Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2021, 13:39   #3556
BHPian

Fantastic thread and very informative replies by Reinhard. Feels good to press that thanks button for every reply Wishing a very happy new year.

For me, having dashboard controls working is a must with Android head unit. XMA does not come with steering controls, so no issues. The dealer is quoting 37k for Blaupunkt system, so that's ruled out.
The woodman system comes with model specific frame, couplers, installation support and return if any issues. However, they don't confirm canbus. The link Reinhard provided in fact confirms working with the dashboard controls. Have to check if it's available in store.
More questions...
Does DSP improve the audio quality as some high end woodman systems claim? It's all dependent upon the network connectivity right?
Does XMA trim come with mounted microphone for handling the phone calls? If yes, connecting with that is also needed.
Is it straight forward to get the reverse camera connected to HU without touching the OEM reverse sensor cables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_G View Post
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on Team BHP. I have recently booked a Tata Nexon XMA (S) - Petrol variant. I took this decision after checking out the following cars:

1. Kia Sonnet DCT
2. Hyundai Venue DCT
We are in the same boat Varun_G, let's connect
The SA shared a huge list of accessories. I'm picking only mud flaps, floor mats, boot mat, and parcel tray (if I switch to XMA) with bargains. There is an awesome thread on imperial leathers for car seat covers, check it out. I'm planning to install steering leather wrap and full floor noodle mats (as they anyway remove the seats).

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd January 2021 at 09:13. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
nadigar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 14:10   #3557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Confirmed! - Sunroof has rain sensing Auto-Close

Hi Everyone. Wishing you a Happy New Year.

I asked my brother to check on this feature after coming to know about it on the Harrier AT Review page. It works on the Nexon as well. As soon as the rain sensor detects water, the sunroof, if open, closes itself automatically.
Whoa! This is news to me. I hope the XMA (S) version also supports this but haven't heard the same from Tata dealership.

Quote:
Checked out the 2GB RAM 16GB quad core Android 9 version on the friend's Creta at length yesterday.
Is it Woodman too?

Quote:
  • The customization offered is ridiculous! You can change the look, set a different launcher to hide the cheap graphics, install power amp player which has a better equalizer.
  • The lag I found was in loading the apps. From the time you click the icon and to the time the app loads and opens your playlists and displays your account info etc. you can be waiting upto 15 seconds. Once loaded it functions smoothly based on the internet speed.
  • Tried installing android auto which we though would be lighter than google maps and would load faster, but it wasn't supported for that device.
  • There is no better way to connect to the Telephony on your phone than relying on the native interface. No apps available which display phone contacts, call logs, messages etc. So the phone connectivity experience is next to NIL. Including audio playback over Bluetooth.
  • Also, there is an octa-core version with 6GB RAM (Woodman) which you might want to check out.
  • Haven't tried connecting the phone to see if Android Auto launches itself on the HU screen. That might be possible and might provide a better experience.
Got in touch with their customer support team. Below is the link for their top end model compatible with Tata Nexon and supports Android Auto as well. Just thinking if it makes sense to invest almost 30k on an unknown brand as compared to the Pioneer and Blaupunkt's of the world!

https://hiwoodman.com/product/woodma...-audio-system/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadigar View Post
We are in the same boat Varun_G, let's connect
The SA shared a huge list of accessories. I'm picking only mud flaps, floor mats, boot mat, and parcel tray (if I switch to XMA) with bargains. There is an awesome thread on imperial leathers for car seat covers, check it out. I'm planning to install steering leather wrap and full floor noodle mats (as they anyway remove the seats).
Great nadigar. Where have you purchased your car from? Are
you buying the above accessories from the dealer and if yes then what is the discount being offered? When is the car being delivered?

I checked out the Imperial Leathers website. Looks quite promising. Let me know if you are planning to visit sometime next month. We can negotiate a deal together for 2 cars

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd January 2021 at 09:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
Old 2nd January 2021, 09:19   #3558
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon - XMA(S) Accessories

Quote:
I asked my brother to check on this feature after coming to know about it on the Harrier AT Review page. It works on the Nexon as well. As soon as the rain sensor detects water, the sunroof, if open, closes itself automatically.
Not a surprise. Its a vital feature with sun-roof cars. Especially since they are giving auto-wipers - I was quite sure that the car will have auto-close given that the rain-sensor is already equipped. In fact I'm sure the auto-wipers are piggy backing. Main purpose of the rain sensor is actually for the sun-roof.
Quote:
There is no better way to connect to the Telephony on your phone than relying on the native interface. No apps available which display phone contacts, call logs, messages etc. So the phone connectivity experience is next to NIL. Including audio playback over Bluetooth.
  1. My Android head unit (procured for just 7000 INR) syncs absolutely fine.
  2. Contact data, telephony & call history is all visible on the head unit native BlueTooth app. Note - you need to open the Bluetooth app on it & then go to the contact/recent tab Or dial-pad.
  3. Similarly - there is a BT Music native app on the head unit. It connects automatically when phone is BT connected to the HU and music playback including pause/seek buttons is absolutely fine. I have set Spotify as the default music app on my phone and I play on Spotify on the phone - via the normal BT Music app. Just like the old days of non-touch screen HUs. Works absolutely fine for me.
Quote:
Also, there is an octa-core version with 6GB RAM (Woodman) which you might want to check out.
Would be an overkill & costly IMO. These Chinese HUs devices deserve only a limited amount of money. I don't see the need of a very heavy configuration for routine usage either. Large RAM & high speed CPU would be mainly needed for multi-tasking / ultra high definition video playback. Both of which are really no-no in a car IMHO.
Quote:
Haven't tried connecting the phone to see if Android Auto launches itself on the HU screen. That might be possible and might provide a better experience.
Android auto will not work. You need to buy a little dongle to connect to the HU & then install android auto on the HU also. Its quite a hassle to be honest. And not worth it. With an android HU, need of Android Auto is pretty much non existent.

You can have a look at this video on YouTube for how-to.

Quote:
Does DSP improve the audio quality as some high end woodman systems claim? It's all dependent upon the network connectivity right?
Again - Woodman, Matrix, Blaupunkt, Hypersonic - All just names with basic software changes here and there. Systems are more or less the same. Some have a built-in chip for DSP, some don't. Some packages come with the can-bus adapter (external) in the kit & some don't. Just ask the seller to send a clear picture of all package contents laid out on the table before dispatch. Can-bus adapter is a simple 2x3 inch black little box with wires that hides externally behind the head unit.

DSP is Digital Sound Processing. It emulates and modifies the signals to the speakers based on your entered settings. From a speaker placed at the same spot - it can provide output to emulate a different sound to make it feel better for your ear's relative position. So you can set that the speaker is in the door OR in the parcel tray (near your shoulder height) and the DSP chip modifies the signal going to the speakers to give still the best direct audio experience for your position. And similar customizations via better equalization etc. It has not much related with signal reception etc. It works on whatever audio input you feed into the head-unit in a passive manner.
Does XMA trim come with mounted microphone for handling the phone calls? If yes, connecting with that is also needed.
Quote:
Is it straight forward to get the reverse camera connected to HU without touching the OEM reverse sensor cables?
Yes. Separate wiring. If you get a can-bus enabled head unit - even the reverse parking sensor inputs are connected & you get the sensor feedback also on the head unit screen.
Quote:
Got in touch with their customer support team. Below is the link for their top end model compatible with Tata Nexon and supports Android Auto as well. Just thinking if it makes sense to invest almost 30k on an unknown brand as compared to the Pioneer and Blaupunkt's of the world!
Woodman systems have been around on Amazon & Flipkart since many (MANY!) years. I somehow never had the courage to go for this brand. Just another rebadging of Chinese goods imported in bulk. Don't pay extra for this brand over other Android HUs. It does not deserve any premium for brand.

Does Pioneer have a Nexon compatible + Android HU? I don't think it does. Sony & Pioneer are still holding on to their proprietary operating systems coupled with Android Auto. I have personally used a Sony AX5000 (pretty much their top of the line touch-unit till recent months) for more than an year in my previous car. I like the Android HU more over it. Primary reason - Android Auto itself is very buggy still. So no matter which brand's HU you use - it will suddenly disconnect / crash / refuse to open. Google has a long way to go with Android Auto stability still.

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd January 2021 at 09:49.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:59   #3559
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

I have genuine leather steering cover for 3 years now. Is it advisable to use leather conditioner/cleaner/polish on this? My concern is, 'will it slip'?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_3830.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:06   #3560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I have genuine leather steering cover for 3 years now. Is it advisable to use leather conditioner/cleaner/polish on this? My concern is, 'will it slip'?
Yes you can use polish/conditioner periodically to maintain the Lustre, however use only a small amount and ensure its rubbed/polished well and no slipping should occur.

Step 1 - Application with a soft pad / cotton pad
Step 2 - Wipe down with a Chamois or with a Sponge Applicator
Step 3 (If needed) - Gentle swipes with a Microfiber cloth
milin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 13:46   #3561
BHPian

Quote:
Woodman systems have been around on Amazon & Flipkart since many (MANY!) years. I somehow never had the courage to go for this brand. Just another rebadging of Chinese goods imported in bulk. Don't pay extra for this brand over other Android HUs. It does not deserve any premium for brand.

Does Pioneer have a Nexon compatible + Android HU? I don't think it does. Sony & Pioneer are still holding on to their proprietary operating systems coupled with Android Auto. I have personally used a Sony AX5000 (pretty much their top of the line touch-unit till recent months) for more than an year in my previous car. I like the Android HU more over it. Primary reason - Android Auto itself is very buggy still. So no matter which brand's HU you use - it will suddenly disconnect / crash / refuse to open. Google has a long way to go with Android Auto stability still.
So in a nutshell, all display units suck and you just have to live with it. It doesn't make sense to pay a premium for any of these AHUs and the brand doesn't really matter. The inbuilt Google Maps on these AHUs just require a mobile hotspot for real time navigation and performs better than Android Auto maps.

An AHU with 2GB RAM and 16/32GB ROM is decent enough to support basic navigation and music streaming. I checked out the MotorBasket one but it is available in just 1GB RAM and 16GB ROM configuration so I am assuming 1GB will result in a bigger lag. The one with Woodman is available in a better config but commanding a premium over MotorBasket.

https://hiwoodman.com/product/woodma...ar-model=Nexon

@nadgir: I also inquired about the auto dimming IRVM on IndiaMart and one local distributor is quoting 5k-6k for it.
Varun_G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 14:22   #3562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The leather works place from where I got my cover installed - did tell me to use polish on it. In fact - they advised to use a very little amount of the ubiquitous NIVEA blue tin moisturizer cream on it.
Quote:
So in a nutshell, all display units suck and you just have to live with it.
This is a totally subjective item & depends on what each individual expects from the system. I for one - have clear expectations from these in-car systems. And I don't think they suck at all . The Android HU & the Nexon's OEM Harman HU - both are fine IMO, as long as the expectations are correct.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 16:26   #3563
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I dabbed a little bit of this and the leather seems to be absorbing it. Nivea might make it greasy I feel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The leather works place from where I got my cover installed - did tell me to use polish on it. In fact - they advised to use a very little amount of the ubiquitous NIVEA blue tin moisturizer cream on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_4126.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:00   #3564
BHPian

Got my Nexon XZ+ Diesel's 3rd year service done. The car has done around 55k kms and was supposed to complete 60k kms by now, but thanks to COVID, the reading is lower. Surprisingly, Tata recommends timing kit replacement at 3 yrs or 150k kms for Nexon Diesel. This is really weird (and expensive). The total bill came to around INR17,000 (service + timing kit). Has anyone else got the 3rd year service done recently? 3 years appears to be a very short interval for timing kit. Anyways, the car is running a bit smoother and less noisy now.
tarik.arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:41   #3565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Has anyone else got the 3rd year service done recently? 3 years appears to be a very short interval for timing kit. Anyways, the car is running a bit smoother and less noisy now.
Absolutely agreed. However, its specified clearly in the service manual intervals, so can't argue during warranty. This is one item where the Brezza DDiS trumped the Nexon. With its chain drive for timing, the 1.3MJD didnt need any such expenses pretty much for entire life.

Rather cheeky of Tata to go for belt driven timing kit for the 1.5RTQ, when they've seen the difference chain makes, having been manufacturing the MJD themselves for a decade. This is a nice recurring expense to keep the cash register ringing.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 10:08   #3566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Absolutely agreed. However, its specified clearly in the service manual intervals, so can't argue during warranty. This is one item where the Brezza DDiS trumped the Nexon. With its chain drive for timing, the 1.3MJD didnt need any such expenses pretty much for entire life.
True. This is just one way of making recurring money. However, the 1.3 MJD engine also needed timing chain replacement pretty early. The 90PS variant, needed replacement at 60k or 90k kms (dont recall exactly). I am sure of this because my previous car was a Zest AMT which had the 1.3 engine in its 90PS avtaar. The worst part in Nexon is the 3 year cap. Not everyone drives a lot and for someone who keeps his car for long, this is surely an over-the-top expense.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 09:48   #3567
BHPian

Quote:
Great! Will contact them and check the price. Any sources for seat covers and other small accessories?
Hi Varun,

Please share the contact details in case you get in touch with these guys. I am looking for mats as well.

Thanks
Naveen
Old 4th January 2021, 10:58   #3568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenp View Post
Hi Varun,

Please share the contact details in case you get in touch with these guys. I am looking for mats as well.

Thanks
Naveen
Hey Naveen, When are you expecting your car to be delivered? Maybe the three of us (You, me and Nadigar)can connect and work out deals with various vendors for our required accessories.
Varun_G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 11:08   #3569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
True. This is just one way of making recurring money. However, the 1.3 MJD engine also needed timing chain replacement pretty early. The 90PS variant, needed replacement at 60k or 90k kms (dont recall exactly). I am sure of this because my previous car was a Zest AMT which had the 1.3 engine in its 90PS avtaar. The worst part in Nexon is the 3 year cap. Not everyone drives a lot and for someone who keeps his car for long, this is surely an over-the-top expense.
It is 60K Kms with the 1.3 MJD engine.
naveenp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 11:38   #3570
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Naveen, When are you expecting your car to be delivered? Maybe the three of us (You, me and Nadigar)can connect and work out deals with various vendors for our required accessories.
Hey Varun, I booked on Dec-4th at Adishakthi motors. Have been told 8-10 weeks of waiting time. So i might get the vehicle between last week of Jan to mid-Feb. Would be great fi we can team-up and cut a good deal
If you havent checked already, check-out Exotica Car seats. they have a good rating on Google as well.
naveenp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed