Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2021, 16:37   #3631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_G View Post
Apologies for asking this noob question out here but I always believed that seat covers are required as an additional layer of protection for stock seats.
Tata does not cut cost on the seat fabric or the seats themselves, good quality they are and best not to mess with it on a new car.

Its a habit of people to spend some money on a new car, its a lot like buying a case for a TV remote or a phone. The reasons they find for changing the fire retardant, UV stable, good looking, breathable fabric seats into something that is used to make cheap handbags is beyond my understanding. Some say kids will spoil the fabric seats, rexin is easier to clean etc.
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 19:29   #3632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A recent trend has been to remove that OE fabric seat also and install the seat covers directly on the foam. I dont prefer this, but many are.
Yes. I enquired about seat covers recently and was told this was the way to get "best fit". They quoted ~2k more for this process compared to "slip-on" process. I somehow couldn't fathom someone ripping through new seats and was a strong no right from word go.
Fabric seats on Nexon actually look the right shade for me. And am inclined towards retaining them as is without any seat covers.
Old 15th January 2021, 19:39   #3633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenp View Post
And am inclined towards retaining them as is without any seat covers.
And I dont see what would one do with the removed set. Keep them at home and let it gather dust before finally throwing in the dustbin ? Or throw in the dustbin rightaway ? Doesnt make sense.

I'd rather let it be there, and add covers on top of the OE fabric.
Old 15th January 2021, 19:47   #3634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Tata does not cut cost on the seat fabric or the seats themselves, good quality they are and best not to mess with it on a new car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Only in the last year of ownership I installed PU leather seat covers because of my 2 year old son being in the car. However - after that - I made a decision that I'll never use seat covers

I stick to the fabric seat covers and get the 3M / Wurth interior cleaning & enrichment treatment done once or twice an year. Keeps things visually as well as hygienically clean and as good as new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
It's not required. In most cases, OEM seat covers are much better in quality and way more comfortable than many budget seat covers. Personally, I find Nexon fabric seats are quite good. Of course, maintaining fabric seat covers may require more efforts.
Thank you guys for your inputs. I always thought seat covers were a must for a new car, more like a screen protector for a new cell phone. Your replies made that misconception go away and saved me 10k - 15k

I guess I was a bit worried about my 2 year old spoiling the new seats especially this being my first car but I guess fabric cleaning can be taken care of and seat covers can be installed in the future if the damage is caused beyond repair in a few years
Varun_G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 06:40   #3635
Senior - BHPian

Service/servicing is now open 24/7, in Bangalore. Key Motors has started it since yesterday, at their Mysore Road facility. Karnataka is allowing businesses to be open full time. I think, after introducing some very cool products, 'service' will be Tata Motors' main focus.
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 08:44   #3636
BHPian

One accessory which has recently been gaining a lot of traction is the TPMS. Since only the top models are equipped with this functionality, the market for 3rd party TPMS has seen a lot of traction and new entrants. Infact even companies such as CEAT have launched smart tires now with inbuilt TPMS functionality.

I believe the TPMS is indeed a useful feature but it costs a bomb to get them installed either at showroom or 3rd party. Does it make sense to buy a portable tire inflator around 2k which will solve the purpose of a manual TPMS as well as pumping in air at your disposal, all this at a fraction of a cost of installing a TPMS?

Bonus application: Can be used to inflate toys as well for your young ones 😉

Reference Product for Air Inflator:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B084262JL9/..._.LLaGbQKP17CS
Varun_G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 14:54   #3637
BHPian

I need help if possible from existing nexon IRA (connected car) owners.
Recently my brother bought a nexon automatic top model with IRA at my hometown in Jammu when I was there. Just because of this tech he spent considerably more than a lower model. He is not fond of a sunroof.
At the time of delivery, when we asked about IRA, all the salesmen were surprised as none had a clue about it (I'm pretty sure they have never sold any connected car before ours). They said that they will have to do kyc and will get back to us later (after consulting someone), but they didn't. Escalated the issue to Tata motors and multiple people called and again my brother went to the dealership today but the issue is still not resolved. In the meanwhile, we had a short road trip which required us to cover some distance in Punjab. We noticed that IRA is working in Punjab but not in J&K. We specifically conveyed this observation to Tata customer care and dealership and both of them were not sure about it.
IRA works with an esim. They have alloted a BSNL esim for our car. A prepaid SIM from j&k doesn't work out of state and vice versa. Could this be a reason? Or it's just a connection issue as told by the dealership recently. Or some other reason?
We are raising the complaint with Tata motors but in the meanwhile, I would like to hear opinions about this matter.
Old 16th January 2021, 16:17   #3638
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker48 View Post
They have alloted a BSNL esim for our car. A prepaid SIM from j&k doesn't work out of state and vice versa. Could this be a reason? Or it's just a connection issue as told by the dealership recently. Or some other reason?
This could be the only possible reason. Interesting to know how TATA didn't account for this while designing the feature.

The eSIMs in the car are Airtel (Primary) and BSNL(fall-back). The paltry 500/800 bucks they charge for annual renewal of iRA might only be feasible on a pre-paid SIM. Paying the monthly rental for a post paid SIM might be heavy on the wallet and might require some customized solution from TATA at the back-end.

As of now it seems like a case of cheating. Not mentioning to the customer that iRA and connected car features are not available in certain states of India.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 17:35   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker48 View Post
Recently my brother bought a nexon automatic top model with IRA at my hometown in Jammu ... A prepaid SIM from j&k doesn't work out of state and vice versa. Could this be a reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
This could be the only possible reason. Interesting to know how TATA didn't account for this while designing the feature.
Please check whether KYC for eSIM was done using J&K address proof or not. Otherwise, the above statement is contradictory! If the KYC for eSIM was done using J&K address proof and if J&K prepaid eSIM doesn't work out side the state then why should iRA work out side the state of J&K (i.e. in Punjab)?

After all, eSIM is just like a regular SIM which is embedded inside the car's computer and which allows it to connect to the regular mobile towers as like your mobile phone. In any case, currently internet access is heavily restricted in J&K. So this restriction could also be a reason apart from a local connectivity issue.

Best,

Last edited by gmhossain : 16th January 2021 at 17:53.
gmhossain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 18:05   #3640
Senior - BHPian

TPMS helps in alerting you of a tyre which is fast losing air. Sometimes it so happens that a nail is embedded in and the tyre wont go soft all at once. That's dandy. An Inflator is, well - there to ensure correct air pressure. Both perform different duties
Quote:
Does it make sense to buy a portable tire inflator around 2k which will solve the purpose of a manual TPMS as well as pumping in air at your disposal, all this at a fraction of a cost of installing a TPMS?
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 19:43   #3641
BHPian

Quote:
Does it make sense to buy a portable tire inflator around 2k which will solve the purpose of a manual TPMS as well as pumping in air at your disposal, all this at a fraction of a cost of installing a TPMS?
Irrespective of whether you have TPMS or not, I would recommend you to have a portable inflator, specially if you go for a long drive. I have a smaller one (ResQTech for ~1K) for last 5+ years. It stays in the car and I use it regularly to top up the air pressure.

Once I got a nail in my tubeless tyre in the middle of nowhere. I used the inflator to top up the air pressure as the nail appeared well stuck. From there I drove for another 250+ km to reach home. Later the nail was removed at a FNG.

Best,

Last edited by gmhossain : 16th January 2021 at 19:50.
gmhossain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 14:36   #3642
BHPian

Hello Bhpians

My 2018 XZ+ Diesel has some issue with the front driver side speaker. The speaker cone seems busted. Took my car to the service center but they dont have the OEM speakers in stock. Planning to order it from Boodmo and get it replaced outside. There are 2 such speakers listed on Boodmo, 1 is priced around 1,100, while the other is priced around 1,700. No specifications have been given so I am a bit confused. Any recommendations? I like the stock sound, otherwise would have upgraded the front set to something even better.
Old 17th January 2021, 16:22   #3643
BHPian

Hi all, my father in law finally got his Nexon Petrol XZA+ yesterday. I have driven the car for close to 30kms and I must say that the jerks of AMT are less noticeable in the BS6 version of Petrol compared to the BS4 version. The engine is powerful to drive too. The foliage green colour looks dashing on the car.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-dfdc3be39da84d1c8718a5dcbb4dfc6d.jpeg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-d066e6d06bab4448977a45f1ba96f704.jpeg

Last edited by sahil624 : 17th January 2021 at 16:23.
sahil624 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 17:02   #3644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi all, my father in law finally got his Nexon Petrol XZA+ yesterday. I have driven the car for close to 30kms and I must say that the jerks of AMT are less noticeable in the BS6 version of Petrol compared to the BS4 version. The engine is powerful to drive too. The foliage green colour looks dashing on the car.
Congratulations on the new ride! Looks stunning. Wishing the family safe drives and hassle free ownership.
When was the car booked by the way?
Old 18th January 2021, 10:55   #3645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the TPMS is indeed a useful feature but it costs a bomb to get them installed either at showroom or 3rd party. Does it make sense to buy a portable tire inflator around 2k which will solve the purpose of a manual TPMS as well as pumping in air at your disposal, all this at a fraction of a cost of installing a TPMS?
In general on a stationary car - we can gauge the air pressure being within thresholds by just looking at the tyre or by kicking it! Without any precision of course. The portable inflator is certainly one of the must haves in a car. However - manual pressure gauges / inflators are NOT a replacement for TPMS per se.

The real purpose of a TPMS is to be alerted when there is a sudden / slow puncture while the car is already in motion. These are the trickiest ones and go unnoticed during cruising on highways. If the driver doesn't realize that pressure is being lost - eventually the tyre disintegrates and can have catastrophic consequences. This is where TPMS is a life-saver. On modern, high speed roads and when cruising on them.

Its worth the 3000 to 6000 that TPMS generally costs. After spending 10+ big ones on a car, this amount is next to nothing, and worth spending certainly. Given the generally assured 5 year life-span, it comes to around 1k per year for the entire set. Not much.

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th January 2021 at 10:58.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks