Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2023, 16:30   #5071

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Great ownership report Doc.. and great detail of the car..
Very quick to achieve 1 Lakh kms too..!
I am sure you would have enjoyed the experience of Tata Service (new and refreshed) minus the niggles the Palio gave back then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
This is my second vehicle crossing the magical 6-digit mark. My previous Fiat Palio MJD had clocked 2,65,000 kms before I picked up the Nexon. Obviously, my comparison will revolve round the Palio for the most part.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th January 2023 at 16:50. Reason: Mod note attached.
kl_kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 23:46   #5072
BHPian

My XZA+ Diesel has completed 50k till last week. I also had the water pump leakage issue at around 29k and was replaced under warranty by Prerna motors.

I replaced my tyres at 38K as we had our second south north trip planned and she was a blast on the highways

Super comfy and rapid highway cruiser. We did Nagpur to Noida in about 15 hours and still reached out hotel Daisy fresh.

On my second set of brake pads now.

Net net i am in for atleast another 100k kms in this beast.

The best FE i achieved was in sport mode at 90 kmph from BLR to kurnool at 25 kmpl.

Worst FE achieved is kurnool to hyd in sport mode of 12kmpl and when right foot got heavy.

Niggles

The car jerks after about an hour in Bangalore traffic. Maybe the AMT heats up in crawl mode. She has not spent more than 5k kms in city traffic so far..maybe the gearbox didn't learn.. ??

Android auto and head unit have a mind of their own but work better with a iPhone connected. Atleast that stupid prompt to connect doesn't come.

She doesn't like bad fuel. I prefer tanking up only at Nyara/Reliance and big COCO outlets. Twice on the south north trip we had filled up at random pumps and instantly a ton of errors including automatic drive mode change came up and she went into limp mode. And these errors went away as soon as we stopped for our next fill up on route to nearest service center. Once between Nirmal and Nagpur and other time between Sagar and Gwalior.

Not sure if anyone else had the issue.

Last edited by adityasiera : 14th January 2023 at 23:58.
adityasiera is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 08:48   #5073
BHPian

I was annoyed by the ride quality of my OG Glanza MT over bad patches and broken roads. Also was very scared after witnessing the outcome of a very minor accident. We were looking for a robust car with fun to drive and comfortable character. The budget was 15 lakhs.

So I shortlisted a few cars for test drives.

Shortlisted cars were:
  1. New generation Venue
  2. Scorpio N Z4
  3. XUV 300
  4. Wildcard Entry: City ZX
  5. Harrier

1. Venue: Good comfortable car with fair build quality.
    But the appearance seemed unchanged and a bit boring for my personal preference. Dropped it.
  2. Scorpio N Z4: Z4 was not available for test drive. Sales guys were reluctant to provide a test drive even.
    However, they provided a test drive the next week with an automatic one. It is amazingly comfortable and the stance is unmatched.
    But was not sure about delivery dates and even the sales guys were not interested in selling one. So dropped it.
  3. XUV 300: Amazing to drive. Liked the ambiance from the driving seat.
    But it lacked ground clearance as per need (did not measure but from appearance, it seemed the same as my Glanza).
    My better half asked to drop due to the small boot space.
  4. Wildcard Entry: City ZX : This was added to list due to my weakness towards this Japanese sedan. The test drive was so good. Liked all bits of the car but the ground clearance. It came out to be not so valuable investment as I already own a Glanza and it is even lower than that. As it did not qualify for our requirement, we dropped it.
  5. Harrier: WoW. It's a huge car. Ticks all the boxes. Feels and drives like a tank. But had to drop it due to budget issue (XT Plus was going 19L plus).

Conclusion:
So our shortlisted cars were not fitting into our requirements and I decided to park my new car purchase plan.

BUT

On December 1, I was waiting at a signal and saw a Nexon Dark Edition in flesh. Was impressed with the road presence and tall guy stance.

So I visited, Tata showroom nearby which happened to be Dulichand Tata with friends. We checked out the Dark Edition, Kaziranga edition and normal White one of Nexon. Also took a test drive behind Fortis hospitals, Anandapur, Kolkata. Guys who have been on that road know it is a mixed result of off-road track and well-built road with auto and taxis simulating congested situations.
Was impressed with the drive and liked the high seating position. Friends also approved.

After checking out different colors and features, I booked the Jet edition which was ready in stock and could be delivered in December itself.
Paid INR 21000.00 to Dulichand Tata for the booking.

Took a week to arrange finance through Union bank.
16 December 2022: Before final payment, we went to do a PDI at Dulichand Tata, Anandapur.

They took us to the stockyard and it was love at first sight for both me and my better half.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_2.jpg

The Starlight color theme with dark alloy wheels with beefy tires created an attractive look. Even the dirty car hit us hard.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_1.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_4.jpg

Then we controlled our happy emotions and went ahead with PDI.
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_7.jpg

The roof did not have any damage. Sun-roof function worked without issues.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_8.jpg

The engine bay looked untouched and fine.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_9.jpg

The light interior adds up to the roominess. Liked by my parents.

Checked the batch number of all four tires. They are from the same lot. Was not confident about Goodyear Excellence tires. The spare one is Goodyear Assurance of a smaller size.

Did some research and found out these are one size wider than regular Nexon.
Accepted the fact and will see how these tires go.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_3.jpg

We could find a small scratch on the boot and the stock manager's face went dull immediately. He promised to get it fixed. We decided to let it go as we
were aware of how Tata dealers keep their cars. We pushed the sales guy and he was ready with an additional discount.

So the final deal was:

Ex-Showroom INR 12,22,900
Road Tax + Registration INR 69,840
Insurance INR 30,000
Accessories INR 3,350

The discount was provided on the Insurance premium as they said Tata does not allow discounting on the Ex-Showroom price.

We went back and asked the Bank to clear the payment.

Delivery Day 23 December 2022:

As I live almost 150 kilometers away from Kolkata, I called the sales guy the previous day and took confirmation that our car will be delivered on the 23rd.

We arrived at Dulichand Tata, Anandapur, Kolkata at around 12:30PM and to our surprise the car was nowhere at the dealer's compound. The sales guy told us the car is at the workshop and it is being cleaned and polished, will arrive just now.

They started the paperwork. We also did not hesitate.
My friends also arrived during that time. But to our surprise, the car was not on the dealer's premises at 2 PM.
I clearly remember the sales guy's dialogue during the last visit, he was saying it's a norm for them to bring the car at the showroom at least 72 hours before delivery time.

Now the drama starts, the car arrives at 2:30 PM in the same state it was standing at the stockyard. I. checked inside and found the co-driver seat was unwrapped and there are spots inside. It felt like they showed the car to some new customer and also did a test drive in it.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_5.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_6.jpg

My father went very upset about the fact and wanted to meet a senior folk in the showroom. They provided an excuse that as the showroom is being renovated, none of the senior folks are there and assured to clean the car.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_12.jpg

To our shock we saw people rubbing the brand new car with wet clothes and someone is applying some solution on black parts.
They said this is how the cars are delivered and they can't water wash it

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_13.jpg

The dirt under the grille part speaks for everything.

We were hopeless in this showroom and decided to take delivery as there was no alternative way.

Delivery Pic:
(We tried to smile but dad was grumpy)
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_16.jpg

We were upset, so left without clicking further pictures at the dealership.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_17.jpg
Clicked the Bear (we named it) at Sher-E-Bengal dhaba when we took a break to have some snacks while returning. Notice they did not even install mud flaps saying it is out of stock.

Additional:

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_22.jpg

Key design is good. Notice there are scratches on the key and the tags are almost gone. Don't know who-else handles new car keys like Dulichand does.

24 December 2022:
Took the new car to Nachinda Temple, where we bring all our cars and bikes for Puja.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_28.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_31.jpg
Pandit ji doing the puja.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_29.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_27.jpg
Looks stunning in this dual shade.

BUT

While returning home, I tried to showcase sports mode to my family but to my surprise car was unstable and there was a wobbling felt in the steering whenever crossed 100 kmph.
I was shocked and devastated. One day old car giving such issue is unexpected!

It was evening till we reached home so called it a day.

25 December 2022: We cancelled our family outing plan and I took my car to nearest MRF franchise. I wanted to check the alignment of the wheels before raising it to Tata as the showroom is 150 km away.

MRF guys opened the wheel and my eyes literally popped out.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_34.jpg

Approximately 200 grams of dried mud in each wheel !! That too in a brand-new car! They just scraped them using screwdriver and brushes and fitted them. All the issues were resolved immediately!

I have no idea where they kept the car or where they drove it before delivery! And how come they didn't even clean it! Tried to raise a complaint with Tata Motors but unfortunately, they diverted the issue to Dulichand Tata. The guy who was handling my case repetitively told me that they will foam wash the car and polish in first service and closed it begging pardon.

I somehow felt these will never get in the notice of higher officials and things won't change.

I decided to enjoy my new ride instead of dragging the issue.

So after 1250 kms of driving here is my take on Nexon.

Pros
  1. Great build quality
  2. High seating position gives a commanding feeling
  3. Ventilated seats are amazing
  4. Sunroof is small but allows light to enter
  5. Huge ground clearance means I never thought of touching anything underneath
  6. Very stable at high speeds
  7. 6 th gear is too good for triple-digit cruising speeds
  8. Cruise control lets you roll at 100 kmph while being at 2k rpm

Cons
  1. Bad fit and finish
  2. Light interior is easy to get dirty
  3. Sometimes the engine vibrates and asks for a downshift
  4. Gear slotting is bit hard sometimes
  5. Low beam is weak.
  6. Horn is funny
  7. No rear fog lamp but there is a cutout on the rear bumper. Looks pathetic
  8. A pillar creates a good blind spot for the driver
  9. iRA is waste. It has mind of its own and the iPhone app is buggy.

But for the price paid, I am very satisfied with the overall experience. I understand that I paid bit extra for Jet edition but trust me
it stands out differently in traffic. Also the ventilated seats offer me comfort of a segment up car.

Bonus clicks:
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_18.jpg
Looks like a stolen Range Rover design from the front.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_19.jpg
Coupe-type finish at the rear feels appealing and adds up to aerodynamics.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_24.jpg
Tiger checking ground clearance.
FYI He is an independent cat. Just visits my garage sometimes for inspection.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_25.jpg
Tiger casually posing after approving the car.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20.jpg
Dulichand badge looks painful to my eyes.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_21.jpg

Removed Dulichand and added legacy.

Will keep on posting updates while I enjoy this beast.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-pxl_20220813_040941864.jpg
My OG Glanza as seen in my Ranchi travelogue.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_23.jpg
Two keys side by side.
rajarshi94 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 19:13   #5074

Hi all,
After much contemplation I brought home the Nexon XM Petrol variant. Options considered were Brezza LXi and Citroen C3 Turbo.

As per the clear direction of many seniors here, I was diligently reading the owner's manual and came across this regarding the running-in of the vehicle. As you can see in Pic 1 (page 116), it says 'Do not exceed following speeds', but there is no table below this. Just a blank page.

Could it be they want us to refer to the table published in the previous page? (Pic 2, page 115)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230117_190236__01.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230117_190249__01.jpg  

Maverick_1662 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 08:53   #5075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarshi94 View Post
I booked the Jet edition which was ready in stock and could be delivered in December itself.
Congratulations on your new car. I like the design of Nexon and this dual-tone shade looks really nice.

I am sorry to hear about the pathetic delivery experience. It is a very well-known fact that many Tata dealerships provide a pathetic experience to paying customers. The peegate scandal and many other incidents just prove again and again that regardless of what type of products Tata makes, they just don't care about their customers.

Hopefully, you will find a service center that is better and will put a continuous smile during your ownership period.
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 10:54   #5076
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the new car ! Very upsetting how a lot of TATA dealers are hell bent in ruining a new car experience for customers who paid so much. And even more frustrating how TATA has zero control on their dealers too.

Having said that, my colleague bought a new Nexon in Chennai and is very happy with the dealer.

As you rightly said, enjoy the car and wish you miles of smiles.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 20:14   #5077
RRM
BHPian

Congrats on the new car. The colour looks great and a different one that I saw so far. Usually it is blue that have seen predominantly. Enjoy the drive and look for either a good service centre that is customer oriented, which is hard to find or there may be good FNGs that excel in Tata product workmanship and do better than service centres

It’s surprising to see mud in the tyre which means someone was enjoying it before delivering?

TATA continuous to excel very well in providing poor experience to customer whether it’s a new car delivery or service side. They seem to have left the customers at dealer mercy. Making good product is great but what matters is the customer experience. They are cashing in “make in India” stuff

What’s the point in showcasing new cars when they have failed pathetically in keeping existing customers happy and take care of niggles. The facelift as they call, is expected to be released by resolving previous issues but this brand continues to carry forward the issues. They have enough data in internet to look through and take actions but alas!
RRM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 21:23   #5078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM View Post
It’s surprising to see mud in the tyre which means someone was enjoying it before delivering?
Or maybe like many dealerships - the yard is an unpaved place with mud enroute / in the storage area. Quite often have seen this across many dealerships. And the drivers who take the cars there, have 0 care about what they are driving through & at what speed. Thats India. Not the brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM View Post
What’s the point in showcasing new cars when they have failed pathetically in keeping existing customers happy and take care of niggles. The facelift as they call, is expected to be released by resolving previous issues but this brand continues to carry forward the issues. They have enough data in internet to look through and take actions but alas!
If the sample data source of this opinion is the data available on the internet to begin with - IMO that is primarily skewed. Of course TaMo does have its fair share of issues - but your post makes it look like the 20-40K odd customers per month are all being sold lemons. Trust me they are not. Happy stories are aplenty, they just aren't told since there is no reason. Definitely there is a room for improvement in each area, but for sure the improvement is visible regularly & no car maker becomes #3 from nowhere in India, by fluke.

In this OP's case - we have a car with mud inside alloy wheels - that got fixed easily. What issues are being carried forward in the facelift of the Nexon I wonder?

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th January 2023 at 21:24.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 00:22   #5079
BHPian

[Update] ODO 1850kms.

Feedback so far:
  1. If TATA changes/improves the infotainment system then it's a perfect package. It keeps on hanging with apple car play.
    (Personally, I am not a fan of big touchscreens. I don't use infotainment other than checking navigation as it hampers my driving pleasure. So this time size does not matter but quality does.)
  2. Also, I hope they add more powerful low-beam bulbs in the next iteration. It lacks power on narrow state highways with upcoming traffic.
  3. Personally, I don't have complaints against the turbocharged three-cylinder petrol engine as I feel it is a balance of both needs (power and fuel efficiency). But just wish if it could get bit more refined in nature.
  4. I also have a Toyota Glanza OG with typical MSIL transmission so the transmission of Nexon feels tighter/ resistant if compared.
rajarshi94 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 08:50   #5080
BHPian

Quote:
[Update] ODO 1850kms.

Feedback so far:
  1. If TATA changes/improves the infotainment system then it's a perfect package. It keeps on hanging with apple car play.
  2. I also have a Toyota Glanza OG with typical MSIL transmission so the transmission of Nexon feels tighter/ resistant if compared.
It was nice going through your delivery experience, as well I felt how hurting it is to take delivery of a car with all such niggles. I own vehicles from 3 prominent Indian brands, and for Tata, the experience remains the same with Lexus and TC Motors starting from the delivery down to all the PMS.
Blooming Flower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 19:18   #5081
BHPian

Quote:
We were upset, so left without clicking further pictures at the dealership.
Many congratulations on the new Nexon. It should work great after a thorough cleanup. You can get the car detailed at a place near Triangular Park. I don't recall the name at the moment. They do a fabulous job.

At least you were able to close the deal. A very close friend was trying to buy the Harrier Dark Edition in Bangalore sometime in 2021.

We couldn't get a single dealership in Bangalore to call us back or show a demo car. Finally they went down to the dealership in Whitefield but the sales folks were least interested in negotiating.

They lost interest and picked up a XUV700. They loved the Mahindra interaction and the mStallion so much that they picked up a 2022 Thar as well.

I'm astonished at the number of cars Tata Motors sells in spite of the dealerships. The dealers are a lazy unprofessional bunch. Imagine if they had dealership discipline like a Maruti or Toyota. I'm sure Tata Motors would comfortably be at No.2 by volumes.
cooldip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 20:13   #5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_1662 View Post
came across this regarding the running-in of the vehicle. As you can see in Pic 1 (page 116), it says 'Do not exceed following speeds', but there is no table below this. Just a blank page.

Could it be they want us to refer to the table published in the previous page? (Pic 2, page 115)
Any insights on this would be helpful!! Thanks in advance
Recent owners of Nexon, what method you followed when running-in your car
Old 22nd January 2023, 09:14   #5083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_1662 View Post
Any insights on this would be helpful!! Thanks in advance
Recent owners of Nexon, what method you followed when running-in your car
For any vehicle, do not exceed 2000rpm for about 5k km.

As for the Nexon, do fluctuate between the driving modes.

If you're living/driving in dusty conditions, do clean/replace air filter every 3/4k km.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 11:58   #5084
BHPian

The part with Tata emblem on one of my tyres alloy has fallen off. Please refer the pic.Where do you think I can get a replacement of the emblem part?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230122_114419.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20230122_114332.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2023, 22:40   #5085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
The part with Tata emblem on one of my tyres alloy has fallen off. Please refer the pic.Where do you think I can get a replacement of the emblem part?
It is available at TATA service centres at reasonable prices.

Also available on online sites like Boodmo.

Most Viewed