Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2020, 18:58   #3511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Guys, finally the Foliage Green Nexon XZ+ petrol came home last Friday. A small 'Bought the car' thread coming soon. Drove the car for about 500km till today and the Nexon has exceeded my expectations. I love it.
Congratulations on the acquisition! Pictures are on order. Wishing you unlimited safe & happy miles with the Nexon.
Quote:
I folded the seats properly to complete flat by folding the base first and showed him. Shows how the SAs are trained poorly.
Look at the flip side of it - this means you were the first customer that the SA encountered who knew about it or bothered asking about it . Goes to show how little informed the customers are as well. And that's why cars like XUV3oo get away with flat back rear seats in lower trims (no neck restraint at all), some other cars go on selling without proper flat folding / split seats and many such other items. Either the customers aren't aware or we aren't bothered or the features are not required at all for most usage patters.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 19:10   #3512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
And that's why cars like XUV3oo get away with flat back rear seats in lower trims (no neck restraint at all), some other cars go on selling without proper flat folding / split seats and many such other items. Either the customers aren't aware or we aren't bothered or the features are not required at all for most usage patters.
I was shocked to see the rear seat of W4 variant. Seems like Mahindra ordered them from an El-Cheapo Karolbagh shop
Old 25th December 2020, 19:45   #3513
BHPian

Quote:

"Sir, I told you, the XZ+ comes with 60:40 split seats, so you can fold the seat only 60, it won't really come 100% flat, it comes only 60% flat" .

I folded the seats properly to complete flat by folding the base first and showed him. Shows how the SAs are trained poorly.
Reminded me of my experience with Ford. I was a SA trainee at Ford some 15 years back. I was supposed to receive training at the HO in chennai, this was during the time when the 1st gen endeavour was on sale. During a training exercise from a senior Sales Advisor, there was the topic of seats. Was regularly reading about car reviews back them (helped me land on this job). She was confident that the third row seats cannot be removed. I demoed how and the whole group was . Guess things are still the same.

On a side note, got the MIL error on my Nexon today. Have driven less than 20kms since the service earlier this week. Hope this is something minor. Any pointers from fellow owners. The engine idle RPM is either slightly higher (~1300rpm) or drops to ~900RPM since the light turned on some 30 mins ago. Will check with SA tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20201225_183912.jpg  

Last edited by knaveen : 25th December 2020 at 19:46.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 09:58   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
On a side note, got the MIL error on my Nexon today. Have driven less than 20kms since the service earlier this week. Hope this is something minor. Any pointers from fellow owners. The engine idle RPM is either slightly higher (~1300rpm) or drops to ~900RPM since the light turned on some 30 mins ago. Will check with SA tomorrow.
SA wanted me to check for any traces of ratbite. There was none and the error was not showing up after 30 mins. Taken the car to service center to get checked anyways. The technician said is there is another ECU update showing up and another update related to injectors. He said these are showing up only now and not the last time while the car was in service. The update process took a good 30 mins. The car was on and revving up and down on its own during the update process. I always thought the update will be done while the engine is off. Anyways post the update all is good. Also updated the infotainment version, no change though.

A couple of changes post the ECU update.
1. Previously whenever I tried to change the drive modes, the change will take effect only after I let go off the throttle. I cannot change modes while accelerating. This was even called out on Karan's video review of Nexon. This is changed, now the mode changes are instant.
2. The gear position recommender in the instrument console had a lag. For example, let's say am in 3rd gear at 20kmph, it will ask me to downshift (down indicator) and will remain that way even if I accelerate past optimum speed of that gear. The status will get updated only when I let go off throttle. This has been fixed and now showing proper recommendations. Small stuff but works now

Got to know that the latest BCM update will disable the auto folding mirrors on door lock as well. Don't know the logic of this though.

Last edited by knaveen : 27th December 2020 at 10:02.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 18:02   #3515
Senior - BHPian

Completed yet another trip (Ghaziabad - Orchha - Ghaziabad) on my XMA Petrol. 7.5 hours total time each way.

Still a 'tight' car and does everything as good as on day 1, if not better.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20201227_163835.jpg  

Last edited by roy_libran : 27th December 2020 at 18:03.
roy_libran is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 18:45   #3516
Senior - BHPian

If anybody from Tata Motors is reading this, please have a better quality plastic for the arm rest. The plastic underneath has totally shattered and the material is worse than a 'bathroom bucket'. This is shocking, (and not covered under warranty). I don't even lean too much on it, fearing it would break. This part costs 6,900 to replace. Not sure if this is part fatigue, since my car is a 2017 model. Competition provides sturdy arm-rests, so should you, TM!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_3617.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 28th December 2020 at 18:47.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 22:39   #3517
BHPian

I was interested in XMA trim as it provides almost all the features I need. I'm not so keen on touch screen with AA but felt that rear parking camera is a must.
Hence booked XZ trim which is comes with factory fitted no-fuss system plus many additional features.

Later on, my SA informed that in XMA trim, they can drill a hole near the rear license plate to install rear camera and connect it to IRVM display. The existing rear parking sensors are untouched. Did anyone try this approach for rear view in Nexon? How is the resolution and pricing in after market? Dealer quoted 7k for this. If this works, it'll tilt my preference towards XMA.
Old 29th December 2020, 00:09   #3518
BHPian

Tata Nexon - XMA(S) Accessories

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on Team BHP. I have recently booked a Tata Nexon XMA (S) - Petrol variant. I took this decision after checking out the following cars:

1. Kia Sonnet DCT
2. Hyundai Venue DCT

Even though both cars listed above offer a better automatic gear box (DCT), the reason for choosing Nexon was value for money. The XMA (S) version is probably the cheapest variant with sunroof on board and not to mention the excellent build quality of Tata cars.

Now, the XMA (S) version does have a few important features missing and that is the help I am seeking from this forum. Please suggest me accessories that would enhance my driving experience and comfort of the car. A few which I think can be added are:
1. Harman Infotainment (40k)
2. Reverse Camera
3. Bumper Protector
4. Fog Lights
5. Car Seat Cover
6. Mud Flaps
7. Floor Mat
8. Car Parcel Tray
Varun_G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 00:26   #3519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadigar View Post
I was interested in XMA trim as it provides almost all the features I need. I'm not so keen on touch screen with AA but felt that rear parking camera is a must.
Hence booked XZ trim which is comes with factory fitted no-fuss system plus many additional features.
If rear parking camera is the only reason for XZ - I recommend to better go for XMA. Yes, installing a camera with view inside the IRVM is a very easy job and really any good accessories store will also do this installation. Not necessary to get it done frlm the dealership. Check with reputed stores near your place and get quote. If its cheaper than 7k (certainly will be), better get it done from them

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th December 2020 at 00:28.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 10:44   #3520

Hi All,
After enjoying thoroughly the driving experience of the Swift VDI for more than 10 years, I am considering buying an automatic petrol car. After evaluating options like the turbo petrol imT (Hyundai), NA 1.5 petrol (Ford), I am planning to buy and switch to a Nexon Petrol XZA+. There are some niggling questions and I would appreciate your advice.
1. Does the AMT heat up during idling in traffic?
2. Which Tata car dealer in Bangalore would you recommend that has good service?
3. Would you recommend waiting for the Nexon DCT that is rumored to be in the works (Jan 13th announcement?)?

thanks in advance for your time,
Old 29th December 2020, 11:53   #3521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnot View Post
Hi All,
After enjoying thoroughly the driving experience of the Swift VDI for more than 10 years, I am considering buying an automatic petrol car. After evaluating options like the turbo petrol imT (Hyundai), NA 1.5 petrol (Ford), I am planning to buy and switch to a Nexon Petrol XZA+. There are some niggling questions and I would appreciate your advice.
2. Which Tata car dealer in Bangalore would you recommend that has good service?
3. Would you recommend waiting for the Nexon DCT that is rumored to be in the works (Jan 13th announcement?)?

Let me try and answer your questions to the best of my abilities:
1. No that is not the case. An AMT gear box will feel jerky while automatic gear shifts but in terms of heating up, I haven't heard a single complaint so far.

2. I have recently booked Tata Nexon XMA (S) version from Kropex Motors. Have heard good things about their service. Also spoke to KHT motors who are a much bigger dealer but chose Kropex for my car purchase due to distance from my apartment.

3. Nexon DCT is rumored to be launched sometime in the first half of 2021. Also, it would bump up the cost of each manual variant by at least 1-1.5 lakh. Even though DCT gear boxes are the finest automatic gear boxes, they would result in a lower mileage and higher maintenance cost in the long run. If you want to experience a DCT similar performance in your AMT vehicle, just switch to Sports Mode

Hope this helps in some way. Cheers!
Varun_G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:55   #3522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can comment only about this 1 quoted item. The primary rule to follow with AMT (honestly with all transmissions) - is to shift to N when idling whenever possible.

Its exactly like waiting in traffic while in gear and keeping the clutch disengaged in a manual transmission car. The AMT applies energy to keep the clutch engaged / partially engaged for creep when in drive modes. So yes it will be working and generating usual heat associated with it. No - it does not over-heat like DCT units generally. But if you don't shift to N - it will keep the clutch engaged when it shouldn't be, and will cause excess wear on the clutch also. So while there is no overheating risk - always shift to neutral if you are going to be stationary for more than 5 seconds.

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th December 2020 at 11:58.
Reinhard is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 13:01   #3523
BHPian

Quote:
So while there is no overheating risk - always shift to neutral if you are going to be stationary for more than 5 seconds.
I believe this should be the norm for all to avoid unnecessary wear and tear. I'm planning to treat my Sonet the same way when I get it.
Old 29th December 2020, 13:58   #3524
BHPian

Quote:
If rear parking camera is the only reason for XZ - I recommend to better go for XMA. Yes, installing a camera with view inside the IRVM is a very easy job and really any good accessories store will also do this installation. Not necessary to get it done frlm the dealership. Check with reputed stores near your place and get quote. If its cheaper than 7k (certainly will be), better get it done from them
I was planning for XMA as well. But I will sorely miss the Rear AC vents or atleast blowers. Will tata service people be able to do it? I know a local mod shop that can do it. Will the warranty will be void for any electrical changes done outside the service centers?

Quote:
Hi All,
No heating issues, but there's an issue of AMT getting stuck in Neutral. A guy on youtube claimed it got rectified in the latest software update. Others Nexon AMT owners can comment.
ComicCharcoal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 15:16   #3525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicCharcoal View Post
I was planning for XMA as well. But I will sorely miss the Rear AC vents or atleast blowers. Will tata service people be able to do it? I know a local mod shop that can do it. Will the warranty will be void for any electrical changes done outside the service centers?
The ASC will never do this change. You'll need to get it done from outside. I have N-E-V-E-R heard of a scenario where TASC has rejected warranty for electric mods. They tend to be the most lenient when it comes to accommodating modifications in cars during warranty claims. It also comes down to how well you build your relationship with the service team. One needs to nurture it well.
(Both of my Tata cars have seen so many mods that its hard to find original stuff in them . But I never had warranty claim issues so far.)

More than warranty - you should first ascertain that the implementation the mod-shop does is clean, safe & high quality equipment + wiring is used. Patchy jobs in hidden places carry more risks than just warranty voidance. Poor electrical modding is a safety risk that can also cause fires. So take care.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks