Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2020, 23:18   #3406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Arjab - I guess your Nexon is a Petrol engined ?
16.6 cant be diesel.
Yes. BS-4. Petrol, Manual, pre facelift
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 23:19   #3407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Just thought of sharing. Did a short 350+odd kms round trip in my petrol, manual transmission, BS-4 Nexon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Arjab - I guess your Nexon is a Petrol engined?
Yes he declared so in the opening line
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Yes. BS-4. Petrol, Manual, pre facelift
Oops! We both replied more or less at the same moment. Just saw your post after submitting my multi-quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Just reverse has to be done twice, sometimes, which am fine with.
This happens in many cars unless the gearbox is really well tuned (like some Maruti boxes & some that came with the Fiat MJD). Thats because the reverse isn't a synchromesh gear. Its a sliding mesh generally.

Make it a habit to double clutch for shifting to reverse. As a practice - after shifting from a forward gear to neutral - release the clutch pedal fully & then press it back fully before shifting to neutral. The gear will shift fine in first attempt most of the times then.

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th November 2020 at 23:20.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 23:24   #3408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey_1520 View Post
This is interesting. Contrary to my belief that Sports mode consumes more fuel then City/ECO, I did read some reviews that Sports mode is fuel efficient.

1)Was the Sports mode used throughout the trip?

2)What was your experience driving in Eco /City mode? Did you get a chance to notice the FE on long drives on these modes?
Yes, Sports was used throughout. Even in city I use Sports. As the ECU map in Sports mode is calibrated to deliver full power and torque, gearshifts required are lesser, hence you get a consistent mileage. In City mode or Eco, because of the lack of power and dulled throttle response , one has to downshift multiple times just to keep up with the traffic flow, thus negating whatever "theoretical" fuel efficiency gains that could have happened.
I have never driven in Eco mode on highways so cannot comment. In City mode on highways on a tankfull to tankfull basis with AC on I have obtained 15.8 kmpl over a 250 kms run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
This happens in many cars unless the gearbox is really well tuned (like some Maruti boxes & some that came with the Fiat MJD). Thats because the reverse isn't a synchromesh gear. Its a sliding mesh generally.

Make it a habit to double clutch for shifting to reverse. As a practice - after shifting from a forward gear to neutral - release the clutch pedal fully & then press it back fully before shifting to neutral. The gear will shift fine in first attempt most of the times then.
There are two gearshift cables. One is the shifter cable and the other is the selector cable. Both can be adjusted by means of a pawl & nut mechanism housed in front of the gearshift level (console has to be removed). Any Tata service centre will do it for you. This should smoothen out your gearshifts. This shifter stickiness and grating problem was there in the pre-facelift Tiago also.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st November 2020 at 09:55. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
arjab is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 20:15   #3409

Hi Nexon owner's,

I found out a new feature in Nexon today. I own a automatic petrol and have been a proud owner for almost 03 months.

Well the gear lever was in auto mode. I always lift off right foot from the brake and let the car crawl for a while. That didn't happen today. I checked the parking brake and it was also not in use. Nor the vehicle was having any obstructions below the tyres. And not only was the crawling feature gone, even while using the accelerator the car the car felt as if it is carrying tonnes and tonnes of weight and was resisting the motion. I was a bit surprised as this was a first and did a check again before I saw the door indicator. The driver's door was not closed properly.

I found it really useful And I really thought the little intricacies that tata has took care of putting in this car. The passenger on co-driver seat was also impressed.

So basically, car system will provide resistance when the door is open. Posting it for all BHPians here who may face this little issue in future. Check your doors are closed properly. I do remember someone posting about car not reversing since the driver door was open. I don't know how this thing will work in manual cars.

Regards
Abhinav466 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 12:20   #3410
BHPian

@all, how has been the ownership experience of the petrol Nexon? How has the service been in Mumbai?
The reason why I ask this is that I am contemplating exchanging my 5 year old Baleno with a Nexon. But recently, my friend in Delhi, who was looking to buy a CSUV wanted to TD a Nexon. He applied online on their website thrice, called up dealerships numerous times but he wasnt given a TD for over a month. Whereas he got the appointment for the TD of a Kia Sonet within two weeks. He finalized the Sonet HTX yesterday itself and is very happy with the decision.
This gets me thinking that no matter how safe the car is, cars can still breakdown. And if a dealer/company is not very keen on selling the car in the first place, why would they bother about repair costs and I feel it would become cumbersome going forward.
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 14:47   #3411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
This gets me thinking that no matter how safe the car is, cars can still breakdown. And if a dealer/company is not very keen on selling the car in the first place, why would they bother about repair costs and I feel it would become cumbersome going forward.
Valid points. And generally points on which each individual has to take the decision independently. Others will all have their own perspective and can only share that. Can't advise much.

From what I know from a lot of Nexon owner friends, the car is very reliable. None have faced a scenario where they have been stranded in the middle of nowhere. Whoever have had breakdowns for reasons like battery draining out etc - have received RSA assistance within acceptable times. And this is from all over India, not just specific metros. I have been using Tata car for more than a decade and in my part of the country, there are really no issues for service/emergency assistance thankfully.

Eventually it boils down to what you would prioritize. An accident happens 1 in a million maybe. Breakdown certainly has a higher probability like you said. On the other hand - an accident has more chance of a fatal outcome compared to a breakdown. Until the Sonet is tested - we don't know & I don't want to presume anything. The car may well score 5 stars too.

The one thing that I'd certainly advise though - assuming you are OK to leave aside crash test results - do drive both (or more) cars that are your potential contenders. Don't book one without trying the other just because you didn't like the sales experience. Afterall you are buying the car, not the dealership. Buy the car that connects the most with you when at the wheel. Whichever brings the wider smile -- is the one for you. Thats what I did too. I didn't even have the Nexon in my list but a casual TD changed it all. Originally I didn't want to buy the Nexon because I presumed it was just an evolution of the car that I had been driving for nearly a decade. Wanted something new.

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th November 2020 at 15:01.
Reinhard is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 12:20   #3412
BHPian

Does anyone know if TATA is actually taking 10 weeks to deliver a car to customers? I am planning to book a Nexon XMA(S) Petrol for dad but like other members have mentioned in different threads the waiting period is said to be 10 weeks.

Vitara Brezza is available in much shorter time frame but I can't bring myself to settle with those interiors and pay Maruti that insane premium for the 4 speed AT.

I am concerned that if I book a Nexon now then I would get only in January and then it would be a 2020 car which would fetch 2020 car prices during resale.
Old 28th November 2020, 14:59   #3413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I am concerned that if I book a Nexon now then I would get only in January and then it would be a 2020 car which would fetch 2020 car prices during resale.
You are overthinking this IMO. A month here and there doesn't suddenly drop your car's selling price. You can ask what you want for it & you'll get a buyer for it. Anyway the manufacturing month also matters & is known based on the chassis number & documentation.

Also - don't buy a car thinking of its resale value difference of a few thousands. A number that you'll be thinking about 5 years later (mostly more). If you like a car, wait for it. Buying a different car than your 1st choice just for early delivery is not the best reason to buy that car. All good things to those who wait they say .

Last edited by Reinhard : 28th November 2020 at 15:07.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 19:35   #3414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
1. Get a 55W HID conversion kit H7 from Blaze India (Find them on Facebook if you are on Facebook. If you aren't - like me - PM me & I'll share the contact details) in 4300K. With canbus adapter it retails at 4900INR for the kit.
2. Install 35W H7 Xenarc ECO HID conversion kit from from OSRAM. Its available on Amazon but will be costlier than the above option. I have used it. Its far better than the stock halogens & also lower on power consumption. I'm thinking of installing the above mentioned 55W kit now.
Thanks!!

After waiting for 4 weeks my car got allotted. . Should get delivered in a week or so.

How's the performance of high beam? Does it need an upgrade?

I know cool (white) lights are not good for visibility in fog or during the rain, but I feel they provide better visibility if weather is clear (and look cool too).

-Does it make sense to have warm low beam and cool high beam (or vice versa)? If yes, which one should be cool and which one should be warm?
Old 29th November 2020, 07:18   #3415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroid View Post
Thanks!!

After waiting for 4 weeks my car got allotted. . Should get delivered in a week or so.

How's the performance of high beam? Does it need an upgrade?

I know cool (white) lights are not good for visibility in fog or during the rain, but I feel they provide better visibility if weather is clear (and look cool too).

-Does it make sense to have warm low beam and cool high beam (or vice versa)? If yes, which one should be cool and which one should be warm?
HID in high beam is not advisable since it take a few seconds to warm up.
My upgrades when I get my nexon,
HID low beam 4300k 35w or 55w (35w bulbs lasts longer)
HID Fog 4300k 35w with relay (may be upgrade to bixenon projectors in a few months)
LED high beam - Philips xtreme ultinon

I would also advise to have a extra pair of HID bulbs if you are doing a lot of night driving.

I had bixenon projectors install in my figo myself, sourced from Sinolyn china. For both headlamp and fog lamp, they were extremely good and had no issues driving at night in rain. Both were 4300k, so i am sticking by those color, 4300k is the brightest when it comes to HID, 6000k might look cool but i prefer function over form.

Congratulations on your purchase, is your diesel or petrol ?
It's been 2 weeks since i booked diesel and its not alloted yet, the waiting period is killing me.
Old 29th November 2020, 10:20   #3416
BHPian

Hi all,

Am planning to buy a Nexon, but am confused between the Petrol and Diesel. While my running is less than 1000 kms per month, we do a lot of highway runs and this will be my only car for the time being.

I drove both, and found the Diesel engine to be punchy yet smooth and prettty fast compared to the Petrol which felt a bit gruff, but the Diesel variant is quick expensive. While the XZ+ P is 11.9 lacs, the XZ+ D is almost 14 lacs!

In my budget, I am able to fit either XZ+ P or XZ D. XZ misses out a few features I wanted like:
1. Rear wiper
2. Driver armrest
3. Height adjustable driver seat, although if the seat is high enough for average height folks, should be fine too

Things I can live without: Auto climate control, keyless entry

Can 2020 Nexon Petrol owners please provide their experience so far. How bad is the turbo lag, especially in B2B traffic conditions, and how good/ bad is the engine performance on the highway?
Would it be realistic to extract 11-12 kmpl in Bangalore traffic conditions?

Cheers,
Mayank
Old 29th November 2020, 11:20   #3417

Have anyone faced this issue with Nexon AMT? I got my Nexon Diesel XZA+ mid October. If the car stays in bumper to bumper traffic for a prolonged period like 20+ mins, the AMT warning symbol appears with an alarm. This has happened twice. I raised this during first service but they said it happened when clutch gets heated up. Also gave a bunch of advises like to put car in neutral while in red light, switch between city and eco mode in heavy traffic. I tried switching modes but AMT warning appeared again in prolonged heavy traffic. I then had to take a coffee break to cool it down and then it was fine.
Has anybody faced such issue? Is it common with Nexon AMTs? Fingers crossed that I didn't take a lemon out of the lot.
Old 29th November 2020, 12:53   #3418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplaybill View Post
Have anyone faced this issue with Nexon AMT? I got my Nexon Diesel XZA+ mid October. If the car stays in bumper to bumper traffic for a prolonged period like 20+ mins, the AMT warning symbol appears with an alarm. This has happened twice. I raised this during first service but they said it happened when clutch gets heated up. Also gave a bunch of advises like to put car in neutral while in red light, switch between city and eco mode in heavy traffic. I tried switching modes but AMT warning appeared again in prolonged heavy traffic. I then had to take a coffee break to cool it down and then it was fine.
Has anybody faced such issue? Is it common with Nexon AMTs? Fingers crossed that I didn't take a lemon out of the lot.
Make it a habit to put it in N and apply handbrake and don't rest your foot on the brake.

This applies to all circumstances, traffic lights, stop and go traffic etc.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 14:18   #3419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplaybill View Post
Have anyone faced this issue with Nexon AMT? I got my Nexon Diesel XZA+ mid October. If the car stays in bumper to bumper traffic for a prolonged period like 20+ mins, the AMT warning symbol appears with an alarm.
So, this issue is not limited to DCT's or dry-clutch DCT's per say it seems.

The only thing this makes me think is that the most expensive and least expensive automatics(DCT's & AMT's) both suffer from similar issues.

So, if someone is looking for convenience without hassles only torque-convertor and CVT/IVT are the best bets in automatics.

If this is the case then Tata should have launched the car with a DCT itself at least it would have satisfied enthusiasts and also people won't be commenting that Tata did not put a proper automatic in place.

Last edited by sv97 : 29th November 2020 at 14:33.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 16:05   #3420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramharis View Post
It's been 2 weeks since i booked diesel and its not alloted yet, the waiting period is killing me.
Thanks
It's Petrol XZ+S.
I had booked one car in Mumbai on 20th October and one at Bangalore on 1st November. I got allotted car in Bangalore, but there's no update on booking done in Mumbai. Very confused on how TATA allotment system works.

Most Viewed