Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2021, 12:26   #4156
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
I understand that I could mix the hot air but that's not resource/fuel efficient. Basically, I was regularly switching on/off the AC button. Is there any reasonable mod or method to deal with this?
Hey mate - where is your temperature setting rotary knob set? Typically in my previous car & in the Alto - I tend to keep it JUST into the blue (cold) area. Not to the extreme end of blue region of the dial.This basically keeps the compressor ON for lowest duration and cooling remains low. This way you don't need to keep on fiddling with the AC ON/OFF switch.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 20:04   #4157
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I checked out the Nexon this Saturday and will be going for a test drive tomorrow. I am confused between the XM and XZ petrol variants regarding the VFM quotient (XZ has more premium interiors and more creature comforts than the XM, but it costs INR ~1.15 lacs more than the XM in Mumbai!). Also, the waiting time in Mumbai is ~6 to 8 weeks. Is this true across various cities?

Since this is the first I am buying a car (we own a 2010 i20 purchased by my dad, but I was naive about the car buying process at the time ).

I received the following OTR prices in Mumbai for both variants (excluding any freebies): XM INR ~9.61 lacs (including INR 50.5k as insurance [nil depreciation]) and XZ INR ~10.76 lacs (including INR 55k as insurance [nil depreciation]). I have read on various forums that dealers tend to make money on insurance costs, so I wanted some guidance in negotiating the quote given by the dealer. On online policy portals after selecting all possible add-ons, I found the insurance cost for XM (95% IDV) was starting from INR ~22k. Can there be such a vast difference of ~25k? Can fellow BHPians throw light on how to negotiate for insurance costs as well as for additional freebies?

We will be trading our 2010 i20 (rough estimated value is INR 1.20 lacs, but the salesperson said she'll try to increase the value in case of a final deal).

Your valuable guidance will be helpful.

Last edited by Mark 5 : 21st July 2021 at 20:25.
Old 21st July 2021, 21:48   #4158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 5 View Post
Hello BHPians,

I checked out the Nexon this Saturday and will be going for a test drive tomorrow. I am confused between the XM and XZ petrol variants regarding the VFM quotient (XZ has more premium interiors and more creature comforts than the XM, but it costs INR ~1.15 lacs more than the XM in Mumbai!). Also, the waiting time in Mumbai is ~6 to 8 weeks. Is this true across various cities?
I would suggest you to go for xz variants, the floating display HU itself cost around 50K,

I have purchased xz+ variants, I took insurance outside from acko, which costed me 27,811 including nil dep.
im_chandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 22:22   #4159
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

Yes dealers try to make a lot of money on insurance, as you have checked yourself online there's a big difference in the prices. Nill depp, consumables, Road side assistance, engine and gearbox cover are the only ones you need, don't select the rest of the covers, ask the dealer to match the price of the insurance or get it done yourself. There's no difference from where the insurance is purchased from, once the car is sold, it's you, your car and the insurance provider. Just make sure it has a cashless cover.

For negotiation try prices between various dealers and try to quote one against the other, that's the only way to bring the prices down or get some accessories, Nexon being the highest selling product of TATA you won't be able to get much discount.

The resale value of tier i20 is way too less if the car is in okay condition, check prices on olx to get a an approximate idea, I think your car deserves 2 lakhs considering how expensive cars have become.
yesyeswe is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:02   #4160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_chandan View Post
I would suggest you to go for xz variants, the floating display HU itself cost around 50K,

I have purchased xz+ variants, I took insurance outside from acko, which costed me 27,811 including nil dep.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the XZ variant makes more sense. I will insist for matching the online insurance quote or buy insurance from outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Yes dealers try to make a lot of money on insurance...The resale value of tier i20 is way too less if the car is in okay condition...
Thank you for the quick reply. I will insist on matching the online quote or buy insurance from outside. Our i20 (magna variant) is in fair condition, with patches on paint due to parking in sun, but it has some niggles with regard to the suspension and the MID in the dashboard has conked off. So, as per estimates on cars24, the starting price is INR ~1.65 lacs. I will try to get the maximum price possible.
Mark 5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:10   #4161
BHPian

For the owners of Tata Nexon automatic, a couple of questions:

How does the AMT perform, let's say in comparison to a TC or DCT? Is it responsive, accurate etc?

Also what's the long term reliability in comparison to TC?

I need an automatic car and while I like the Nexon overall, it's the AMT that prevents me from putting it on my consideration set.

Any light shed on this will be massively helpful.
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:58   #4162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

How does the AMT perform, let's say in comparison to a TC or DCT? Is it responsive, accurate etc?
I'd say you first test drive a Nexon AMT - and then ask for opinion from other members. Point is - a lot of people feel AMT is not good - but then an equal amount of people are also buying AMTs. It must depend the most on whether the AMT does what you are looking for. For that matter - you can drive any AMT car - in case someone in your known circle has one. They all behave very similar fundamentally so will help you.

Responsiveness of an AMT cannot be compared much to a TC/DCT. AMT tends to be slower in gear shift. Selection is not bad. Its quite good at it. Tends to be aggressively tuned to upshift early. So might end up upshifting on inclines where you want to hold gear. This can be easily addressed by using slightly more throttle input OR being in the manual mode so that the gear holds. Shift to A after you are done with the need to hold gear.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:15   #4163
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have read on various forums that dealers tend to make money on insurance costs, so I wanted some guidance in negotiating the quote given by the dealer. On online policy portals after selecting all possible add-ons, I found the insurance cost for XM (95% IDV) was starting from INR ~22k. Can there be such a vast difference of ~25k? Can fellow BHPians throw light on how to negotiate for insurance costs as well as for additional freebies?
From recent car buying experiences of various friends and relatives the following cost of insurance seem reasonable and covers almost all basic add-ons.

OTR Price of Vehicle Insurance Cost
6-11 Lac 25-32 K
11-16 Lac 30-50 K
16-21 Lac 50-70 K
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:07   #4164
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,

Please have a look at the insurance quotes from policybazaar and take a print out of the same and charge them with it. You'll see literal magic happen, and the quoted price comes down immediately by 20k on insurance.

Then, the accessories pack, think about it honestly. They are charging 10k for what and is it actually worth it? While booking, I did not take the extended warranty or the accessories pack. That reduced 17k further.

My rationale, 2 years worth of warranty shall be fine, I ll follow it up with an AMC soon, so that ll take care of the wear and tear. And about the accessories, I managed to convince them to provide the floor mats and mudflaps for free. Not too interested in the seat cover as of now at least.

Finally, at Vadodara, my Nexon XM, including registration and insurance, is costing ₹8,85,000. On this, I ll have to pay about ₹12,500 worth of municipal tax, so total, ₹8,97,500. For me, not too bad, considering, their first pitch was about ₹9,40,000.

So, do a thorough research, and print it out. Just they way they revert to their printed material while showing us that it is printed in black and white, do the same back at them. Negotiation becomes easier when you too have a printed material with you.

Please do check about the value of the exchange. The exchange value, about ₹1,20,000 should be reduced on top of the negotiated cost of the car, without the exchange in consideration. Often they try to make some compensation here and there to make it appear that they are giving big discounts or better exchange car value, while increasing some other component somewhere else.

Also, please ask for clarification of everything. Every thing that you feel is a little fuzzy, ask it. You shall put in your hard earned money, be thorough.

Good luck!

Happy negotiating!
NovemberKing_91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:14   #4165
BHPian

Hi Nexon owners,

Please have a check on your User Manual.

Page 199 of the Nexon BS 6 User Manual, the one downloaded from the TATA website shows the ground clearance to be 174 mm, while everywhere else, on the websites and a review forums, we see a number of 209 mm.

Is it a mistake on Tata's part on the manual, or am I reading something wrong?

Attached photo for a quick reference.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-screenshot_20210722111021358_cn.wps.xiaomi.abroad.lite.jpg
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:21   #4166
BHPian

Quote:

Also what's the long term reliability in comparison to TC?

I need an automatic car and while I like the Nexon overall, it's the AMT that prevents me from putting it on my consideration set.

Any light shed on this will be massively helpful.
Please go through AMT woes thread. That has sufficient information on AMT issues. The driving experience of AMT is avg. If you are seasoned driver, better stick to manual transmission. If you want good auto driving exp, pls buy torque converter/CVT. Never get into AMT style. You need to unlearn manual driving habit and learn the driving style of AMT. Its semi-automatic, not a pure auto transmission. Specifically, its a jugaad if you can understand that way.

Like @reinhard mentioned, pls test drive in city roads and be sensitive on how AMT unit responds during those drives. Do take multiple test drives.
blackstallion76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:23   #4167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You must allow it to do its job, set the temp knob \ air mixer knob at the desired position and leave it there, move it towards hot \ cold based on feedback from your passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Typically in my previous car & in the Alto - I tend to keep it JUST into the blue (cold) area. Not to the extreme end of blue region of the dial.This basically keeps the compressor ON for lowest duration and cooling remains low.
Thanks Kosfactor and Reinhard. Granted, it was raining through out the drive which amplified the situation. I was worried about the compressor being ON for a longer period despite not needing it. I shall adjust the knob position tomorrow during return journey to see how frequently the compressor engagement goes off for different positions of the rotary knob.
Old 22nd July 2021, 12:29   #4168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'd say you first test drive a Nexon AMT - and then ask for opinion from other members. It must depend the most on whether the AMT does what you are looking for.
Thanks! I do plan on a TD with the Nexon AMT, however, wanted inputs from folks who are already using it. The problem is that there are too many options and I'm not sure if I'll have the time to evaluate all options. Therefore, looking at ways of eliminating few options if they straight away don't fit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Please go through AMT woes thread. That has sufficient information on AMT issues. The driving experience of AMT is avg. If you are seasoned driver, better stick to manual transmission. If you want good auto driving exp, pls buy torque converter/CVT. Never get into AMT style. You need to unlearn manual driving habit and learn the driving style of AMT. Its semi-automatic, not a pure auto transmission. Specifically, its a jugaad if you can understand that way.
Thanks for your inputs!

Yes, I am a seasoned driver and would love to just stick with MT. However, living in Bglore I would like my left leg to complain as less as possible. Therefore, compromising with my heart a little. The best of both worlds for me would be paddle shifters and I just know that if there are paddle shifters I'm just going to use them and not put in Auto. But can't find good "safe" options that fits my price range.
Old 22nd July 2021, 12:39   #4169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
From recent car buying experiences of various friends and relatives the following cost of insurance seem reasonable and covers almost all basic add-ons.

OTR Price of Vehicle Insurance Cost
6-11 Lac 25-32 K
11-16 Lac 30-50 K
16-21 Lac 50-70 K
Thanks, I will keep these quotes in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberKing_91 View Post
Hi,

Please have a look at the insurance quotes from policybazaar and take a print out of the same and charge them with it...Please do check about the value of the exchange. Good luck! Happy negotiating!
Thank you for the negotiation tips! The OTR cost given to me is excluding any accessories or AMC + Extended Warranty. I shall try to get the mud flaps and floor mats as freebies. Hoping to strike the best possible deal!

Last edited by Mark 5 : 22nd July 2021 at 12:42. Reason: changed "freebies" to "accessories"
Old 22nd July 2021, 12:44   #4170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I do plan on a TD with the Nexon AMT, however, wanted inputs from folks who are already using it. The problem is that there are too many options and I'm not sure if I'll have the time to evaluate all options. Therefore, looking at ways of eliminating few options if they straight away don't fit me.
Understandable. I have an AMT car but not a Nexon. I have a Nexon also but its an MT . I am absolutely fine with the way AMT drives as I know what it is built for and how it behaves. I don't expect it to give me 0-100 sprint speeds. I love my Alto AMT to the core. Its very convenient to drive in city traffic and does absolutely fine on highways also - since I'm a sedate driver.

I know a large number of Nexon AMT - Petrol as well as diesel owners - and they are all absolutely happy with it. Many of them in fact from BLR. Nobody has ever raised concerns or disappointment with it. So I'd say - don't drop the Nexon AMT without a TD. Drop it only if you are against AMT as technology in principal - which will then drop 100% AMT cars from your list altogether. They all drive the same.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks