Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 14:18   #3541
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon - XMA(S) Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_G View Post
Great! Will contact them and check the price. Any sources for seat covers and other small accessories?
- Harman system only if they are integrating the steering controls, voice commands, AC controls display, rear camera and everything else as it is on the XZ+ models. If they are not integrating these things then go for aftermarket fitting, I personally wouldn't go that route even if I have to skip the rear camera. I have no need for it and the parking sensors are the only additional electronic assistance I need.

- Buy the TATA seat covers as they have a 2 year warranty. I am sure aftermarket ones have none. Parcel tray and mud flaps from, TATA of course.

- Skip the bumper protectors. A small 4 inch patch is more of an accent on the busy lines of the vehicle than a functional protection.

-Fog Lamps - make sure you will be able to operate whatever setup you install from the headlamp stalk. Anything else is not very intuitive to use. OE ones are damn cheap. Spend on upgrading the low beams instead.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 09:19   #3542
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

The plastic cowl had faded beyond recognition. Got that replaced at a cost of Rs 1,100. This part was toughest to maintain. Owners of Nexons, over three years old, know what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_3824.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 10:17   #3543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The plastic cowl had faded beyond recognition. Got that replaced at a cost of Rs 1,100. This part was toughest to maintain. Owners of Nexons, over three years old, know what I'm talking about.
I'm surprised why you needed to change the plastic cowl, this is the condition of my 2018 July Nexon XMA.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20201231100944.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20201231101007.jpg
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 10:30   #3544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
You could keep using the dashboard polish once in a month to keep it look good. The fading is due to heat mainly and I do understand what you are saying but this polish kept my old Santro looking good throughout. There are multiple brands and any one of them should be fine I think. Even after replacement you might face this again. Try to keep the car is shadow as much as possible.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 31st December 2020 at 10:32.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 11:04   #3545
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. There is a Megs vinyl/plastic/leather multi purpose polish I use to keep my seats looking new. But somehow it did not work on the cowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
You could keep using the dashboard polish once in a month to keep it look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_3732.jpg  

Old 31st December 2020, 13:51   #3546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
- Harman system only if they are integrating the steering controls, voice commands, AC controls display, rear camera and everything else as it is on the XZ+ models. If they are not integrating these things then go for aftermarket fitting, I personally wouldn't go that route even if I have to skip the rear camera. I have no need for it and the parking sensors are the only additional electronic assistance I need.
Okay so got the latest update from the dealer that the only infotainment system available is Blaupunkt Key Largo 970 with reverse camera for 32k. I don't mind the 32k but this particular model has horrible reviews plus no Android Auto.

Is there any particular after market model which can solve this problem for me with a seamless android auto experience?
Old 31st December 2020, 14:05   #3547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Okay so got the latest update from the dealer that the only infotainment system available is Blaupunkt Key Largo 970 with reverse camera for 32k. I don't mind the 32k but this particular model has horrible reviews plus no Android Auto.
All Android systems are pretty much identical. All Chinese made. Just different brand logos and stickers. Absolutely no reason to spend 32K for what is available for 15K in aftermarket stores. Many names. Blaupunkt, Hypersonic, Matrixx, whatever. All the same internally really. Just rebadging.

Here is a sample - LINK - MotorBasket.com Nexon OEM fit Android head unit.
Just INR 11,000.00.
I use a sibling of this from the same source in my Alto & am totally happy.

If you install Android head unit - you don't really need Android auto to be honest. Couple the head unit with your mobile's hotspot and you can really use whatever you want from PlayStore (which doesn't need a SIM card). I have 2 cars. One has Android Auto, the other has Android head unit. Trust me - I find the Android head unit far more convenient for regular usage. Android Auto has terrible glitches (across all cars, all makes, all models) due to Google, phone and myriad of software issues.

I would strongly recommend you get an Android system. You are getting an XMA-S, which also gets steering mounted controls I believe. Those are also directly integrated with the Android head unit. PnP.

Last edited by Reinhard : 31st December 2020 at 14:12.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 14:21   #3548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Just INR 11,000.00.
Reinhard, how does the audio quality of the motorbasket android head unit compare to the native harman head unit provided by Tata? Also, does motorbasket have a set of installers or do we have to get it installed via an installer of our choice? Also, what kind of installation support do these guys provide?

Apologies for asking too many questions, but wanted to confirm things before I place the order.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 15:09   #3549
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any particular after market model which can solve this problem for me with a seamless android auto experience?
I've heard of woodman and megaaudio. After seeing the motorbasket unit, I come to the conclusion that they're all the same unit with different logos. The worst is not having to see the album art/song info when streaming through Bluetooth. I am a factory fit and finish lover and would any day prefer the original Harman system over the out of place graphics of these aftermarket products.

On the other hand...

Quote:
If you install Android head unit - you don't really need Android auto to be honest. Couple the head unit with your mobile's hotspot and you can really use whatever you want from PlayStore (which doesn't need a SIM card). I have 2 cars. One has Android Auto, the other has Android head unit. Trust me - I find the Android head unit far more convenient for regular usage. Android Auto has terrible glitches (across all cars, all makes, all models) due to Google, phone and myriad of software issues.
All that you said here is correct. After discussing with a friend who just bought the base E-Diesel Creta with one such aftermarket unit installed, it makes sense if you have something like spotify, wynk, prime music etc, installed on your head unit. In that case the unit tethers with the hotspot of your phone and you don't have to deal with the cheap built in graphics. We all use the phone to stream music through these apps and having a copy of it on the HU makes more sense.

Secondly, you can install the dash-cam review app on the HU itself rather than seeing it on a small screen on the phone.

Option of integrating app based Bluetooth actuated fog lamps on the HU like you did on your Nexon (albeit through the phone)

If they are not providing factory fitted functionality of the Harman unit, then it is better to get and aftermarket unit installed independently. A few things you can make sure that way are:
-Speaker setup of your choice rather than the bloated prices at the dealer's accessory shop
-Quality of rear camera (they usually put the cheapest one they can find
-FM reception which they usually fudge-up
-Placement of extra mic in headliner since the in built mic picks up AC vent noise being in built in the unit
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 15:11   #3550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Reinhard, how does the audio quality of the motorbasket android head unit compare to the native harman head unit provided by Tata? Also, does motorbasket have a set of installers or do we have to get it installed via an installer of our choice? Also, what kind of installation support do these guys provide?
I use the MB sourced system in my Alto with my own audio setup. With Pioneer ovals in the back & a JBL amplifier + 1100W sub-woofer in the back. So it sounds rather nasty & can easily match/beat Nexon stock audio. That said - the audio quality is good & it will work absolutely fine & will give comparable audio on the Nexon with its good stock speakers. The HU also has pre-outs if you want to further add subwoofer / amplifier + components etc.

Do check about can-bus enabled system etc before placing order based on your requirements. Talk to Motorbasket once before placing the order directly. Be fully convinced about the product before placing order. Can-bus enabled system will give you features like door open warnings on screen, functional dashboard buttons (if your car has them - XM) etc.
Motorbasket has door-step installation arrangement in Pune, Delhi, Mumbai, Belgaluru & Hyderabad. Regardless - any moderately established car accessory store now a days installs this for nominal amounts.

Last edited by Reinhard : 31st December 2020 at 15:15.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 16:54   #3551
BHPian

Quote:
Do check about can-bus enabled system etc before placing order based on your requirements. Talk to Motorbasket once before placing the order directly. Be fully convinced about the product before placing order. Can-bus enabled system will give you features like door open warnings on screen, functional dashboard buttons (if your car has them - XM) etc.
Motorbasket has door-step installation arrangement in Pune, Delhi, Mumbai, Belgaluru & Hyderabad. Regardless - any moderately established car accessory store now a days installs this for nominal amounts.
Thanks for the prompt response. I will check with motorbasket and see how it goes.
Old 1st January 2021, 11:18   #3552
BHPian

Quote:
All Android systems are pretty much identical. All Chinese made. Just different brand logos and stickers. Absolutely no reason to spend 32K for what is available for 15K in aftermarket stores. Many names. Blaupunkt, Hypersonic, Matrixx, whatever. All the same internally really. Just rebadging.

Just INR 11,000.00.

I would strongly recommend you get an Android system. You are getting an XMA-S, which also gets steering mounted controls I believe. Those are also directly integrated with the Android head unit. PnP.
Hey Reinhard. Wishing you a very happy new year!
Wanted to understand the lag experience while using the Android head unit for navigation via mobile Hotspot. If I am not wrong, you also need to keep your mobile screen active for mirroring on such Android Head Units which can be a pain as well?
Varun_G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 12:16   #3553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Reinhard. Wishing you a very happy new year!
Wanted to understand the lag experience while using the Android head unit for navigation via mobile Hotspot. If I am not wrong, you also need to keep your mobile screen active for mirroring on such Android Head Units which can be a pain as well?
Happy new year to you too Varun.
  • There is no lag on navigation (or anything else). Remember, the navigation data reception is purely dependent on the mobile internet data speed you get. Same lag will be present on Android auto also. If you visit remote places, download the offline navigation data before you start, in Google maps.
  • Regarding your query about mirroring, I'll simplify it. Think of the android head unit as simply an Android tablet with audio+video i/o ports and without a battery of its own. Trust me, that's exactly what it is. So you don't need to mirror generally. Simply install the apps you need - Spotify/AmazonMusic/YouTube/GoogleMaps etc on the head unit via PlayStore (present on head unit). Connect to hotspot (I even plan to keep a 4g dongle permanently in the car for this once offices reopen) and use these apps seamlessly on the HU sreen. Mobile isn't needed to be even unlocked, let alone phone screen being active.
  • Talking of lag in general - the Nexon XZ+ OEM Harman touch HU is so laggy that compared to it, even the cheapest Android HU appears supersonic and fluidic. The touch interface is better beyond comparison in Android HUs.
  • Just ensure you get steering audio controls or dashboard audio controls enabled if you install Android HU. With pure touchscreen, one has to take eyes away from road while driving and its a strict NO for safety.

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st January 2021 at 12:19.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 12:25   #3554
BHPian

Quote:
Happy new year to you too Varun.
  • There is no lag on navigation (or anything else). Remember, the navigation data reception is purely dependent on the mobile internet data speed you get. Same lag will be present on Android auto also. If you visit remote places, download the offline navigation data before you start, in Google maps.
  • Regarding your query about mirroring, I'll simplify it. Think of the android head unit as simply an Android tablet with audio+video i/o ports and without a battery of its own. Trust me, that's exactly what it is. So you don't need to mirror generally. Simply install the apps you need - Spotify/AmazonMusic/YouTube/GoogleMaps etc on the head unit via PlayStore (present on head unit). Connect to hotspot (I even plan to keep a 4g dongle permanently in the car for this once offices reopen) and use these apps seamlessly on the HU sreen. Mobile isn't needed to be even unlocked, let alone phone screen being active.
  • Talking of lag in general - the Nexon XZ+ OEM Harman touch HU is so laggy that compared to it, even the cheapest Android HU appears supersonic and fluidic. The touch interface is better beyond comparison in Android HUs.
  • Just ensure you get steering audio controls or dashboard audio controls enabled if you install Android HU. With pure touchscreen, one has to take eyes away from road while driving and its a strict NO for safety.
Wow this is really useful. Now I am leaning towards getting the Motor Basket AHU installed and not burn a hole in my wallet by getting the Blaupunkt Key Largo 970 installed by the dealership.

Also, I will have to couple it with a reverse camera as well. Please give me a good suggestion for the same which I can get it installed along with the Motor Basket AHU.
Old 1st January 2021, 13:21   #3555
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Confirmed! - Sunroof has rain sensing Auto-Close

Hi Everyone. Wishing you a Happy New Year.

I asked my brother to check on this feature after coming to know about it on the Harrier AT Review page. It works on the Nexon as well. As soon as the rain sensor detects water, the sunroof, if open, closes itself automatically.

Quote:
Wanted to understand the lag experience while using the Android head unit for navigation via mobile Hotspot.
Checked out the 2GB RAM 16GB quad core Android 9 version on the friend's Creta at length yesterday.
  • The customization offered is ridiculous! You can change the look, set a different launcher to hide the cheap graphics, install power amp player which has a better equalizer.
  • The lag I found was in loading the apps. From the time you click the icon and to the time the app loads and opens your playlists and displays your account info etc. you can be waiting upto 15 seconds. Once loaded it functions smoothly based on the internet speed.
  • Tried installing android auto which we though would be lighter than google maps and would load faster, but it wasn't supported for that device.
  • There is no better way to connect to the Telephony on your phone than relying on the native interface. No apps available which display phone contacts, call logs, messages etc. So the phone connectivity experience is next to NIL. Including audio playback over Bluetooth.
  • Also, there is an octa-core version with 6GB RAM (Woodman) which you might want to check out.
  • Haven't tried connecting the phone to see if Android Auto launches itself on the HU screen. That might be possible and might provide a better experience.

Last edited by Tgo : 1st January 2021 at 13:42.
Tgo is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks