Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2022, 19:34   #4861
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

So Tata called me for my third free service on 6th August 2022. My car was delivered to me on 4th September 2021 and the odo as it stood on the day I gave my car for service was 13500kms approximately. It is a Nexon XM Petrol model.
For those who remember, I was experiencing a creaking squeaking noise from the left side of the vehicle for around a month and a half. I had spoken to the service advisor at Tata then and he had suggested to wait it out till my third service.
So thus, as soon as I got a call from Tata, I did not delay the same and that's primarily the reason of giving it in a bit early.
I gave my car for service yesterday, 7th August 2022 (Sunday). I have generally noted that the service advisors become pretty defensive when they deal with automotive people like us who know their cars
The service advisor put forth the AMC which as I understood essentially takes care of this service and the next which would happen after 6 months. It does not take care of anything that might be changed in either of these services. I was fine with it for some time.
Then he proposed that the wheel alignment and balancing would be included in this. I never get wheel balancing and alignment done from the service centers, be it whichever company. But seeing the price benefit I agreed and told the advisor if it included tyre rotation. He said yes and I told him to do the rotation for all the five tyres which included the spare wheel too. Immediately I was told that its always for the four tyres because the fifth is of a different size. I told him that tyre size differs only for the XZ models and not for the XM model. Again vehemently he argued and asked me to show proof. So I calmly opened the service book and showed him the page where it explicitly mentions on the same. Now I get the answer that they are not supposed to rotate the spare tyre. I politely decline the wheel balancing, alignment and along with it the AMC as it did not justify the pricing. One down, one more to go
Regards to the squeaking and creaking sound, the advisor very proactively took the car for a test drive and acknowledged the same. I also told him that being an avid automotive fan, there has been reports of a certain batch of Nexons in which this type of sound has been due to failure of parts of the suspension.
Today had a talk with the advisor and he said that lubrication did not take away the sound. So they have changed the lower arms of the suspension and they are with holing the car till tomorrow for final tests and then they will hand it over to me.
Now a couple of things come into the picture.

1. Parts failing so early in the life cycle of a car doesn't speak well. My previous car was a Hyundai i10 petrol model which ran 1.5 lakh kms and its very first suspension over hall happened at 90k kms. To be noted that inspite of running 13.5k kms in 11 months, this car is not abused at all and it runs on good roads as per Indian standards at least.
My previous car was my companion for 11 years and I had complete peace of mind for 10.5 years out of those 11. Whereas I might not look at keeping this car for another 11 years but atleast I would look at retaining it for a good 5 years along with perfect peace of mind. Such events bring that doubt in the mind of the owner somewhere for sure

2. It waits to be seen if Tata take it upon them selves to absorb the cost of the parts replaced under warranty. Have seen the same happen previously when they changed the boot lock proactively.

3. If everything is done under warranty then again full marks to Tata for being proactive and in a way accepting that the fault lies with the machine and not with the man.

4. But it still begs the question on early parts failure in two aspects. It should be looked into very urgently by Tata and a recall done. Also, what happens when such events happens in remote areas?

Will update once I receive my car and test drive it myself and also how they cover the parts which are being changed.

I do not know how to or if there is a way to tag other members to my post. Requesting mods to do the same if there is a provision for Kausthubh2785 & sunbaj.

Dear Kausthubh2785, I remember you also facing the same issue. Do let us know of any updates on the same.

Dear sunbaj, you were looking towards an update on this issue. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by drritwik : 8th August 2022 at 19:39.
drritwik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 18:18   #4862
BANNED

Guys are Tata spares easily available outside of Service centres? As easily as Maruti?

Are main critical niggles of Nexon sorted?
(not talking about power window or some electronics not working, but something which could leave one stranded - car not starting, gearbox, engine issues etc)
Old 9th August 2022, 19:07   #4863
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drritwik View Post
3. If everything is done under warranty then again full marks to Tata for being proactive and in a way accepting that the fault lies with the machine and not with the man.
When 13,000 cars are being sold every month, some will have some part problem - irrespective of OEM.

Warranty replacement cost is generally passed on to the vendor providing it.

For doing a recall, there needs to be service information from the field indicating a problem with design/ manufacturing from specific batches across significant number of cars. One swallow does not a summer make.

C2P is always better than AMC. AMC pricing is high.

Having been a Tata car owner for more than a decade, from a longevity perspective, interior trim parts (especially rubber beadings) may be a bigger issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Guys are Tata spares easily available outside of Service centres? As easily as Maruti?

Are main critical niggles of Nexon sorted?
Not aware of any persistent critical niggles with car quality. Lax service center KHT forced me to order RSA (after service battery cable came loose and nothing works when that happens)

Wiring for display came loose (however the system was still working)

Original spares are no longer available outside as they used to be a decade back.

PS - When you are considering this feedback, please bear in mind, I am a fairly aggressive driver on rough roads (considering the hard suspension at low speeds - my antidote is to take advantage of the superb high speed ride quality)

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th August 2022 at 19:36. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts.
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 10:48   #4864

Ok. Pretty last minute here as I am headed out for a trip with the fam this weekend on my 2019 Nexon XZA+. Just realized the roof rails are non-functional (I think? They extend from the A Pillar). Any idea where to get a good and quick fix for the roof-rail and cross bars in Delhi?

I checked out Farad recommended here but they take some time to ship it from Mumbai and quick delivery is costing a bomb (13K for the cross bars and 4K for shipping)! Also, I would still need to fix a new pair of roof-rails even if I get hold of the Farad cross-bars. Any suggestions recommended.
Old 10th August 2022, 22:17   #4865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
For doing a recall, there needs to be service information from the field indicating a problem with design/ manufacturing from specific batches across significant number of cars. One swallow does not a summer make.
Having owned/driven cars across various manufacturers, I agree to this point you have made. Bu the point I was making was slightly different.
Here itself I have read that some of the members have faced similar problems and, if memory serves me correct, one of the members here itself highlighted that Tata motors are acknowledging the fact that some batches of the Nexon are facing this.
Also to the point that warranty cost is passed on to the vendor, I again agree to it but with my experience I have usually found that manufacturer's try to play the cat and mouse game in such instances trying to pass the buck to the customer. If Tata motors upfront replace the required parts under warranty I would at least award brownie points from my end.
Hope I could clarify my perspective of the whole thing.
Old 11th August 2022, 11:27   #4866
srh
BHPian

Quote:
If Tata motors upfront replace the required parts under warranty I would at least award brownie points from my end.
Hope I could clarify my perspective of the whole thing.
Yes. Tata Motors generally don't create hassles while replacing parts under warranty. They are liberal in approach.
Old 11th August 2022, 15:10   #4867
BHPian

Quote:
So Tata called me for my third free service on 6th August 2022. My car was delivered to me on 4th September 2021 and the odo as it stood on the day I gave my car for service was 13500kms approximately. It is a Nexon XM Petrol model.
So in continuation of this post, I received my vehicle back from the service center yesterday.
First things first, the major complain which was of the squeaking & creaking noise has been completely resolved. Since yesterday I have driven the car around 20 kms or so and there is pin drop silence
So what were the parts changed by Tata? The lower arm assay both sides as well as both side lower link ball joints. These parts have been specifically changed with regards to the sounds which were happening. Now yes, I know that its very early to about the standard of work but, I will be going out this weekend for 3 days and the car will run around 500kms in that time span. So once I am back I can give a better feedback. As of now the suspension does feel tighter than before and is tackling the city road undulations better than the last few months.
What I really appreciated from Tata motors was that they was absolutely no fuss about acknowledging that the noise was because of faulty suspension parts and, changing the required parts under warranty. Wonderful Tata motors.....kudos to you for handling this so so well.
This was my third service also. Engine oil was changed, along with the oil filter. I asked them to change the air filter also but they told me that the air filter is good to go till the next service, nothing to worry. Kudos on this too on not going ahead and changing parts unnecessarily.
The total bill for the third service came to Rs 2243 all inclusive. Not at any point did the service advisor try to push anything down my throat.
I have had cars from the Maruti stable as well as the Hyundai stable for many many years. This is the first time I shifted to Tata Motors. There were 3 cars from Hyundai in my family of which 2 remains (sold mine). Saddens to say that now a days service costs of Hyundai have sky rocketed and that was one of the major reasons for me to shift from Hyundai this time around.
Tata was again unknown territory for me along with many horror stories around Tata ASS. But I must say that they are a new Tata, gone are the old days, at least from where my vehicle is being serviced.
So with a year of ownership experience of the Tata Nexon XM(P) model, total service cost has been Rs 2243 and the experience has been wonderful.
Cheers and to many many more miles of driving.
drritwik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 23:51   #4868
BHPian

In another inexplicable cost cutting exercise (somehow commonplace for Tata, now), they have apparently deleted the rear washer / wiper even from the top variants of the Nexon.

Source: https://www.v3cars.com/news/tata-nex...box=1660557073
Old 18th August 2022, 09:47   #4869
BHPian

Hello fellow members,

Shortlisted the petrol Nexon XZA+P Black edition and planning to book by this weekend with a proposed 3-4 week waiting period. Will be great help to understand of any offers/discount the recent owners were able to extract from the dealer.

Thanks in advance for insights.
Old 18th August 2022, 10:42   #4870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaisalmeriya View Post
Hello fellow members,

Shortlisted the petrol Nexon XZA+P Black edition and planning to book by this weekend with a proposed 3-4 week waiting period. Will be great help to understand of any offers/discount the recent owners were able to extract from the dealer.

Thanks in advance for insights.
Sorry, very little I'll be able to add on the discount front.
Here are my 2 cents about waiting period (since I saw your location as PUNE)

I have booked XZA+ (O) in 14th May (3 months / 13 CW completed), vehicle is still not allocated. Official ETA from TATA is 8-10 CW for Manual and upto 20 weeks for Automatic , attaching new article for your reference.

https://zeenews.india.com/auto/tata-...r-2490310.html
M & M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 14:20   #4871
BHPian

Anyone from the community could add some comments on practical benefits of adding a side stepper in Nexon ?
While the primary objective of the stepper itself is to assist in easy ingress/egress which will serve in my case as well since my mother struggles to get in and out of Nexon generally, I am assesing the cons, etc. as well.

-Does it mess with aerodynamics of the car significantly?
-Are OEM ones better or aftermarket ones are just fine ? I see the difference in price is twice or thrice. 15k is definitely not small amount.
-Do they alter the vehicle width so much that one can end up misjudging in narrow streets ? I have heard about this a lot but I noticed that Nexon fenders and wheel arc already protrudes a bit so maybe it'll align ?
-What's the weight of it in general ? Even 20-25kg means adding unnecessary weight.

If I go for origial OEM side step, is that something I should reach out to dealership or I have to visit Tata ASC ? Will the pricing be same at both places ?
Old 21st August 2022, 22:34   #4872
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone gone for the XM+(S) Variant? Just wanted to check if the touchscreen supports Android Auto / Apple Car Play?
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:23   #4873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
-Does it mess with aerodynamics of the car significantly?
-Are OEM ones better or aftermarket ones are just fine ? I see the difference in price is twice or thrice. 15k is definitely not small amount.
-Do they alter the vehicle width so much that one can end up misjudging in narrow streets ? I have heard about this a lot but I noticed that Nexon fenders and wheel arc already protrudes a bit so maybe it'll align ?
-What's the weight of it in general ? Even 20-25kg means adding unnecessary weight.

If I go for origial OEM side step, is that something I should reach out to dealership or I have to visit Tata ASC ? Will the pricing be same at both places ?
Hi Rishi,

My son is 7 years old and really struggles to "climb" inside the car. I have been contemplating to fix the same but the dealership has always drawn a blank and always stated its not available. I will be approaching the service center to check if its available.

My understanding to your questions are as follows:

1. I don't think it messes with the aerodynamics with the car significantly. Having said that, its a visual judgment only.
2.OEM is the best and it nearly justifies the price I would say.
3. Vehicle width is not altered because as you have mentioned, the wheel arches are already flared enough. But yes, it might foul with the ground clearance a bit.
4. Weight I am not sure of but with kids or elderlies in the family, I would say it is a necessary addition to the Nexon.

Hope this clarifies a bit at your end.
Cheers
drritwik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 21:26   #4874
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rishi,

My son is 7 years old and really struggles to "climb" inside the car. I have been contemplating to fix the same but the dealership has always drawn a blank and always stated its not available. I will be approaching the service center to check if its available.

My understanding to your questions are as follows:

1. I don't think it messes with the aerodynamics with the car significantly. Having said that, its a visual judgment only.
2.OEM is the best and it nearly justifies the price I would say.
3. Vehicle width is not altered because as you have mentioned, the wheel arches are already flared enough. But yes, it might foul with the ground clearance a bit.
4. Weight I am not sure of but with kids or elderlies in the family, I would say it is a necessary addition to the Nexon.

Hope this clarifies a bit at your end.
Cheers
Thanks for some feedback on this. I got the side step installed a day before yesterday from the Dealership I purchased the car from. They offered me some discount and priced it at 14,250 INR. It was newer design with all-matt black rubberized finish with Nexon written in chrome. It looks way better than the old one.
Unfortunately, the installation was very mediocre. I found that the left panel was installed okay but the right panel towards the driver side was not aligned properly. When I asked the installation mechanic he said that it's due to the cladding gap/defect (but tbh, there didn't seemed any, its just bad installation IMO unless TATAMO really has such poor design gaps/flaws. I will post a pic that will do the justice to the words).

My car is due for it's first free service in few days, so I was wondering if they will take care of it for free of cost during service ?

In addition, today I drove the car over (what seems like a concrete pillar or something). I heard a very strong bang sound from under the car, I inspected the car's underbody at home sometime later and didn't notice any leakage except some water leakage which I suppose is from the AC condensation outlet. Pretty sure about that as it stopped after the car was off for a while.
I also tried checking for any major dents or anything under the body of the car but all of it seems painted black. Don't see any black paint chipped of anywhere (I am assuming that is the underbody antirust coating/galvanization coat).
The front bumper had a very tiny miniscule scratch below the attack angle.
The sound however was heavy, the dashboard shook! Can someone take a look at the video footage I clipped from both rear and front and suggest if I should take some cautionary measure and get it inspected thoroughly from a mechanic.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 24th August 2022 at 21:28.
Old 25th August 2022, 16:09   #4875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtach View Post
Sweet ride there you have sir! Few queries on the tyre upgrade
195/60 R16--> 215/60 R16 equates to 12 mm gain in side wall height and 3.75% increase in circumference. Generally <2% change is considered okay. Any particular reason you chose to go higher?
How does it affect the ride? Do you feel discernible difference in cushioning broken roads at lower speeds (15-20 kmph ish)over the stock tyres?
Any difference at ~100 kmph speeds in side to side or vertical movements from the stock setup?
Do the tyres foul with the wheel well at full tilt of the steering?
Thanks.
the higher end variants ( xz and dark editions) get 215/60 r16, so no issue at all in upgrading to that size. It didn't affect the ride quality at low speeds or on broken roads. Not much difference between stock tyres and the upgraded ones in terms of handling and vertical or side to side movements at triple digit speeds , I've tested it by carrying speeds over 100 kmph around corners on highways and the car handles it perfectly as it was in stock mode. tyres donot touch the wheel well as the frame of the car has been designed to accommodate 215/60 r 16 of the high end variants.
Valhalla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed