Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2023, 20:54   #5056

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Mileage check:

I have completed a trip of 2877 KM in last 10 days. This is the mileage I got.

Total travel: 2877 KM
Fuel consumed: 196.5 ltr
Mileage: 14.64 kmpl (Tank to tank)
Mileage shown in MID: 15.8 kmpl

Vehicle: Nexon XZ+ petrol 2022 April make.

Odo reading before starting the trip: 10105
Odo reading after the trip: 12982

Drive mode: Sports mode 70% and city mode 30%
Speed: Ranging from 10 KMPH to 120 KMPH
AC: Auto AC ON always with temperature ranging from 22C to 26.5C.

Fuel used: Normal (3 refills from Nayara, 3 from IOCL and 1 from HPCL)
Total travellers on board: 80% of the travel with 2 adults and a kid + some luggage (~150 kg), 20% travel with 5 adults and a kid + some luggage (~325 kg)

Road condition: All types of road condition driven. ~1300 KM on very good NH’s. Remaining journey on very good SH’s, bad SH’s, terrible SH’s, interior tar/concrete roads, mud roads and some under construction roads.
Terrain: Almost all types of terrain I have driven in last 10 days. Dry and flat terrain (Bangalore to Hyderabad), Ghat sections, Hill stations, costal.

Thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd February 2023 at 18:35. Reason: Rule #11
s_kuppalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 17:22   #5057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kuppalli View Post
Total travel: 2877KM
Fuel consumed: 196.5 ltr
Mileage: 14.64 kmpl (Tank to tank)
Mileage shown in MID: 15.8 kmpl
Very informative post

I feel Nexon is capable of giving much more mileage if we can control our right foot. But then, you know, the Sports mode is really addictive and it's extremely hard to do so.

Would you believe me that I've seen instantaneous mileage climb to 27 kmpl(in MID)in a 50km drive(4-lane road). The AC was off and I was in city mode throughout the drive.
FireBlade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 14:08   #5058

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
Very informative post

I feel Nexon is capable of giving much more mileage if we can control our right foot. But then, you know, the Sports mode is really addictive and it's extremely hard to do so.

Would you believe me that I've seen instantaneous mileage climb to 27 kmpl(in MID)in a 50km drive(4-lane road). The AC was off and I was in city mode throughout the drive.
I wish to have an option to set Sports mode as default. I could not resist myself from using Sports mode.

+1. MID was showing 21KMPL while driving on Nehru ORR Hyderabad. My speed was constant at 90KMPH, with auto AC ON.
Old 3rd January 2023, 23:39   #5059
BHPian

Hi All

I have taken delivery of my Nexon XZ+ on January 1. The car has been driven close to 50 KMs, basically from showroom to temple to home.

I have noticed that the engine temperature meter was at 3 bars constantly throughout the trip. Is it normal? Is it because of the fact that the parts are new?

Please advise.

Regards
shubham7799 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 11:49   #5060

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham7799 View Post
Hi All

I have taken delivery of my Nexon XZ+ on January 1.
=====
Regards
It Fluctuates btw 2-3 bars. If you are cruising at low RPMs, it will remain at two bars, but as soon as you are in traffic or on highway, it jumps to 3 bars. ITs normal, nothing to worry about.
Old 4th January 2023, 15:12   #5061

Hi Guys,

My 2017 Nexon year end service is due and wanted to know from Bangalore based Nexon Owners which service center do they recommend - Kropex or Prerna Motors. I recently moved to Bilekhahalli (off Bannerghatta Road) and I have no prior experience with either Kropex or Prerna Motors (Hongasandra/ Kudlu Gate).
Any guidance would be much appreciated!
Old 5th January 2023, 15:09   #5062

This is my second vehicle crossing the magical 6-digit mark. My previous Fiat Palio MJD had clocked 2,65,000 kms before I picked up the Nexon. Obviously, my comparison will revolve round the Palio for the most part.

Being a nature enthusiast, 60% of my travels are in pursuit of wilderness and both the cars have taken me through some amazing terrains giving me innumerable memories.

Nexon purchase decision

:
My colleague and me reached the venue for a meeting too early and we decided to take a look at the Nexon to kill time. It was love at first sight, though the showroom did not bother giving us a test ride. Next day, test drive was arranged from a different showroom and the deal was struck. 2 Nexons booked, the only difference was the colour.

While I opted for Silver colour which was not a fast moving one, my friend booked a White. The silver one seemed to be lying in the yard for a few months and due to my nature of work and lack of time, I could not go to the yard to do a PDI in spite of promoting the TBHP checklist to everyone . The delivery PDI was much better compared to the palio which was dropped off at home at dark with rain pouring…. However, I missed out on checking the spare wheel and the wheel well was a small swimming pool with a few litres of water traveling along with me for a couple of weeks. Part of the spare wheel rim was rusted and I raised a complaint and it was changed under warranty. They also checked for leaks and thankfully, the spare wheel well is dry over the past 4 years 😉

Ride Quality, etc:

For a hatch on stilts, it handles wonderfully. Gives me a sense of arrogance while driving thru potholed roads and terrains with no roads alike. On highways, the car behaves amazingly good, planted and the steering feedback is spot on too. Braking gives confidence and the alignment is one of the best I have come across so far. More about this soon. No major squeaks and vibrations, ORVMs give a good view whereas the IRVM seems a bit crammed.

Modes:

Never enjoyed the Eco mode, hence don’t use it at all. Until one of the software upgrades, the car used to start on the previous mode and it invariably used to be Sport mode. However, after the upgrade, now car starts on City mode and usually stays on this mode unless I’m on the highway. The best performance of the vehicle will always be at its peak output rather than forcing it to underperform either for mileage or other reasons and I feel it is the Sport mode where the Nexon behaves best.

Build:

Having been used to the famous “Thud” of the Fiat Palio, the doors are relatively less heavy though much better than most. The nuts and bolts are a grade better compared to the Palio. Fiat was known for the quality of products and it is an art to replace a bulb too. Most parts are of good quality and built to last. A direct comparison with the Palio is due here:

Clutch:

The Palio MJD had the famous clutch issue—“Clutching the Clutch” was a common phrase. The first clutch lasted only 22k kms and the best performance of the clutch in the palio was about 65k kms. The Nexon came with a super soft clutch and has remained the same after 1 lakh kms. There is some sign of wear showing up now but I’m sure it’s going to give me more miles before having to change.

Brake Pads:

On recommendation of SA at Prerana Motors, I changed the first set during the third service—around 27,000 kms. The second set is still going strong and though I have a new set with me, my present service centre confirms its good for another 10k kms. This is amazing.

Alignment and Tyres:

The alignment seems to be spot on and for the first time I’ve been checking for alignment only during service or at 10k kms. The Palio had to be aligned every 5k kms or after a long drive into the jungles. The palio had uneven wear issue too though I didn’t face much of the infamous ‘left pulling’. No such issues with the Nexon.

For the first time in my driving history (should have covered at least 4 lakh kms in India), the OE tyres by Bridgestone gave me 87,000 kms. Service centre told me it’s good for another 5k kms but I had a monsoon drive planned and didn’t want to risk the old tyres. Previously, I’ve been changing tyres at 35-45k kms based on wear and travel. Have tried most brands in the market though used to prefer Yokohomas for the Palio. Needless to say, I’m faithful to Bridgestone now. No upgrade, stuck to the original configuration.

Service and Warranty:

Having bought the car at Prerana Motors, stuck to their service centre at Peenya. No major complaints with servicing. Used to stay back and pick up the vehicle for each service. Mr. Ravindra, manager at the service centre was proactive. Had to upgrade to P2P during first service as the showroom did not mention about the same. They goofed up again and I got the P2P plan for 3 years/ 45k kms only and I had almost completed 40k kms in the first year before Covid struck.

Niggles, Parts and Warranty:

1. Spare wheel changed due to rusting mentioned earlier.
2. Had a problem while slotting third gear and it would slip to neutral arbitrarily. They changed the gear shifter first and then the gear box under warranty and the problem was sorted.
3. The water pump developed a leak around 60k kms and in spite of Prerana servicing the car post warranty, they did not recognise the problem/ chose to ignore it. This is when I decided to get all the servicing done through a trusted service centre who has immense experience with Fiat and Tata vehicles and an ex-employee of Concorde Motors. Absolutely no problem after this change of service centre.
4. The reverse camera in the head unit has a mind of its own. It behaves perfectly sometimes and other times, behaves like a B/W TV screen of the Doordarshan era. Had raised a complaint and a Harman executive came for check and said everything is fine. Presently, living with the issue.
5. The central locking unit on the driver side gave up one fine day and had to replace the same. TASS charged almost the cost of the lock as labour charges!
6. Last service, at 94k kms, changed the Timing belt. Water pump was fine and didn’t have to change that.
The overall cost of service, parts like oil, filter, etc are quite reasonable and most of the time readily available. The service experience has been quite good and comes with peace of mind and confidence.

Fuel Economy:

Been consistently getting between 18-20 kmpl (calculated tankful method) with a mixed bag of city and almost highway like run daily. The best I’ve got is 22.5 kmpl on highway but the worst part of the vehicle is the MID. It is off by almost 25-30%, a massive error by any standard. MID consistently shows 26-27 kmpl

Seating and ergonomics:

It took me about 5k kms to get used to the seat in spite of all the adjustment options. Used to get a weird pain at the back of the leg after a short drive. After much research, bought an air cushion which distributes pressure evenly and finally the problem was sorted. I miss the Palio seat even today.

Android Auto:

Works well with original cable of the handset. In recent times, had major problems with connection and part of the problem was the Nokia handset with a loose adaptor. With a new handset, its working fine and the old cable is doing duty.

1. Worthy upgrade from a 1.3 MJD to a 1.5 Dicor.
2. The GC is amazing and in spite of the height, road mannerisms are excellent.
3. Responsive engine and happy to be revved when needed.
4. Braking instils confidence and the present set of front brake pads giving phenomenal life.
5. Fit and finish have aged well. No major signs of wear, noise, vibrations, etc except for the gear knob showing some peeling on the sides.
6. Engine mounts, other rubbers etc are holding well. Yet to change anything.
7. Mechanicals, nuts and bolts, rubber components have all survived these 4 years and the 6 digits on the odometer.
8. Ageing gracefully… Paint is quite intact and so are the plastics inside and outside.

Dislikes:

1. Android Auto and the location of the USB port
2. IRVM is inadequate
3. MID

Thrills:

A competent cruiser and a decent off roader. Have had no issues traversing on bad and no roads too. A worthy partner for my wildlife and birding trips.

Spills:

Thankfully, nothing major. Some scratches and small dents thanks to city traffic.

Pampering:

I believe in maintaining the running components in immaculate condition and rarely add anything extra externally. Got the first oil change done during the first service at 1000kms. Try my best to change engine oil around 10k kms rather than the recommended 15k kms. Flushed the coolant system and changed coolant twice. After a long drive, I clean the air filter without fail. Before and during travel, I check for all fluid levels and for any tell-tale evidence of rodent movement in the engine bay. Though I have never used tobacco, my car has the habit…. Use tobacco leaves in the engine bay to keep the rodents away 😉

It has been a wonderful journey this far and hope to keep the beast for some more time….

Here are the pics

Tata Nexon : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230106-14.00.46.jpeg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230106-14.00.47.jpeg

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th January 2023 at 15:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you!
birdie is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 17:58   #5063
BHPian

I just finished 2K Kms long drive on my Nexon and I could hear some suspension noise while crossing any speed breakers. This sound appeared only when the boot was completely filled with luggage.

Today I took again on a small spin with empty boot and could not hear the sound. Has anyone come across this and what could be the cause and possible solution?
Old 7th January 2023, 12:37   #5064
BHPian

Hi All,
I have a Nexon XZA+ Petrol which I got last year in June. A couple of months back, I noticed that sometimes while driving, the cabin light was coming on for a few seconds and couple of times it was accompanied by a warning that the right rear door was open (which it was not). The warning was not fully delivered and it just started and stopped. I got the car checked during the 2nd service and after that it seemed fine. The advisor told me that it was fixed and I did not notice anything for the last 1 month.
However, yesterday night I was driving through a bad road and hit some potholes and again the cabin light came on for a few seconds. There was no door ajar warning and everything else seemed to fine.

My question is whether anyone has faced this behaviour and whether the cabin light coming on (without any other warning) is a feature when the car goes through bumpy roads?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome

Regards
Old 7th January 2023, 17:30   #5065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
This is my second vehicle crossing the magical 6-digit mark. My previous Fiat Palio MJD had clocked 2,65,000 kms before I picked up the Nexon. Obviously, my comparison will revolve round the Palio for the most part.
Awesome report on your Nexon, Doc! Speaks volume about the build quality of Nexon coming from an ex Palio owner. Right upgrade there! Please share some more pictures.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 18:29   #5066
BHPian

Quote:

3. The water pump developed a leak around 60k kms and in spite of Prerana servicing the car post warranty, they did not recognise the problem/ chose to ignore it. This is when I decided to get all the servicing done through a trusted service centre who has immense experience with Fiat and Tata vehicles and an ex-employee of Concorde Motors. Absolutely no problem after this change of service centre.
Thank you for the detailed post on your Nexon experience.
I presume yours is a Diesel based on the fuel efficiency.
Can you please share the details of the workshop where you get your Nexon serviced? There are many (including me) Tata owners in Bangalore who now find it very hard to get a service appointment with TASS. Most service centers are overwhelmed with too many cars, many of them are within warranty period and the 6-month service interval in newer Tata cars isn't helping either.
srvm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 12:28   #5067

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Would be great if you can share the details of your FNG. Facing issues with servicing my Nexon XZ+ (P) at TASS. Thinking of shifting over from company outlests. Have tried two separate dealerships in blr - Adishakti and Kropex - and both came up short.

Thanks,
Anant

Quote:

Last edited by Sheel : 9th January 2023 at 16:49. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 8th January 2023, 14:20   #5068
BHPian

+1 to Nexon ownership. I have the diesel Nexon XZA + . Despite shoddy maintenance by Tata ASC, the car has survived and thrived. I have done 56 K KMS in 4.5 yrs of ownership and driven it across bad road , good roads, ghats.. you name it.

The torque is addictive. The good year excellence stock tires are really subpar and do not allow the complete torque to be delivered at the Tarmac, there is a lot of wheel spin. My continental UC6 s have made a world of difference. Despite ~30K extra expense, highly recommended.

Despite Tata’s reputation as a unreliable brand, I can say Nexon is some what immune to it. My recommendation has always been , up to Nexon one can buy a Tata. A big no to Harrier / Safari due to their reputation of being unreliable.
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 18:46   #5069

Quote:
Would be great if you can share the details of your FNG. Facing issues with servicing my Nexon XZ+ (P) at TASS. Thinking of shifting over from company outlests. Have tried two separate dealerships in blr - Adishakti and Kropex - and both came up short.

Thanks,
Anant
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/banga...bangalore.html (Friendly Neighbourhood Garage - SMK Car Works (Hosa Road, Bangalore))

Thanks SRVM & Anant. Rajesh is the owner of SMK car Works and he's aready mentioned in the above link.

Quote:
Awesome report on your Nexon, Doc! Speaks volume about the build quality of Nexon coming from an ex Palio owner. Right upgrade there! Please share some more pictures.
Thanks Bejoy. Glad to connect again. Will add more pics soon
birdie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 20:20   #5070
BHPian

Thanks for the honest and detailed review.

I own a Tata Zest with about 1.12L kms on the odo and 8 yrs of ageing. I relate to most things you have mentioned in your review.

The common point seems to be issue with the Harman system. My steering mounted controls stopped working one fine day 3-4 years ago and the only way Tata can even diagnose the issue is by removing the steering and sending it to Harman service centre (don't remember if it was in Chennai or Hyderabad), but not in Bangalore.

Build is solid as mentioned, and I love this part as I hate rattles. After 1.12 L kms, I am hearing some minor rattles and hope to get it fixed in the next service.
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks