Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:26   #4246
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTabdul View Post
I believe that it was because of the AMT. A manual would have easily turned up figures like 16 to 19 kmpl. The AMT shifts up really late. IMHO
Generally the way AMT is tuned - it upshifts even earlier than an average Joe driving an MT. Its quite aggressive on upshifts - and sometimes even tries to ride the clutch a bit to achieve this I suspect. Thats the reason why the certified ARAI efficiencies of all AMT cars are either equal or in some cases - more than the MT siblings.

The key is - to be light footed and gradual in acceleration. AMT software is made quite logically. When it senses a heavy foot / more throttle input - it "assumes" that the driver wants to hold gear for more acceleration or a quick overtake - and it holds gear. Thus - it upshifts late and indeed impacts fuel economy. If the driver changes style and gets lighter on the pedal - he/she will notice that within some time the AMT unit starts upshifting much earlier. Key is gentle and gradual throttle inputs rather than quick heavy push on the A pedal. If a person is willing to adapt to this style - AMT is a very convenient and reliable technology (that said - its high time the car makers start making it cheaper now. Current premiums for AMT (over MT) are too high for what the technology actually offers).

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd September 2021 at 09:28.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:48   #4247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTabdul View Post
I believe that it was because of the AMT. A manual would have easily turned up figures like 16 to 19 kmpl. The AMT shifts up really late. IMHO
I have a petrol AMT and MID mileage of 18kmpl is normally achieved on highways with sports mode on two lane road without median. I have even touched 20 with a light foot. In city I get around 12-13 on MID easily. Of course it depends on the traffic and the driving style.
NvrGivUp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:27   #4248

Hi all, I have been an avid reader of Team-bhp for more than a decade. Never had anything to share so did not apply for membership. I am now buying my first car a Red Tata Nexon XZ+ manual petrol from Multitec Faridabad. I booked the vehicle on 17th July. At the time of booking, I was promised a white vehicle in transit and will be delivered within a week, they even shared the VIN no. After 4 days the SA informed me the vehicle was allocated to the Haryana govt. I then changed the color to red.
On 29 July they informed me the vehicle is billed; after a couple of days when I ask for VIN no they mentioned that "tata did not build your vehicle". After numerous follow-ups at last the vehicle is billed, the shared VIN no is August 21 build. The vehicle as per them will arrive in a couple of days. I plan to put an illuminated scuff plate and puddle lamp in the showroom itself. They also offer a Blaupunkt dashcam (Model no not available) for ~Rs. 5000 does not have a battery. will it be a good choice,..? I just learned driving 2 months back, should I also buy a front parking sensor..? They had offered Rs. 31K for 1 year comprehensive and 3-year 3rd party insurance. What are the important add-ons I need to buy..?
I am really worried about the theft of the vehicle, can anyone guide me where I can install gear-lock in Faridabad..?.
Attaching the accessory price list.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf accessory tata nexon.pdf (1.47 MB, 904 views)
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:10   #4249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

The key is - to be light footed and gradual in acceleration. AMT software is made quite logically. When it senses a heavy foot / more throttle input - it "assumes" that the driver wants to hold gear for more acceleration or a quick overtake - and it holds gear. Thus - it upshifts late and indeed impacts fuel economy. If the driver changes style and gets lighter on the pedal - he/she will notice that within some time the AMT unit starts upshifting much earlier. Key is gentle and gradual throttle inputs rather than quick heavy push on the A pedal.
Absolutely agree with you. Although AMT is quite logically designed, it is not too intelligent for some aggressive driving. What I personally prefer to do is whenever I anticipate the need for some heavy footed driving, I put it in the manual mode. It helps me do away with the surprises of sudden downshifts or too late upshifts and is also quite fun to drive in my experience.
red_nemesis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 20:42   #4250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_nemesis View Post
Absolutely agree with you. Although AMT is quite logically designed, it is not too intelligent for some aggressive driving. What I personally prefer to do is whenever I anticipate the need for some heavy footed driving, I put it in the manual mode. It helps me do away with the surprises of sudden downshifts or too late upshifts and is also quite fun to drive in my experience.
Thanks for the input. My experience is largely based on a couple of drives in my friends cars. Now I am going to try using a lighter foot and see if the gear changes occur faster. On my last drive I found that 2nd to 3rd shifting happened at almost 40kmph. Maybe I was accelerating too much??~
Old 4th September 2021, 19:06   #4251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrödingersCar View Post
I recently took longish test drives of the Petrol ZX+ (O), Manual and AMT.
I am 182cm (almost 6"). The seat adjustment was helpful.
However, found that there is a tradeoff. Felt like a higher seating position gave better view in front with respect to visibility of bonnet, but increased/compounded the blind spot caused by the A-Pillar and Right ORVM.
Reducing the height reduces the Blind Spot, I felt, but reduced the frontal visibility of the bonnet.

And +1 with @Reinhard on waiting a bit before you go for a change. There is a chance you may get adjusted as well and not need it.
Agree. Myself being 6ft also I think I need seat adjustment for lowering the seat
Old 4th September 2021, 20:40   #4252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrödingersCar View Post
Reducing the height reduces the Blind Spot, I felt, but reduced the frontal visibility of the bonnet..
Frontal visibility of the bonnet is something one overcomes without too much difficulty - just needs time with the vehicle. Most cars today come with a sloping bonnet, and yet they sell.

Bonnet visibility for spatial judgement should not be a deal breaker for any car.
Old 5th September 2021, 10:17   #4253
Senior - BHPian

Guys, mine was the first Nexon (Pics taken today). I complete 4 years, 50,000 KMS. Extremely happy with the reliability (No part replaced till date, except consumables), mileage (22KMPL in City, 24KMPL in Highway) and service/costs (6K was the highest I have paid, with oil change) aspects. If I have to buy another car today it would be the Nexon. Car still looks brand new with ceramic treatment done. Big salute to Tata Motors for this stellar performer!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_3457.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_3326.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 5th September 2021 at 10:23.
Sebring is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 12:06   #4254
BHPian

Hello Guys,

This is my first post on Team-BHP. After 4 attempts my registration has finally being approved. Thanks to the powers that be

I've been following this forum for quite a few months now and have done all the research about Nexon and XUV 300 (both petrol & Manual Transmission) and to be honest its really a difficult choice.

I currently drive Swift Lxi(Petrol, 2012) and have been happy with its performance. My car's still in top condition. The reason i want to upgrade to a C-SUV is since a few years ago I started having a lower back pain. Its gets worse when I drive my Swift even for 10-12 Kms. You sink in to the seats and thats a problem i find with every car. That is why my first criteria for any car was to have Height Adjustable Driver Seats.

So narrowed down to XUV 300 W8 and Nexon XZ+.

Getting a test drive in Baroda has been a pain really. Had to tweet to Tata Motors before the showroom responded and finally i could TD it.

XUV 300 - The director of the dealership seems to be using the car for personal use and is just unavailable on weekends. Since am not in such a hurry haven't escalated yet. So have yet to drive it and see.

Now i know the pro's and con's for both cars but have a few pointed questions if someone can answer.
  1. In terms of Engine noise(Petrol) in the cabin - which car is more silent on highways? And is the difference significant or minor enough to be ignored.
  2. Which is more fuel efficient among the two (XUV & Nexon) - assuming just ECO & CITY mode for Nexon
  3. I've never used cruise control and W8 has it but Nexon XZ+ doesn't - does it significantly enhance the comfort levels? I think it can only be used on express ways or other 6 lane highway with less traffic.
  4. I hardly ever use the car in the city except weekends. But on highways - I am the only one who drives so driving seat comfort is the most important. I liked Nexon's back support, XUV 300 - seems okay(In the showroom, yet to test drive) but the seats are broader but not sure how it would be in a long journey. May be someone can tell me more.
Thank you
mihir_m13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 12:23   #4255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihir_m13 View Post
Hello Guys,

Now i know the pro's and con's for both cars but have a few pointed questions if someone can answer.
  1. In terms of Engine noise(Petrol) in the cabin - which car is more silent on highways? And is the difference significant or minor enough to be ignored.
  2. Which is more fuel efficient among the two (XUV & Nexon) - assuming just ECO & CITY mode for Nexon
  3. I've never used cruise control and W8 has it but Nexon XZ+ doesn't - does it significantly enhance the comfort levels? I think it can only be used on express ways or other 6 lane highway with less traffic.
  4. I hardly ever use the car in the city except weekends. But on highways - I am the only one who drives so driving seat comfort is the most important. I liked Nexon's back support, XUV 300 - seems okay(In the showroom, yet to test drive) but the seats are broader but not sure how it would be in a long journey. May be someone can tell me more.
Thank you
I also had the same situation of choosing between XUV 300 and Nexon and did multiple test drives. I did that back in Oct 2020.
1. Engine noise - Both of of them were almost similar. May be XUV 300 scored better. Not sure since it's been a while.
2. Nexon is more fuel efficient (P AMT, 10-12 city, 16-18 Highways both based on T2T)
3. I went ahead with XZA+ and does not have cruise control. As rightly pointed by you, it can be used only on express highways or 6 lane roads. It's not a big deal. But, it's definitely good to have.
4. Hated XUV 300 rear bench seat with poor under thigh support. Still I was ok to go with XUV 300 as the drive, handling and suspension was better in XUV 300. It's my perception. Between the two, most VFM is NEXON. Though there are small niggles, I'm totally in love with Nexon. So impressed with it having driven close to 7500 kms in 6 months.
Old 6th September 2021, 13:13   #4256
RBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
Finally, after 5 months of going round in circles and involving the Tata Motors Zonal Manager, I have the VIN . Now I'm looking forward to the day when the vehicle arrives in the dealership's stockyard and I get to perform the PDI.
After a not-so-pleasant 5 month wait, I received my Nexon XZ+(O) Petrol allotment and performed the PDI using the TBHP's checklist, and the poor TL/SA were astounded to see such a detailed document.
Everything fell into place, and I was finally able to take delivery on Janmashtami (30th Aug 2021) . I purchased the insurance (Rs 32k with all the bells and whistles), EW (Rs 20k) and essential accessories pack from the dealership for Rs 15,555. I'm still contemplating whether to go for the Gold AMC or not, as well as whether to go aftermarket for the sidestep. I'll plan the PPF after a couple of months. Links, references and suggestions are always welcome.
I drove 200+ kilometres in a week and have a mileage of more than 15 so far. I can't stop staring back at her parked, waiting to be driven back out onto the roads. In the upcoming extended weekend, I'm thinking about taking a short weekend trip to Haridwar.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210830-11.57.42-am.jpeg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210830-7.20.07-pm.jpeg  

RBR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 14:05   #4257
BHPian

Quote:
I'm still contemplating whether to go for the Gold AMC or not, as well as whether to go aftermarket for the sidestep. I'll plan the PPF after a couple of months. Links, references and suggestions are always welcome.
Congratulations on the new car! She does look amazing
As for the AMC, enquire about the P2P one. In my opinion, that one serves the purpose just fine, while being quite cost effective too.
NovemberKing_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 17:30   #4258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm still contemplating whether to go for the Gold AMC or not
Congratulations on the acquisition & wish you many happy, safe miles with the Nexon. The Gold AMC or P2P covers - depend a lot on how much you really run the car, and are not exactly similar. Remember - both are pretty much like pre-paid plans where you spend in advance and get the "feel" of lower cost in-life. P2P helps if you really drive the bolts off the car and need regular part replacements in suspension, clutch etc. For moderate running of around 10k KMs per year or thereabouts - I personally don't see the point in these plans to be honest. (Just my personal opinion - mathematically I may get proven wrong as these might be helping save money. I am a bit oldschool. Don't like to spend in advance and then ask for unnecessary part replacements, just because I have already paid!)
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:35   #4259
BHPian

I have booked Nexon on March end from Kropex Tata Bangalore and still awaiting delivery. I have been escalating to Tata, but always get redirected to Kropex team back. The kropex team, even their GM is putting the blame back on Tata that they haven't sent these cars and they cannot provide any commitment. They keep explaining lockdown, high demand and semiconductor shortage as the reasons for delay.

I understand that these are valid and genuine problems and that is why I have been still sticking with the booking even after 5+ months, though I was promised for 3 months wait time. I am doubting now if this is a strategy to cancel/delay my booking as they need to offer two price protections to me, whereas to new customers they can sell it at newer price. Does this kind of malpractice happen generally or am I being paranoid?

I am seeing in this and other forums that people are getting the car in lesser time, sometimes even 2 weeks. Any advice on how I should proceed from here? How do I reach Tata customer care and talk to someone from Tata instead of the dealership?
Old 7th September 2021, 13:05   #4260
RBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearless View Post
I have booked Nexon on March end from Kropex Tata Bangalore and still awaiting delivery. I have been escalating to Tata, but always get redirected to Kropex team back. The kropex team, even their GM is putting the blame back on Tata that they haven't sent these cars and they cannot provide any commitment. They keep explaining lockdown, high demand and semiconductor shortage as the reasons for delay.

I understand that these are valid and genuine problems and that is why I have been still sticking with the booking even after 5+ months, though I was promised for 3 months wait time. I am doubting now if this is a strategy to cancel/delay my booking as they need to offer two price protections to me, whereas to new customers they can sell it at newer price. Does this kind of malpractice happen generally or am I being paranoid?

I am seeing in this and other forums that people are getting the car in lesser time, sometimes even 2 weeks. Any advice on how I should proceed from here? How do I reach Tata customer care and talk to someone from Tata instead of the dealership?
I waited for 5 months while a few fellow members received their deliveries in 1-2 weeks. Yes, the Covid-19 has affected everyone. Concerning the conspiracy to postpone delivery in order to sell it at a higher price, I have my doubts. Try to find the phone number of the Zonal Manager South/Bangalore and contact him. This will provide some impetus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks