Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 10:42   #4081
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie_mate View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else find the stock headlamps on the Tata Nexon XMA is pretty sad? The throw as well as the intensity on my car's stock headlamps is not upto the mark and I feel like it might become a safety issue during night drives.

Are there better options aftermarket to replace stock bulbs with something better? Any light thrown on this will be eye opening for me (pun Intended)
I own a Nexon XM for last few months. As far as the low-beam is concerned, I would agree with you, the intensity is indeed low. Luckily, I had got our Nexon fitted with a regular fog lamp (XZ variant) from the dealer at the time of delivery. Additionally, to avoid putting up an extra switch in the dashboard, I had asked them to connect trigger switch of the fog-light relay with the low beam. Consequently, whenever I turn on my low beam, the fog lamp is also turned on. The resultant light output after adjusting throw-angle from the stalk, is decent.

On the other hand when I turn on the high-beam, personally I find the lighting output is sufficient on the highway. However, this perception is bit subjective and you may have to make your own judgement.

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 16:32   #4082

I did look at the installing OEM fog lamps as well. However, i checked out a friend's XZA model with OE fogs just as a test run. I could not notice any improvement at all in either intensity or throw. Decided against going for OE fog lamps.

Is there any reliable aftermarket fog lamp kit that can make a difference? Also, is it better to go for fog lamps or upgrade the headlight lamps?
��
Wheelie_mate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 17:33   #4083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it just me or does anyone else find the stock headlamps on the Tata Nexon XMA is pretty sad? The throw as well as the intensity on my car's stock headlamps is not upto the mark and I feel like it might become a safety issue during night drives.
No its not just you. And nor is this just for XM/A etc. Its universal even for the top trim. And then - its also common across many other cars also. Sad but true.

Your best bet - install 55W HID projector fog lights. A log of us Nexon owners have done this & would swear by it. Makes such a difference that you'll start ignoring headlamps altogether!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
My friend owns a Nexon XZ+ diesel. He is facing a peculiar issue. After driving for 15 km without AC and fan, there is some air blown through the AC vents. Upon enquiring with the SA during the second service(7500 km/6 months), the SA had inform him that the air is from the engine and that it is pretty common and there's nothing to be worried.
That's odd. I have not experienced this ever. Also - that is a very lame explanation by the SA. Who and why would design air from engine compartment to be forced into cabin? What's to gain? Slow CO/NOx poisoning at best.
(Maybe he is referring to fresh air mode letting air in from the vents. But then - why should that work automatically by turning ON the blower? I don't see a reason for that either.)
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:35   #4084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Maybe he is referring to fresh air mode letting air in from the vents. But then - why should that work automatically by turning ON the blower? I don't see a reason for that either.
In the fresh air mode, some amount of air can flow into the cabin through the air inlet vents, even if fan is turned off. In this mode, actually it's an open circuit for the air. So depending on the local turbulence, air flow direction, pressure etc. near the inlet vents, some amount of air can flow into the cabin. For example, when you keep a window even slightly rolled down, some amount of air does flow into the cabin.

Best,
Old 16th June 2021, 19:35   #4085

Hi Reinhard,
Thnaks for your valued response.
At the risk of asking for info that's already known in this thread, can I get more details on the 55w HID projector kit? Where can I get it? How much is the $$? And what's the best way to install it?
Old 17th June 2021, 10:20   #4086
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At the risk of asking for info that's already known in this thread, can I get more details on the 55w HID projector kit? Where can I get it? How much is the $$? And what's the best way to install it?
Hey - indeed yes, its been discussed aplenty on this & pretty much all review threads. And then - there is the DIY sub-forum also which covers this area for quite a few cars. You can surf through a bit.

There can be many dealers for it. In fact almost every car accessory store in Delhi (and there's literally countless of them) has them. I have an experience of buying from a supplier called MotorBasket (motorbasket.com) and Blaze India (look up on Facebook and connect with him there). Both are good. The kit costs anywhere between INR 7500 to 9000 depending on supply, stocks availability and lockdown situations. You can install DIY or at your trusted accessory store. They may charge about 500-700 for installation - upto your negotiation skills mostly.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 16:57   #4087

Quote:
Hey - indeed yes, its been discussed aplenty on this & pretty much all review threads. And then - there is the DIY sub-forum also which covers this area for quite a few cars. You can surf through a bit.
Hi Reinhard,

While I was busy going through the 55W HID foglight DiY thread, came across the 35w OSRAM HID conversion kit for the headlights. From the pictures and video you had posted, I think the amount of lighting this kit provides will be sufficient for me. Would you suggest I rather go for the OSRAM kit for the headlights or I should jump to the 55w HID foglamp upgrade?

I think prices for both kits are pretty similar as af now. Apologies if I ask too many questions just the way I am.
Old 17th June 2021, 17:52   #4088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While I was busy going through the 55W HID foglight DiY thread, came across the 35w OSRAM HID conversion kit for the headlights. From the pictures and video you had posted, I think the amount of lighting this kit provides will be sufficient for me. Would you suggest I rather go for the OSRAM kit for the headlights or I should jump to the 55w HID foglamp upgrade? I think prices for both kits are pretty similar as af now. Apologies if I ask too many questions just the way I am.
Does your car have projector low beams in the headlamp? I believe yours is an XMA - reflector headlamps. HIDs must be used with projectors. Its illegal (and also rather useless) to use them in reflector housing that is designed for halogen bulbs. And so - installing purpose made projector fog lights is cheaper + far better as a solution.

And even with projectors - I'd rather pick a 55W H7 conversion kit for the headlamp, instead of the 35W Osram kit now. Because the Osram kit costs the same and is also Made in China anyway. There are good 55W kits available that are Made in Taiwan instead. GS for example, Blaze has them. And the lighting is far better than the Osram 35W ones. I have already replaced the Osram kit with these (after a rat assault).
Old 18th June 2021, 11:45   #4089
BHPian

Hi all.

My car Nexon diesel XZA+ is undergoing its 3 yr, 45K KMs service and the SA has advised timing kit change estimated at Rs 15K including labor. He says it’s needed to honour the 4 yr extended warranty I took. Have any one of you gone through this before on your Nexon ? Is it needed or is SA taking me for a ride.

Last edited by charanreddy : 18th June 2021 at 11:46.
Old 18th June 2021, 12:26   #4090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Hi all.

My car Nexon diesel XZA+ is undergoing its 3 yr, 45K KMs service and the SA has advised timing kit change estimated at Rs 15K including labor. He says it’s needed to honour the 4 yr extended warranty I took. Have any one of you gone through this before on your Nexon ? Is it needed or is SA taking me for a ride.
I think he's lying. Timing chains last 1,00,000 kms. Get another service center to check.
Old 18th June 2021, 12:55   #4091
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all.

Please search for "timing kit" in this thread.

Few of the previous member posts linked below:

Another member who had to change it during 3 year service (Tata Nexon : Official Review)
Apparently is there in the Owner's manual too. (Tata Nexon : Official Review)

You just need to follow the Owner's manual recommendations to comply with warranty terms regardless of what the SA says. In this case, your SA seems to be right.
Old 18th June 2021, 13:53   #4092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I think he's lying. Timing chains last 1,00,000 kms. Get another service center to check.
I believe the 1.5RTQ is not a chain timed one but has belt. And yes - as per the service schedule - timing kit change is required at 3 year/45K KM mark. You'll have to get it done to ensure the warranty cover stays intact. The SA is not taking you for a ride. Get it done.

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th June 2021 at 14:10.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 14:04   #4093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the 1.5RTQ is not a chain timed one but has belt. And yes - as per the service schedule - timing kit change is required at 3 year/45K KM mark. And you'll have to get it done to ensure the warranty cover stays intact. The SA is not taking you for a ride. Get it done.
This is true.
Here are the details-
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-screenshot_20210618140300_chrome.jpg  

harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 16:54   #4094

When I went for 45k service for my Nexon diesel, this timing belt scenario had me confused too. So I specifically requested SA (at Durga Motors, Goa) if the timing belt had to be changed along with associated components. He denied and insisted that timing kit will only be changed at 105k.

I have attached two screenshots from the owner manual of the BS4 diesel manual Nexon. Tata themselves have created some confusion here.

(I) At Sr. No. 6, they have mentioned to change timing belt at 24 months if found damaged or directly at 84 months and 105k kms.
(II) At Sr. No. 9, they have mentioned to change timing kit (including timing belt, auto tensioner and idler) at 36 months (150k kms) or 120 months (150k kms.)

What I have personally deduced from this is, there is no need to change anything till 150k kms if nothing seems out of place. This time gap of 60 months in (I) and 84 months in case of (II) is what I found slightly arbitrary. So IMO, they have advised to check at 24 months and 36 months intervals and if found alright, we can change at 105k or 150k km. I can be completely wrong here. I have in my circle multiple Nexons above 60k kms with mine at 41k km. No one has changed timing belt till now. Neither Goa dealership or Rohtak dealership has recommended to go for timing belt change.

If anyone has more clarity on this issue, please feel free to enlighten everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-screenshot_20210618162330.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-screenshot_20210618162343.jpg  

Last edited by Seenz : 18th June 2021 at 17:11.
Seenz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 17:42   #4095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
While it is understandable to change the timing belt at 1.05 lakh km, the 36 month period is weird. Probably an error in the manual.
It is not normal to have such a short timing belt change interval - 5 years more common - see the belt in itself is not unusual, so there is something else that is the reason for this timing belt change so early. Perhaps its the water pump. Back in the days smart cabbies used to change their water pump between 50-75K kms in their Indica, keeps the engine in good health.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks