Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 16:38   #4996

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogg_23 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I would like to share my recent PDI experience. And here comes the big show, SA gets inside, turns on the engine, and opens the sunroof. It nicely opens, then he presses the closing button, but it doesn't close. It nearly closes and bounces back.
The PDI happened on 7th Nov, 11 AM - 12 PM. We noticed the problem of the sunroof not closing around 11.30 AM. We mailed all the photos wherever the issues were found. For 2 days there is no reply from the SA. On the 9th Nov, evening SA shared a video of the sunroof closing. We decided the sunroof is too big a feature to handle, as we have seen a 2.5 day service time required (that too before selling the car). We do not want to risk purchasing a car whose sunroof might not close, and we have to go to a nearby service center and leave it there for a few days. What if this happens when we are on a trip? Mechanical problems can be resolved by roadside shops in a few hours at max. But the high-end features like the sunroof don't seem to have easy solutions. We rejected the vehicle, as there is no response from SA regarding the other issues we raised.

We started looking into more reliable cars and found the Honda 5th gen V CVT to be a very comfortable car. We are going ahead with the Honda City.
fogg_23 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 20:44   #4997
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The PDI happened on 7th Nov, 11 AM - 12 PM. We noticed the problem of the sunroof not closing around 11.30 AM.
We started looking into more reliable cars and found the Honda 5th gen V CVT to be a very comfortable car. We are going ahead with the Honda City.
Congratulations!

Whosoever made this decision (you or your family member or a friend) deserve a

Honda, unlike other peers, is more Japanese than the Indo-Japanese culture that other Japanese companies have adopted. Why I say this is because Honda still follows and uses a lot of suppliers based only on the recommendations of Honda Japan, unlike others who have almost everything localised!

Not suggesting that we cannot/ do not make good products but somewhere that cost-cutting is so very apparent when we localise that many traditional Japanese suppliers say NO rather than supplying something that's not possible at demanded prices.

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th November 2022 at 20:55.
Turbanator is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 21:31   #4998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We rejected the vehicle, as there is no response from SA regarding the other issues we raised.
Upon your rejection - did the dealership offer to replace with a different unit? Or simply proceeded to refund of your payment with nonchalance?
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 01:08   #4999
BHPian

Has anyone got the Nexon AC thermostat replaced recently due to cooling issues. Does the entire dashboard needs to be removed to do that. Also could anyone confirm what is the latest software revision for ICE unit in BS4 models. I am seeing a lot of Android auto crashes while using google maps for navigation.
Old 11th November 2022, 11:07   #5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Upon your rejection - did the dealership offer to replace with a different unit? Or simply proceeded to refund of your payment with nonchalance?
Surprisingly, complete silence from SA. He didn't say anything about a refund or allocating a new vehicle (Everything happened in WhatsApp chat, so no reply from SA after my decision). Today, I will ask him about the update on my refund status.

Coming to the refunds from various dealers, I found Hyundai very professional; we booked Venue but canceled it due to uncertain safety ratings, and we got a refund in 3 days. TATA Adishakti, Hebbal branch is surprisingly notorious; it's been 25 days since we canceled our Nexon XE, and no refund from them. We are sending messages to SA asking for update on refund, but it's not helpful.
fogg_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 21:04   #5001

Nexon owners, would you recommend this car to a first-time car buyer who has just learnt to drive?

My most significant criteria for a car is safety and I like that it has 5-Star GNCAP rating as well as ESP/ESC which Punch & Altroz don't have.

But I am concerned that Nexon's engine will be too powerful for a new driver like me and it might be too big to handle as well.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
Old 13th November 2022, 21:30   #5002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtk2903 View Post
Nexon owners, would you recommend this car to a first-time car buyer who has just learnt to drive?
Sure, bigger is better right from day one. Although I wanted to buy it, went for Tiago NRG due to budget restrictions and to be honest overheard stories about TATA cars' reliability. But now 100% convinced that these cars are the best ones available. Another criteria that I tend to follow is not to buy a car that is in its first generation. Nexon was in its 1st gen in 2019 when I bought Tiago which was in 2nd gen I think. Nexon is a matured product now and can be bought certainly as 1st car.
rajivtelang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 21:53   #5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I asked SA regarding the refund situation. He mentioned that the process has begun, and I can expect the refund by this month's end. I do not know why the SA did not offer a different unit.
Old 13th November 2022, 21:56   #5004

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Sure, bigger is better right from day one. Although I wanted to buy it, went for Tiago NRG due to budget restrictions and to be honest overheard stories about TATA cars' reliability. But now 100% convinced that these cars are the best ones available. Another criteria that I tend to follow is not to buy a car that is in its first generation. Nexon was in its 1st gen in 2019 when I bought Tiago which was in 2nd gen I think. Nexon is a matured product now and can be bought certainly as 1st car.
Thanks, Rajiv! Will the powerful engine matter as well? Being a new driver, I wish to drive safely and avoid causing harm to others.
rtk2903 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 22:08   #5005
BHPian

Quote:

My most significant criteria for a car is safety and I like that it has 5-Star GNCAP rating as well as ESP/ESC which Punch & Altroz don't have.

But I am concerned that Nexon's engine will be too powerful for a new driver like me and it might be too big to handle as well.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
You will not have any problem driving Nexon as your first car. You will get used to it in a month. I bought Fiat Linea as my first car which is longer, wider, and more powerful than most hatchbacks. Many people suggested small cars being a new driver but I got used to Linea in a few weeks so it is always better a buy car which works for long term
swoosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 20:22   #5006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post

Problem-
Coming straight to the problem, he started noticing loud engine noise and vibration before the car's first service was due and reported the same. The issue was rectified as per the SA and the problem disappeared. But a couple of weeks afterward the issue cropped up again. This time, the car was checked, and to everyone's shock had only 200 ml of engine oil in it. There was no leak or damage found that could have resulted in the loss of engine oil. Plus as per SA, he didn't find any metal debris in the engine oil or the oil filter. He even got a compression test done and the results were okay. So he filed his findings and the issue with Tata Motors and two days afterward he has now confirmed that the company has approved the replacement of the engine with a new one.
Update on the issue-
The car was received back after a week with the new engine installed. Till now the car has been driven over 2000 kms and as per my friend everything is as it was on day 1 of the car. That said, here are how the things happened from the other side.
  • Tata offered to pay for the taxi charges of my friend's daily commute as they weren't able to arrange for an automatic as a loaner car. The catch here was that if they have to keep the car for more than 4 days then only they will provide this facility (although my friend didn't took the money as his colleague picked and dropped him during that time)
  • Second the entire engine unit came from Gurugram and with a blank plate so no engine number change was required on the RC.
  • Third during the entire interaction with the workshop and its manager what stood out was we never had to raise our voice or fight for getting things done as per our satisfaction. The Goldrush Lucknow workshop team were accommodating and helpful.
  • Lastly, Tata never gave a reason why the engine failed or any report of it in word/writing. They just gave an invoice which mentioned engine change under warranty.
To conclude I can say although an engine replacement happening in a couple of month old car is not the best thing to happen but the way company and the workshop folks handled the issue goes a long way in reinstating trust.
AROO7 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 08:18   #5007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Rajiv! Will the powerful engine matter as well? Being a new driver, I wish to drive safely and avoid causing harm to others.
Well, considering the weight of Nexon the engine power is adequate. Whether you buy automatic or manual do some practice on the sensitivity of accelerator and/or clutch release before going into crowded public places. Once you have that judgment everything should be fine. Use weekends to practice in narrow roads, slopes with half clutch locking etc. Get a good driver along with you while practicing. From your questions I feel you are planning for a petrol AMT, aren't you?
And if you still have size concerns go for Punch or Altroz even though you have rejected them. Both have 5 stars and way easy to handle.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 15th November 2022 at 08:20.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 11:12   #5008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post
[*]Third during the entire interaction with the workshop and its manager what stood out was we never had to raise our voice or fight for getting things done as per our satisfaction. The Goldrush Lucknow workshop team were accommodating and helpful.[*]Lastly, Tata never gave a reason why the engine failed or any report of it in word/writing. They just gave an invoice which mentioned engine change under warranty.[/list]To conclude I can say although an engine replacement happening in a couple of month old car is not the best thing to happen but the way company and the workshop folks handled the issue goes a long way in reinstating trust.
Hi AR007,

This has been exactly the same experience I have also had with Tata Motors. Parts of the suspension were changed under warranty. No voices had to be raised and no mails, forget about escalation mails, were needed.
While changing parts early into ownership does bring into question a few things but the way TATA motors are handling parts change under warranty is something others should sit up and take note of. It is this attitude which if held for the coming future will surely make me take note of TATA during my next change of steed down the line.
drritwik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 11:50   #5009

Quote:
Well, considering the weight of Nexon the engine power is adequate. Whether you buy automatic or manual do some practice on the sensitivity of accelerator and/or clutch release before going into crowded public places. Once you have that judgment everything should be fine. Use weekends to practice in narrow roads, slopes with half clutch locking etc. Get a good driver along with you while practicing. From your questions I feel you are planning for a petrol AMT, aren't you?
And if you still have size concerns go for Punch or Altroz even though you have rejected them. Both have 5 stars and way easy to handle.
You guessed it right, I am looking at Petrol AMT. Took a test 'ride' as well yesterday and it felt great sitting inside the cabin. Thank you for all the help, Rajiv. You have helped me a lot in strengthening my decision to go for Nexon.
Old 15th November 2022, 14:04   #5010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drritwik View Post
This has been exactly the same experience I have also had with Tata Motors. Parts of the suspension were changed under warranty. No voices had to be raised and no mails, forget about escalation mails, were needed.
While changing parts early into ownership does bring into question a few things but the way TATA motors are handling parts change under warranty is something others should sit up and take note of. It is this attitude which if held for the coming future will surely make me take note of TATA during my next change of steed down the line.
The amusing bit is - I (and many friends & family) - have had this excellent experience of ASC honouring warranty without any fuss since over a decade now (and my cars tend to be significantly modded on electricals always). It has always been one of the best in budget segment cars at least. Things like this - often are expected (as they should be) by default, and we don't tend to report these positive aspects.

What I'm more interested to know is about how Tata continues this. For all these years - they have been on a back-foot on sales charts. So anything good to impress the customer, would be somewhat priority. Now - they are consistently in the top 3, and even top segment sales some times. Business is running like never before. Will they continue the gentleman's way of warranty handling in coming years or somewhere arrogance or "optimization" will creep in. Thats the aspect to look at going forward.
Quote:
The only dimension where the Altroz is considerably smaller than the Nexon - is the height. Length/width - it pretty much matches the Nexon anyway. In fact to look at - it even seems slightly wider than the Nexon (aided by the low height).
That said - if I was out shopping for a petrol car in this price segment today - I'd pick the Altroz over the Nexon for a lot of reasons. Either the iTurbo or the DCA.

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th November 2022 at 14:09.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks