Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2020, 22:18   #3376
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Hi,
My friend in Bangalore had earlier test drove Sonet diesel and booked it. But due to bad GNCAP rating for Seltos, I advised him to cancel Sonet and check both XUV3OO and Nexon which are 5 star rated. His current drive is 2009 i10 petrol.
[*]He came totally dissatisfied with Nexon especially clutch pedal and gearshifts.[*]The clutch pedal was very hard to press and gearshifts were jerky and in comparison his 2009 i10 petrol felt very smoother.[*]The clutch pedal feels like it is getting stuck[*]The NVH was very bad. The engine noise is too much during acceleration and vibrations are felt inside the cabin.[*]He felt XUV3OO is powerful and good to drive compared to Nexon. [*]Overall rating for Clutch/Gearshift feel and NVH: Sonet > XUV3OO > 2009 i10 > Nexon[/list]

He test drove the same Nexon TD car from same dealer earlier also and had the same feedback. Whether it could be due to an abused TD car?

Looks like the TD car had been abused a lot, I drove the exact same variant of my friend's, the Nexon XM Diesel manual, it was very light, steering feedback was great, NVH levels are well contained, the cabin was not noisy / vibrating at all. Generally TD vehicles are abused not only by prospective customers but also the service personnel, showroom boys who do the pick up / dropping duties, I also saw few TD vehicles towing cars (this was at Mahindra showroom, when the cellar was flooded, they used a TD XUV to tow Thar and KUV which were flooded in the cellar of showroom in Hyderguda, Hyderabad last year). With an FWD car and towing equal size car, the clutch plates can easily give away, also TD vehicles are driven by different drivers with different driving patterns / styles, so the release bearing and pressure plate may be the issue where your friend complained about the clutch getting struck. Nexon is a well engineered car, I drove it and I felt completely safe in it, it was fun to drive as well. Ask your friend to take a TD in some other dealership or any of his relatives or friends, he will change his opinion about the car. Sure the Sonet will be easy to drive as korean cars are much light weight and their engine, gearbox are much refined compared to the ones Tata uses, but as an overall package, I'd definitely pick Tata Nexon over Kia Sonet. I haven't driven XUV 3oo, so I'm not sure what it is like, I heard great things about the car (5 star rating, comfortable seating, great engine) but I somehow don't like the rear styling (the 3rd quarter panel which sits on the rear tyres and abruptly ends there, like a hatchback).
WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 07:42   #3377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Looks like the TD car had been abused a lot, I drove the exact same variant of my friend's, the Nexon XM Diesel manual, it was very light, steering feedback was great, NVH levels are well contained, the cabin was not noisy / vibrating at all.
Thanks for your reply. I will post an update once he completes test drive from another dealer.
gopi_rm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 08:45   #3378
Senior - BHPian

I'd given my car for service and the gear knob felt different when I started driving back home. Looks like someone put their worn one in mine. Anyways, I had it replaced with the one from 2020 model. This has more rubber, feels chunky, and grips better. Cost me Rs 1600. This will be the first thing I've replaced in my 2017 car
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_9820.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_9811.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 10:32   #3379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'd given my car for service and the gear knob felt different when I started driving back home. Looks like someone put their worn one in mine.
Did you not complain?
I am surprised it happened with such apparent thing. I mean what are the chances of someone NOT noticing the gear knob change?

Service center thefts were common back in the day. I remember nearly emptying the fuel tank before giving my bikes (Pulsar and Splendor) for servicing. They would drain the fuel if there was a lot and say that we had to test the bike and that used up all the fuel. Like an idiot, I believed that until someone told me fuel theft is very common in service centers. Lesson learnt the hard way.
I have even heard mechanics replacing expensive, unbroken parts with worn out/broken ones in vehicles given for service and then giving those new parts to their friends/relatives. Not sure how true that is...but I don't rule it out either.
amol4184 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:16   #3380
BHPian

Quote:
I'd given my car for service and the gear knob felt different when I started driving back home. Looks like someone put their worn one in mine.
This is always a problem with service centers. I lost a full size tool kit in Concord years back. Last month I lost a high end Charger/GPS locator left in the car. They always advice you to strip the car clean whenever you take your car for service.
However careful you are, you are bound to leave something behind. After all our cars are like second home.
Prowler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 12:56   #3381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey_1520 View Post
What 12V charger have you been using in your Nexon and if it fits tightly in the socket?
Reposting as I did not receive a response.
Or is it a generic issue in all Nexon that no 12V chargers fits tightly in the socket?
Old 13th November 2020, 13:25   #3382
BHPian

Quote:
Reposting as I did not receive a response.
Or is it a generic issue in all Nexon that no 12V chargers fits tightly in the socket?
It's a generic issue. I use Mi Charger and it is not tight fit. I plugged in my Tyre Inflator and it is also not tight.
K_Drive is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 17:49   #3383
Senior - BHPian

Yes, there is some play surely (I'm using an imported unit). But it's held in place quite nicely by the springy socket cover. I'll share a pic, when I can. No issue there
Quote:
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 22:16   #3384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
It's a generic issue. I use Mi Charger and it is not tight fit.
Quote:
Yes, there is some play surely
Hello,
As a last resort I used a plastic collar insert and taped it around the charger. Now it’s a perfect tight fit.

I wanted to try this, however wanted to check if there are any available in the market which comes with an original tight fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201113-10.11.46-pm.jpeg  

Old 14th November 2020, 17:14   #3385
BHPian

Seems Tata has quietly made a change in the XMA variant. The tyre size has been changed to 195/60 R16 from 215/60 R16. The fatter tyre is now available from XZ+ and upwards. I bought my 2020 Nexon XMA in Feb and it came with 215 section tyres.

Last edited by k.sumit : 14th November 2020 at 17:15.
k.sumit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 15:50   #3386
BHPian

Recently,my cousin has booked a Nexon Petrol(not aware of the variant,I guess its top variant) in Bangalore(he works there)by exchanging his 3 year old almost less run Tigor XMS and when I asked his brother,"Why he is buying another Tata?"He said,its an Indian brand,thats the reason he has booked another Tata vehicle again.In fact,his in-laws also own 2018 Tigor in blue colour after seeing his Tigor.

BTW,his family used to be a Maruti loyalist(his father,who had passed away more than a year ago due to health issues)had Maruti 800 along with 1st gen Swift Petrol,2nd gen Swift Diesel and his last car before his death was 2018 Dzire VDI while his brother had 2014 Dzire VXI,which he sold more than a year ago due to personal reasons and he had inherited the 2018 Dzire from his dad.

The colour he booked was Red single tone and he is getting for Rs.12L while the car's on-road is Rs.12.9L.
car_guy1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 17:11   #3387

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Seems Tata has quietly made a change in the XMA variant. The tyre size has been changed to 195/60 R16 from 215/60 R16. The fatter tyre is now available from XZ+ and upwards. I bought my 2020 Nexon XMA in Feb and it came with 215 section tyres.
I don't think so. I received my Nexon XMA on 13-Nov-2020 and it has come with 215/60 R16 Bridgestone tyre. Here is a picture -

Tata Nexon : Official Review-xma-tyre.jpg
Madywheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 17:38   #3388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madywheel View Post
I don't think so. I received my Nexon XMA on 13-Nov-2020 and it has come with 215/60 R16 Bridgestone tyre. Here is a picture -
Your car might have been manufactured before the change happened (Thank heavens!). BTW did you purchase the alloys separately?
Here is a grab from Nexon's official specifications page -

Tata Nexon : Official Review-wheelspecs.jpg

Does show the thinner tyre on XMA also.

Tata Nexon Official Portal - Specifications

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th November 2020 at 17:46.
Reinhard is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 18:09   #3389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Your car might have been manufactured before the change happened (Thank heavens!).
========
Tata Nexon Official Portal - Specifications
Then I should really thank heaven . This change must have taken effect from current month. My vehicle is October manufactured.

Actually I saw the 195/60 information for XMA on Nexon official brochure which I downloaded on my day of booking in Oct 2020. But on the day of PDI, I was pleasantly surprised to see 215/60 rubber! Even the sales executive seemed to be a little confused about it . I just thought that info on brochure might be misprinted.
Old 17th November 2020, 18:12   #3390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
My July 2018 Nexon XMA, the first XMA lot came with 215 rubber.

Most Viewed