new Nexon was the primary contendor on our list. The XM variant appeared to be a VFM variant with all the neccessary comfort features and with the ongoing festive season discount here in Kerala, we had almost finalized on the car and the variant. Called some showrooms,which brought us the first revelation. Most of the TATA showrooms are still lingering in the bygone era as far as the customer relationship and experience is considered. SAs are too busy, no follow up even after repeated calls and reminders, and such a low level of enthusiasm from them that would at times makes you rethink your decision. But as GTO says, we shouldn't let go of a good car because of a bad sales experience. We continued our enquiries until we could find one(the better among the worst).
He gave as a good offer and obliged to our testdrive request. Asked him for a Petrol manual testdrive, brought home a petrol AMT. Well, atleast its a petrol, on to the testdrive experience.

Whatever I have felt is my personal opinion and no offense to the owners or prospective owners. All the comparisons are based on my Ecosport.

Looks and Exterior: Looks big and wide from the front. Loved the discovery sport like headlamp design, over all a macho feel. Not a fan of the rear design though.
On a blue car, the white ceramic inserts appeared to be too loud. This ceramic lines are the cheapest looking and worst finished part on an otherwise good car. Body lines and gaps are the most misaligned around this part. Overall, around the body, panel gaps were almost uniform. The doors and hood felt heavy but not as heavy as an Ecosport though. Its a well put together car, no doubt.

Interiors and Seating comfort: Overall the interior fit and finish felt good, but the quality of the items! I lost the impression of the interior when I saw the "push button" for starting. It was all worn out just like in an old TV remote controller. The plastic(black colour) coating was peeling off from the switch of this particular vehicle. On a fairly new car costing nearly 15L and with just 8K on the odometer, this is not expected. The all digital instrument cluster was also not to my taste. The ICE felt small, laggy and dim compared to SYNC3 in my ecosport. Rear view camera quality was also below expectation.

You sit high up and have a good view up front. Seats are big and wide, both front and rear. A lot more accommodating than the seats of an Ecosport. The rear seat can accommodate three average built adults more comfortably than an Ecosport, Brezza and Venue. The middle person at the rear bench may feel a bit uncomfortable due to the shape of the rear seat bench. The one thing I noticed is that the seats felt a bit hard cushioned. On a car that touches almost 15L, the all fabric seat felt out of place. Legroom and shoulder room felt great for the segment. The ingress an egress was ok.

The Drive: The engine comes to life without much drama per se. At idle I could feel some mild vibes/buzzing on the steering and pedals. The creep function comes into play a bit slow compared to other Auto boxes that I have driven. Feels like you have to give some gas to make it happen(fueling still a concern?). Initial pull is a bit sluggish compared to my Ecoboost, although I cant pinpoint if it was the turbo lag or the AMT lag. At slow speeds there is some evident lag present from the moment you give acceleration input and the moment the car pulls, even in sport mode. Overtakings would require some planning, especially at below cruising speed. Things flatten out as you attain cruising speed. Engine didn't felt much rev happy and becomes quite audibe inside the cabin at around 4k rpms. NVH levels still need some improvements.
You would feel at ease at cruising speeds. Everything works well then. The Nexon excels in ride quality. It could take the bad roads with ease than an Ecosport ever could. The rear seat passengers would be comfortable. It handles well too. You would feel a bit top heavy on sudden manoeuvres and a bit bounciness, but then again I could say that it is one among the best cSUVS to drive. The steering is also adequately weighted. Overall a better ride and handling balance when compared to a super stiffly sprung ecosport.

But the thing is I couldnt complete my testdrive! I was cruising at around 80kmph on the highway when suddenly the car stopped responding to my accelerator inputs.
I panicked a bit, looked at the instrument cluster and realized that the gear selector has slipped to "Neutral". The car was not able to select any gear. I pulled over to the side, tried the manual mode and nothing was happening, the car wouldn't slot into any gear. The infamous AMT issue in new Nexon. SA was speechless and I didn't bother him with more questions.
By then the "Engine service" lamp had appeared on the cluster with a warning chime. I Switched OFF and ON the car, still nothing. SA called the showroom, we decided to wait. After a few minutes we tried once again and VOILA! The AMT was working again. But I didnt had the mind to continue the TD and returned home. SA called once after that I told him we have'nt decided yet.

I know the review turned out to be a bit on the negative side. No offence to anyone who reads this. But this was what I have experienced from such a sought out car. With all the praise for new TATA cars, these are the things they still need to improve on. The quality issues I experienced may be a one off example, only to be found on that particular TD vehicle, but it didn't leave such a good impression on the prospective buyer. As it is said, "The first impression is the best impression".

We hadn't taken out Nexon from our list yet but had decided to wait till we experience the Kia Sonet and make a choice then.
blueeyed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 12:25   #3173
BHPian

I wonder no one has mentioned this problem till now, one thing in Nexon that really irritates me during night driving is that there's no leveling control for the high beam like the low beam! Ideally both beams should move together for level adjustment.
And supposedly this is common for all Tata cars with dual beam setup. Not sure if that's the case with other manufacturers too, but it did work fine in a friend's Brezza.

So if my high beams are perfectly aligned when there are 2 people in car, it just points to the sky with more people in the back or car is loaded with luggage! And if I adjust for full load, it just behaves as low beam when I'm driving alone

Right now I've reached a middle ground - right high beam is perfectly straight and low beam pointing down at like end of low beam. So when driving alone, right beam does the job and when car is loaded, left beam gets aligned straight even though right one is then trying to find the stars!
But not an ideal situation for highway driving during the nights.
asethi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 12:54   #3174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
On behalf of a friend's one week old Nexon.
Any clue on this issue? Not cranking.
Close to being 1 month the car in service center, finally got rectified. The delay was primarily due to delay in diagnosing, lead time in procuring the part, shop closure due to covid etc..

The issue found to be the Key set cylinder and it is replaced now.
Old 11th September 2020, 13:08   #3175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
I wonder no one has mentioned this problem till now, one thing in Nexon that really irritates me during night driving is that there's no leveling control for the high beam like the low beam! Ideally both beams should move together for level adjustment.
And supposedly this is common for all Tata cars with dual beam setup. Not sure if that's the case with other manufacturers too, but it did work fine in a friend's Brezza.

So if my high beams are perfectly aligned when there are 2 people in car, it just points to the sky with more people in the back or car is loaded with luggage! And if I adjust for full load, it just behaves as low beam when I'm driving alone

Right now I've reached a middle ground - right high beam is perfectly straight and low beam pointing down at like end of low beam. So when driving alone, right beam does the job and when car is loaded, left beam gets aligned straight even though right one is then trying to find the stars!
But not an ideal situation for highway driving during the nights.
There is a white screw adjuster, right behind the headlights casing, ask TASS to do it.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 00:24   #3176
BHPian

Is this AMT issue specific to any batch or iis it a complaint since launch? Mine is a May 2019 XZA petrol.(AMT).
Old 12th September 2020, 09:50   #3177
BHPian

Experienced the famous Tata sales hospitality already Messaged the SA yesterday asking if Nexon amt is available for td. No reply. Called him up today asking what time the showroom opens and if nexon amt td is available. He said he's not sure and will need to check. Ok the contrary, Hyundai showroom has called me twice in a week for followup.

But I'm not giving up on Nexon so easy.
zhopudey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 10:41   #3178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Experienced the famous Tata sales hospitality already Messaged the SA yesterday asking if Nexon amt is available for td. No reply. Called him up today asking what time the showroom opens and if nexon amt td is available. He said he's not sure and will need to check. Ok the contrary, Hyundai showroom has called me twice in a week for followup.

But I'm not giving up on Nexon so easy.
Only if tata Sales persons were as active as hyundai ones, tata's sales would increase by 50% atleast. But we can only wish, just like we wish for a good automatic gearbox, good petrol engines and other stuff.

Good for you mate, don't give up on a good car just because of a bad experience with the showroom folks, but not everyone thinks like you, i don't know how many sales they loose because of this attitude.
Old 12th September 2020, 11:05   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Only if tata Sales persons were as active as hyundai ones, tata's sales would increase by 50% atleast. But we can only wish, just like we wish for a good automatic gearbox, good petrol engines and other stuff.

Good for you mate, don't give up on a good car just because of a bad experience with the showroom folks, but not everyone thinks like you, i don't know how many sales they loose because of this attitude.
You must post on twitter. Tata media cell is pretty responsive
Old 12th September 2020, 13:12   #3180
BHPian

I went and had a look at the car. The TD vehicle had gone out, but he said he'll bring it home today evening.
I don't think he'll much care about Twitter feedback. He was reminiscent about his days in Concorde. He said life was much better then.

Last edited by zhopudey : 12th September 2020 at 13:14. Reason: Spelling

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks