Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2021, 11:10   #4051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

That new one looks like something Hyundai had on the old Creta. Only smaller. Now it looks like an aftermarket addition. Probably cut costs changing supplier?

With lockdown its not surprising if businesses that are desperate to stay afloat take up tenders and supply manufacturers for pittance.
Old 29th May 2021, 11:21   #4052
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
What are the potential advantages/disadvantages of 4 lugs vs 5? As per my understanding 5 lug setup will have a better load bearing capacity, won't it? Please pitch in your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But if 4 lug nuts are already doing the job well enough, why spend so much on R&D, develop new hubs and wheels (different from the rest of the stable), take the trouble to test and validate them, and spend more money on every single car to do the exact same function?
Just to expand on this a bit:

Manufacturers have the same bolt pattern (Number of bolts, PCD, and bolt size and type for a certain weight category of cars. For the heavier cars you might have a smaller safety margin and for the lighter cars you might have a larger margin. But, you are always within the safe limits. What possibly remains the same as a result of this is the hub and bearings for a range of cars (Tiago, Tigor, Nexon, Altroz). Basically lets you use the same internals while making differentiation possible by changing the alloy design.

This helps achieve economy of scale aided by
- the cost savings associated with one less bolt per corner,
- reduction in machining costs for the hub and the wheel which has one less bolt,
- capital cost saving on machinery required (if it a simultaneous process (4/5 holes at once)) etc...

For the next category (Harrier, Safari, Hexa) they have a 5 bolt design for which the increase in weight seems to be the driving factor.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 13:20   #4053
Senior - BHPian

Tata lost the design head and it’s evidently showing in their choice already! Ugly looking after market inspired alloys. I hope they don’t mess up the sweet looking face in their (un)planned future releases or bad-patch releases.
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 13:36   #4054
BHPian

Agree. the Alloy wheels look like much cheaper steel wheels and hub caps !

Looks like the taste quotient has come down quite a bit since Mr Bose quit.
Old 29th May 2021, 18:39   #4055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Personally I liked the gen 1 alloys the most, and now I feel the outgoing 2020 Nexon wheels were better than what has now appeared. Nothing "wrong" in this new design - seems quite sporty, just not to my taste I guess.
+1, The original Nexon had the best design. Instead of these changes, if only Tata could improve the very laggy touch screen of Nexon?
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 10:56   #4056
BHPian

The bean counters at TATA really kill thier good products. As a personal opinion this looks hideous and really down-market. It's getting really hard to justify the VFM nature of the Nexon when components keep getting axed.

As a Harrier owner who had a soft spot for the nexon, it just slipped from my recommendation list.
Bluengel180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 11:15   #4057

Planning to upgrade my 2008 GLE Petrol Hyundai Getz.

Considering Nexon XZ+ Petrol , Honda City 4th Gen Petrol VMT.

Water logged Bangalore roads with infamous traffic makes me to graviatate towards Nexon.
Hassle free ownership, bigger space, tried-tested engine pushes towards City.

Have been confused for long.

Please help me out, people.
Old 30th May 2021, 11:28   #4058
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by relucutantEnthu View Post
Planning to upgrade my 2008 GLE Petrol Hyundai Getz.

Considering Nexon XZ+ Petrol, Honda City 4th Gen Petrol VMT.

Waterlogged Bangalore roads with infamous traffic make me gravitate towards Nexon. Hassle free ownership, bigger space, tried-tested engine pushes towards City.
What will be the monthly usage? I'll say go with the Nexon diesel for that awesome engine.

The current road conditions make on tilt towards SUV or C-SUV since the peace of mind they bring in is great. No need to worry about potholes or body scrapping.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 11:32   #4059

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What will be the monthly usage? I'll say go with the Nexon diesel for that awesome engine.

The current road conditions make on tilt towards SUV or C-SUV since the peace of mind they bring in is great. No need to worry about potholes or body scrapping.
Usage is very less.
Have clocked only 43k kms with the existing Getz in all these years.
Old 30th May 2021, 11:56   #4060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by relucutantEnthu View Post
Usage is very less.
Have clocked only 43k kms with the existing Getz in all these years.
Has the Getz started giving mechanical / electrical troubles due to age now? If it hasn't - (not trying to be Johny Raincloud here) - I'd honestly suggest to keep the car. For very limited running - I don't think the current uncertain times warrant or justify spending 1 million hard earned rupees to be put into a car that will stand fast for another few months. Might be better to just maintain the Getz for more & then buy the upgrade car once you are in a position to start using it regularly. If I were in your place, thats what I'd do. Keep liquid cash in hand for unplanned needs.

Last edited by Reinhard : 30th May 2021 at 11:59.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 12:55   #4061

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Has the Getz started giving mechanical / electrical troubles due to age now? If it hasn't - (not trying to be Johny Raincloud here) - I'd honestly suggest to keep the car. For very limited running - I don't think the current uncertain times warrant or justify spending 1 million hard earned rupees to be put into a car that will stand fast for another few months. Might be better to just maintain the Getz for more & then buy the upgrade car once you are in a position to start using it regularly. If I were in your place, thats what I'd do. Keep liquid cash in hand for unplanned needs.

Could not agree more with you.

Yes, Getz has started giving trouble since a year or so.

Couple of breakdowns, power steering oil leak, wobly tires etc.
Had it checked. Apparently, the list of problems is longer than I thought. Thought of getting replacing wheels, but the rims has gotten rusted.
Repair cost is more than the re-sale value.

Am told, Getz will do fine but only restricted-within-city kind of usage.

Yes. Will keep it for as long as I can.

But, need to think about replacing it in near future.
So, have been thinking of the possible options.
reluctantEnthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 16:13   #4062
BHPian

Nexon PDI experience - OK except paint quality and panel gap issues

The booking for my Nexon XZ(P) was done in December and the vehicle arrived at the yard in mid April. As the showroom was closed and no staff at the yard due to lockdown, I could push for and do the PDI ONLY today.

Initial hiccups, come on TATA!

SA got the vehicle from the yard to the service centre yesterday. The PDI was fixed at 8am during the relaxation hours of the lock down. However, the SA couldn't be there personally and the staff at the centre didn't allow without an executive. After a few arguments, an alternative executive arrived and sorted out.

Team-BHP checklist

As soon alt SA started explaining, I took out the Team-BHP checklist and the poor guy got out of the scene My spouse and I got plenty of undisturbed time for the PDI. Thank you forum for the great list!

PDI experience

The vehicle was dirty due to the rain and they apologized for that. We had to clean wherever needed. I couldn't test drive but started the engine and could check almost all the items at my own pace. The serial numbers matched against the invoice (Apr 21 mfg) and 34km on the odometer explained the distance from the yard. Got Goodyear Apr 2021 mfg tyres, Amaron battery and Harmon touch screen unit. Was expecting better - Bridgestone radials and Exide battery. As members have pointed out, the audio controls buttons are replaced by the Nexon badging now. Everything was OK except the issues quoted below.

Paint quality issues and panel gaps

A disappointing experience was the quality of the painting on the inner edges of the doors and a gap in the inner panel. Minor paint chips were observed on 3 doors but there were no signs of paint variations or
door replacements. One of the doors had a minor panel gap on the inside. Checked the beading areas as well. Request the expert openion on the issue (pics attached).

Is it expected? Planning to post them to the SA for the explanation.
Also SA asked me to handover signed blank form-20 through the watchman but promised that he'll share the filled copy for review. Looks like they affix printed text on the form. Invoice was shared, remaining certificates also to be shared before registration. Is this arrangement OK given the lockdown scenario?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20210606_150326.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20210606_143930.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20210606_143901.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20210606_150347.jpg  

nadigar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 16:21   #4063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
+1, The original Nexon had the best design. Instead of these changes, if only Tata could improve
+1 for the removal of the physical audio control buttons and replacing it with an ugly badging.
Old 7th June 2021, 10:11   #4064
BHPian

Rat Trouble!!

I have a daily visitor to my Nexon bonnet who is chewing up the interior padding over the wheels (white spongy substance). I had 3M rat repellent treatment couple of months back. The 3M guys said that rats will indeed enter but won't chew up the wires (at least they hoped). I don't know if it is possible to get this padding again at the service centre. I am losing my sleep over this. I am not able to find tobacco leaves, and I cannot travel anywhere to do something about this menace. Has anyone here experienced this problem before? rodent chewing up the white color soft padding in the interior over the front wheels? I am not seeing any damage to the wires that meets my eyes. Any suggestion to get rid of this menace is appreciated.
Old 7th June 2021, 10:24   #4065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasri View Post
Rat Trouble!!

I have a daily visitor to my Nexon bonnet who is chewing up the interior padding over the wheels (white spongy substance). I had 3M rat repellent treatment couple of months back. The 3M guys said that rats will indeed enter but won't chew up the wires (at least they hoped). I don't know if it is possible to get this padding again at the service centre.
Please ensure that you respray all possible surfaces in the engine bay every 3 months. I have been using a similar spray since more than an year now and results are satisfactory. Evidences of rat entries - but no bites anywhere.

The noise insulation fiber padding over both front wheel arch splash guards is completely destroyed in my Nexon also. However - not by rats & I suspect this might be the case in your car also. Both side wheel arches have large volume of space above them. And in my case - kittens looking for safety OR larger cats following rodents - are climbing here since times unknown now. They use this foam padding to stick nails into and climb up easily. That is what is destroying the material in my car. I have stopped looking at it to avoid heart-burn. As many as 6 kittens + their mother have been sleeping in my Nexon since 3 months now - and this cycle has been going on since a whole year. Its lucky for these cats that I'm an overall animal lover and excuse this destruction ! As a little benefit out of this - rats no longer come near my car thankfully.

So do check for cat hair etc stuck in wiring / black noise insulation material on the bonnet inside. If you see them - the damage is probably by cats, and not rats. Its not available for replacement as separate item I think - comes connected with the splash-guard itself. You can check with the ASC. I don't have a plan to do anything about it - as the animals will keep on destroying it again and again.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks