Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2022, 12:43   #4726
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

I found one small nut below my front co passenger seat of Nexon petrol, despite looking I am unable to make it out from where it got off, if somebody can point out to which portion this nut belong else I have to wait for my service centre visit.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20220608123017.jpg  

Old 9th June 2022, 14:42   #4727

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrGivUp View Post
I got the Nexon XZA+ P in Feb 2021 and there is a slight pulling to left from the very beginning. Had been raising this concern in all the three services and yet the problem is not resolved. Recently I took my vehicle specifically to get it fixed. I did my due diligence to find out the potential root cause and what I found out was that the steering recalibration could resolve this issue. I told this to the service advisor and they inspected the vehicle. Confirmed the LHS pulling even after while alignment was done but they cannot carry out recalibration on Nexon BS6 until some warning light throws up. They claim that steering recalibration can be done easily on BS4 vehicles (Nexon) but not on BS6. Is this true? What I came to know that is the service technician is not able to proceed for steering recalibration as there is a question that ask " if there is steering warning light showing up?" and if the answer is NO, then recalibration cannot be done.
Hey there ! I've been going through a similar problem on my altroz , my steering wheel is always tilted slightly to the left in order to keep the car going straight . It's been happening since 2nd service itself but i forgot to tell TASS about it on my 3rd service , i took my car to an alignment shop for tyre rotation and alignment and there only he mentioned something about steering calibration which only TASS can do . I have to wait till the 4th service to address this issue and hope they'll come up with a fix on it .

Hope your problem gets rectified soon and would really appreciate an update on this matter .
mazealot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 15:34   #4728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazealot View Post

Hope your problem gets rectified soon and would really appreciate an update on this matter .
Sure, will definitely update here if I get to fix it. Mandeep had mentioned that it could be due to steering rack problem or just a steering recalibration might fix it. But, I have lost hope on steering recalibration since the TASS is reluctant to do that without the steering error light showing up. Will update later.
NvrGivUp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 16:01   #4729
BHPian

My cousin is booking a Nexon XZA+ from Prerana Motors, Lal Bagh Road, Bengaluru. He has been allotted a vehicle. Despite our efforts at convincing him otherwise, the SA insists that PDI will be possible only after the whole of the payment is made. He says that PDI will be possible in 3-4 days once the car arrives in Bengaluru. He says that PDI will be permitted before registration and promises (orally) to return the money if there is any issue.

I find this strange. Is this normal? Have other members found Prerana Motors to be reliable/ trustworthy?

For his part, my cousin just wants to get the delivery done with; he's frustrated by having waited six months for the allotment of the car.
Old 9th June 2022, 18:37   #4730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naadopaasaka View Post
Despite our efforts at convincing him otherwise, the SA insists that PDI will be possible only after the whole of the payment is made. He says that PDI will be possible in 3-4 days once the car arrives in Bengaluru.
Escalate to your territory sales manager whose number should be with you as that is normally provided in your booking mail that you have received after booking. Other way, is to tweet to tata motors cars wrt this issue.

Last edited by neutron : 9th June 2022 at 18:37. Reason: Cosmetic
neutron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 17:41   #4731
BHPian

Quote:
I got the Nexon XZA+ P in Feb 2021 and there is a slight pulling to left from the very beginning. Had been raising this concern in all the three services and yet the problem is not resolved. Recently I took my vehicle specifically to get it fixed. I did my due diligence to find out the potential root cause and what I found out was that the steering recalibration could resolve this issue. I told this to the service advisor and they inspected the vehicle. Confirmed the LHS pulling even after while alignment was done but they cannot carry out recalibration on Nexon BS6 until some warning light throws up. They claim that steering recalibration can be done easily on BS4 vehicles (Nexon) but not on BS6. Is this true? What I came to know that is the service technician is not able to proceed for steering recalibration as there is a question that ask " if there is steering warning light showing up?" and if the answer is NO, then recalibration cannot be done.

I have left my vehicle with the service center for resolving the issue. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I have a Nexon xza+ D, from Dec 2020. I faced this issue of left pulling and needed aligning steering about 2 degree right to keep it straight. The steering calibration for bs6 vehicles is indeed not a straight forward process as per the DTE at service center. Ultimately this was corrected when they replaced link rods under warranty in 3rd service and wheel balancing at an external center.

Last edited by JReacher13 : 10th June 2022 at 17:42.
JReacher13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 18:28   #4732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReacher13 View Post
Ultimately this was corrected when they replaced link rods under warranty in 3rd service and wheel balancing at an external center.
Thank you so much for sharing the info. Gives me hope that this can be fixed through steering recalibration by somehow convincing the Service Manager. Will try my luck and update.
Old 12th June 2022, 09:53   #4733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Today, I received the following message in my phone on our Nexon XM(P) booking.
Quote:
Dear G***, Thank you for your patience, we are aware you have waited more than a month for your new Tata vehicle. As a token of appreciation and goodwill gesture - Extended 1 Year OE Warranty & Road Side Assistance. With Production capacity ramped up, and teams working round the clock to service your order, be rest assured. Connect with us on 1800 209 8282 or your dealer for any queries. *T&C Apply
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_chandan View Post
Today I have also received the same message, I had booked on 3 Nov. Does it mean the RSA will be now for 3 Years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasri View Post
If you are asking about the free one year extended warranty that Tata offers customers who waited for more than a month to get delivery of their vehicle, the territory sales manager told me that it will automatically get included as an addition to the two year factory warranty. So my factory warranty is three years by default.
Can anyone please confirm whether Tata Motors has delivered this additional 1 year of extended OE warranty to anyone, as promised?

I don't see this extended warranty in my TMSC app. Additionally, both my dealer and service center have confirmed to me that they also don't see this extended warranty in their system! At the time of purchase, my SA had advised me wait for sometime for this warranty to get updated in the system. So that I can buy 2 additional year of extended warranty to make it total of 5 years.

However, even after multiple follow-ups with the dealers as well as Tata Motors directly, I am yet to get any written answer from them. Consequently, my purchase of additional warranty got delayed as they kept on dragging on this issue without any resolution.

Although, our Nexon is doing absolutely fine but I now truly realize that how pathetic is Tata Motors' customer care. It seems getting any resolution from Tata Motors is like winning a lottery, you get it if you are among the lucky few!
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 14:36   #4734

Quote:

Not sure why they can't select "yes" and proceed for recalibration. Also, can the recalibration be done easily or does it involve risking the airbag sensor set up (as claimed by the SA).Can anyone please confirm or help out to fix the issue? Do I have to raise it to customer care? Most probably they will divert it back to the last service center where I got my vehicle checked.

I have left my vehicle with the service center for resolving the issue. Keeping my fingers crossed.
My BS6 Nexon had similar issue of pulling to one side and it was rectified by alignment. This is a common issue and can be easily sorted by TASS. May be you try a different TASS.

On the steering recalibration part, it can be done very easily on BS6 by connecting the laptop through OBD. Due to some noise my steering was opened and had to get recalibration done. I was with the technician during the whole process and it is a matter of just a few seconds. After adjusting the steering to neutral/center position, the angle being displayed in the laptop has to be reset and you are done.
Apratim_Choudhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 15:44   #4735

Hi, anyone help clarify on the mileage after 1st service - on Manual diesel?

I am getting 10.5km/l only as per dashboard. I drive mostly in City mode. Anything i need to do differently? My car has run 2,600km now.
Old 15th June 2022, 13:26   #4736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokarti View Post
Hi, anyone help clarify on the mileage after 1st service - on Manual diesel?
I am getting 10.5km/l only as per dashboard. I drive mostly in City mode. Anything i need to do differently? My car has run 2,600km now.
At what RPM do you generally drive in gear, and at what RPM do you shift up and down?
Old 15th June 2022, 17:24   #4737
sse

Insight into our Car Purchase Decision

In 2017, My father purchased Maruti Ciaz ( Diesel Smart Hybrid when it was launched in Nexa ) and little did he know that I’d soon be into business and the car would become a beater! Four and a half years & 2,00,000 kms on odometer later, the discussion to change the car began.

Running Cost :-

My father’s first task was to find Ciaz’s running cost. One thing that is ridiculous with Ciaz, or should be with any Maruti Car for that matter, should be its running costs. It took little effort to come up with data like diesel consumed and cost of services & repairs from my accounting staff which turned out to be crucial later in decision making process.

Diesel Consumed - 8,855 Litres ( Rounding to 9,000 Litres as at times, I might have not accounted few receipts )
Diesel Cost - Rs. 7,23,930 ( Rounding to Rs. 7,50,000 )
Avg Fuel Efficiency - 22.60 Kms/L ( I am mostly a boring driver who love to cruise at 80 to 90 km/h & never higher )
No. of Services - 26 Services ( Mostly Non-showroom services )
Service Cost - Rs. 2,43,456 ( Rounding to Rs. 3,00,000 including accident expenses )
Total Cost - Rs. 9,67,386 ( Rounding to Rs. 10,50,000 )
Avg Cost / Kms - Rs. 4.85 ( Rs. 5.25 Approx )
( Note this was just an over the eye calculations )

By the time the above details were figured out, the criteria for each individual member in family began coming in.

Look-outs in New Car :-

The consensus was reached and each of us gave a feature that we require in new car that we cannot let go from Ciaz -

- Budget strictly to less than 15 Lacs On-Road. ( Father’s )
- Diesel only ( Joint decision as Petrol was not at all considered )
- Manual Transmission ( My chauffeurs’. He despise Auto Transmission )
- Cruise Control ( Myself - 80% of our drives are on 4 lanes & this would be a great feature to have )
- Sedan ( Mother’s - Leg space in rear seat cannot be compromised )
- Boot Space ( Wife’s - As big as Ciaz. We pack heavy for our travel )
- A Safe Car ( A joint decision )

Until our decision to purchase a new car, We hardly knew models or current trend. But, I keep a tab on team-bhp and other magazines just for the knowledge. So, we assumed the car decision would be easy process. How wrong we were! The next 45 days were saw arguments, reading magazines like motor vikatan or YouTube channels to prove a point. Worse, it got to a stage where the dining table conversations were beginning to get on my nerves. We now had more information on cars than 45 days ago and it helped a lot.

Car Usage :-

Surely a daily commute of 70 kms in addition to every week a 1000 kms travel within Tamil Nadu mostly on 4 lanes. It would be chauffeur driven, who is strictly instructed not to drive more than 90 kms/h. The driving pattern ensures we extract maximum fuel efficiency.

Sedan to Compact SUV :-

Ciaz spoilt us. Be it with leg room in rear seat or boot space or mileage, Ciaz offered us everything. On search, We could hardly find any Diesel sedans other than Honda City, Hyundai’s Verna & Elantra with Elantra was out of budget. So we decided to start with Honda City. We made a visit to Honda showroom and was immediately given a Test Drive. It was a splendid and a perfect upgrade from Ciaz. During our test drive it was almost decided that it’d be City.

However, Dad, who is now in early 70’s, always found getting out of Ciaz, a bit tough. He walked past a display model of WR-V. He sat in and stepped out smoothly. While we were getting a quote for City, I noticed my father interested in WR-V. He explained his apprehensions on ingress in City and a Compact SUV might suit him more. It was that moment we decided to go for SUV.

Now this opened us to lot of options to play with. While, that is a good thing, it created chaos!

Spoilt for choices - Showroom Visits :-

By mid March, we took a visit to Kappalur Industrial Estate in Madurai. Within a kilometre stretch, One can visit Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Mahindra, Tata, MG, Renault, Volkswagen, Hyundai & Maruti. We decided to spend an entire Saturday on test driving the cars.

First was the famed Toyota showroom. We found out they have nothing to cater to us, other than Innova & Fortuner. I wish they catered atleast one product that fits my need and I’d would have picked it just to experience their renowned service. The dealers’ customer service tales are stuff of legends in and around Madurai.

Second, Hyundai. After walking past all their models, the only car that came with good legroom and acceptable boot space was Creta. We found Venue / i20 to be cramped for space in rear. We were not in market for 7 seater which rules out Alcazar. Father found ingress in Creta easier than WR-V. The base variant On-Road-Price began at 13 Lacs and the next variant was about 16 lacs! On enquiry on Safety, I was promised its the safest car in its range. I mean, come’on. Anyway, Creta was shortlisted.

Third of the day was to Mahindra to check XUV 300. The dealer pushed us to look at XUV 700 and we absolutely loved it. But, we are not in the market for 7 seater and the waiting period is just way too far for our comfort zone. I was quoted 6 to 7 months. XUV 300 got little love from the dealer itself. Infact, they did not even care when we asked for test drive because they knew I was looking for things that are completely absent in XUV300 - Boot Space & Rear seat comfort. We only had a glimpse of the model in showroom and moved out.

The showroom that blew us off was MG! Anything we asked was instantly catered to during the visit. Coffee? Yes. Milk shake for the kid? Sure, why not! Test drive? The car was outside even before we decided. Father found Hector to be little higher to Creta but if we had to go anything by my mother, wife and daughter, this was the car - because they loved the leg room, a boot space bigger than Ciaz and kid absolutely loved the Panoramic roof. Selecting Hector also meant, we go one up on the ‘car status ladder’ - From 10 lacs car to 20+ lacs car - a big thumbs up from a certain member of my family. We welcomed Hector to our shortlist. We absolutely loved the way we were treated at the showroom.

Last for the day was TATA. By this time, my father was worried if it was really worth it visit so many showrooms to pick a car. Just book one and get rid of this phase, he said! We looked at Altroz and skipped it, which lead to Nexon. For some reason, everyone connected with the car! Yes, it had a small boot but, it felt good. A car that might vibe well with us. However, test drive was unavailable. We were offered to test drive Harrier. Ofcourse, We loved Harrier. A bigger and a better car to Nexon. Felt very much similar to Hector in leg space and boot. Felt the ‘door thud’ that was missing in Hector. So, we added Nexon & Harrier to our shortlist.

We skipped Nissan, Renault, Volkswagen & Maruti as they offer no diesel engine. Skoda was already off the list due to service station no where near my place. Jeep Compass did not interest us in anyway. We decided not to look at Kia as our neighbour has Sonet, so it’d be petty on our part to match them as per my mother. ( I am sure Kia would not even have thought of losing a potential customer because of this reason! )

The dilemma & Decision :-

A week or so passed with hardly any talk on car. Each were busy researching on their favourite car secretly. The talk had to happen at some point and it happened after 2 weeks. The shortlist were Creta, Nexon, Harrier & Hector.

We had fun dicing each others preferred car. A funny conversation went as below -

Mom : In a couple of years, your daughter cannot be sitting on our lap in car. So, to seat us ( Mom, sister, daughter & me with chauffeur driven ) comfortably, it’d be better with Hector or Harrier against Nexon or Creta.

Me : Okay.

*few seconds later*

Mom : If you have second kid…..

Wife : *Stares at me*

Me : Mom?!

Mom : You are planning, aren’t you?

During each meal, the discussion was about glorifying Hector and convincing my father on Hector. He listened, always and reserved his judgement for later. Finally, father then said, “Dont care bother spending extra few lacs as one time fee to buy. But, care about the recurring cost it brings along with it.”

Remember the calculation on running cost? The man has done his calculations. Based on his enquiries within his circle of contacts who own the said vehicles, Harrier and Hector gives about 11 to 13 in mileage. At 12 km/l, That meant for 200,000 kms we would be consuming 16,600 litres, a whopping 66% increase in fuel. Assuming average price at Rs.100/litre, thats Rs.6.50 lacs cash outflow. Also addition of Rs.5 lacs on cost of vehicle against our budget of Rs. 15 lacs. It roughly translates to Rs.11 to 13 lacs over a period of 5 years.

If Hector / Harrier,

Car Cost : Rs. 21 Lacs ( Shine Variant - Hector or Rs. 24 lacs for XZS in Harrier )
Fuel Cost : Rs. 16 Lacs ( 16,000 Litres for 200,000 kms @ 12 kmpl )
Total Cost : Rs. 37 Lacs ( Excluding Service Cost )

If its Nexon / Creta,

Car Cost : Rs. 15 Lacs ( XZ+HS Varient )
Fuel Cost : Rs. 11 Lacs ( 11,000 Litres for 200,000 kms @ 18 kmpl )
Total Cost : Rs. 26 Lacs ( Excluding Service Cost )

Difference of Rs. 11 lacs over a period of 4 to 5 years for a car? The total cost for Ciaz was only Rs. 23 lacs including cost of vehicle.
The decision was made to score out Hector and Harrier from our list.
In short, we became aware of the fuel cost difference so we had to choose a smaller car to fit our needs on mileage.

Nexon wins for its Safety!

The battle was now again between Creta & Nexon with everyone leaning to Nexon purely because of value for money! We visited the TATA showroom again and took a test drive. Magically the car got an instant thumbs up from Mother, Wife & daughter. Everyone loved the ride. Dad was comfortable with ingress ( Even if he was not, he would not have uttered a comment, as that would escalate to chaos again! ). Mother was okay with legroom. Wife was comfortable with boot space and daughter was super happy with Sunroof.

Weird Customer Service :-

I inform the all Sales managers not to call me until I respond back on my decision. Every showroom respected my word. Infact, I called up MG to informed them about the decision to drop Hector. He replied back saying he’d look for us again later. Wonderful. But, it was Tata who kept pestering often with calls on purchase decision. When I cut back saying I need time, the response was, “How long you’d take?”

Anyway, we went ahead and confirmed the booking for XZ+(HS) in April. Now, I am not a fan of the ‘White colour band’ that surrounds Nexon’s exterior. I preferred the Grey band that came with White colours. A quick search on google and I found pictures of Foliage Green with Grey band. Everyone loved the Green. So, I informed the sales agent with the reason of my selection of green. He assured me that Foliage Green comes with Grey Band and not White. So, the booking for XZ+(HS) was made on 5th April, 2022. and was told a waiting period of 80 days.

Once the booking was made, I kept my eyes on road looking out for Green with Grey colour bands and I found nothing. All of them were with White colour bands. I made a call to Sales Manager a week after my booking. He assured me that ‘Top-End’ variant comes with Grey. Couple more weeks go, and I still fail to spot any green-grey combination Nexon. Worried, I Whatsapp him again. He assured me that the Variant I get would only come with Grey Band and there was no reason for me to worry. While, he sounded genuine and I find pictures of Green with grey band even on TATA’s website, I avoided the panic.

About 25 days from my booking, I got the call that vehicle has been allotted and he duly forward the VIN number with ETD of a week. A quick google search on VIN revealed that it was April manufactured. A week later, I got a call saying I can do a PDI and within a day or two to arrange for balance funds. Eagerly, I went to stock yard to have a look at the Vehicle.

Surprise, Surprise, It was a Foliage Green with White Band. I was shocked and disappointed. I politely enquired with Sales Manager, only to be told, the grey band is a random allocation for Foliage Green and not something dealers or customers can choose. How is that even possible? Is choosing your Car Colour a lottery now? Instead, I was offered a Grey Paint Job on the band for Rs.8000 + GST or he’d put a request for grey band to replace for which I have to pay. Agitated on the happenings, I put forth evidences of my conversations with him. He did not budge for a second. The attitude was mostly, ‘Take it or Leave it’.

Now, I have to choose whether to let go of the car or go ahead with purchase. A quick call with family members was made, and We decided to go ahead with purchase. By this time, the Ciaz was sold as well. So I desperately needed the car.

Completely mad over the mistake, I went back to showroom. He said, he would discuss the issue with higher officials and get back to me later in the day, which he never did. The discussion was now about Accessories. I was only given Mat and Mud Flaps which was already charged to my Invoice for Rs.3000. I ordered Scuff Plate, upgraded my ordinary mat to 3D Floor Mat, Trunk 3D Mat, Mobile Holder, Number Plate Guard, Door Edge Guard and Under body coating totalling for Rs.11,632. A measly discount was offered. I paid the outstanding amount the same day and informed my delivery date to be a Friday morning between 9:30 to 10:00 AM.

Spooky Delivery Experience :-

We arrived at the showroom at 9:00 AM on 13th May, 2022 only to find that all Managers were held up in a meeting with a Senior Manager. It went on up to 9:45 AM, when another family who was there to take delivery of their vehicle, got agitated. He pushed them for immediate delivery, which hurried the process. Meanwhile, I waited for my Temporary Registration ( Which happened 2 days before delivery date ), Invoice and Insurance.

Now, My driver went on to do a final Inspection on vehicle before delivery. Vehicle was great, but underbody coating was not completed. The reason was they had too many cars to be serviced for past 2 days. So, I was promised to complete that during the first service. And I was told the number plates would be available after registration as they would not handover a blank number plate. It was fine with me.

Now, while looking at the Invoice made for accessories, I found out that they excluded Underbody Coating and inflated the price of other accessories to match Rs.11,632. They gave an Invoice for Rs.11,500 and another Invoice for Rs.150 as labour charge for fixing Mud flap. This way, I had to pay an extra of Rs.18 ( Though, I was not demanded to pay the same ). When I asked my sales manager, he said, the underbody coating would be done free of cost during first service and not to worry about Invoice.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_9652.jpg

By this time, Sales Manager was lucky my father was not there on the day. He’d have taken him for a ride. He was angry with wrong colour band already. Being my first car purchase, I decided to let go not knowing whether these are petty things to worry about or I am being scammed. My wife told me not to worry on the issues and I moved on.

Moving on to the next, Temporary Registration. Now, the car was taken delivery in Madurai District and I am from Theni district. So, I was told a Temporary Registration is a must. Post Temporary Registration, The showroom would register my vehicle in my RTO. This was informed to be during booking and I made the payment for RTO fees as well. Now, I was told the vehicle was Temporary Registered in Madurai, but the Temporary Paper registration papers would be available within 2 to 3 days from delivery against his promise of handing over temporary papers on the same day on delivery. Now, this was an issue, as the car had to be on road for my business visit the same day! He informed me to just take a print-out of Temporary Registration Number ( which I received as an SMS from RTO on May 10th, 2022 ) and affix on windshield. I asked if this is legal, he said its legal and asked me to carry Invoice Copy, just incase. I let go of the delay in handing over the Temporary Paper as it was Friday, and his promise was just two days.

The next issue, spare car key. After taking delivery of the Vehicle, I asked the Sales Manager for second key, and he said due to semi-conductor shortage the spare key would be available during the First Service. I asked why did he not inform all these before hand, he rudely said, this is the norm. By this time, I was getting late and mostly confused if these issues are normal or am I being scammed.

We took delivery of the Vehicle on 13th May, 2022.

The First Service :-

By 18th May 2022, The car clocked 1800 Kms. So, I sent the car with my driver for first service and the underbody coating. Upon reaching the service station, the Service Manager confused my driver saying they could not undercoat my car because I did not buy their “PERSONAL INSURANCE” along with my car. Surely, my driver is way more knowledgeable and gave him a mouth on the equation between Insurance and underbody coating. He called me fuming on the idiocy of the Service Manager. I called my Sales Manager and politely enquired on the issue and he promised to sort out the issue. To their full credit, it was sorted in 5 minutes as “Misunderstanding”. The car was promised to be handed over by evening, which they did.

I had previously informed my driver to get the spare key as promised during first service. Upon enquiring, the Sales Manager generally receives the car between 2 to 3 months for the first service and not within a week. So, the key would be available after two months. Again, I gave him the benefit of doubt and agreed to get the spare key once available. But I did inform him he could have been more specific on the date.

The RTO Issues :-

On a Parallel track, couple of days before First Service, I was in touch with Sales Manager for Temporary Registration documents. I was told, once he has the original documents, he can only then proceed for Permanent Registration. He assured me, It’d be with him within couple of days on May 13th, 2022 ( Temporary Registration was completed on May 10th, 2022 ). Now, he informs me that papers would be with him only on Saturday ( May 21st, 2022 ). 11 Days to get Temporary Papers? I gave him the benefit of doubt yet again.

On Saturday, 21st May, I was told he holds the Temporary Papers and he’d courier the documents to my address. I was baffled. Because, it was his words that he’d complete the RTO at my district and I paid him in full for the same. He now says, he does not have any ‘contacts’ in my district so I would have to do the same by myself.

So, after 12 days of Temporary Registration, and about 30 days from my payment, Sales Manager now says, its my duty to get the RTO done. Again, politely, I asked him to return the RTO amount by cheque. To their credit again, the cheque was handed over to me on 25th May 2022.

On 27th May, I got my RTO completed by myself and by evening I get my number. So, I call up the Service Manager yet again that my vehicle registration number has been allotted and I need the number plate. Now, he informs, It’d take 3 to 4 days to get the number printed and hand it over to me. And it was finally the Number board was given to me on 8th June - 26 days after delivery of car and 12 days after RTO.

Am I paranoid?

Being my first involvement in car purchase, It’s difficult to ascertain if these are common issues faced by everyone or was it just me. Agreed, that nothing can be perfect, but these issues could certainly be avoided.

Concluding with the issues I faced -

1. First Issue was wrong Colour Band against promised Colour. I booked Foliage Green with a purpose to avoid the White Band. I was allocated a White Band. Certainly this could have been avoided had the Sales Manager informed me Green comes with White band and I would happily have booked White Color which came with Grey Band. Now, I have to live with this White band for the next 3 to 4 years.
My View - I compromised.

2. Accessories Billing Issues - This could have been avoided, though after a month, it looks petty and doesn’t affect me, as I was given the underbody coating. But, what could have happened if my driver did not inspect the underbody before delivery?
My View - In retrospect, not a big deal. Would give the Sales Manager the benefit of doubt.

3. Temporary Registration Paper Delay - Because I am not aware of this, I cannot take a call if this is normal delay or what really happened. In short, there was a delay in handing over Temporary Document by 11 days. I did check if there was any foul play by scrutinising the documents, however, everything seems perfect. But why the delay of 11 days? Temporary Registration happened on 10th May but documents were handed over 11 days later? Is that normal?
My View - The delay in handing over the documents bothers me to this day as I could not get a reason. But, no damage done on papers or am I missing something? Overall, glad that this was sorted. So, Giving the Sales Manager the benefit of doubt.

4. Change in RTO Formalities - Why was there a delay in communicating to me that RTO had to be completed by my side? Why did they receive the funds from me for RTO? Agreed, I was given the funds back. And the formalities were duly completed.
My View - Why the false promise that RTO would be completed by them? Giving credit to the Sales Manager for issuing the refund within two days, So, would give the Sales Manager the benefit of doubt.

5. Why the delay in handing over Number Plate? Is that normal?
My View - No idea. Completely baffles me given that other cars were delivered with number plates with registered number. Maybe because I am from different district?

6. Spare Keys & Underbody coating Issue - Clearly a miscommunication happened here. What would happen if I misplace my key and what if my Driver did not check the underbody?
My View - Key was a miscommunication. He surely would not have know that my car would be due for first service within a week. For underbody, I would not like to speculate on if’s and but’s and judge them. So, again, giving the benefit of doubt to them.

From a Spooky to Good Experience :-

Looking back was I paranoid during the process of booking and post delivery? I completely agree that nothing can be perfect. It’s just that, things could have been different had the Sales Manager communicated better to me and comforted me, rather than giving an attitude that came across to me as “My way or Highway”.

The first issue - a big letdown - was the Colour Band and that certainly impacted my view of the Showroom and made me cautious of their further actions. Because of that experience, what it did to my mind was to make me look at everything in suspicion. If that one experience had not happened, the other tiny issues would not come across to me as a big deal, as everything was sorted out then and there. Overall, this should have been a positive experience. Yet, it lead me to have mixed feelings on the entire process itself and question the showroom credentials.

But, I am so glad that the car has no issues until now. Everything looks and seems to run perfect and I am so glad for that. The car has now clocked 6000 kms this month and waiting for my second free service probably by this month end.

Car Observations :-

I have read so many great reviews on Nexon. So, I would try to share my observations comparing Nexon to Ciaz ( Though completely different cars). While my writeup might come across as criticising Nexon, its actually not. This is about me getting used to Nexon and differentiating Nexon from Ciaz. Also, We choose Nexon not by evaluating the interiors / features / usability / mileage. Nexon just fit into our budget perfectly. Knowing fully aware that the car might not suit to our liking, we made the booking. Which means, we cannot complain on the features. We can only adapt ourselves to the car which is not a big deal in life! So, this is more of us getting used to Nexon coming from Ciaz.

Exteriors -

Nexon looked fantastic to our eyes. We love the way it stood in front of us. Ciaz felt like a tamed, cute, cuddly cat. While Nexon stood before us like a fox.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-1.jpg

The car is not a “smooth” on exterior with too many ‘bends’ where the dust can easily settle. For example, The rear taillight is protruded and that means, place for dust to settle. Ciaz had a plain rear exterior, so dusting was easier. I find 4 ‘bends’ just above and below TATA Logo where dust can settle. Similar bends are found in front as well. Maybe because of the wind during drives, dust doesn’t settle.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-2.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-3.jpg

Huge ground clearance which meant roads ( speed breakers ) conquered easily. I had to drive Ciaz diagonally at times to cross speed breaker just near our house. With a fully loaded Nexon, it was no issue.

Interiors -

Upgrading from Ciaz to Nexon seemed like a upgrade from Nokia to iPhone. The instrument cluster is now digital - Eyes took a while to get used to. It looked simpler with Ciaz. Here, TPMS occupied top right corner along with top row taken by Cruise Control information and seat belt reminders. Only in bottom I could look at ODO, Trip meters, distance to empty etc. I realised how much I was used to being an analogue guy in a digital world. Difference was sharp and takes time getting used to.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-4.jpg

Another subtle upgrade over Ciaz was steering wheel. I loved the small extension at 10-2 driving position on steering. It was a neat addition if you use 10-2 position. I only wish the horn pad was little more bigger in area. Anyway, sitting on Nexon driver seat felt majestic to a sedan.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-5.jpg

Interior door pads are mostly made of white fabric which means prone to dirt. Within a month of usage, I can see the change of colour. I am pretty sure this would turn to brown by the 3rd year. Any idea on fabric cleaners for car would be great help. I badly need one.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-6.jpg

I did not like that door unlocking button was placed in centre console and not on driver side door pad. My daughter could not easily reach for the buttons.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-7.jpg

Storage Areas :-

I have a love-it-hate-it relation with storage pockets in Nexon. I love the rectangle storage box near Hand Brake. It can hold your wallet or keys and you can close it too and looks neat. However, the USB slot area above gear box is not great. If I plug in my USB, the space is pretty much useless as it already holds the car keys. If I plug in my dual port USB charges, it a mess. So I adjusted myself to place the keys on driver door pad and free up the space. This way, the place is just for USB and coins.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-8.jpg

The water bottle holders on door pads feels weird. I had to store my bottle in a horizontal way rather than vertical. Ciaz’s door pad had ample storage and was very comfortable. Maybe I am not used to Nexon’s yet, but taking out water bottle and placing it back again takes practise.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-9.jpg

The umbrella holder looks good, but how often I am going to take the trouble to fold and insert in the holder? Might as well drop it in legspace or under driver seat.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-10.jpg

What I liked in Nexon are the bag hooks placed discreetly in the car. There is one in front leg space, couple more in rear and another in boot.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-11.jpg

I liked the space in Glove box. There are two separate cabins with the top being enough place to hold just a book. Its spacious, got a pen holder and pockets to put in small boxes too.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-12.jpg

Infotainment :-

Ciaz, did not have an infotainment, so this was a first for me. While making the booking, I was excited to use technology, but on usage I found it to be not that much of an help other than for the reverse camera. The brightness was irritating during night drives and to switch off the display is not an easy task. Even when the display is off, an increase in volume or change in FM station it brings back the screen alive. Much worse, the display brightness cannot be changed when headlights are on.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-13.jpg

I read reviews that the infotainment lags in responsiveness. Coming from a car that did not have infotainment, this was not an issue. If I were to compare to Hector’s infotainment, Nexon is way behind.

Rear Seat :-

Rear seat is more comfortable than Ciaz. Accommodating my Wife, Mother and Myself in rear seat felt more comfortable than Ciaz. Maybe the seat length is little shorter, but I feel the thigh support is way better than Ciaz. But legroom suffers compared to Ciaz, but its not like XUV 300. The difference is negligible.

I love that rear seats are foldable. So, that gives me an option to increase boot space when I travel with my Wife and Kid. Also, behind the left rear seat, there is socket which I guess can be used for charging too. I have not tried so far.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-14.jpg

Boot Space :-

Nexon claims 350 litres of boot space. But, for a heavy bag packer like me, this would not be sufficient. Ciaz had wide and low mouth which meant even kids cycle ( I carry them every time I travel with my kid ) can be placed along with suitcases on sides, without loading on top of the cycle. Here it’s impossible. It has to be either the kids cycle or suitcases. So, getting used to packing for Nexon might take a while, I guess. But, I love the bag hooks and a strap to hold articles.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-15.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-16.jpg

Driving Comfort :-

My chauffeur and myself absolutely love driving the Nexon. The car truly behaves well on road compared to Ciaz. When a Fortuner or a heavy vehicle overtakes, Ciaz would tremble or ‘shiver’. This was almost negligible or absent in Nexon. Remember, we drive between 80 to 90 and car that overtakes us are lot. Recently, We took a non-stop drive for 200 kms on a highway with little discomfort or back pain. We pulled over only when the voice said “Have a Tea break”. This was great because, towards the end of Ciaz’s life, I was beginning to get back pain.

My father calls the driving comfort due to ‘New Car’ fever that I caught. But, I disagree. There is a clear difference between travelling in a Sedan and SUV. I only dreamt of the comfort I would have got in Hector, but thats not another day!

Features like Auto Headlights and Rain Sensing Wipers are a bonus for us. Rain Sensing wipers, sometimes, go bonkers even if there is a slight drizzle. So, I hardly use it.

Mileage :-

First up, I absolutely love the Cruise Control and Its very useful. My driving pattern is mostly 80% highways, 10% in excellent single lanes and 10% on worst roads. I set cruise to 80 kms on highways. From Paranur Toll ( Outskirts of Chennai ) to Dindigal is about 400 kms. On just concluded trip on a Sunday afternoon, we were cruising the entire stretch at 80kms. Being an afternoon with hardly any traffic, the need to override or stop cruise was minimum. This was the best economical trip thus far. We covered a total of 468 kms 85% on highway and 15% on single lane and we got 24.6 kmpl. We filled up with 18.57 litres which calculates to 25.2 kmpl.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-17.jpg

The next best trip was the same route but a night drive, a week earlier, which gave 23.2 for the same stretch cruising at same 80 kms. So, I would say, a boring driver like me would get upto 23 kmpl on highways. We drove in City mode and with temperature at 25.

Within city limits, we drove a maximum of 50 kms on a stretch and the trip showed economy of 18.4 kmpl. Purely on single lanes, we drove a maximum of 120 kms where we got 21.7 kmpl.

Overall, I am satisfied with the mileage.

Present Niggles Faced :-

I face few niggles that needs to be ironed out in next service.

1) Reverse Camera - The sensor alarm does not work well. At times, even when there is no hinderance, the red line shows up and sound is just blaring all the time.

2) Second Gear does not slip well. I get a hard ‘tuck’ sound most of the time. The rest gear glides easily.

The ODO now is at 6500 kms and I should be sending the vehicle next week for second free service.
sse is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 20:01   #4738
BHPian

Almost all experience almost all the hassles faced by you .

Yes, second key is not provided to anyone and the same reason ( semiconductor shortage) is quoted.
Old 15th June 2022, 22:47   #4739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apratim_Choudhu View Post
I was with the technician during the whole process and it is a matter of just a few seconds. After adjusting the steering to neutral/center position, the angle being displayed in the laptop has to be reset and you are done.
Thank you so much. I have done alignments multiple times and it's still there. Now, it's far better than before but for some reason I find the steering to be too heavy. On the recalibration part, I will have to try with other TASS or push the guys with whom I've been interacting to get the recalibration done.
Old 17th June 2022, 15:03   #4740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Can anyone please confirm whether Tata Motors has delivered this additional 1 year of extended OE warranty to anyone, as promised?
No, they didn't. After a point I got fed up and stopped following-up on this. :(
alphasri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed