Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2021, 12:28   #3871
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata silently changes roof rail design of Nexon again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
As you can see, the car featured in the image is the Nexon facelift. However, it has the old style roof rails that don't extend all the way to the top of the A-pillars. While, it's only a minor update, Tata may have discovered a design flaw with the new roof rails. It also shows how the product is being constantly refined.
The older design seen on the BS6 models can be seen here:

Tata Nexon : Official Review-e4.jpg

These were made of plastic and are purely for aesthetic purposes. They didn't have any mounting points or a profile suitable for rooftop storage accessories.

Possibility-1: Switching back to the older design ones seems to be for functional reasons as they are made of Aluminium and their design seems to allow mounting of accessories. In which case, the rail acts as a track allowing the mounting foot for the accessory to be slid back or forth based on requirement before clamping it down.

Possibility-2: It could also be to cut down wind noise.

Possibility-3: Manage unused inventory.
Tgo is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 12:29   #3872
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Can I check why we say “silently” changed the design ?
Probably not called out or mentioned in the feature list/ads/spec sheet ?
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 12:39   #3873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Can I check why we say “silently” changed the design ? Do we believe automakers should be making an ad splurge for such updates ?
+1 sir. Quoting what the Tata Nexon brochure says on the last page at the bottom corner:

Quote:
Specifications/features subject to change without prior information. Please consult an authorised Tata Motors dealer for latest information on features/specifications before deciding to place an order.
May be this is the reason why every manufacturer has this mentioned in their footer notes in all the brochures.

Also I don't think this is restricted to Tata/Hyundai/Honda or any other manufacturer but the same is also found in brochure's of electronic items where there are updates as time and technology progresses.

Since everything around is changing/updating, displaying every change specifically to the masses will make life difficult for manufacturers who will have to allocate a specific extra budget for these new advertisements. IMHO not required since that money can be spent elsewhere in the manufacturing chain like R&D area or tools/manufacturing line improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Tata Nexon BS6 got a host of cosmetic updates earlier this year. Besides the revised front fascia, the car also got new roof rails. Well, it now seems like Tata has silently reverted back to the old roof rail design.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 12:53   #3874
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2 cents -
  1. What we are seeing now - is the rail design of the gen 1 Nexon (2017 to June 2019). It seems to be made of aluminum but some owners have reported surface rust on some parts of it. While metallic - it is NOT functional. The mounting points are still more or less plasticky & the rails will not have load-bearing capability unless they have actually made design changes on the roof edges to make it load bearing. Visually I feel this "old" design looks better IMHO.
  2. The design we have seen on 2020 Nexon actually rolled out in July 2019 along with other updates (piano black panels on steering, door handles & cooled rear AC vents). My pre-face-lift Nexon has this new (now old again?) design of roof rails. Its plastic. Looks good but doesn't feel all that premium to touch!

This continuous mix and match, permutations & combinations and to-fro changes are going to create a spare part & logistics nightmare for suppliers and ASCs + customers in future when part replacements linked to chassis numbers are to be done. Changing such minor cosmetic parts too often means inventories can't be planned and per-unit price of such parts doesn't reduce as much as it can.

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th March 2021 at 13:18.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 12:59   #3875
BHPian

Not quite sure, but may be this may have something to deal with Sintex-BAPL Plant fire incident in Pune, quite number of Plastic Injection molds have been partially damaged, not just for TATA but for some other manufacturers too.
Adam is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 13:47   #3876
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Hi Guys,

I got my Nexon fog lamp replaced under warranty last week. Water was entering inside the lamp earlier. Today while washing, I noticed scratches on bumper, where fog lamp holder joins it. See images. This must have happened while mechanic replacing the bulb. But unfortunately, I didn't notice it at the time. Will the service center repaint it for free as its their fault ?. How do I proceed if they refuse to ?. while the scratches are not that noticeable, its still bugging my mind t
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexon-bumper-scratch.jpg  

Old 9th March 2021, 14:14   #3877
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewspaul View Post
I noticed scratches on bumper, where fog lamp holder joins it. See images. This must have happened while mechanic replacing the bulb. But unfortunately, I didn't notice it at the time. Will the service center repaint it for free as its their fault ?. How do I proceed if they refuse to ?. while the scratches are not that noticeable, its still bugging my mind.
I suggest you let it be. They are hardly visible even in a close-up. If you really want a closure on it - talk to ASC - ask them to just do a brush touch-up on it. Don't ask for a full blown-spraying job. They can do a quick paint-brush touch up on the visible parts. Another ASC visit in my mind always is just another invitation for more scratches somewhere else.

This seems to have happened due to using a screw driver / metal tool to pry open the fog light shroud instead of a plastic removal tool OR a soft covering on the screw-driver tip.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 14:28   #3878
BHPian

Tata Nexon ESP and Traction control. Got this in my Google feed.

Credits to the uploader
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 14:30   #3879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I suggest you let it be. They are hardly visible even in a close-up.
This seems to have happened due to using a screw driver / metal tool to pry open the fog light shroud instead of a plastic removal tool OR a soft covering on the screw-driver tip.

SA just now replied that they can do a touch up. But I need to take the vehicle to their body shop for this (Which is 75 km away). I am not very keen on driving that much just for this, so thinking of leaving it as such.

I also notice some rusting near engine bay, which I showed to SA. And he recommended repainting . Again I have to take the vehicle to body shop. Is this normal behavior in a 10 month old car ?.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexon-bonnet-rust.jpg  

mathewspaul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 14:42   #3880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewspaul View Post
I also notice some rusting near engine bay, which I showed to SA. And he recommended repainting . Again I have to take the vehicle to body shop. Is this normal behavior in a 10 month old car?
Minor surface rust here and there is not an alarming situation but certainly not a pleasant sight. If you can - certainly get it repainted by them. Does your car get subjected to water wash inside the engine bay often? It looks like this is caused by frequent stagnated water in that gap. (Or water spillage during filling the washer fluid.) For now - I won't be too worried about this. But if I have a chance - I'd surely get it painted properly.

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th March 2021 at 14:43.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 08:12   #3881
BHPian

First service for my Nexon xza+ petrol is due in a week. Has anyone serviced their vehicle in Prerana Motors' service centre at Kudlu gate Bangalore? This is where I am planning to take my car for first service. Will they let me near the bay when they service my vehicle? with recent anecdotes on theft and damage to the car during service, I am not too comfortable to be out of sight from my car.

My user experience with Nexon has been smooth so far. Nothing untoward. It is a very comfortable place at the driver's seat in Nexon. I can't help but smile everytime I take the car out for a ride. There are a couple of things though that do concern me a bit.

1. A feeble but clear rattling noise from rear left door. I think this is where the noise is from. It gets pronounced when riding on bumpy roads. I tried to ignore but it does bother me that I am tempted to bring this to the notice at the time of first service. But I am. worried they will introduce more rattles.

2. Mileage. Of course, I knew before I purchased what I can realistically expect. I wasn't an uninformed buyer. But my MID shows an average of 8.0 km/l for the past 50 kms. So the reality is somewhere between 6 and 8. I was expecting at least around 9-10 in Bangalore City traffic with ac on most of the time. But 6 or 7 is something I haven't heard anyone report.

My software version R7. 20 and 14 December 2019 release date. I read about a new update. Should I ask for this during first service? Are there any other updates?
alphasri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 16:28   #3882
Distinguished - BHPian

Request Sensor Troubles of the Nexon - Owners locked out of the car with key inside

For the 3rd time in a matter of 1 month - I have heard of a friend / colleague having locked themselves out of the Nexon, with key-fob left inside the car. Worst is - they were stranded at places they had visited - far away from their homes. So had no access to the back-up key at home. And I have read/heard/seen multiple such occurrences over last year also. Eventually the standard car-jacking solution of using a long ruler to snap open the lock manually comes to rescue. (Good luck finding a ruler/mechanic at midnight in case this happens out of hours. And asking a car-thief for help might not be best .)

So this is what happens -
  1. Key-fob is left in car, owner forgets it, steps out & pushes the request sensor.
  2. The doors lock!?
  3. Afterwards - the doors refuse to unlock from outside because the key is "sensed" to be inside the car (or the key is not sensed to be near enough the request sensor). This of course is expected behaviour - but the doors shouldn't have been allowed to lock in first place.

What is bothering me is -
  1. This is reported in small numbers because only few people might be keeping the key inside the car & stepping out mistakenly leaving the key back in the cabin. What if this actually is an issue in a much larger number of cars - yet unnoticed.
  2. In most cases - the reported issue is that the doors lock with key inside. What happens if it also accidentally happens in the other way? That I'm waiting at a traffic signal or something - car is locked from inside, but some miscreant approaches from outside & pushes the button. What if the doors actually unlock immediately compromising my safety & giving no reaction time?

As a Nexon owner who also has the smart key-fob (which I really don't like as a feature. Flippy manual key for me any day!) - it makes me quite anxious. This is not a problem I'd ever like to face. Is there some inherent issue in these cars or technology? Should this actually be thoroughly tested, fixed & result into some sort of a recall if required? I believe such issues might be faced in other cars also, not just the Nexon. Puts the whole concept about request sensor / key-less entry & go under the scanner. Doesn't really make sense to have this extra point of failure in the system. (For this reason - I also voted for flippy key on the other thread where these options were discussed.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th March 2021 at 16:42.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 17:54   #3883
BHPian

The Nexon I test drove had a problem with the reverse gear shift. The sales rep guy struggled to get the gear back to Neutral from reverse. Looked over the internet and there were couple of videos about this. Is this a common problem in Nexon? If yes, is there a better approach to make the reverse shift.
Old 10th March 2021, 17:59   #3884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[list=1][*]Key-fob is left in car, owner forgets it, steps out & pushes the request sensor.[*]The doors lock!?
I have tried this many times, with key inside and trying to lock, it does not lock, then i realize key is inside. Then take out key and locks. Works perfectly for me. Mine is 2019 model.
shamanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 18:21   #3885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Request Sensor Troubles of the Nexon - Owners locked out of the car with key inside

For the 3rd time in a matter of 1 month - I have heard of a friend / colleague having locked themselves out of the Nexon, with key-fob left inside the car. Worst is - they were stranded at places they had visited - far away from their homes. So had no access to the back-up key at home. And I have read/heard/seen multiple such occurrences over last year also. Eventually the standard car-jacking solution of using a long ruler to snap open the lock manually comes to rescue.
There were many cases where the owner would press the lock button on the keyfob inadvertently and then somehow leaves the key inside - for instance carrying a child from the back seat, leaves the key in and shuts the door. The car would sense that now all doors are shut and locks itself. Many newer cars does this across brands.

In some vehicles , they do not use a solid linkage, but a accelerator cable like set up inside the door handle, you are going to have to pry the top of the door open and put some sort of a hook to open the door handle from inside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks