Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 11:29   #4036
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Tata Updates Nexon Alloy Design

Personally I liked the gen 1 alloys the most, and now I feel the outgoing 2020 Nexon wheels were better than what has now appeared. Nothing "wrong" in this new design - seems quite sporty, just not to my taste I guess.
+1; These new ones almost look like aftermarket ones!

First-gen and facelift definitely had plain but classier looking ones.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 11:31   #4037
Senior - BHPian

Why fix something that ain't broken? These new alloys look more like an aftermarket set than OE. I prefer the Gen-1 & Gen-2 designs over this new design for sure.

What could possibly be the reason behind a change like this? Cost saving exercise due to simpler design?
aravind.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 12:34   #4038
BHPian

To be honest I like these better than the outgoing ones. But I do agree the first gen was the best!

For me Gen 1 > Gen 3 > Gen 2
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 13:28   #4039
BHPian

The design is okay. Looks decent. I prefer the look of 5 spoke alloy wheels. Nothing astounding, but nothing to frown upon either.
DriverNo.420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 13:32   #4040
BHPian

The new alloy wheel design is alright but it just looks wrong on such a butch car.
The first and the current one complemented Nexon's upright manly stance beautifully well! The new ones are just too sporty for the car and would actually look better on other smaller Tatas.
First they removed the physical buttons for the music system and now this! What is Tata upto??!!
Nazaar25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 14:42   #4041
BHPian

Like the original alloys and it looks more matured design. The new one if i can call that "flower design" is more suitable for small hatchbacks.
sunilkm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 14:57   #4042
BHPian

For some reason, I like the current 2020 ones(which looks more elegant) to be better than the new one. I would be very happy if TATA does something about the mudflap coverage. Doors gets so dirty very easily. I think for now only solution is to go for side step bracket.
Old 28th May 2021, 17:21   #4043
BHPian

I don't know if it looks better or not. Frankly, both alloy designs look ok to me.
But Tata changes parts every every now and then for most cars. And if something fails, it is going to be a herculean task to source the exact part, especially when it grows a little old. They can do all this if they can maintain inventory correctly. If not, just don't try too much. Nexon is a good car as it is. Now don't make it difficult to live with it. I have faced issues with Vista and Dicor. Now, looking at the silent changes that they are making to the Nexon, I have a feeling that people will face similar issues with this car as well. Small things like these can make a break long term relationships with customers. It is very important if Tata wants to retain them.
DieselAddikt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 22:54   #4044
BHPian

The outgoing wheels were better suited to Nexon's design than these. Somehow these wheels appear undersized/incoherent with the design.

OT: Why is Tata reluctant towards moving the Nexon to 5 lug nuts? That would go well with these 5 spoke alloys.

What are the potential advantages/disadvantages of 4 lugs vs 5? As per my understanding 5 lug setup will have a better load bearing capacity, won't it? Please pitch in your thoughts.
TwerkyC0ffee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 23:01   #4045
Senior - BHPian

Apart from reducing potential supply chain disruptions due to sourcing from certain countries, this may also be a part of a larger plan to consolidate the vendor base and possibly alloy wheel design with the HBX? To leverage economies of scale hence pushing unit costs down?
Like Tiago & Tigor who share common 15-inchers for their top models

Tata usually sources from Wheels India based out of Chennai(if you look at the inside of the alloys of a Tata vehicle, good chances rhat you'll spot "WIL" - Wheels India Ltd" insignia stamped on it.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 23:21   #4046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Tata Updates Nexon Alloy Design

Personally I liked the gen 1 alloys the most, and now I feel the outgoing 2020 Nexon wheels were better than what has now appeared. Nothing "wrong" in this new design - seems quite sporty, just not to my taste I guess.

Attachment 2161177
I think they were inspired by the shape of the Ecosport's Sports version's alloy, which looks like this:

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20210310_164858.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 23:37   #4047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
The outgoing wheels were better suited to Nexon's design than these. Somehow these wheels appear undersized/incoherent with the design.

OT: Why is Tata reluctant towards moving the Nexon to 5 lug nuts? That would go well with these 5 spoke alloys.

What are the potential advantages/disadvantages of 4 lugs vs 5? As per my understanding 5 lug setup will have a better load bearing capacity, won't it? Please pitch in your thoughts.
But if 4 lug nuts are already doing the job well enough, why spend so much on R&D, develop new hubs and wheels (different from the rest of the stable), take the trouble to test and validate them, and spend more money on every single car to do the exact same function?
aravind.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 03:40   #4048
BHPian

These alloys are my favourite (from Generation 1 of Nexon). For some, these might be a boring design but I loved it.
Source of picture:- CarWale
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-1c0a95d0247b4e04b390af250c2e87dc.jpeg  

Last edited by Bhalla : 29th May 2021 at 03:42. Reason: Added image
Bhalla is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 09:18   #4049
BHPian

The new ones look like wheel caps. Seriously, this makes it a good design for wheel caps rather than alloys. I hope they provide alloy options.

Last edited by Benoit : 29th May 2021 at 09:19.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 09:49   #4050
BHPian

I like the design but I don't like how the 4 holes don't line up with the 5 spokes properly.

Usually, OEM designs overcome this by having a larger centre hub which covers up the spoke/hole mismatch, like in the case of the Ecosport or the original Nexon alloys. This is a proper design fail, IMO.

I've always wondered why OEMs still use different PCDs. Things would be so much easier if they used the same PCD for a bolt pattern, like 100 for 4 holes, 120 for 5 holes etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks